PDA

View Full Version : TIP: Console Commands...automated sort of...

WWSensei
03-11-2004, 08:53 PM
Ever have a set of commands in your rcu file and want them to automatically take affect without having to Shift-Tab?

Let's say I want my favorite icons settings to autoset when I play.

Do the following:
In the rcu file add the line

@file iconset

like this:

@set fast off
@set echo on
@set alias on
@set history 20
@file iconset <---------

@alias a alias
@a h history
@a s show

OK, next step. Create a file called "iconset"

In it place the lines:

mp_dotrange COLOR .001 DOT 15 RANGE .001 TYPE 1 ID .25 NAME .001
timeout 30000 file iconset

That sets your icons and then 30 seconds later sets them again and so on...yeah, it's an endless loop but it's trivial. Anyway, any other type of commands you want to keep running can be thrown in there as well. You can adjust the time as need too.

WWSensei
03-11-2004, 08:53 PM
Ever have a set of commands in your rcu file and want them to automatically take affect without having to Shift-Tab?

Let's say I want my favorite icons settings to autoset when I play.

Do the following:
In the rcu file add the line

@file iconset

like this:

@set fast off
@set echo on
@set alias on
@set history 20
@file iconset &lt;---------

@alias a alias
@a h history
@a s show

OK, next step. Create a file called "iconset"

In it place the lines:

mp_dotrange COLOR .001 DOT 15 RANGE .001 TYPE 1 ID .25 NAME .001
timeout 30000 file iconset

That sets your icons and then 30 seconds later sets them again and so on...yeah, it's an endless loop but it's trivial. Anyway, any other type of commands you want to keep running can be thrown in there as well. You can adjust the time as need too.

Aviar
03-11-2004, 09:25 PM
Sounds good, but could you elaborate about the last line (timeout 30000 file iconset).

Sorry, but I'm just wondering about this command. I usually activate the icon settings once at the start of the session. Why would you want to keep looping the icon settings every 30 seconds?

Could you just run the '@file iconset' command without the 'timeout' part?

How about using the file iconset command with a dedicated server? I was thinking specifically about resetting the time every so often. As I'm sure you know, we can't change the time in a dedicated server once it has loaded. In this case, it would be a welcome addition to our command choices.

Aviar

--------------------------
AMD XP 2600+
EPoX EP-8K9AI Mobo
1536Mb DDR PC 2100 RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
SoundBlaster Audigy 2
Klipsch 5.1 THX Certified Speakers
CH FighterStick USB
CH Pro Throttle USB
CH Pro Pedals USB
Thrustmaster Tacticalboard
--------------------------

WWSensei
03-11-2004, 09:48 PM
I just have it run every 30 secs so I don't have to worry about it ever again. At worst I'll see default icons for 30 secs and then get my preferences. i.e. if I restart a mission they will get run. For icons it may not be necessary absolutely but if you wanted to run a STAT command periodically you could use that. I've just run into a few times where for some reason a file command would run once and never again and this seems to correct that...