PDA

View Full Version : Slow motion during combat

Improvizor
06-05-2012, 03:07 PM
In this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZrklEy9ohQ) you can notice that when Connor is fighting those Redcoats in the woods, occasionally the game will trigger small slow motion scenes. In the middle of freakin' combat.

That's a bad thing. It's always a bad thing. It completely kills the immersion and it adds nothing meaningful to the experience. Slow motion is fine in cutscenes because it adds to the dramatic experience and it creates a scene, but during combat it just makes you feel like you lost control over the character and gameplay. This seems to be the new trend in Ubisoft. You can see the same thing in new Splinter Cell footage and in Watch Dogs demo.

Just think about it. You're fighting your way through a horde of enemies, completely immersed, and suddenly for no reason the game decides to put you in slow motion. For some inexplicable reason, killing that particular generic guy is more important than the rest of generic guys you just slaughtered. It's quite annoying, really.

Please, for the love of all that you hold dear, remove slow motion from combat, or at least give us the option to turn it off.

RzaRecta357
06-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Yeah. Wasn't that Revelations terrible new kill cam?

I miss the AC2 style kill cams. I'm over the revelations slow motion.

ProletariatPleb
06-05-2012, 03:11 PM
I remember reading an interview that now Counter isn't just hold block and press attack, now counter opens a window where you choose what you wanna do, counter attack or some other thing(I forgot what the other thing was).

Serrachio
06-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Whether or not a menu pops up, we don't need the game to slow to a crawl, all because the developers want to say "Oooh, it's sooooo lethal, look at how lethal it is! Go on, have a good look, because it's there for you to see for, like, a whole 5 seconds!"

Sometimes the impact is in the speed, but not like the speed in their "action shots" in recent trailers as of late.

SixKeys
06-05-2012, 03:44 PM
The slo-mo in the AC3 demo didn't bother me at all, in fact it helped keep track of the combat which was more fast-paced. Much less obnoxious than the kill cams in Revelations.

ProletariatPleb
06-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Whether or not a menu pops up, we don't need the game to slow to a crawl, all because the developers want to say "Oooh, it's sooooo lethal, look at how lethal it is! Go on, have a good look, because it's there for you to see for, like, a whole 5 seconds!"

Sometimes the impact is in the speed, but not like the speed in their "action shots" in recent trailers as of late.
That's not what it is, if you don't want the window you can just tap the counter button again, that window is just a new option.

Serrachio
06-05-2012, 04:53 PM
That's not what it is, if you don't want the window you can just tap the counter button again, that window is just a new option.

So... if I press the button to counter, it then asks me if I want to dodge? Where's the point in that?

I press the counter button to counter, and I press the dodge button to dodge. Why do I need a menu to appear?

ProletariatPleb
06-05-2012, 04:59 PM
So... if I press the button to counter, it then asks me if I want to dodge? Where's the point in that?

I press the counter button to counter, and I press the dodge button to dodge. Why do I need a menu to appear?
I think because the button is literally counter now and not counter attack/kill. I dunno, I'm only guessing the possibilities. They did say they were trying to simplify control tho, so maybe that's why. The interview was a video(with Alex), on GameInformer, you could check it out.