PDA

View Full Version : Assassins Of The Caribbean

frogger504
06-05-2012, 02:47 AM
In case you haven't been watching Sony... they just showed new exclusive gameplay of something completely new and out of the blue. There is a whole new range of gameplay out in the seas as Conner is a captain in charge of a ship fighting out in the seas. Not scripted, complete control, completely epic. What do you think of this?

I personally hope it isn't just a single mission. I hope its a part of the game, battles out in the seas, exploring several islands and such, judging by what they said it just might be a decent sized part of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mlTKtjbsDs

smengler
06-05-2012, 02:49 AM
I also hope that you can do this outside of a mission. Just like free-roaming in the frontier, maybe you can grab a boat and explore.

rileypoole1234
06-05-2012, 02:51 AM
I just posted this in another thread:

SHIP BATTLES!

SHIP BATTLES!

I'm freaking out right now...eliuvjwirhtrelisnrefdvrvdr GOD!

Reminds me of Pirates of the Caribbean... Good God tears are flowing... It looks so incredible... Jesus Mary and Joseph help me... Make October 30th come quicker... It looks so good! I've always wanted to have a Naval ship battle like in Pirates of the Caribbean... Yes yes yes yes yes!

BATISTABUS
06-05-2012, 02:53 AM
I'M ON A BOAT!

They better have a multiplayer version of this. That would be so hype. I was totally not expecting this, I'm so excited.

In reality, it'll probably be another case of Den Defense, but for now, I'm pumped.

frogger504
06-05-2012, 02:53 AM
I'M ON A BOAT!

They better have a multiplayer version of this. That would be so hype. I was totally not expecting this, I'm so excited.

In reality, it'll probably be another case of Den Defense, but for now, I'm pumped.

I think the word you are looking for is Mini-Game

GeneralTrumbo
06-05-2012, 02:54 AM
Wait...there was another gameplay demo??

Assassin_M
06-05-2012, 02:55 AM
Wait...there was another gameplay demo??
Yuuuuuuuuuuup

smengler
06-05-2012, 02:56 AM
There's been two gameplay videos out of a supposed 4. My guess is that there will be one tomorrow at the AC event, and one more on Thursday.

GeneralTrumbo
06-05-2012, 02:58 AM
Looking for it now.

smengler
06-05-2012, 03:00 AM
Low Quality - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mlTKtjbsDs

GeneralTrumbo
06-05-2012, 03:00 AM
How far into the conference was it??

GeneralTrumbo
06-05-2012, 03:01 AM
low quality - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mltktjbsds
let me kiss you.

SixKeys
06-05-2012, 03:01 AM
How far into the conference was it??

It was at the Sony conference, at about 30 minutes in, I think.

rileypoole1234
06-05-2012, 03:02 AM
I doubt it'll be a minigame. I think the Caribbean sea will be free roam in a ship.

Since you can walk around on the ship maybe you'll be able to get off and walk on small islands. That would be awesome.

GeneralTrumbo
06-05-2012, 03:04 AM
This game looks beautiful on all fronts.

GeneralTrumbo
06-05-2012, 03:04 AM
I want to know some more about Desmond's gameplay, though. Not much has been said. I bet it will be a sight to see.

SixKeys
06-05-2012, 03:06 AM
I doubt it'll be a minigame. I think the Caribbean sea will be free roam in a ship.

Since you can walk around on the ship maybe you'll be able to get off and walk on small islands. That would be awesome.

Personally I doubt that. I suspect these naval battles will be more like the Leonardo's machines missions.

dxsxhxcx
06-05-2012, 03:23 AM
Connor looks pretty cool in that outfit but I hope they have a very good explanation to how he knows how to control a ship of that size, I don't think that is something you can do/learn that easily...

Vex_Assassin
06-05-2012, 03:23 AM
"a weather system that can change at any moment" Dynamic weather, **** yeah!

SixKeys
06-05-2012, 03:28 AM
"a weather system that can change at any moment" Dynamic weather, **** yeah!

Pretty sure that storm was specific to the sequence though. Maybe certain memories will always have certain weather conditions but during free roam it will be dynamic.

Vex_Assassin
06-05-2012, 03:32 AM
Pretty sure that storm was specific to the sequence though. Maybe certain memories will always have certain weather conditions but during free roam it will be dynamic.

Ya you're probably right. Some memories will have certain weather to stay true to history as much as possible. I'm still happy there's dynamic weather though.

BATISTABUS
06-05-2012, 03:34 AM
Higher-quality version.
http://youtu.be/TpBL-g9-Ss4

GeneralTrumbo
06-05-2012, 03:35 AM
I can't wait to hear about the other new systems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We still have 2 more demos during E3 to be shown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

egriffin09
06-05-2012, 04:07 AM
Glad to hear that we will get to accumulate alot of side quest in a list (like skyrim).

Zrvan
06-05-2012, 04:25 AM
OMGOMGOMG PLEASE tell me we get to ride with John Paul Jones for the attack on Whitehaven.

breedlove94
06-05-2012, 04:58 AM
Thought this song seemed appropriate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI6CfKcMhjY :p I think these missions will be in search of a PoE

salted onions
06-05-2012, 05:26 AM
More tricorn hats! Yes. All the tricorn hats! Bwahaha.

BK-110
06-05-2012, 05:52 AM
This one really did come as a surprise. I thought there wouldn't be more after the Liberation trailer, but this was most certainly a pleasant surprise. I sure hope that it's possible to do this outside of missions. Bigger surprise: Connor's outfit during the sequence. Pretty cool.

playassassins1
06-05-2012, 07:37 AM
Captain Connor Sparrow... Hehe

souNdwAve89
06-05-2012, 08:46 AM
The song used made the video so epic. I love how beautiful the landscape is from the water to weather change. It was awesome to see the swell rising up and down and seeing the boat rocking back and forth, which made the battle more intense.

TorQue1988
06-05-2012, 09:32 AM
This is unbelievably awesome and unexpected. But the way you control the ship seems a little awkward; i'm no expert but doesn't it move too fast (even if it's just for gameplay reasons)?
Anyway, I can't believe I ever doubted this game, it looks absolutely fantastic. Ubisoft have outdone themselves this year; so many great games: AC3, AC Liberation, Watch Dogs, Far Cry 3, Splinter Cell Blacklist. They owned E3.

Scystab
06-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Darn tricorn hats.... I always thought they look ridiculous. Now i have to get one for myself.

But i still hope we'll be able to wear teh hoodie like 99% of the time :p

POP1Fan
06-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Assassins vs Pirates 2012
harr harr Templars.

freddie_1897
06-05-2012, 09:59 AM
This reminds me of Sid Meier's pirates!

Did anyone else play that game or was it just me?

lukaszep
06-05-2012, 11:32 AM
This is amazing. The game play looks perfect! As i finished watching the video, a video from AC:B was suggested, the mission with Leonardo's war boat. I looked at it and laughed. AC3 is a giant step up from the previous games.
Just hope they don't show too much before release like they did with Revelations, I might have to go dark soon!

AnthonyA85
06-05-2012, 01:20 PM
ok, that was impressive.

but as much as i would like this to be free raom, i highly suspect that it will be a linier story mission, i would love to be wrong though.

the only nitpick i have, is that every shot connor's ship fired seemed to magically hit the powder magazines of the enemy ships, they all snuffed it a bit too fast, but then, i suspect that was done for demo purposes.

SixKeys
06-05-2012, 01:48 PM
ok, that was impressive.

but as much as i would like this to be free raom, i highly suspect that it will be a linier story mission, i would love to be wrong though.

the only nitpick i have, is that every shot connor's ship fired seemed to magically hit the powder magazines of the enemy ships, they all snuffed it a bit too fast, but then, i suspect that was done for demo purposes.

The demo may have been on god mode, but there were a few shots that weren't aimed very well and most of the cannon balls ended up flying past the enemy into the sea. So it's not like you don't even have to try, you just have to hit them in the right spots. BTW, I loved the damage done to Connor's ship when they got hit, for a moment there I was actually worried.

Assassin_M
06-05-2012, 01:57 PM
The Naval War demo was Impressive in many departments.
Visually: The Water looked Stunning, the texture makes it look so beautiful and natural, the motion of the tides was NOT scripted, meaning that it was completely random and not following a set of Commands and animations that keep on looping. The Vistas and small Islands looked Gorgeous, true there was the occasional Off-spots here and there but, nonetheless, absolutely amazing how they managed to implement such Technology on current-Gen consoles..

Gameplay: I was worried at first, but as the Demo went on I was convinced of its ability to deliver a great and different experience. The Ship`s mechanics look and feel very generic and organic, the commands and actions seem a bit too easy, but presumably that's just the demo. all in all a very nice change of pace.

SixKeys
06-05-2012, 02:20 PM
This reminds me of Sid Meier's pirates!

Did anyone else play that game or was it just me?

That was my first thought as well. Great game. :) Weren't you also allowed to choose your own ammo in that game, like shrapnel? There seemed to be something similar in the AC3 demo.

The Naval War demo was Impressive in many departments.
Visually: The Water looked Stunning, the texture makes it look so beautiful and natural, the motion of the tides was NOT scripted, meaning that it was completely random and not following a set of Commands and animations that keep on looping. The Vistas and small Islands looked Gorgeous, true there was the occasional Off-spots here and there but, nonetheless, absolutely amazing how they managed to implement such Technology on current-Gen consoles..

I agree, the water looked amazing. It really adds to the tension when your vision of the enemy is being obscured by the freaking mountainous wave right in front of you. Also loved the lightning effects.

Tuna...no.crust
06-05-2012, 02:31 PM
And where in the ASSASSINS Creed franchise does this exactly fit in?
Since when did fighting the templars in a supposedly stealth game have anything to do with naval battles?

IMO they could have used that energy towards the Desmond part of the game, not making a sea warfare mini-game that looks better than any of the games actually dedicated to that mechanic.

Also, LOL @ the " You're fighting the templars, not the british " statement they have been making since announcing the game. We haven't seen a single non-redcoat get assassinated or murdered.
Not that I give a sh1t, I just find it amusing.

Serrachio
06-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Since when did fighting the templars in a supposedly stealth game have anything to do with naval battles?

IMO they could have used that energy towards the Desmond part of the game, not making a sea warfare mini-game that looks better than any of the games actually dedicated to that mechanic.

Also, LOL @ the " You're fighting the templars, not the british " statement they have been making since announcing the game. We haven't seen a single non-redcoat get assassinated or murdered.
Not that I give a sh1t, I just find it amusing.

...And what if the Templar is on a ship and you have to board it to kill them?

Did you think of that?

Also, Assassin's Creed is not solely stealth based. It's focused on social stealth, combat and freedom of movement. I'm kind of tired how people can't just understand this by now. You're an Assassin, your order might be secret, but you don't need to be. Assassins kill. That doesn't require them to be in the shadows all the time.

SixKeys
06-05-2012, 02:53 PM

AC was never an exclusively stealth game. All the missions in AC1 can be completed just by barging in and killing everyone if you wish. Stealth is just a more rewarding option. The flying machine in AC2 also had nothing to do with stealth, it was just about getting to your target in the most efficient way.

We haven't even seen anything about Desmond in this game yet (and I doubt we will as it might ruin the plot), how do you know they haven't spent lots of time on his share as well as Connor's missions?

BATISTABUS
06-05-2012, 03:25 PM
I'm very impressed with this game mode, but unless we see something very different within the next few months, it looks like stealth is taking a back seat yet again. Whether we like it or not, Assassin is the name of the faction, but not necessarily the style of killer one is. :(

itsamea-mario
06-05-2012, 03:36 PM
this looks really quite cool.

I like that outfit, i hope we get to keep it.
I wonder how connor found his way to becoming captain of a ship?

AlexFly
06-05-2012, 03:41 PM
I saw this looked outstanding ! I really loved watching it !

Tuna...no.crust
06-05-2012, 03:58 PM
...And what if the Templar is on a ship and you have to board it to kill them?

Did you think of that?

Also, Assassin's Creed is not solely stealth based. It's focused on social stealth, combat and freedom of movement. I'm kind of tired how people can't just understand this by now. You're an Assassin, your order might be secret, but you don't need to be. Assassins kill. That doesn't require them to be in the shadows all the time.

I understand what you're saying, but from the gameplay demos it seems like there is not much emphasis on stealth, just charge in and take on all the English you want.

I doubt many "templars" were on those ships, seeing as they yelled " THE ENGLISH ARE COMING " and what not.

itsamea-mario
06-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Assassin doesn't mean stealth, it means killing someone for a reason be it financial, political etc..
added to that, the assassins in these games are a faction, and not necessarily 'hitmen'.
I imagine a good number of the Templar are on the side of the English, so it's not a bad idea to make friends with the colonials, helping them win a naval battle will help that.

Tuna...no.crust
06-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Assassin doesn't mean stealth, it means killing someone for a reason be it financial, political etc..
added to that, the assassins in these games are a faction, and not necessarily 'hitmen'.
I imagine a good number of the Templar are on the side of the English, so it's not a bad idea to make friends with the colonials, helping them win a naval battle will help that.

I guess you're right, but it just scares me that it's turning out more and more action-y. Just doesn't seem to fit the franchise IMO.

itsamea-mario
06-05-2012, 04:28 PM
I guess you're right, but it just scares me that it's turning out more and more action-y. Just doesn't seem to fit the franchise IMO.

Well, there's now a proper sneaking ability, and you can stealth kill from corners now, so i think they are adding some more options when it comes to stealth.

freddie_1897
06-05-2012, 04:47 PM
I think you'll find that all the templars are on the English side for the simple fact that both the colonials and the redcoats were English. That's something people forget, the revolution was almost a civil war

Tuna...no.crust
06-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Well, there's now a proper sneaking ability, and you can stealth kill from corners now, so i think they are adding some more options when it comes to stealth.

True, I just hope that the mission design allows you to approach it stealthily, instead of it being a scripted event or chase.

LieutenantJojo
06-05-2012, 05:04 PM
I understand what you're saying, but from the gameplay demos it seems like there is not much emphasis on stealth, just charge in and take on all the English you want.

I doubt many "templars" were on those ships, seeing as they yelled " THE ENGLISH ARE COMING " and what not.

I'm actually quite sure there IS a templar on the last ship. You can see Connor charging towards the ship at the end of the video, which indicates that he's moving in for the assassination. All the other ships were simply collateral damage. He had to destroy those ships to get to his target.

luckyto
06-05-2012, 06:27 PM
I LOVE IT! Good job, Ubi, good job!

SleezeRocker
06-05-2012, 06:44 PM
I was very surprised (in a good way) to see a Naval Battle in AC3!
When I played that Leo Mission in Brotherhood using the prototype Naval cannon, I always wondered how fighting with an actual ship would be. Now AC3 will deliver me that fantasy :)

BATISTABUS
06-05-2012, 10:50 PM
http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/06/05/ign-live-assassins-creed-iii-demo-e3-2012

Navel battles confirmed for SINGLE PLAYER ONLY. Not really a surprise, but I was really hoping for multiplayer on this one. However, in the video it is implied that there will be more sea-based free-roam than we might've initially suspected.

rileypoole1234
06-05-2012, 11:08 PM
http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/06/05/ign-live-assassins-creed-iii-demo-e3-2012

Navel battles confirmed for SINGLE PLAYER ONLY. Not really a surprise, but I was really hoping for multiplayer on this one. However, in the video it is implied that there will be more sea-based free-roam than we might've initially suspected.

They confirmed today that we can free roam the Caribbean Sea and the eastern seaboard of the US whenever we want.

SleezeRocker
06-05-2012, 11:22 PM
They confirmed today that we can free roam the Caribbean Sea and the eastern seaboard of the US whenever we want.

;)

I will be doing alot of *puts on shades* Pirating lol

BATISTABUS
06-05-2012, 11:44 PM
I said this on one of the Youtube videos (and got seriously flamed for some reason), but I really want to be able to hunt whales. It'd seem like a major waste to simply sail on open waters without anything to do, and I doubt we'll have infinite ships to fight (who knows...we might). It's about as close to a Dragon fight we could ever get in the AC universe. Thoughts?

rileypoole1234
06-05-2012, 11:56 PM
I said this on one of the Youtube videos (and got seriously flamed for some reason), but I really want to be able to hunt whales. It'd seem like a major waste to simply sail on open waters without anything to do, and I doubt we'll have infinite ships to fight (who knows...we might). It's about as close to a Dragon fight we could ever get in the AC universe. Thoughts?

I don't care if we can hunt or not, but I definitely want to see wildlife in the sea and ocean.

LieutenantJojo
06-05-2012, 11:58 PM
I wonder if we are going to be stuck on the boat or if it's possible to jump off and swim to a piece of land.

And I think I heard that the player's ship is also sinkable, so what happens when it sinks? Will you automatically die or what?

rob.davies2014
06-05-2012, 11:59 PM

Matt Turner said in an interview that Connor is hunting a Templar on that ship.
http://uk.ign.com/videos/2012/06/05/ign-live-assassins-creed-iii-demo-e3-2012

Azurefeatherfly
06-06-2012, 12:06 AM
Can anyone tell me the source that confirmed the Ship Free-roam, where exactly did this information come from?

SleezeRocker
06-06-2012, 12:14 AM
I don't care if we can hunt or not, but I definitely want to see wildlife in the sea and ocean.

*cough* Kraken AC2 easter egg..... ;)

smengler
06-06-2012, 12:21 AM
Can anyone tell me the source that confirmed the Ship Free-roam, where exactly did this information come from?

There was an interview. Try about 1:59:40 here (http://e3.gamespot.com/live-show/live-show-day-1/),

AdamXEve
06-06-2012, 12:19 PM
This addition is a tyranical mistake of epic proportion.

Assassin_M
06-06-2012, 12:20 PM
This addition is a tyranical mistake of epic proportion In my Opinion.
*fixed

AdamXEve
06-06-2012, 12:23 PM
You'll see.

Assassin_M
06-06-2012, 12:24 PM
You'll see.
I already did and Im loving it..
as a matter of fact, most of us love it..

AdamXEve
06-06-2012, 12:27 PM
People liked tower defense at first. These sections should be replaced with more Desmond gameplay.

alientraveller
06-06-2012, 12:29 PM
I found Den Defense too difficult and always ensured it never happened. Contrastively, I leapt for joy with the revelation of naval battles.

Assassin_M
06-06-2012, 12:29 PM
People liked tower defense at first. These sections should be replaced with more Desmond gameplay.
Nope..
ALOT of people were skeptical about Tower defense..
The only people who liked DD were the ones who were positive about it when it was announced..

Azurefeatherfly
06-06-2012, 01:00 PM
There were two problems with Den Defence in my opinion and both were self-explanatory.

First, why was Ezio commanding Assassins when he could have been fighting on the ground and attacking the Templars with other Assassins?

Second, The whole thing was trivialized when you could just kill the Templar Captain immediately after your Den was taken over.

Naval Warfare is completely different and free-roam just makes this absolutely amazing.

1. Connor is not only participating in the battle but also he himself is making all the commands, in other words the player is not taken out of the game.

2. This is not a trivial mechanic that the player can toss to the side, because it is integrated into plot and story with excellent writing from Corey May.

3. Explorers, treasure and knowledge seekers as well as pirates were a prominent thing back in that period, so why not do it when it fits the period perfectly.

4. Connor goes where ever Templars are, is he just going to abandon his target just because the Templar escapes by sea? He should everything in his power to chase them down.

Naval Warfare is a beautiful addition to this franchise in my opinion and I cannot wait to face the most powerful Navy in the world.

lukaszep
06-06-2012, 01:00 PM
How can anyone hate the Naval gameplay? It's no where near as much a deviation away from AC gameplay as Den Defence was.
It looks incredible. And it's free roam!

Assassin_M
06-06-2012, 01:03 PM
So Uhhh Who else is gonna just sail to the open and admire the sunset ?

BeCk41
06-06-2012, 01:20 PM
this looks super cool and very Pirates of the Caribbeany... all thats missing is Jack Sparrow ;)

Assassin_M
06-06-2012, 01:22 PM
this looks super cool and very Pirates of the Caribbeany... all thats missing is Jack Sparrow ;)
Connor will do Ok :p

LieutenantJojo
06-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Connor will do Ok :p

That's CAPTAIN Connor, mate!

Assassin_M
06-06-2012, 01:32 PM
That's CAPTAIN Connor, mate!
Ay, Sir
Off-topic: you might want to re-size your Avatar to 50*50, because the current size will lead to it being removed..

LieutenantJojo
06-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Ay, Sir
Off-topic: you might want to re-size your Avatar to 50*50, because the current size will lead to it being removed..

Oh, okay. Thanks for the heads up :)

Assassin_M
06-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Oh, okay. Thanks for the heads up :)
You are welcome;)

AnthonyA85
06-06-2012, 02:31 PM
I hope we see sharks at least, we need some kind of wildlife on the open sea.

And I really hope the sea section is available for free roam POST CAMPAIGN! I remember back before Revelations was released, they said Masyaf was free-roam, they just neglected to mention that it wasn't available outside of the campaign, and worse yet, wasn't actually free roam, the 3 or 4 times we were in Masyaf, we were pretty much restricted on where we could go.

Assassin_M
06-06-2012, 02:34 PM
I hope we see sharks at least, we need some kind of wildlife on the open sea.

And I really hope the sea section is available for free roam POST CAMPAIGN! I remember back before Revelations was released, they said Masyaf was free-roam, they just neglected to mention that it wasn't available outside of the campaign, and worse yet, wasn't actually free roam, the 3 or 4 times we were in Masyaf, we were pretty much restricted on where we could go.
The Masyaf Free roam info came from an Unreliable site..
I can guarantee the authenticity of the Sea free roam because of the way it was said, when it was said and by whom it was said..

D173120T
06-06-2012, 05:55 PM
It looks rubbish!The ships seem to be powered by huge monster engines,they respond far too fast.The guns arent firing High explosives!Itz just totally unreal.That said it was a nice idea but needs a lot of work.

Assassin_M
06-06-2012, 06:06 PM
It looks rubbish!The ships seem to be powered by huge monster engines,they respond far too fast.The guns arent firing High explosives!Itz just totally unreal.That said it was a nice idea but needs a lot of work.
Its a game it has to be a bit unrealistic, else it`ll just be annoying if its too realistic..
But hey, seeing you say EVERYTHING in AC III looks rubbish, Im not surprised..

Azurefeatherfly
06-06-2012, 06:23 PM

It is a game first and foremost factor is that the gameplay is fun. It must be fun and this is not a reality simulator. How do you even define when and where the line between realism and gameplay is crossed? There are plenty of unrealistic things in previous Assassin's Creed games, and it is completely subjective whether it is appropriate to sacrifice realism for gameplay.

D173120T
06-06-2012, 06:46 PM
But hey, seeing you say EVERYTHING in AC III looks rubbish, Im not surprised..

Not true.I have had some faith restored by the Boston video.Its got a great atmosphere,looks sumptious,the Scottish Soldier in the kilt looks awesome(i do so hope hes a player character in MP)The general ambiance gets the era spot on.A few dodgy accents but hey i can live with that.I am looking forward to see Connor kill some rebels as well.

Locopells
06-08-2012, 01:43 AM
I'm sorry, I HAVE to do this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEBbu-wkKrs

rileypoole1234
06-08-2012, 01:57 AM

You didn't know that there were high power propellers back then?

Teasing of course, but iron shot from a cannon will shatter with a force so great it will seem like an explosion. Don't forget that they're piping hot when they exit the cannon as well, so they would set the wood on fire, which looks quite like an explosion.

Calvarok
06-08-2012, 02:22 AM
I think the speed of the ships and responsiveness of the turning is just a gameplay thing. It's about making the player feel like they're in control, not simulating the exact difficulty of piloting a ship.

Fury074ubi
06-12-2012, 01:41 AM
Yo-Ho, Yo-Ho, an Assassin's life for me! :cool:

obliviondoll
06-12-2012, 02:36 AM

It's a completely separate studio who worked on the naval combat. Not the same people working on the core single player mechanics or the Desmond missions. If they're doing well at the job they're meant to be doing, and the team working on Desmond's part in the story are doing their job, why would you redirect resources from either of these two completely unrelated elements of the game to work on something they've probably barely even seen?

You didn't know that there were high power propellers back then?

Teasing of course, but iron shot from a cannon will shatter with a force so great it will seem like an explosion. Don't forget that they're piping hot when they exit the cannon as well, so they would set the wood on fire, which looks quite like an explosion.

Also keep in mind that you get a range of upgrades to various aspects of your ship, including mobility upgrades AND INCENDIARY SHOT for your cannons.. That would explain the explosions even better than the "looks quite like an explosion" logic already provided.

I won't say that it's perfect, but I don't think it looks as awful as amullins is suggesting either. And for the most part, the lack of realism seems like it's for gameplay purposes, and probably partly due to over-effective upgrades, which I'm hoping they scale back before release.