PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft files complaint against link Author

Assassin_M
05-31-2012, 05:40 PM
http://www.vg247.com/2012/05/31/ubisoft-files-complaint-against-beiswenger-over-entirely-meritless-assassins-creed-lawsuit/

We all knew it wouldnt end, right ?

TheHumanTowel
05-31-2012, 06:07 PM
I think it's because when the author settled he did in a way so he could still bring the charges back up whenever he wanted. Ubi (rightfully so) want to get an ruling that completely shows they didn't plagiarise his book so they can truly end this issue. Otherwise what's stopping Beiswenger from pressing charges again in a few months.

jmk1999
05-31-2012, 06:18 PM
I think it's because when the author settled he did in a way so he could still bring the charges back up whenever he wanted. Ubi (rightfully so) want to get an ruling that completely shows they didn't plagiarise his book so they can truly end this issue. Otherwise what's stopping Beiswenger from pressing charges again in a few months.

that's as i see it... keeps them from incurring any future costs. seems to me like beiswenger wanted time to re-evaluate his case... you know, since it wasn't all that strong to begin with. :rolleyes:

freddie_1897
05-31-2012, 06:19 PM
its a good move, because in the eyes of the court, if Ubisoft HAD taken his idea then they'd most likely keep quiet, but by complaining its shown the court that they're against this even though the trials been called off

SixKeys
05-31-2012, 06:21 PM
Oh snap. I can't help but find this amusing.

freddie_1897
05-31-2012, 06:24 PM
usually companies just pay off the prosecutor, that was probably what beiswenger wanted, but now ubisoft have got their own back, way to go!

AnthonyA85
05-31-2012, 06:26 PM
Ok, who here DIDN'T see this coming? I know i had a feeling Ubi just wouldn't let this drop.

This guy kicked the hornets nest, big time.

Azurefeatherfly
05-31-2012, 06:28 PM
So many lawsuits these days, however this is one of the few that actually have merit. With this, Ubisoft will be able to rid themselves of any worries and concentrate completely on the launch of AC3.

GLHS
05-31-2012, 06:36 PM
GO UBISOFT! Thank you for being smart and standing up against greedy, money hungry narcissists. This makes me so friggin happy. Now that....I'm not even gonna say all the things about him that I wanted to, but now, if they win, he can't file for more money. I'd lmao if they get back everything (and maybe more!) that Game Trailers gave him, and then he'll have nothing. Serves him right and hopefully he'll learn his lesson the hard way.

EscoBlades
05-31-2012, 06:41 PM
Ok, who here DIDN'T see this coming? I know i had a feeling Ubi just wouldn't let this drop.

This guy kicked the hornets nest, big time.

My thoughts exactly as soon as i got the press release. Whoever drafted out Ubi's response must have had Beiswenger's head on a dart board at the time. The wording is legal GOLD, and serves to drive home the point.

As i said right at the start of all of this, he never had much of a case to begin with.

pacmanate
05-31-2012, 07:48 PM
I just hope this doesn't screw up AC3's release. If Ubisoft fail, which I don't will happen, but if AC3 gets delayed..... lets just say it isn't going to end well for the author of that book

danielgervide
05-31-2012, 07:52 PM
GO UBISOFT! Thank you for being smart and standing up against greedy, money hungry narcissists. This makes me so friggin happy. Now that....I'm not even gonna say all the things about him that I wanted to, but now, if they win, he can't file for more money. I'd lmao if they get back everything (and maybe more!) that Game Trailers gave him, and then he'll have nothing. Serves him right and hopefully he'll learn his lesson the hard way.

everyone is money hungry, don't be hypocrit... you are also one and you would have done the same in his place.

I never wished he had earn any money this but i won't flame him because i know i would have done the same in his place.

freddie_1897
05-31-2012, 07:53 PM
everyone is money hungry, don't be hypocrit... you are also one and you would have done the same in his place.

I never wished he had earn any money this but i won't flame him because i know i would have done the same in his place.
look, no offence but you don't know what other people would or wouldn't do in those circumstances. everyones different, don't pretend to know someone you don't

SixKeys
05-31-2012, 08:02 PM
I just hope this doesn't screw up AC3's release. If Ubisoft fail, which I don't will happen, but if AC3 gets delayed..... lets just say it isn't going to end well for the author of that book

The author already dropped his claim which means AC3's release can't be delayed for legal reasons. If the game had any chance of being delayed, it was because he was suing Ubisoft, not the other way around.

pacmanate
05-31-2012, 08:05 PM
The author already dropped his claim which means AC3's release can't be delayed for legal reasons. If the game had any chance of being delayed, it was because he was suing Ubisoft, not the other way around.

So why is Ubisoft sueing him?

freddie_1897
05-31-2012, 08:15 PM
the author can still reopen the case when he wants, so ubisoft is trying to stop him from doing that. it's a good move, Beiswenger probably delayed the court case so that he could make his case better. Ubisoft aren't giving him that chance

morpheusPrime08
05-31-2012, 08:20 PM

Like the other members have stated, just to get it over with. It's almost like he was holding out on the lawsuit in order to get all the information on AC then sue Ubi at the right time AKA right after AC3 has a huge release and makes a ton of money.

freddie_1897
05-31-2012, 08:28 PM
their basically getting it over with before he can come back with a better case against them

GLHS
06-01-2012, 10:47 AM

Ok, that's the second post like this. I let the first one go, but this one is directed at me. First off, as stated above. you don't know me, nor anyone else here, and don't know what they would or wouldn't do. Secondly, while yes, of course everyone wants money, there's a line to be drawn between normal and stupid. I am not stupid enough nor desperate enough to try and sue a multi-million dollar game company b/c I'm a failure. No smart person, or morally good person, for that matter, would concoct such an obviously desperate story to try and prey on other's successes. Thirdly, most people would not agree that they would do the same thing. The only way I would EVER let anything get to that point is if something ACTUALLY was stolen. If I were in his position, I would've done exactly the opposite. I would have seen my book fail, and realized that not everyone liked it, and set out to better my writing skills so I could make a new book. One that would become successful. And, once I had become aware of AC and it's (small) similarities to my book, I would have researched the games and the story, maybe do some cutscene watching, particularly about the Animus and ancestors and realize that the stories really aren't so similar after all. Then, like I said before, I would've moved on and started my next book, like any real author would do.

pacmanate
06-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Well tbh, it seems like Ubisoft DID get the idea from that, however it cannot be proven. AC spreads diversely from whats written in that book. I just want my game yaknow?

Mr_Shade
06-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Not going to happen..

AC3 is safe ;)

I again, ask the AC community to take a step back from this, allow the courts to sort this out, negative ratings on the guys book, only makes it look like he is a victim..

Let the courts settle this once and for all...