PDA

View Full Version : Digital ACR on PSN Question

dpk5e7
05-30-2012, 09:06 PM
So, let me get this straight:

ACR is now a digital download from PSN for $59.99, i.e. full retail price. http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/05/29/playstation-store-update-241
There's no DLC included with it.

You can buy a new disc copy from Amazon for $29.26, from Best Buy for $29.99, and from GameStop for $39.99.

I guess I don't understand the business model. What's the incentive to buy the digital for full price when you can get the disc for half price?

By the way, I bought it during the after Christmas sales from Best Buy for $29.99. So, if I could get it for half price 2 months after it came out, why would anyone want to pay full price 7 months after it was released?

Thanks.

Assassin_M
05-30-2012, 09:09 PM
Ask Ubisoft and Sony.

dpk5e7
05-30-2012, 10:57 PM
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought this was Ubisoft's website...

Mr_Shade
05-30-2012, 11:00 PM
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought this was Ubisoft's website...
It is?

However Ubisoft does not set retailers prices, the retailer does.. So Ubisoft can't comment on Sonys actions.

Sony does sometimes have offers on, if your a ps+ subscriber etc.

rileypoole1234
05-30-2012, 11:54 PM
It saves you the trouble of going out to get a copy. It also removes the hassle of ensuring the place you're going to actually has a copy, if you find that a hassle.

MCRMJ
06-01-2012, 12:35 AM
It is?

However Ubisoft does not set retailers prices, the retailer does.. So Ubisoft can't comment on Sonys actions.

Sony does sometimes have offers on, if your a ps+ subscriber etc.

The problem with this arises when Sony (through their official blogs) pass the buck back onto the producer of the game saying the pricing is out of their hands as it's set by the people who make the game.

They've done this on several occasions. Most notably on the Driver San Fran price in the UK (it was on the store for 59.99, more than what the special edition was retailing for physically).

Personally, I find downloadable games are fine, small games that you expect to be around the 5-15 mark. New releases are almost always a third higher than their physical counterparts which is shocking (especially when you have companies like EA attempting to turn games off, you aren't paying for the game but the 'right to play').

danielgervide
06-01-2012, 12:50 AM
The thing about PSN is that you can share PSN accounts though 2 ps3... before it was 5 ps3... Bf3 was by 70€ here at spain and 5 guys just got 70€ together and bought it (if you buy it thought the PSN, it comes with the online key included for any ps3 it's downloaded on). 14,50€ is just cheap for bf3 don't you think?

Now back to assassin's creed, if you get some money with ur friend u can buy it for 30$ each one...you save no money but you have the advantage/disvantage of having the downloable copy.

it's a shame sony did not make any system for saving games on extern HDD since ps3 HDD is small after some games bought xD

I think i could clear out why the prices at PSN are higher then in retailers.