PDA

View Full Version : Assassins Creed III – Connor (Ratonhnhaké:ton)

Ongewasgone
05-23-2012, 04:01 AM
Is anyone a little disappointed that Connor couldn't look more like one of these guys?:
https://rancehoodgallery.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/IMG_0937_24-1024x675.jpg

I would really appreciate if Ubisoft's hooded protagonist blended (pun intended) with the history he was based upon rather than sticking out like a sore thumb and reducing the immersive nature of the simulation. The plot is centered around an actual event in history, so I think that our hero should be too, especially since Ubisoft's latest entry into the Assassin's Creed series takes such a revolutionary direction (pun intended). I mean, that really would be badass if the creative minds at Ubisoft fit history into their theoretical framework rather than attempting to pass their fictional plot off as historical.

xOMGITSJASONx
05-23-2012, 04:22 AM
He would attract way too much attention dressed like that. Maybe Ubi can make a limited skin of one of those after you beaten the game or something.

Moultonborough
05-23-2012, 04:27 AM
I would say that is a ignorant view of native Americans. It would be very hard to do that in the Northeast through the woods. Also I think that he would stand out more if Connor dressed like those in the picture. Better to blend in wearing more normal gear instead of full Native American gear.

beatledude210
05-23-2012, 04:40 AM
Would you happen to know what region these Natives are from?

masterfenix2009
05-23-2012, 04:48 AM
I like the style they used for Connor. Plus, if they did what you want, it would only help support the stereotypical view of Native Americans established by America.

naran6142
05-23-2012, 04:56 AM
I think ubi made connors look perfect. its assassiny but also makes sense. plus the idea is that he embraces the British part of himself

Ongewasgone
05-23-2012, 06:10 AM
Yes, yes, yes, I know the majority of you are die-hard fans, and I should have known better than to bring this up. I'm not suggesting that Connor should simply be mo' like an injun. I'm merely suggesting that maybe Ubisoft should have expanded there zones and gone the extra mile to incorporate the Assassin's Creed tradition in a way that seamlessly blended with the rich history rooted in the American War for Independence, because you all know that after the Assassin's Creedgasm wears off, you'll be left starving for more. Where a fresh concept could've emerged, as exemplified by the picture I posted (note how a hooded protagonist could have been approached), Ubisoft has taken Assassin's Creed II and conformed it to this obscure vision of what would happen if you married Assassin's Creed lore with modern history, the American Revolution in this case.

Black_Widow9
05-23-2012, 06:14 AM
This is a Comanche painter I believe and it is beautiful.

Comanche were plains people so they would not have worn the same style of clothing completely as the Mohawk.
Comanche-
http://www.comanchenation.com/photos/cheifs-web/wildhorse.jpg

Mohawk
http://poster.4teachers.org/imgFilePoster/431590.jpg

I can't tell you how completely accurate they are because much to my dismay finding images and real information is very difficult...

Ongewasgone
05-23-2012, 06:36 AM
Why would it have to be stereotyped? Ezio wasn't half-Italian, he was full on Mario status. Tell me why, looking at that picture of badass Revolution-era tribal warrior dudes in hooded guise and everything, that they couldn't let history tell the story in a clever way instead of cheating and negating all possibilities with this:
http://static.zerochan.net/full/42/47/1019892.jpg
LOOK AT ME! MY NAME IS CHIEF EZIO! I HAVE A TOMAHAWK! I'M A HALF-BREED ASSASSIN IN REVOLUTIONARY AMERICA! MY VILLAGE BURNED DOWN, SO THE EAGLE SPIRITS TAUGHT ME HOW DO DISGUISE MYSELF IN OUTLANDISH ATTIRE AND CLIMB TREES, BECAUSE MY PEOPLE HISTORICALLY SPENT TOO MUCH TIME CONQUERING NATURAL OBSTACLES LIKE MOUNTAINS, AND NOT ENOUGH TIME SAILING OVER TREETOPS LIKE TARZAN! AREN'T I AWESOME AND TOTALLY NOT INAPPROPRIATELY SIMILAR TO EZIO AND/OR ALTAIR AT ALL?

misterB2001
05-23-2012, 08:46 AM
If he was your stereotypical native American Indian then perhaps he would dress more like that. But Connor is an Assassin, therefore he would be expected to wear the Assassins clobber

LightRey
05-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Oh yes. Great idea everyone. Let's blend in the crowds of New York and Boston walking around in native american clothing. -__-;

Ongewasgone
05-23-2012, 02:51 PM
Ever heard of the Boston Tea Party? Did you know that the Sons of Liberty were not dressed as Indians in the classic sense with headdresses and full authentic regalia when they boarded the British ships carrying cargoes of British East India Company tea moored at Griffin's Wharf; rather they wore wool blankets matchcoat style, painted their faces with soot, and employed other modes of dress commonly known at the time as “Indian dress”, which had been adopted by soldiers during the French and Indian War. An observer of the Boston Tea Party, John Andrews wrote the following in 1773: “They say the actors were Indians… Whether they were or not to a transient observer they appear’d as such, being cloth’d in blankets with the heads muffled and copper color’d countenances, each being arm’d with a hatchet or ax, and pair pistols, nor was their dialect different from what I conceive these geniusses to speak, as their jargon was unintelligible to all but themselves.”

THAT sounds like a viable inspiration for a Native American assassin. Instead, they've introduced to us another circus freak who looks like Ezio and compensated for a lack of tall building with the ability to climb trees. Tell me that's not a desperate maneuver right there. All I'm saying is that this would have been a good opportunity for the series to mature and truly become something both believable and great.

Assassin_M
05-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Ever heard of the Boston Tea Party? Did you know that the Sons of Liberty were not dressed as Indians in the classic sense with headdresses and full authentic regalia when they boarded the British ships carrying cargoes of British East India Company tea moored at Griffin's Wharf; rather they wore wool blankets matchcoat style, painted their faces with soot, and employed other modes of dress commonly known at the time as “Indian dress”, which had been adopted by soldiers during the French and Indian War. An observer of the Boston Tea Party, John Andrews wrote the following in 1773: “They say the actors were Indians… Whether they were or not to a transient observer they appear’d as such, being cloth’d in blankets with the heads muffled and copper color’d countenances, each being arm’d with a hatchet or ax, and pair pistols, nor was their dialect different from what I conceive these geniusses to speak, as their jargon was unintelligible to all but themselves.”

THAT sounds like a viable inspiration for a Native American assassin. Instead, they've given us another circus freak who looks like Ezio and the ability to climb trees instead of buildings.
You are seriously misinformed..
At least I hope so and are not actually THAT ignorant..

Ongewasgone
05-23-2012, 03:03 PM
Oh, am I Senior Member Assassin_M? Well, I'm sure you everything about U.S. history since you are from Cairo, Egypt. Seriously, if you can't come up with a good counterargument, then don't try to pass yourself off for a know-it-all.

Assassin_M
05-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Oh, am I Senior Member Assassin_M? Well, I'm sure you everything about U.S. history since you are from Cairo, Egypt. Seriously, if you can't make an argument, don't.
So you think that coming from Cairo, Egypt makes me an Ignorant to US history ??
I am politely asking you to take back that comment, because it is neither appropriate nor enlightened..
and when I mentioned "Ignorant" I was not referring to your knowledge of American History, I was referring to your Extremely ignorant outlook to the backdrop of the Series and its final game..
I have a High School Certificate for my research in the history of America..
Buddy, let me not degrade this argument any further and please do not deduce anything about me from now on..

Ongewasgone
05-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Oh, OK, Slick. Any more of your various credentials I should know about, or do you want to tell why you responded to my post in the first place? No, don't bother. I think I know. You don't want my less than complimentary view of you precious game to ruin anything for you. Heck, if you could plug your head into you Xbox and shut everything else out, I bet you would. Well, that's not what I'm about. I'm not some mindless consumer drone like most of the video game community seems to be, I'm just a regular dude with some regular things to say about Assassin's Creed III.

Assassin_M
05-23-2012, 03:29 PM
Oh, OK, Slick. Any more of your various credentials I should know about, or do you want to tell why you responded to my post in the first place? No, don't bother. I think I know. You don't want my less than complimentary view of you precious game to ruin anything for you. Heck, if you could plug your head into you Xbox and shut everything else out, I bet you would. Well, that's not what I'm about. I'm not some mindless consumer drone like most of the video game community seems to be, I'm just a regular dude with some regular things to say about Assassin's Creed III.
Oh..
I apologize then, I thought you could be someone who I could have an augment with,but I guess I was wrong..
Your remarks are rude and Inappropriate..
This conversation is over, If you wish to continue with this, then you`ll do it by yourself, because I will not reply..
But let me politely disagree with you..

Ongewasgone
05-23-2012, 03:37 PM
It was over before it began, pal.

Assassin_M
05-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Oh yes. Great idea everyone. Let's blend in the crowds of New York and Boston walking around in native american clothing. -__-;
That consisted of nothing but Thongs, a few Piercings and face paint..

Ongewasgone
05-23-2012, 03:45 PM
...and you said I was misinformed.

kriegerdesgottes
05-23-2012, 03:48 PM
He would stick out like a sore thumb way more dressed up in war paint and Indian clothing in the colonies where the population is 75% British and the rest are mostly German, French, Irish than he would a typical 18th century overcoat with a couple Indian bands on the arms. He is also HALF British meaning that he has a legitimate reason to not wear only Native clothing. Some people just like to complain about anything they can.

Assassin_M
05-23-2012, 03:50 PM
...and you said I was misinformed.
The Mohawk clothing is one aspect of Iroquoian culture that underwent considerable change in the late 1600s and early 1700s, with the availability of beads, trade cloth etc. from European sources. My focus will be on clothing styles as described by early European (mainly French) visitors in the early 1700s.
In summertime, children of both sexes who were less than 12-13 years old went naked. Older boys and men wore a loincloth. Women and older girls wore nothing above the waist, and a wrap around knee-length skirt which extended to the knees. Around the village, everyone went barefoot in warm weather. Since deer skin moccasin soles wear out through heavy use, they saved them by not wearing them when not needed. Away from the village, moccasins would be worn. Also, a man or a boy would sometimes wear leggings when away from the village. These were two tubes of deerskin that covered the legs from the ankle to the hip. Leggings were used as protection from thorns, poison ivy, etc. The leggings were tied by cords to the waistbelt. Women and girls also wore leggings, but since their skirts protected the upper legs, their leggings just extended to the knee and tied above the knee.

Kilts, which look a lot like skirts, were occasionally worn by Iroquoian men on formal, dress-up occasions, but seem not to have been part of the day-to-day wear. Nudity among adults in warm weather was apparently not uncommon in the 17th Century.

In winter, both sexes wore fur-lined, full length robes, however, we know relatively little about their winter attire. The Jesuits mentioned mittens of fur, fur-lined moccasins insulated with dried grass and fur caps. I suspect that they wore several layers of fur-lined clothing with a blanket or robe pulled over the shoulders, but that is partially conjecture based upon incomplete data and a few early sketches.
Perhaps my choice of wording is what betrayed me, but my point still stands that most of the time they were semi-naked..

Ongewasgone
05-23-2012, 03:57 PM
Now, hold on a minute. You said yourself that our conversation was over.

dxsxhxcx
05-23-2012, 03:57 PM
like someone else said, Connor is dressed like that because he's an Assassin, and the Assassin outfit is something that they try not to change much from its original concept because the "faces" (ancestors) are constantly changing, it's a way to focus on what this game really is about, "Assassins vs Templars" and not "ancestor X vs Templars", so while is believable for someone to walk around without draw much attention dressed like that, I doubt they'll (drastically) change the outfit...

Assassin_M
05-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Now, hold on a minute. You said yourself that our conversation was over.
When someone calls me misinformed then I`d have to resort to going back on my word..

Ongewasgone
05-23-2012, 04:06 PM
I'm not just talking about war-paint. I'm talking history meets Assassin's Creed lore. That picture was just to give you an idea of how that might work, because the status-quo really doesn't.

Ongewasgone
05-23-2012, 04:09 PM
When someone calls me misinformed then I`d have to resort to going back on my word..

You know I have nothing but the utmost respect for you Assassin (underscore) M. You're obviously a freakin' genius and I'm sure you'll be running the show in another forum in no time. Now piss off.

dxsxhxcx
05-23-2012, 04:11 PM
and another thread goes down to the toilet... good job everyone... ;)

BBALive
05-23-2012, 04:18 PM

THAT sounds like a viable inspiration for a Native American assassin. Instead, they've introduced to us another circus freak who looks like Ezio and compensated for a lack of tall building with the ability to climb trees. Tell me that's not a desperate maneuver right there. All I'm saying is that this would have been a good opportunity for the series to mature and truly become something both believable and great.

Oh god, 10/10. 90% of people here are going to fall for that one.

You are seriously misinformed..
At least I hope so and are not actually THAT ignorant..

But he's right, about the first part. They did dress up in Mohawk costumes.

However, Connor looks nothing like Ezio.

Assassin_M
05-23-2012, 04:19 PM
You know I have nothing but the utmost respect for you Assassin (underscore) M. You're obviously a freakin' genius and I'm sure you'll be running the show in another forum in no time. Now piss off.
Piss off ? real mature..
How do you expect any one to take you seriously now ?

Assassin_M
05-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Piss off ? real mature..
How do you expect any one to take you seriously now ?

Oh god, 10/10. 90% of people here are going to fall for that one.

But he's right, about the first part. They did dress up in Mohawk costumes.

However, Connor looks nothing like Ezio.
I know that he is right, the word "Ignorant" wasnt intended at his Historical knowledge or accuracy, It was intended at his look on the series and its Final game`s protagonist..

Stormpen
05-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Who knows, maybe Connor would like to dress more like a native Native American. But I suspect his desire to remain unnoticeable and not be strung up by a bunch of miscellaneous Europeans is stronger than his need for self expression. :p

And Assassin_M? This is for you for being so nice:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_cfIf12IV3g/TcDIwjbVeII/AAAAAAAAAIs/YNOaSmnEKhY/s1600/cookie.gif

Assassin_M
05-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Who knows, maybe Connor would like to dress more like a native Native American. But I suspect his desire to remain unnoticeable and not be strung up by a bunch of miscellaneous Europeans is stronger than his need for self expression. :p

And Assassin_M? This is for you for being so nice:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_cfIf12IV3g/TcDIwjbVeII/AAAAAAAAAIs/YNOaSmnEKhY/s1600/cookie.gif
CoooooooooKIEE !! 0_0

On-topic
It was never my intention to show off or seem boasting and arrogant..
I apologize If I seemed that way, and I apologize to the OP.

Dralight
05-23-2012, 04:40 PM

Real mature. That kind of attitude won't earn you respect from anyone here.

On topic: The whole reason Connor looks the way he does is basically the same reason he adopted the name Connor, to blend in with society. I have no problem with his outfit, in fact I think he looks almost perfect, and as other people have said, Connor would stick out like a sore thumb if he was dressed in full Native American garb.

notafanboy
05-23-2012, 04:46 PM
On topic: The whole reason Connor looks the way he does is basically the same reason he adopted the name Connor, to blend in with society. I have no problem with his outfit, in fact I think he looks almost perfect, and as other people have said, Connor would stick out like a sore thumb if he was dressed in full Native American garb.

not to mention he already kinda sticks out

GeneralTrumbo
05-23-2012, 09:12 PM
I could care less about Connor or anything he does. Desmond is the real meat of my game in my books. I love all the conspiracies involved in Desmond's story. The conspiracies are the thing that keeps me playing. I wish Ubisoft would have cut back on ancestor gameplay in this one and gave Desmond the gameplay he deserves.

notafanboy
05-23-2012, 09:34 PM
I could care less about Connor or anything he does. Desmond is the real meat of my game in my books. I love all the conspiracies involved in Desmond's story. The conspiracies are the thing that keeps me playing. I wish Ubisoft would have cut back on ancestor gameplay in this one and gave Desmond the gameplay he deserves.
are you mad ?, Desmond is already as interesting as a doorknob and i highly doubt him eating pies and talking to glowing old ladies is going to fix that, this is probably Connor´s first and last game and 10 hours is not enough to completely get in his shoes

GeneralTrumbo
05-23-2012, 09:38 PM
are you mad ?, Desmond is already as interesting as a doorknob and i highly doubt him eating pies and talking to glowing old ladies is going to fix that, this is probably Connor´s first and last game and 10 hours is not enough to completely get in his shoes
And 1 hour isn't enough to finish off Desmond's story. I want a good game. Glowing old ladies? LMAO. Desmond was designed to be relatable to the player and lets face it, none of us are anything like Ezio, Altair, or Connor. I expect no less than 2 hours AT LEAST of gameplay from Desmond.

notafanboy
05-23-2012, 09:44 PM
And 1 hour isn't enough to finish off Desmond's story. I want a good game. Glowing old ladies? LMAO. Desmond was designed to be relatable to the player and lets face it, none of us are anything like Ezio, Altair, or Connor. I expect no less than 2 hours AT LEAST of gameplay from Desmond.

Desmond was designed to be uninteresting so that the average bloke who works at your local gamespot could relate to him

GeneralTrumbo
05-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Desmond was designed to be uninteresting so that the average bloke who works at your local gamespot could relate to him
Well, yeah, kinda. I don't think anyone relates to Altair or Ezio. And I think that his backstory is still more interesting than some of us can say about ourselves. He grew up in a compound of assassins, ran away from all of that, and much more. We can't say that.

notafanboy
05-23-2012, 09:52 PM
[QUOTE=GeneralTrumbo;8327480]Well, yeah, kinda. I don't think anyone relates to Altair or Ezio. And I think that his backstory is still more interesting than some of us can say about ourselves. He grew up in a compound of assassins, ran away from all of that, and much more. We can't say that.[/QUOTE
just because our families weren´t hanged (hopefully) doesn´t mean that they aren´t relatable

GeneralTrumbo
05-23-2012, 09:57 PM
[QUOTE=GeneralTrumbo;8327480]Well, yeah, kinda. I don't think anyone relates to Altair or Ezio. And I think that his backstory is still more interesting than some of us can say about ourselves. He grew up in a compound of assassins, ran away from all of that, and much more. We can't say that.[/QUOTE
just because our families weren´t hanged (hopefully) doesn´t mean that they aren´t relatable
LMAO. You think that you parkour across rooftops every day, killing random people? You are also highly charismatic and talk to every girl you meet and do things with her?

brick177
05-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Thayendanegea who also went by the name Joseph Brant (not unlike Connor) was the Mohawk leader that allied the nation with the British during the revolution and led forces into battle.

Here he is depicted in 1776 in a more "European" military outfit:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bc/Joseph_Brant_painting_by_George_Romney_1776.jpg

And here's a painting of him after the war done in London, in more "traditional" attire:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/48/Joseph_Brant_by_Gilbert_Stuart_1786_oil_on_canvas. jpeg

notafanboy
05-23-2012, 10:05 PM
[QUOTE=notafanboy;8327499]
LMAO. You think that you parkour across rooftops every day, killing random people? You are also highly charismatic and talk to every girl you meet and do things with her?

what im saying is that you don´t have BE the #%#!# character to relate to him, and Ezio never killed "random people", just because you poisoned a guard and threw some money on the ground doesn´t mean he did it. And yes, Ezio was a ladies man, but that doesn´t mean he did every chick he met up the bum.

Assassin_M
05-23-2012, 11:30 PM
We dont you two just agree to disagree ?
I mean neither will convince the other so why try ? There are people who like Des and there are others who cannot stand him..
Opinions, Guys;)

jmk1999
05-24-2012, 06:04 AM
enough of the arguing and insults. please respect fellow members, both new and old alike. if you have a problem with someone, please report it. don't retaliate or we will be forced to close the topic and take further action.

drytxrewa
05-24-2012, 09:04 AM
I like the style they used for Connor. Plus, if they did what you want, it would only help support the stereotypical view of Native Americans established by America.

Assassin_M
05-24-2012, 03:02 PM
enough of the arguing and insults. please respect fellow members, both new and old alike. if you have a problem with someone, please report it. don't retaliate or we will be forced to close the topic and take further action.
You`re late, dom :rolleyes:
We already stopped the arguing and insults;)

jmk1999
05-24-2012, 03:31 PM
sorry... been pretty busy these past few days. so long as all is good. :) please report if anything else happens.

Ongewasgone
06-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Your mother's not proud.

Moultonborough
06-04-2012, 11:08 AM
Your mother's not proud.

And that contributes to the topic how? All you had to do was read the post right above yours.

Ongewasgone
06-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Assassin_M, there's two of you.

Assassin_M
06-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Assassin_M, there's two of you.
Wha- ?

Moultonborough
06-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Wha- ?

He comparing us for what I said on the bottom of the last page.

jmk1999
06-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Your mother's not proud.

clearly you didn't see my post about ending the insults and arguments. please stop or further action will be taken. let this be a final warning. thank you.