PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy of Desmond's timeline

Acrimonious_Nin
05-17-2012, 07:34 PM
Everyone who has ever taken a history class knows how accurate Ubisoft is in the stories they portray in their games. Ubisoft has had enough time to gather a lot of information about what has been and currently is going on in 2012. How accurate do you expect to see the modern day story line?

LightRey
05-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Well it already deviates significantly from our current-day situation. For example, in the AC universe 96% of Africa's population has been wiped out due to the outbreak of a virus. However, ACB also featured information about Deepwater Horizon, so there's that. I expect to see it be very accurate, yet very inaccurate at the same time as demonstrated by these examples.

Poodle_of_Doom
05-18-2012, 02:45 AM
Deepwater?

Serrachio
05-18-2012, 03:06 AM
Deepwater?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwater_Horizon_oil_spill

thetony2012
05-18-2012, 09:27 AM
thanks for giving this link

Abeonis
05-18-2012, 12:41 PM
It also deviates in that: there's an Animus; a huge-*** company named Abstergo; Assassin's and Templars still exist; the world is actually going to end on December 21, 2012 (unless it can be stopped); Africa's gone kaput..... I'd say it's not very accurate during its modern-day segments.

TheHumanTowel
05-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Yeah like everyone else has said, things have pretty much gone off the rails in Desmond's time. Americans are fleeing into Mexico, there's constant hurricanes on coastal cities, Africa's been wiped out basically.

LightRey
05-18-2012, 02:08 PM
It also deviates in that: there's an Animus; a huge-*** company named Abstergo; Assassin's and Templars still exist; the world is actually going to end on December 21, 2012 (unless it can be stopped); Africa's gone kaput..... I'd say it's not very accurate during its modern-day segments.
Abstergo isn't listed anywhere though, so theoretically it could exist, of course the Animus is secret as well, and the Assassins and Templars have been living in secrecy. All of those things are accurate in the sense that, unlikely though it may be, they could be true irl. The only thing you've mentioned that couldn't (unless we want to dive into truly ridiculous scenarios) is the Africa thing.

Assassin_M
05-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Abstergo isn't listed anywhere though, so theoretically it could exist, of course the Animus is secret as well, and the Assassins and Templars have been living in secrecy. All of those things are accurate in the sense that, unlikely though it may be, they could be true irl. The only thing you've mentioned that couldn't (unless we want to dive into truly ridiculous scenarios) is the Africa thing.
It has been becoming quite in Africa during the last few weeks :p

Serrachio
05-18-2012, 06:32 PM

They're not listed on the stock market, but that just could be because they're a privately owned company (by Templars). Im not sure, but I believe privately owned companies don't show up on the Stock Exchange because their shares aren't on the market to be bought and traded.

Aside from that though, they're quite clearly active under the name Abstergo, since it's mentioned in Desmond's Journey that they produce most of the goods you can find in an American household.

LightRey
05-18-2012, 07:32 PM
They're not listed on the stock market, but that just could be because they're a privately owned company (by Templars). Im not sure, but I believe privately owned companies don't show up on the Stock Exchange because their shares aren't on the market to be bought and traded.

Aside from that though, they're quite clearly active under the name Abstergo, since it's mentioned in Desmond's Journey that they produce most of the goods you can find in an American household.
That's not true. In ACB it is clearly stated that they're not listed anywhere. Even privately owned companies have to be registered.

Poodle_of_Doom
05-18-2012, 09:37 PM

I'd beg to disagree. This may be the case in most instances, but not necessarily all. For example, Walmart Employees can buy stock in the company, and invest in their futures. However, if I'm not mistaken, the general public does not have access to this stock, and cannot buy into it. But I could be wrong.

Abeonis
05-19-2012, 03:56 AM
I'd beg to disagree. This may be the case in most instances, but not necessarily all. For example, Walmart Employees can buy stock in the company, and invest in their futures. However, if I'm not mistaken, the general public does not have access to this stock, and cannot buy into it. But I could be wrong.

If a company is privately owned it must be registered, but it's not allowed on the Stock Market. This is because the shares can only be bought and sold within a relatively small circle (family, friends) and not by the general public. As for Abstergo not being listed anywhere, this is said, but it's also mentioned that Abstergo products, under the Abstergo name, are everywhere (even in the Assassin compound where Desmond grew up). So if it did exist, we would know about it by that alone.

LightRey
05-19-2012, 01:54 PM
If a company is privately owned it must be registered, but it's not allowed on the Stock Market. This is because the shares can only be bought and sold within a relatively small circle (family, friends) and not by the general public. As for Abstergo not being listed anywhere, this is said, but it's also mentioned that Abstergo products, under the Abstergo name, are everywhere (even in the Assassin compound where Desmond grew up). So if it did exist, we would know about it by that alone.
As I said, they're out there, just not "officially". :p

Serrachio
05-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Of course they're official.

They're pending investigation for the New Fluoride incident, they're announcing plans for Eye-Abstergo to the public, and they make a myriad of products and services.

Perhaps Abstergo are official, but the fact they were founded and run by Templars isn't.

LightRey
05-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Of course they're official.

They're pending investigation for the New Fluoride incident, they're announcing plans for Eye-Abstergo to the public, and they make a myriad of products and services.

Perhaps Abstergo are official, but the fact they were founded and run by Templars isn't.
No, they're (semi-)public and naturally all major companies are in some way aware of its existence, but they are not officially listed.

Serrachio
05-19-2012, 04:31 PM
No, they're (semi-)public and naturally all major companies are in some way aware of its existence, but they are not officially listed.

Well, this is something only the developers can confirm then.

Moultonborough
05-20-2012, 03:13 AM
Abstergo is a public company. Just not the Templar part of it. Take a look at this http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Warren_Vidic%27s_e-mail. Halfway down is a E-mail from Jane Birkam. A "Public" company is one that is traded on the stock market. "Private" company is one which does not trade.For real life example take a look at Facebook going "public" this week.

LightRey
05-20-2012, 09:32 AM
Well, this is something only the developers can confirm then.
Well, y'know, when someone in the game says that they're not listed anywhere I would usually take that as confirmation that they're, y'know, not listed anywhere.

itsamea-mario
05-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Well, y'know, when someone in the game says that they're not listed anywhere I would usually take that as confirmation that they're, y'know, not listed anywhere.

They mentioned in the news a few times, which means the public is aware of them, which is a kind of listing, in a way...

LightRey
05-20-2012, 07:50 PM
They mentioned in the news a few times, which means the public is aware of them, which is a kind of listing, in a way...
Yeah, but again, nothing official.

itsamea-mario
05-20-2012, 08:24 PM
The conversation where he says their not listed anywhere doesn't make much sense anyway, since he acts like no one has ever heard of abstergo, yet they've had their fair share of publicity, and they were official enough for a 15 year old Shaun to notice them.

Then again, we don't know when that conversation happened and Shaun is pretty smart.