PDA

View Full Version : Friends and Jobs

Kholran
05-16-2012, 06:39 AM
So...I've noticed that you can only "hire" a friend once. At all. Which is going to be really problematic for me if I want to get very far in this game. Each stall requires someone new to "staff" it, and each building requires someone new to "staff" it, and the same person can't help me more than one time...I'm going to run out of friends real fast and be unable to unlock anything, or build any new buildings. And I would really prefer not to have to add strangers to my Facebook page just to be able to play a game. Why is there a limit to how many times a friend can help me build/construct/unlock something? And why is that limit only once? It seems awfully low for a game that obviously needs a lot of friend involvement, especially when it's kind of a niche game with a limited audience (appeals mostly to horse people...a lot of my friends would have no interest in that). Please allow the friends that DO play to accept multiple jobs...requirements for unlocking each stall in a stable (that I've already spent money to build) are already incredibly high without also requiring a different friend for every single one.

Even if they're limited to a total of 10, or limited to accepting one job request per day...anything besides only being able to "hire" a friend once EVER and thus requiring more and more friends just to be able to do anything or unlock more stalls.

UBI-Cowhand
05-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Thanks for your suggestions/feedback. We'll be sure the team is made aware of your concerns! :)

DeborahGauvin
05-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Hi Folks,

I so totally agree with this one. There is no reason our riding pals cannot multi-task in these staff positions. If they click on your post they should be able to take the job and collect their pay when they visit. Many people the world over hold down more than 1 job and farm hands very seldom have only 1 job to do.

Deb

Broodmare
05-21-2012, 06:24 PM
I totally agree with this.

Also is this the Khol I know? x3

Kholran
05-21-2012, 10:04 PM
Unless someone else out there has stolen my username that I use for everything :O

Broodmare
05-21-2012, 10:43 PM
It's pretty unique so I doubt it. As long as you have a black poneh :P

BerylMcMillan
05-21-2012, 11:39 PM
I also agree - it's totally unreasonable to expect us to have enough friends to do all the jobs they insist are necessary if we can only hire a friend once!

Also, I just got a message as the game was loading that said I should remember to "collect my salary" from the jobs I have with friends - does anyone know what this is or how to do it?! Or does it just come under the standard visiting and doing five favours?

Kholran
05-22-2012, 02:00 AM
@Beood Yep, I do :D

When I'm visiting my friends' farms, I sometimes have the option on one of the buildings to "Click to get salary". I think that's what it means. If you've accepted a "staff" request from any of your friends, you should have that option on whatever building you helped on.

UBI-Cowhand
05-22-2012, 09:38 PM
@Beood Yep, I do :D

When I'm visiting my friends' farms, I sometimes have the option on one of the buildings to "Click to get salary". I think that's what it means. If you've accepted a "staff" request from any of your friends, you should have that option on whatever building you helped on.

Exactly. :)

Kholran
05-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Just posting again on this because I've reached the point where I have no more friends to accept job requests. I have two buildings on my property (Herb Garden and Breeding Meadow) that I have built but can't complete or use because every friend I have that plays has already accepted a job. I've posted "Help Wanted" ads to my wall for the last 4-5 days but I also don't want to keep spamming friends that obviously either don't see the ad, can't accept a job because they have already, or just aren't interested in playing. Since the Herb Garden is actually necessary now that horses' max ages are much higher and they're starting to require treats from it, that really hampers my ability to play the game. I REALLY don't want to have to start adding strangers to my Facebook account just so I can continue playing. I also do not spend real money on Facebook so using credits to get around it is out of the question. The limit is really a turn-off for me, and while I don't want to quit and give up, if I have to keep my horses at low levels because I'm unable to build anything more than the small round pen, I don't know how long it's going to hold my interest.

khutchings
06-02-2012, 02:50 AM
I also agree that the limit is silly! Right now I'm trying to build a herb garden so I can further myself in the tasks, but it's impossible because the few players I do have have already staffed for me. It makes it near impossible to progress in this game, and I'm starting to get irritated that I just do the same things over and over day in and day out. Can't get any further.

cordura5
06-02-2012, 08:47 AM
I have three orchards, a herb garden AND a bakery that need staffing. Not to mention if I want to add a stall! I have posted for over a week and still no help. PLEASE remove this limitation. I've used tons of coins on stuff I can't even use!

khutchings
06-03-2012, 12:02 AM
I've just had to add complete strangers to my friends list just to get staffed. For a game that some younger children play (I'm sure!), you shouldn't be pretty much requiring someone to add others just to move forward in the game. I felt i had no choice - I've posted for two weeks for someone to staff my garden, and nobody has yet!

amber_horse
06-03-2012, 12:34 AM
This is a serious problem with game dynamics as it means that the game is ultimately unsustainable. I think you should look to other successful social game models (Sims Social, for example) - they require friend help, sometimes in increasing numbers for quests or items - but friend help is also re-usable (once per day).

To make things harder as you go up levels, it makes more sense to have a model where the *number* of staff needed for higher level items goes up (but with re-usable friends) - however, requiring a different person for each new addition means the entry threshhold for higher items is exactly the same as lower items - always one staff. And if this one staff is not re-usable, the only way to play the game beyond the first few levels is to add dozens, and eventually hundreds, of strangers to your facebook account. Adding strangers should be an option to make the game easier, NOT a requirement - or you are going to build a lot of resentment from people who rightly believe that Facebook's main function is for sharing things with people they know. (as evidenced on this here thread.)

Example "increasing reusable" model:
extra stall 4 might require 1 staff (re-usable from other jobs)
extra stall 5 might require 2 staff
extra stall 6 might require 3 staff etc.

If the average number of friends is say, 10, then you can get quite far on this model but instead of constantly recruiting strangers, you are getting your active friends to engage more with the game. And higher engagement = more likelihood of spending money on extras, as well as a higher level of goodwill from players.

One final thought on staff salary:
- because when you accept a job it isn't always clear what that job is, and
- because you can accept a lot of jobs and there's nowhere in the game that keeps track of them, and
- because some friends have very LARGE farms....

...it's really hard to find where, if anywhere, you are collecting a salary on a friends farm! It would be a lot easier if the salary building or patch were highlighted somehow so we could tell where they were!

thanks!

bhavenarabs
06-03-2012, 12:31 PM
agreed, there will be many people to quit this game. Making money won't work for you if the game is not enjoyable for us!

UBI-Cowhand
06-03-2012, 07:44 PM
This is a serious problem with game dynamics as it means that the game is ultimately unsustainable. I think you should look to other successful social game models (Sims Social, for example) - they require friend help, sometimes in increasing numbers for quests or items - but friend help is also re-usable (once per day).

To make things harder as you go up levels, it makes more sense to have a model where the *number* of staff needed for higher level items goes up (but with re-usable friends) - however, requiring a different person for each new addition means the entry threshhold for higher items is exactly the same as lower items - always one staff. And if this one staff is not re-usable, the only way to play the game beyond the first few levels is to add dozens, and eventually hundreds, of strangers to your facebook account. Adding strangers should be an option to make the game easier, NOT a requirement - or you are going to build a lot of resentment from people who rightly believe that Facebook's main function is for sharing things with people they know. (as evidenced on this here thread.)

Example "increasing reusable" model:
extra stall 4 might require 1 staff (re-usable from other jobs)
extra stall 5 might require 2 staff
extra stall 6 might require 3 staff etc.

If the average number of friends is say, 10, then you can get quite far on this model but instead of constantly recruiting strangers, you are getting your active friends to engage more with the game. And higher engagement = more likelihood of spending money on extras, as well as a higher level of goodwill from players.

One final thought on staff salary:
- because when you accept a job it isn't always clear what that job is, and
- because you can accept a lot of jobs and there's nowhere in the game that keeps track of them, and
- because some friends have very LARGE farms....

...it's really hard to find where, if anywhere, you are collecting a salary on a friends farm! It would be a lot easier if the salary building or patch were highlighted somehow so we could tell where they were!

thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions! It's on today's report.