PDA

View Full Version : Just a Small introduction to the technical side of AC 3

Assassin_M
05-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Ladies and gentlemen say hello to Programming HELL in the form of Assassins Creed III..
Im a Computer Science student specializing in Programming and Software Engineering, with side programs in Game Programming..
As an Introduction, No game comes close to what we have seen in the Trailer, Not graphically, but Technically...
I`ll first begin with the Tree running, at first I just like to point out that during my fresh man year I was tasked with making a racket game using only Java, and let me tell you this... ITS HELL !! took me about 3 days..
The Coding for tree running doesnt have simple commands, hell, a single command might take more than a dozen lines of codes, and that single command can be just a simple flick, not to mention the transition of the animation in such complex figures like trees..
Now moving on to the Snow, the simple thought of Connor reacting to the Snow is astonishing, sure it may seem to some of you as something simple but it is in fact a feat that not many can carry out, the Codes, the Commands, the Functions, the Animations, the loops etc.. are all part of this labor... and keep in my mind that you`ll have to watch out for errors during the input of the codes as to make it as precise and in place in regards to the surface as possible..
Now the new Engine..
Its like using a BMW motor on a Lada... except it works..
This Engine can render about 2000 character on screen at the same time, keep in mind the HUGE number of polygons in each character, to be able to do that on such out dated hard ware and processing power is simply genius, and it doest take one genius, it takes a dozen expert programmers to effectively carry it out correctly, millions upon millions of code lines just to develop this engine and make it work and ideally use the hardware it currently has..

Now Im sure most of you find this un interesting, but this is for the people that completely over look the amazing work..

Markie577
05-10-2012, 09:36 PM
I finished a application development study last year (and following a media design study atm) and I share your asthonisment about this project! I'm really wondering how they are making this. Tree's are roundish instead of square and to have a character following a path that is not square is a true Nightmare! I'm really curious how they have solved this problem!

Assassin_M
05-10-2012, 09:44 PM
I finished a application development study last year (and following a media design study atm) and I share your asthonisment about this project! I'm really wondering how they are making this. Tree's are roundish instead of square and to have a character following a path that is not square is a true Nightmare! I'm really curious how they have solved this problem!
Truly..
To have to got through over the reliability, robustness, usability, ergonomics, figures, maintainability and performance over and over again is just ridiculously tiresome work..
Not to mention the problems they must`ve encountered and the algorithms they have found and put to use to solve them, it just blows my mind..

itsamea-mario
05-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Perhaps you're just not very good at programming.
joking, joking. i don't know what programming is like so i can't know, but i'm sure AC is no easy task on the technical front.

But we don't fully know what the Treerunning will be like, but it's still impressive.

pacmanate
05-10-2012, 09:54 PM
All this thread had to say was "PRE ALPHA"

Cause some people can't read :)

Assassin_M
05-10-2012, 09:54 PM
All this thread had to say was "PRE ALPHA"

Cause some people can't read :)
Apparently some people can`t read that one either..