PDA

View Full Version : Can I be the wingman in IL-2 offline?

fknox
05-03-2012, 03:03 PM
I don't know if anybody has wanted to do this besides me but is it possible to NOT to be the squadron leader in a Single Mission or in a Quick Mission Build? I've been playing this game only offline for a couple years and am still pretty much a newb but it's great. I just would like to follow a leader so I could really take part in a mission with someone else in charge. I'm sure someone will say "join an online server" and I should, but I wouldn't last past the first minute in a ground assault or dog fight without invulnerable and unlimited ammo settings. Anyway someone please let me know if it's possible. Thanks, F.

thefruitbat
05-03-2012, 05:30 PM
I don't know if anybody has wanted to do this besides me but is it possible to NOT to be the squadron leader in a Single Mission or in a Quick Mission Build? I've been playing this game only offline for a couple years and am still pretty much a newb but it's great. I just would like to follow a leader so I could really take part in a mission with someone else in charge. I'm sure someone will say "join an online server" and I should, but I wouldn't last past the first minute in a ground assault or dog fight without invulnerable and unlimited ammo settings. Anyway someone please let me know if it's possible. Thanks, F.

QMB, no.

In a single player mission yes, but you'll have to edit the mission in the FMB, but its really easy to do.

An even easier way is just to start one of the hundreds of DGEN campaigns, and start at a low rank, you'll always be a wingman until you work your way up the ranks

fknox
05-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Dgen is only in the modded version, correct? And I'll find the Dgen folder in my modded version of IL-2. Do I go to the Dgen folder or do I use JSGME? I'm currently modded to UP 2.1. I'm trying to go to HSFX 5.0 but I've been having trouble with the UTorrent downloads but it might be my internet connection. As far as editing single missions, do I just go to the FMB and there is a way to open the single missions? Sorry for the stupid questions but like I said I'm still a newb.

thefruitbat
05-03-2012, 06:32 PM
No Dgen is the stock dynamic campaign generator, just go to Pilot Career in the main menu. Anything marked with a * is a dgen campaign. You can also download extra DGEN campaigns , look here

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php

Can run Dgen campaigns in modded il2 as well.

You can also choose your rank in static campaigns as well, although the missions tend to be written with a specified rank in mind.

re the fmb, go into it, then click load mission, and then so to the 'single' folder, all your single missions are in there.

DKoor
05-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Flying as wingman is actually great when you fly on Realistic settings... in 90% of cases your electronic squadron buddies will spot enemy first and act accordingly. Assuming that you have better skills than enemy AI which shouldn't be a prob you can do fine this way even in inferior aircraft. It's all about tactics... and usually whoever score an opener (first kill), has enormous advantage because those fights are somewhat limited in airplane numbers 4-8 per mission on one side.
Maybe I have set it this way in conf.ini DGen settings but I don't think so, IL-2 is normally meant to be optimized so everyone can run it. With 20+ aircraft that wouldn't be the case.
IL-2 COD is fine example.

thefruitbat
05-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Hi Dkoor, add these lines to your conf.ini to max out the plane numbers in DGEN,

[Dgen]
MissionDistance=50
RandomFlights=5
AirIntensity=High
GroundIntesity=High
Maxbomberskill=0
NoAirfieldHighlight=1
NoBadWeather=1

get more planes this way.

Dgen is surprisingly more fun since 4.11.1 and even more fun with HSFX6....

Sillius_Sodus
05-04-2012, 06:49 PM
You can also try ordering your wingman to attack whatever you want attacked, then fly wing on him.

Good hunting.

TheCrux
05-05-2012, 06:04 AM
Anything marked with a * is a dgen campaign.

Thanks! Always wondered what those asterisks meant.

gothkrieger
05-05-2012, 07:43 AM
Dgen is surprisingly more fun since 4.11.1 and even more fun with HSFX6....

Did you say HSFX6.... is that out yet?????

thefruitbat
05-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Did you say HSFX6.... is that out yet?????

Its in beta testing.

fknox
05-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Hey Fruitbat,
Got it! Flew as wingman yesterday. Thanks for the input. One last tiny detail. The last poster says to patch to 4.10.1 if you're going to mod, and I've read that in many other places as well. But 4.10.1 is no longer available, it goes right to 4.11. So can I put HSFX 5.0 over 4.11? Or should it go over 4.10? Or is there a place to still get 4.10.1. I've read the patching guide on M4Today, but 4.10.1 no longer has a link. I ask because right now I am patched to 4.11 with the hotfix in my stcok folder, and I have a clean 4.10 in my copy folder waiting to add HSFX. I dumped my UP2.1 because I read on SAS242 to put HSFX over a clean install. But if I add 4.11 to my copy and it's wrong I'll have to go through allot to get back to 4.10. So 4.10 or 4.11 (wit hotfix?) for HSFX 5? Thanks, F.

thefruitbat
05-06-2012, 02:45 PM
I'd sit back and wait a little bit. HSFX 6 is in beta testing at the moment, and goes over 4.11.1

Do not put HSFX 5 over 4.11, it will not work.

imo HSFX 6 will easily be the new 'best' version of il2.

Re 4.10.1 you can get it at 1c, see here,

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=17765 (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=17765)

for all patches look here,

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=31667

fknox
05-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Bat,
How long are we talking about before 6 is released? If I mod my copy of 4.10.1 to HSFX 5 for now, I can always copy my stock 4.11.1 to mod to 6. If we're talking about a significant wait.

thefruitbat
05-09-2012, 05:02 PM
check PM's

fknox
05-18-2012, 04:02 PM
So I changed the Single mission "Comrades in Arms" for the USAF P51 in the FMB so I was the #4 spot in the squad. Very cool to be able to follow the leader. Strange thing though he never seemed to attack any of the planes in the mission. The #2 and #3 planes did veer off for some attacks but every time I went to do the same I get yelled at "What the Hell! Stay with your leader" But the leader just flew from one way point to the next not doing anything. Is there something I'm missing? Will I be instructed to do something or attack something when the time comes? I'm just trying to understand how things work or are supposed to work. any input is appreciated. F.

Tully__
05-19-2012, 05:13 AM
So I changed the Single mission "Comrades in Arms" for the USAF P51 in the FMB so I was the #4 spot in the squad. Very cool to be able to follow the leader. Strange thing though he never seemed to attack any of the planes in the mission. The #2 and #3 planes did veer off for some attacks but every time I went to do the same I get yelled at "What the Hell! Stay with your leader" But the leader just flew from one way point to the next not doing anything. Is there something I'm missing? Will I be instructed to do something or attack something when the time comes? I'm just trying to understand how things work or are supposed to work. any input is appreciated. F.
The leader's behaviour suggests he has no ammunition. Recheck the loadout for AC#1 in the FMB.

As for the "What the hell, stay with your leader" message, you get that whenever you're more than a fixed distance from your leader in any direction, even if you're at the same spot on the map but at different altitudes. If I recall correctly it cuts in at 3000m distance. There's no penalty for ignoring it in the game, so I suggest that's what you should do. As you're playing number 4 in the squad, you should be flying wing to number 3 anyway, not number 1.