PDA

View Full Version : Archery Upgrades?

DavisP92
04-28-2012, 01:29 AM
Seeing how we are going to be able to upgrade our equipment and weapons, does that include the bow. I'm sure by now ppl know that i'm obsessed with archery haha, and i just saw a movie called War of the Arrows.

Upgrades for the bow:

- faster draw speed
- shoot more then one arrow
- bending the arrow (Yea i said that haha, watch the movie i mentioned above)
- pinning enemies
- poisoned tipped arrows
- smoke arrows
- penetrating arrows (some arrows can shoot through people, killing two guys at once)
Edit: - arrow attached to a rope

Serrachio
04-28-2012, 01:50 AM
Aside from having, say, two arrows fired at once along with the draw speed, I think the other suggestions wouldn't seem to fit.

I don't know what bending the arrow would do though.

DavisP92
04-28-2012, 02:03 AM
really i think they all fit except for the bending really.
- Seeing how shooting an arrow at a guards arm or leg seems possible now it would fit
- poison tipped arrows could be useful, you can shoot a guards arm with it. The guard/soldier only think it's a flesh wound but scared runs back to the camp and goes crazy killing all the teammates/making the target run outside for you to kill.
- smoke arrows would be more of a co-op thing honestly, or you could shoot it into a room and force some soldiers and guards to come out
- and seeing how Mongolians had penetrating arrows (i could be wrong, my statement is coming from a movie) it can see it being in AC. and that could be useful if you approach two soldiers walking together and kill them both with one arrow.

the bending part like i said would be more for shooting around a tree or wall.

Moultonborough
04-28-2012, 03:24 AM
The poison sounds too much like Turok. They should just make different strength bows like Skyrim.

AnthonyA85
04-28-2012, 03:31 AM
Perhaps the only upgrades that would fit are poison (which i hope we get) and higher draw-weight (increased range)

The bending arrows thing, totally impractical, trust me, it just can't be done effectively. I've shot a bent arrow, and it completely missed the target i was shooting at, and hit the one next to it (at a distance of about 40 yards)

Not to mention it would be completely unrealistic to see an arrow fly a 90 degree arc round a corner, that might be something you'd see in MGS, but not AC.

Serrachio
04-28-2012, 03:43 AM
really i think they all fit except for the bending really.
- Seeing how shooting an arrow at a guards arm or leg seems possible now it would fit
- poison tipped arrows could be useful, you can shoot a guards arm with it. The guard/soldier only think it's a flesh wound but scared runs back to the camp and goes crazy killing all the teammates/making the target run outside for you to kill.
- smoke arrows would be more of a co-op thing honestly, or you could shoot it into a room and force some soldiers and guards to come out
- and seeing how Mongolians had penetrating arrows (i could be wrong, my statement is coming from a movie) it can see it being in AC. and that could be useful if you approach two soldiers walking together and kill them both with one arrow.

the bending part like i said would be more for shooting around a tree or wall.

If you bend an arrow, it won't bend around trees. The same thing has been done with bullets on Mythbusters to see if they would curve when fired like in the film Wanted, but the rifling of the barrels will always make it go straight. The same would happen with a bent arrow, either it would off-shoot by miles or it will be more likely to be rendered unfireable.

Having poison arrows would just work as poison darts did, but they'd be even worse for stealth purposes, as the darts were designed to not be seen until close examination of the body. Having an arrow sticking out of the person you're aiming to poison renders a stealthy situation void, as when it is fired, any other people nearby will know that the person who fired it is lurking nearby.

Bombs aren't returning, so it isn't known yet whether smoke bombs will too. Also, attaching a smoke bomb to an arrow would affect the arrow by weighing it down, and if you could throw them anyway, there'd be no point.

Movies often over-exaggerate details to make events look exciting to the audience. For a regular arrow to pass through one person's body and into another, it would need a hell of a lot of force behind it, which is affected by weight and speed. I seriously doubt that Connor has the strength to exert enough force with his bow, in order to make a weighted arrow fire with enough speed to penetrate through a body containing organs and bone, into that of another.

DavisP92
04-28-2012, 12:58 PM
If you bend an arrow, it won't bend around trees. The same thing has been done with bullets on Mythbusters to see if they would curve when fired like in the film Wanted, but the rifling of the barrels will always make it go straight. The same would happen with a bent arrow, either it would off-shoot by miles or it will be more likely to be rendered unfireable.

Having poison arrows would just work as poison darts did, but they'd be even worse for stealth purposes, as the darts were designed to not be seen until close examination of the body. Having an arrow sticking out of the person you're aiming to poison renders a stealthy situation void, as when it is fired, any other people nearby will know that the person who fired it is lurking nearby.

Bombs aren't returning, so it isn't known yet whether smoke bombs will too. Also, attaching a smoke bomb to an arrow would affect the arrow by weighing it down, and if you could throw them anyway, there'd be no point.

Movies often over-exaggerate details to make events look exciting to the audience. For a regular arrow to pass through one person's body and into another, it would need a hell of a lot of force behind it, which is affected by weight and speed. I seriously doubt that Connor has the strength to exert enough force with his bow, in order to make a weighted arrow fire with enough speed to penetrate through a body containing organs and bone, into that of another.

lol you guys don't know what i'm talking about. Watch the movie i mentioned War of the Arrows (it's pretty good). The arrows aren't bent, but rather when he draws the bow he turns his hand. maybe i should have said curving his shot rather then bending it. But obviously, the thing is if it isn't possible then it shouldn't really be in the game, i just saw the movie and was like O.o

yea i don't see poison darts coming back, so that's why i would say poison tipped arrows. If they do then there wouldn't be any use. Obviously when i mentioned shooting an arrow into someone's arm i was not referring to stealth. Not sure why you brought that up

really? smoke bombs aren't? i mean i understand and i'm glad the other types of bombs aren't but oh well, yea if they aren't coming back then no smoke arrows :P.

as for shooting through one target, i would believe that Connor would have the strength to do that seeing how he has been training with a bow all his life (we can assume) and then add on to that his assassin training (strength/technique training). however again with this concept i do believe that my opinion is biased do the that movie, you do make good counter points for all of these claims. All i'm really hoping for is some type of upgrade to the bow.

SixKeys
04-28-2012, 02:24 PM
What would be the point of poison-tipped arrows? The moment someone gets an arrow in their chest/thigh/arm/whatever, your stealth is busted. If your point is to kill them, you don't need poison for that, just shoot them in the head.

TorQue1988
04-28-2012, 02:31 PM
What do you mean by smoke arrows? You mean flaming arrows? These would be awesome to torch enemies.
We could change the bow string to upgrade the firing rate or the range of the arrows as well.
Also, it would be cool to have target practice and maybe contests with the bow and arrow.

eagleforlife1
04-28-2012, 02:39 PM
I don't like the idea of any of these suggestions. Just regular arrows would be perfect.

DavisP92
04-28-2012, 03:12 PM
What would be the point of poison-tipped arrows? The moment someone gets an arrow in their chest/thigh/arm/whatever, your stealth is busted. If your point is to kill them, you don't need poison for that, just shoot them in the head.

The idea isn't to kill him but rather use the guard/soldier to run back to his base (you had to follow him anyways) but instead of you busting in and killing everyone, the poison in the guard's veins would make him kill the target for you. and i wasn't referring to stealth really, but just because you shoot an arrow that doesn't mean your enemies will know where your exact location is.

What do you mean by smoke arrows? You mean flaming arrows? These would be awesome to torch enemies.
We could change the bow string to upgrade the firing rate or the range of the arrows as well.
Also, it would be cool to have target practice and maybe contests with the bow and arrow.

didn't even think about flaming arrows, would be funny to make a guy burst into flames hah. but i was thinking (until someone said that there aren't even smoke bombs) attach a smoke bomb onto an arrow and shoot it into a room or hallway. making the target leave the room.

I don't like the idea of any of these suggestions. Just regular arrows would be perfect.

to each his own

GIONAScm2
04-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Yeah, upgrades for the bow would be awesome! And other weapons

Serrachio
04-28-2012, 09:22 PM
The idea isn't to kill him but rather use the guard/soldier to run back to his base (you had to follow him anyways) but instead of you busting in and killing everyone, the poison in the guard's veins would make him kill the target for you. and i wasn't referring to stealth really, but just because you shoot an arrow that doesn't mean your enemies will know where your exact location is.

Firstly, when you fire a poisoned arrow into a guard, you don't take control of his body, so I doubt he will run towards the target. Also, when a guard is poisoned in the previous games, he flails around aimlessly, so it's not like he can home in on the person you're after and attack them. Also, the whole point in having poison so far in the games is to be able to kill your targets without them being aware of your location. Having a poisoned arrow sticking out of your target clearly indicates that it wasn't a mysterious death.

Also, while what you say about them not knowing the exact location is true, a person could realistically make a guess to where the person wielding the bow is by the direction and the angle that the arrow hit into them.

naran6142
04-28-2012, 09:34 PM
is shooting 2 arrows at once and hitting 2 targets even possible?

some of ur suggestions arent bad but they seem like arrow versions of things weve already seen.

DavisP92
04-29-2012, 04:25 AM
Firstly, when you fire a poisoned arrow into a guard, you don't take control of his body, so I doubt he will run towards the target. Also, when a guard is poisoned in the previous games, he flails around aimlessly, so it's not like he can home in on the person you're after and attack them. Also, the whole point in having poison so far in the games is to be able to kill your targets without them being aware of your location. Having a poisoned arrow sticking out of your target clearly indicates that it wasn't a mysterious death.

Also, while what you say about them not knowing the exact location is true, a person could realistically make a guess to where the person wielding the bow is by the direction and the angle that the arrow hit into them.

obviously the poison wouldn't be fast acting for one, never mentioned mind control either. It would be more for the cowards that if you did (like AC1 did) gather intel on people and find out that a specific guard does act in a way where if he is assaulted he runs back to the base to tell everyone. but this really depends on what the developers put into the AI of the guards. As for the mysterious death, i guess in AC2 it was but i think after 30 or so years guards would pretty much know that if someone is throwing their arms around like they have been doing in the recent games then he was poisoned. I'm not saying remove the other way to poison people (if they still even have it) but it's about opening up more possibilities for gamers to interact/attack a situation

is shooting 2 arrows at once and hitting 2 targets even possible?

some of ur suggestions arent bad but they seem like arrow versions of things weve already seen.

Yea, i've shot two arrows and hit my two targets before. I'm not really that skilled with a bow so if i can somewhat do it then i'm pretty sure someone that trains in it can. well yea of couse, the smoke and poison are. There really isn't much you can do to upgrade the bow other then what was mentioned (as far as i can think of).

playassassins1
04-29-2012, 11:24 AM
I have an idea, one of the upgrades could be kill-cams. Would that be good or way over the top?

oliacr
04-29-2012, 11:52 AM
firing 2 arrows at once is the worst idea of the upgrades
I want these:
-poisoned arrows
-fire arrows
-faster draw speed
-and use the bow and arrows as melee weapons (like Legolas in the Lord of the Rings trilogy)

Serrachio
04-30-2012, 03:18 AM
firing 2 arrows at once is the worst idea of the upgrades
I want these:
-poisoned arrows
-fire arrows
-faster draw speed
-and use the bow and arrows as melee weapons (like Legolas in the Lord of the Rings trilogy)

I'd say it was one of the most plausible ones aside from the draw speed.

As it's been said before, poisoned arrows wouldn't be stealthy, and if you think about it, setting fire to arrows won't make much difference to the person you're killing. You're probably going to kill them with the arrow, so the fire is unnecessary.

Also, I'm not against having some counters with the bow like what was done with the Crossbow, but why use arrows as a melee weapon when you have plenty of other weapons?

I have an idea, one of the upgrades could be kill-cams. Would that be good or way over the top?

I don't think it would be worth it to have something like a slow-mo kill for an arrow shot. You could use the time it takes to make a fancy show out of firing the arrow to do something else.

obviously the poison wouldn't be fast acting for one, never mentioned mind control either. It would be more for the cowards that if you did (like AC1 did) gather intel on people and find out that a specific guard does act in a way where if he is assaulted he runs back to the base to tell everyone. but this really depends on what the developers put into the AI of the guards. As for the mysterious death, i guess in AC2 it was but i think after 30 or so years guards would pretty much know that if someone is throwing their arms around like they have been doing in the recent games then he was poisoned. I'm not saying remove the other way to poison people (if they still even have it) but it's about opening up more possibilities for gamers to interact/attack a situation.

If there was a guard that ran away, just shooting him with the bow to kill him would be enough.

Also, I don't believe that the guards in AC2 would learn to recognize poison, since they never used it themselves. All it would appear to them is that the person afflicted just suddenly started acting crazy, and then when they died, they wouldn't know what to do about it because it was so peculiar in the first place.

DavisP92
04-30-2012, 04:02 AM
If there was a guard that ran away, just shooting him with the bow to kill him would be enough.

Also, I don't believe that the guards in AC2 would learn to recognize poison, since they never used it themselves. All it would appear to them is that the person afflicted just suddenly started acting crazy, and then when they died, they wouldn't know what to do about it because it was so peculiar in the first place.

yea if you don't want to have some spectacular way of killing the target, you could just kill the guard rather then make him think he's only wounded and ends up killing the target for you.

well in Project Legacy the templars knew and used poison so i wouldn't see it as the guards or at least the high ranking guards wouldn't know about it. And I was saying after 30 or so years every guard would know about the whole person swinging their arms around then dying. Also seeing how, realistically, they would have examined how the guard died and would have found the wound. and then deduced that there was foul play obviously. Realistically the guards would have learned about poison because some templars would have known and told them to beware.

Serrachio
04-30-2012, 05:25 AM
yea if you don't want to have some spectacular way of killing the target, you could just kill the guard rather then make him think he's only wounded and ends up killing the target for you.

well in Project Legacy the templars knew and used poison so i wouldn't see it as the guards or at least the high ranking guards wouldn't know about it. And I was saying after 30 or so years every guard would know about the whole person swinging their arms around then dying. Also seeing how, realistically, they would have examined how the guard died and would have found the wound. and then deduced that there was foul play obviously. Realistically the guards would have learned about poison because some templars would have known and told them to beware.

High ranking Templars did know about poison, the Borgia family used it themselves, but does that mean they told guards about it? No.

The Templars pretty much didn't care about the city guards, as long as they got what they wanted done. It's for this reason that guards have been oblivious to poison over Ezio's time in the Renaissance. You also have to consider that having guards be aware of poison would work against the gameplay element that it introduces.

Right now, you're using assumptions to try and make poison sound out of place, so much so that when it does, it somehow proves that poison arrows would be worth adding. What you have to consider is that for all the games poison has been in, it worked on a stealth based function.

The poison blade makes you get close and have to be unnoticed, but its prolonged death allows you to get to a place where you won't be spotted after. Poison darts let you poison from a distance, so you can cause a distraction and slip by.

Poison arrows would be completely out of character, because they would be a big enough of an indication to break the illusion that the person who was poisoned didn't just suddenly go mental and die afterwards, seeing as they would have a very noticeable shaft of wood sticking in them and the arrow head caught in their body.

SlowBlo
04-30-2012, 06:09 AM
In my opinion, I wish poison was never introduced to the Assassin Order. In the original game, the Order was disgusted by the technique and never used it. They believed in killing individuals honorably. It just seemed to fall away with Swiss Army Knife Ezio. However, I will admit that something as fun as a flailing guard punching everyone around him shouldn't have been omitted.

Anyways, upgradeable arrows and bows are a great idea and I will be shocked if they don't implement it in ACIII.

SixKeys
04-30-2012, 01:11 PM
In my opinion, I wish poison was never introduced to the Assassin Order. In the original game, the Order was disgusted by the technique and never used it. They believed in killing individuals honorably. It just seemed to fall away with Swiss Army Knife Ezio. However, I will admit that something as fun as a flailing guard punching everyone around him shouldn't have been omitted.

Anyways, upgradeable arrows and bows are a great idea and I will be shocked if they don't implement it in ACIII.

In Alta´r's Codex he mentions the reason they developed the poison blade was because some of the Order's ways were outdated and inefficient to their cause. During Al Mualim's reign, the assassins would only perform their assassinations in broad daylight, to make a big impact on the public. Alta´r ultimately realized things didn't have to be this way just because they had done it for decades, that it would be far more sensible to the Order's survival if they adapted and tried new techniques. So the daytime-only assassination rule was abolished, alongside the no-poison rule.

DavisP92
04-30-2012, 02:14 PM
High ranking Templars did know about poison, the Borgia family used it themselves, but does that mean they told guards about it? No.

The Templars pretty much didn't care about the city guards, as long as they got what they wanted done. It's for this reason that guards have been oblivious to poison over Ezio's time in the Renaissance. You also have to consider that having guards be aware of poison would work against the gameplay element that it introduces.

Right now, you're using assumptions to try and make poison sound out of place, so much so that when it does, it somehow proves that poison arrows would be worth adding. What you have to consider is that for all the games poison has been in, it worked on a stealth based function.

The poison blade makes you get close and have to be unnoticed, but its prolonged death allows you to get to a place where you won't be spotted after. Poison darts let you poison from a distance, so you can cause a distraction and slip by.

Poison arrows would be completely out of character, because they would be a big enough of an indication to break the illusion that the person who was poisoned didn't just suddenly go mental and die afterwards, seeing as they would have a very noticeable shaft of wood sticking in them and the arrow head caught in their body.

i not really trying to say that it is out of place, but the idea that you're saying that no guard would have known about poison after 30 or so years of seeing their own teammates dying by it seem illogical. It was perfect for the concept of the games (ac2-acr) however the fact is that the ai was dumb and acted like they have never seen this before. when realistically they would have or at least heard about it.

as for templars not caring about city guards yea i can agree with you there to some degree, but i wouldn't say that they were not intelligent enough to say, "hey this person died by poison" your making the assumption that guards and templars are completely different factions (they don't care for each other much, when any intelligent individual would know it would be best to tell your followers/guards to be careful so they don't die and you become more vulnerable) and that they are completely idiotic.

The thing is, with the game changing so much (to the point they are saying that it's almost a different game) and that most of the gameplay features that Ezio had was taken out you can assume that some variation of the poison upgrade has been removed (poison darts possibly). It's not about making the game have to use the bow for poison arrows, you're assuming i'm saying thought that they should do away with poison darts (if they haven't already) but you're wrong. I think they should keep it, to me it's about opening up more gameplay opportunities. You can shoot the poison darts only killing the guard silently which could just get you into the location or so, or you could shoot the poison arrow at the guard and make him run to his captain to tell him what happened (like most scouts would do), killing him because of the poison.

See i'm not seeing the issue as, trying to keep the poison as a secret, seeing how realistically people would know about it. So to me that doesn't matter, and it doesn't make using an arrow with poison on it out of character. In fact because Connor is a Native American his people probably did poison arrows for hunting that and blow darts. So it's not out of character at all.

side note: i don't think the doctor should give us poison anymore, first of all that would be very suspicious, instead because we are playing as a native american and hunt. We should kill animals like the gold poison frog or some poisonous snakes in order to get the poison we need. Also poison tactics were used in the American Revolution including poisoning wells and i believe smallpox. Also since poison in AC2-ACR made guards swing their swords around, would that make the soldiers swing their bayonets around and possibly firing their weapon as well?

SquarePolo27
04-30-2012, 05:21 PM
How about moss and water arrows? That would be badass.

UrDeviant1
04-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Flaming Arrows?