PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration, fascination

orangebionic
04-24-2012, 06:42 PM
As most of you know, ubisoft crew didnt hide their fascination with open game worlds, like skyrim, for example. Its been stated quite strongly in the interviews. Looks like it goes in other way as well.

I just seen trailer to bethesda upcoming game; "dishonoured" , when we will be playing, wait for it...as .. an "assassin with supernatural powers", and as much i can get from trailer its dense, urban environment, sort of steam punk world, but analogies are quite obvious.

It all reminded me old theory of "cultural memes" flowing through world of ideas , same way , like bacterias in our bodies( who came up with this meme theory first, i dont remember)
Of course , if I want to be less generous ,I would say that good, and original idea is harder to come by than pot of ancient Roman gold nowadays. In every other game we have to either fight dragons, uber-powerfull aliens, or ninja -demons, the rest are vast fields of sport games( quite obviously cliche itself) or fps games, when last original game was bioschock , released about 3 years ago.
Anyway this game make me quite interested,I have to admit, and i hope it wont be so buggy like skyrim.

OriginalMiles
04-24-2012, 07:15 PM
I'm sorry was there a point to this?

De Filosoof
04-24-2012, 07:59 PM
I completely agree with the OP.
I love gamedevelopers with great creativity like the AC team @ ubisoft.
There's indeed an overload of boring games with dragons, zombies, WW2, sports, just to name a few.
Thank you AC team for creating such an epic game with a very deep storyline.
Reliving the memories of ancestors, the best idea in gaming history :) .

BBALive
04-24-2012, 08:40 PM
As most of you know, ubisoft crew didnt hide their fascination with open game worlds, like skyrim, for example. Its been stated quite strongly in the interviews. Looks like it goes in other way as well.

I just seen trailer to bethesda upcoming game; "dishonoured" , when we will be playing, wait for it...as .. an "assassin with supernatural powers", and as much i can get from trailer its dense, urban environment, sort of steam punk world, but analogies are quite obvious.

It all reminded me old theory of "cultural memes" flowing through world of ideas , same way , like bacterias in our bodies( who came up with this meme theory first, i dont remember)
Of course , if I want to be less generous ,I would say that good, and original idea is harder to come by than pot of ancient Roman gold nowadays. In every other game we have to either fight dragons, uber-powerfull aliens, or ninja -demons, the rest are vast fields of sport games( quite obviously cliche itself) or fps games, when last original game was bioschock , released about 3 years ago.
Anyway this game make me quite interested,I have to admit, and i hope it wont be so buggy like skyrim.

For the last god **** time, it isn't being made by Bethesda.

sticks165
04-24-2012, 08:57 PM

he said Dishonored is being made by Bethesda, he never said that ACIII was being made by Bethesda

rileypoole1234
04-24-2012, 09:22 PM

Were there multiple occasions when he though it was being made by Bethesda, or are you just being rude?

OriginalMiles
04-24-2012, 09:37 PM
he said Dishonored is being made by Bethesda, he never said that ACIII was being made by Bethesda
Dishonored is made by Arkane Studios and published by Bethesda.
Just Saying.

sticks165
04-24-2012, 09:41 PM
does it make a difference its still by bethesda

BBALive
04-25-2012, 06:45 AM

I was talking about Dishonored.

BBALive
04-25-2012, 06:47 AM
does it make a difference its still by bethesda

Of course it makes a difference. You don't say "Take-Two's next game" when referring to Grand Theft Auto, you say "Rockstar's". It's kind of different since the publisher in this case is also a developer, so people might assume the game is being developed by them, and expect some steampunk Elder Scrolls, which the game isn't.

BeCk41
04-25-2012, 12:20 PM
I completely agree with the OP.
I love gamedevelopers with great creativity like the AC team @ ubisoft.
There's indeed an overload of boring games with dragons, zombies, WW2, sports, just to name a few.
Thank you AC team for creating such an epic game with a very deep storyline.
Reliving the memories of ancestors, the best idea in gaming history :) .

I agree with you and OP, they seem to not create very many 'original' games anymore and keep racking out more common themed games we've all played. I dunno about you, but I'm kind of burn't out on zombie games and war games. The AC series were like a new breathe of fresh air; they were completely unique in their own right.

orangebionic
04-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Of course it makes a difference. You don't say "Take-Two's next game" when referring to Grand Theft Auto, you say "Rockstar's". It's kind of different since the publisher in this case is also a developer, so people might assume the game is being developed by them, and expect some steampunk Elder Scrolls, which the game isn't.

Its not huge difference per se. Every publisher have big influence over titles , even made by once independent and succesfull studios. Given the fact those devs are quite little known, and easy to spot, they using kind of same engine like skyrim, or fallout, my point remains intact. I bet its gonna be free roam, first person view, action game with huge rpg element , or action rpg.

orangebionic
04-26-2012, 05:32 PM
True, to some of you guys said, AC series brought back intelligent storyline,and also with alternative history, full of philosophical provocations, its rare for any devs to not to afraid to make product for other target group than half- illiterate 13 yrs old, and they have my huge respect for that.

I dont want sound like moaner, but i see so big gap between technological abilities, and mastery of real brainpower in recent games generation.Everyone just rip from others ideas, and then talk about "genre" and stuff, spinning hype machine like crazy.

On the side note- to anyone interested in thought provocative, adult and dark gaming world, i would recommend witcher 2 - incredible fantasy rpg, when choices really matter, and nothing is cliche storyline wise.

POP1Fan
04-26-2012, 07:07 PM
OK, shoot me now. I don't like Skyrim.

InfamousQ1987
04-28-2012, 05:57 AM
I love Assassin's Creed over ALL!!! I just started playing Red Dead Redemption, just so I can hunt and skin animals. I cannot wait for AC3... On another note, has anybody played "I Am Alive"? I like the first person bow and arrow gameplay. I think it would be cool if ubisoft did something similar in AC3.

De Filosoof
04-28-2012, 10:24 AM

You're not alone, me neither...

BBALive
04-28-2012, 02:12 PM

Nobody with sense actually likes Skyrim.

True, to some of you guys said, AC series brought back intelligent storyline,and also with alternative history, full of philosophical provocations, its rare for any devs to not to afraid to make product for other target group than half- illiterate 13 yrs old, and they have my huge respect for that.

I dont want sound like moaner, but i see so big gap between technological abilities, and mastery of real brainpower in recent games generation.Everyone just rip from others ideas, and then talk about "genre" and stuff, spinning hype machine like crazy.

On the side note- to anyone interested in thought provocative, adult and dark gaming world, i would recommend witcher 2 - incredible fantasy rpg, when choices really matter, and nothing is cliche storyline wise.

Assassin's Creed didn't bring back 'intelligent' storytelling. The story was fine -- nothing spectacular -- until Ubisoft introduced the Sci-Fi bullcrap. I'm just glad to hear that they're focusing more on the Assassin vs. Templar conflict rather than the Sci-Fi drivel.

Although I do agree with your opinion on The Witcher 2. It's a great game. One of my choices for GOTY in 2011, the others being Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Dark Souls.

SixKeys
04-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Assassin's Creed didn't bring back 'intelligent' storytelling. The story was fine -- nothing spectacular -- until Ubisoft introduced the Sci-Fi bullcrap.

Oh, you mean the first 10 minutes of the very first game?

BBALive
04-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Oh, you mean the first 10 minutes of the very first game?

I'm not referring to the Animus, that's obviously fine. The whole "Those Who Came Before" plot-line, was, and is drivel.

Don't get defensive because I dislike one aspect of your precious franchise.

SixKeys
04-28-2012, 02:35 PM
I'm not referring to the Animus, that's obviously fine. The whole "Those Who Came Before" plot-line, was, and is drivel.

Don't get defensive because I dislike one aspect of your precious franchise.

That's the thing though. For some reason people seem to think a machine that lets you relive your ancestors' memories which are somehow locked inside your DNA is perfectly plausible and realistic but an advanced civilization that came before humans? Well, that's just preposterous.

De Filosoof
04-28-2012, 02:44 PM
That's the thing though. For some reason people seem to think a machine that lets you relive your ancestors' memories which are somehow locked inside your DNA is perfectly plausible and realistic but an advanced civilization that came before humans? Well, that's just preposterous.
Indeed.

pirate1802
04-28-2012, 07:18 PM
What? I loved Skyrim and I think I'm in my senses!

BBALive
04-29-2012, 06:43 PM

I didn't say the Animus was plausible, or realistic. I just dislike the concept/the idea/the premise behind the Those Who Came Before plot-line. Stop putting words into people's mouths.

I am fine with the Pieces of Eden though. They're a necessary plot device.

SixKeys
04-29-2012, 07:06 PM
I didn't say the Animus was plausible, or realistic. I just dislike the concept/the idea/the premise behind the Those Who Came Before plot-line. Stop putting words into people's mouths.

I am fine with the Pieces of Eden though. They're a necessary plot device.

Calm your teats, I wasn't putting any words in your mouth.

The Animus wouldn't even work without the TWCB plotline. The whole idea that there are secret memories/abilities locked away in our DNA is inherently tied to the TWCB plot. Same with the Pieces of Eden. If there were no TWCB, where else would these ancient artifacts come from? I just don't understand why you are okay with some silly plot devices but not others.

BBALive
04-29-2012, 10:39 PM
Calm your teats, I wasn't putting any words in your mouth.

The Animus wouldn't even work without the TWCB plotline. The whole idea that there are secret memories/abilities locked away in our DNA is inherently tied to the TWCB plot. Same with the Pieces of Eden. If there were no TWCB, where else would these ancient artifacts come from? I just don't understand why you are okay with some silly plot devices but not others.

The whole concept of the Animus worked before the TWCB plot-line was even introduced. The Pieces of Eden could have been explained in a different way. I can't change the fact that TWCB are an integral part of the story now. I have accepted it, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.