PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed becoming too cinematic?

Animuses
04-24-2012, 01:35 AM
Does anyone else feels that this is happening? Unnecessary cutscenes, no more control over the character. I really like controlling Altair in AC while also pressing a ****on when a "glitch" appears. You some some control every now and then in ACII, but it wasn't the same. I'm not saying I don't want any cutscenes(surely people enjoy them), but I'd rather have them to a lesser extent while also controlling the character more often.

SixKeys
04-24-2012, 01:47 AM
I've been a little worried about this myself. Especially since the ACR demo last year where they showed the Greek fire cannon. It was a very cinematic and linear mission, almost like they designed it solely so they could show off something movie-like at cons. It's still okay at the moment, I just hope they won't add too much of that in AC3.

pirate1802
04-24-2012, 05:53 AM
I didn't feel this (being cinematic) was a problem, I liked it.

SlowBlo
04-24-2012, 06:34 AM
I actually tend to agree. I don't feel as much in control in regards to the main missions at some points. Obviously, the exception is the big and epic battle at the end of ACI and ACII. I wish to see more of those, especially going into ACIII that ACB and ACR seemed to skim over. The assassination missions didn't really give much joy as they did.

Although, to go to the 'other side' for a second...the story is unfolding more and more with each game. Ubisoft wanted to recap those stories in ACB and ACR. This may make them appear more cinematic, which is not truly a bother to me.

LordWolv
04-24-2012, 06:47 AM
I think currently we have the right amount of cinematic scenes, I play video games about 70% for the story, not the gameplay. That's why I tend to set difficulty levels to the lowest, to follow the story much better.

Because I'm like this, I don't mind cinematic scenes that show us things we couldn't do ourselves; like throw a punch in a particular way, kick, etc etc. But if it were a cutscene of freerunning, for instance, I would want to play it myself.

Moultonborough
04-24-2012, 07:24 AM
It doesn't bother me. Just look at FF XIII or MGS4(though I like both) AC cut scene length is nothing compared to them. But I do wish the cut scene quality was on par with FF.

nukelukespuke34
04-24-2012, 07:30 AM
Did they seriously just censor the word "bu++on"? What the crap?

ProletariatPleb
04-24-2012, 08:01 AM
I like the way it is, I enjoy cutscenes, those press ****on in the middle of cutscene in ACII were annoying. I like cinematics, allowing things not always possible in-game. In AC1, when Al Mualim or anyone is talking to you and you can move around, it feels awkward. Al Mualim talking to me and I'm roaming around/ looking in opposite direction -__- highly immersion breaking.

BBALive
04-24-2012, 09:25 AM
It'll be 'too cinematic' when it gets to the level of Metal Gear Solid. For now, it's fine.

TorQue1988
04-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Being cinematic is a great thing. One thing i did not like about old games in general (especially open-world ones) is that, sometimes, it feels like walking around in a empty shell that resembles a city, with no immersion whatsoever. The cinematic feel of newer games is a huge improvement.

dxsxhxcx
04-24-2012, 01:48 PM
I don't mind some cinematics, but those moments right before we assassinate our target with Altair were pretty cool and immersive, I would love if they come back...

lukaszep
04-24-2012, 01:53 PM
I did like AC:R (which is definitely the most cinematic so far) but obviously like most people AC2 is my favourite. Not just because of the control you have but because there is a lot of content, which you can only really get in a less linear game.
I don't believe it would be terrible for there to be a more action orientated, linear AC (maybe a spin off), but it would have to be longer. The more linear and cinematic it is, the longer it needs to be, because what you see in front of you is all you get. Take Uncharted for example. U2 was the perfect length and cinematic, but U3 tried to outdo it, and was even more cinematic, but so much shorter, and more of the same that it didn't compare to its predecessor.

UrDeviant1
04-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Cinematics for pointless things you could do yourself are pointless. But epic cut-scenes with equally epic music get me excited. As long as It's kept that way I don't really mind, I'v never thought AC had too many cinematics.

LightRey
04-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Cinematics for pointless things you could do yourself are pointless. But epic cut-scenes with equally epic music get me excited. As long as It's kept that way I don't really mind, I'v never thought AC had too many cinematics.
I agree 100% with this.

masterfenix2009
04-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Personally, I'm fine with it. I like cutscenes that focus on the character's face, so I can get emotional from their sadness or anger.

freddie_1897
04-24-2012, 06:07 PM
I'm fine as it is, but i hope they don't go overboard, i'd like them to utilise the features they already have, not add in linear ones

D.I.D.
04-25-2012, 01:07 AM
I don't mind cutscenes at all. I know that's a time to see some story, and I can take my hands off the controls while I watch it.

What I don't like is a game trying to challenge movies with explosive events that obstruct my input. I don't like watching a sequence which pretends to be stressful and difficult for the character, but actually involves me holding down forward and hitting jump now and again. I don't like a glossy, graphically sophisticated scene where the actual mechanic is nakedly nothing more than "paint those boats with your crosshairs".

We all know game design BS when we see it, or rather we should. It won't be long until we're all looking back at this period of games and facepalming at these blatant cosmetics.

rileypoole1234
04-25-2012, 02:06 AM
While the AC1 cutscene system immersed me the most, I find it silly sometimes when I'm stood in a completely different direction or walking back and forth and the NPC is still talking to me. It's even more ridiculous when Altair makes hand gestures while looking off in another direction. I like the cutscenes and cinematic moments a lot, I just hope they're not used in excess. They weren't in any other AC so I'm confident that it won't be the case with AC3.

shobhit7777777
04-25-2012, 05:48 AM
I've been a little worried about this myself. Especially since the ACR demo last year where they showed the Greek fire cannon. It was a very cinematic and linear mission, almost like they designed it solely so they could show off something movie-like at cons. It's still okay at the moment, I just hope they won't add too much of that in AC3.

This

I'm all for 'Cinematic' but it needs to be the RIGHT kind of cinematic. Ridley Scott/Steve Spielberg/J. J. Abrams - Yes Michael Bay/James Cameron - No

Zebroneath
04-25-2012, 05:54 AM
Linear games often have to have some sort of cinematic in order to not bore you to death that all you are doing is killing people. The cinematics are important in that it plays a major part into understanding the story as well as creating a scripted/dialogue heavy sequence that shows how much work the writers put into the story. What must not be done is that the cinematics make you fall asleep, which Metal Gear Solid 4 did with their one hour long cut scenes. Their is no problem with ACIII having more cinematics as long as it works well with the amount of gameplay you have.

BeCk41
04-25-2012, 11:51 AM
I really like the cinematic's and quite look forward to seeing them, I can't wait to see some in AC3 : )

pacmanate
04-25-2012, 01:03 PM
I like cinematics. Just think about AC3's cinematics. DAT ENGINE :o

goclo822
04-25-2012, 10:28 PM
I don't know, I personally love the cinematics in all games because it makes them feel as if you are playing a movie which really dives you into the storyline. Especially with Assassin's Creed because the storyline really is quite deep and in-depth. It really immerses you into it.

Animuses
04-25-2012, 11:15 PM
The beginning of Revelations is biggest culprit of being too cinematic. The game starts off with a trailer. UNACCEPTABLE. Either include it in as GAMEPLAY or don't even bother to include it at all.
The first assassination was terrible. Instead of being able to fight the guy, all I was able to do was press a ****on and instantly kill him.

I'm sure I can find Brotherhood or even ACII being too cinematic at one point or another, but based off the knowledge I have now, Revelations seems to be overly cinematic more so than any other AC game.

I couldn't really think of much off the top of my head since this hasn't really been much of an issue until recently. I could watch a walkthrough of Revelations to find more cases of this, but I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a plastic knife.

D.I.D.
04-25-2012, 11:38 PM
This

I'm all for 'Cinematic' but it needs to be the RIGHT kind of cinematic. Ridley Scott/Steve Spielberg/J. J. Abrams - Yes Michael Bay/James Cameron - No

Haha!

Very good point. It's pretty obvious AC caught a bad case of Uncharted envy during the production of ACR, and you're right, that doesn't fit.

I would go even further than that - AC's sense of cinema should be nowhere near that of any blockbuster director. It could be so much classier than any modern Hollywood model, if they chose to do it.

SixKeys
04-26-2012, 12:46 AM
Many people seem to have a problem with being able to move your character during the cutscenes in AC1. While I do wish they had some sort of mechanic in place that Alta´r would at least turn his head towards the direction of the person he's talking with (they fixed this in AC2), I actually like being in control of the character. It's like I'm creating my own little movie instead of watching something pre-chewed. I can change the camera angle whenever I like, I can make Alta´r pace up and down nervously during a heated discussion or make him turn away from Al Mualim or Malik as if he's too angry or ashamed to face them. In a small way, I am creating my own version of the character in that moment and determine what kind of character he is. For example whenever I start a new playthrough, I tend to have Alta´r move around a lot because in the beginning he's a restless and arrogant person. As the story progresses and he learns more about being a proper assassin, I limit his movements to a minimum, to reflect the inner change I've directed him through in the course of the game.

TheHumanTowel
04-26-2012, 08:08 AM
There is a skyfight at the end of ACR. I think that says it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RWakdtV3UHA#t=38 2s
Skip to 6:30

pirate1802
04-26-2012, 01:43 PM
That skyfight was lame -__-

dxsxhxcx
04-26-2012, 02:33 PM
That skyfight was lame -__-

that entire sequence was lame, Ezio chasing Ahmet through the air with his parachute, when I played that mission the first thing I thought was: Seriously Ubisoft, 1st person missions, Den Defense and now this?! :p

SixKeys
04-26-2012, 06:38 PM
Agreed. It was probably the silliest sequence in any of the AC games so far. The parachute gliding with Sofia stretched my suspension of disbelief even more than the skyfight.

TheHumanTowel
04-26-2012, 06:40 PM
that entire sequence was lame, Ezio chasing Ahmet through the air with his parachute, when I played that mission the first thing I thought was: Seriously Ubisoft, 1st person missions, Den Defense and now this?! :p
That whole mission is completely ridiculous. My suspension of disbelief was so shattered it actually hurt.

LightRey
04-26-2012, 06:41 PM
That whole mission is completely ridiculous. My suspension of disbelief was so shattered it actually hurt.
It is all in accordance with the laws of physics as far as I can determine.

SolidSage
04-26-2012, 06:45 PM
TS: Nah, Assassins Creed is becoming too EPIC for our minds to handle. That about it. :)

SixKeys
04-26-2012, 06:46 PM

Really? So either time slowed down to allow Ezio and Ahmet to complete their fist fight or the cliff they fell off was about a mile high.

TheHumanTowel
04-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Really? Ezio's whole diving on top of the guards on horseback and back up again struck me as a little shaky. Even if it is possible the skyfight is so out of place. AC was the last series I would have expected to have a sequence like that.

freddie_1897
04-26-2012, 07:55 PM
Really? Ezio's whole diving on top of the guards on horseback and back up again struck me as a little shaky. Even if it is possible the skyfight is so out of place. AC was the last series I would have expected to have a sequence like that.
the skylight went on for way too long, he would have hit the cliff like 5 secs after falling

LightRey
04-26-2012, 07:58 PM
Really? So either time slowed down to allow Ezio and Ahmet to complete their fist fight or the cliff they fell off was about a mile high.
you do realize half the fight was in slow motion right?

shobhit7777777
04-26-2012, 08:20 PM

The amount of 'Truth' in this is staggering. I agree 100%.

It made me feel embarassed for AC

xOMGITSJASONx
04-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Considering Revelations was the most cinematic of the bunch not really. I played cinematic games like Heavy Rain you have nothing to fear. Heavy Rain was a great game btw.

SixKeys
04-27-2012, 01:33 AM
you do realize half the fight was in slow motion right?

Of course. Even so.

masterfenix2009
04-27-2012, 01:52 AM
Ok. The first thing: WHO CARES IF ITS REALISTIC AS LONG AS YOUR HAVING FUN.

I really liked that part of the game. It was fun. Fun gameplay is way more important then realism.

pirate1802
04-27-2012, 07:37 AM

I really liked that part of the game. It was fun. Fun gameplay is way more important then realism.

the problem is different people have different idea of fun, For some people realism IS fun, for some people killing indiscriminately is fun.

masterfenix2009
04-27-2012, 07:40 AM
Certain realism is fun. Red Dead Redemption is the perfect blend of realism and fun. But over exaggerated realism, like GTA 4, is annoying.

TheHumanTowel
04-27-2012, 06:34 PM

A game like AC, which is reasonably historically accurate, doesn't have to realistic but it has to be believable. All the stuff with the pieces of eden and eagle vision are grand because in the AC universe it is established from the beginning those things are possible. The parachute chase and skyfight are so unbelievable and out of touch with the rest of the series. It hurts my enjoyment of the game.

SixKeys
04-27-2012, 09:47 PM
A game like AC, which is reasonably historically accurate, doesn't have to realistic but it has to be believable. All the stuff with the pieces of eden and eagle vision are grand because in the AC universe it is established from the beginning those things are possible. The parachute chase and skyfight are so unbelievable and out of touch with the rest of the series. It hurts my enjoyment of the game.

^ All of this. Plus, I didn't think the sequence was even fun, it was mostly just annoying.

pirate1802
04-28-2012, 08:24 AM
The parachute chase was fun (for me) but the skyfight was embarrassing.

dxsxhxcx
04-28-2012, 02:26 PM

you perfectly described what I feel about that sequence (and the one where we burn those ships too), thanks for posting this TheHumanTowel... :)

TheHumanTowel
04-28-2012, 03:41 PM
you perfectly described what I feel about that sequence (and the one where we burn those ships too), thanks for posting this TheHumanTowel... :)
Please, i'm no hero. I'm just your average devilishly handsome man selflessly trying to make this forum a safer place for everybody. ;)

freddie_1897
04-28-2012, 03:43 PM
you don't want it to be so realistic that falling off building causes you to break your leg and you have to pull yourself to a hospital. but you also don't want to be able to transform into a monkey and go around stealing bananas (actually i do want to do that, but you know what i mean)

OriginalMiles
04-28-2012, 03:47 PM
you don't want it to be so realistic that falling off building causes you to break your leg and you have to pull yourself to a hospital. but you also don't want to be able to transform into a monkey and go around stealing bananas (actually i do want to do that, but you know what i mean)
Transforming into a monkey isn't unrealistic, I can do it, I'll do it now, but it does take away basic human intelligechdvhdsjhjvkxd..hno;;i

But seriously, I'd love to see a monkey Connor or Altair.

freddie_1897
04-28-2012, 03:48 PM
Transforming into a monkey isn't unrealistic, I can do it, I'll do it now, but it does take away basic human intelligechdvhdsjhjvkxd..hno;;i

But seriously, I'd love to see a monkey Connor or Altair.
this is what happens when the teams from rayman and Assassins creed work together

Animuses
04-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Certain realism is fun. Red Dead Redemption is the perfect blend of realism and fun. But over exaggerated realism, like GTA 4, is annoying.
Best post of the day.

And yes, how can I forget about the parachute sequence or the "falling with style" boss battle with Ahmet. If they ever try to do that with Assassin's Creed again, I'll be officially done with the series.

De Filosoof
04-29-2012, 06:23 PM
Yeah, stop the Die-hard hollywood bullcrap.
We have enough of that in ****ty action movies.
Please focus on the atmosphere.

And don't spoil the path we have to go in the tombs/lairs with the freakin' camera angles!

It sucked...

NuclearFuss
04-29-2012, 07:17 PM
They can go as cinematic as they want as long as they do it right. Some clever cut-scene direction and an incredible soundtrack to go with it and I'll probably be happy.

masterfenix2009
04-30-2012, 01:59 AM
Best post of the day.

And yes, how can I forget about the parachute sequence or the "falling with style" boss battle with Ahmet. If they ever try to do that with Assassin's Creed again, I'll be officially done with the series. I'm sure that part was in slow-motion.

dxsxhxcx
04-30-2012, 02:33 AM
I'm sure that part was in slow-motion.

this doesn't make it less lame, what's in check isn't if that scene was realistic or not but how exagerated that sequence was for some people, not everyone get impressed by these "holywoodian style" sequences... and this certainly isn't what I look for when I play AC...

I'm not entirely against them as long as they don't go too much over the board and don't make them a major thing in the game (one or two scenes like that are enough IMO), what didn't happen in the sequences mentioned before (skyfight, parachute chase, the mission where we burn those ships, the carriage sequence at the beginning of the game)...

kudos17
04-30-2012, 04:05 AM
The slow-mo falling fight in Revelations was by far the worst "cinematic experience" offender in the AC series so far, by far.

Actually, the moment you start assassinating people while hanging from a parachute on a horse wagon is ridiculous, stuff the mid-air fight. It's not something I want in an Assassin's Creed game.

Don't get me wrong, cinematic moments can be cool, but not when they dip too far into gameplay. Want to place camera angles or escape routes so the look cooler when I'm running by? Okay, sure. Want to deliberately shove me into a "interactive" scene for the sake of "cool explosions" and such? No thanks.

Assassin's Creed's cutscenes are a good example of cinematics. Gameplay, good story, then back to gameplay. I don't, however, want it to bleed into the missions where there's only one good way to assassinate someone, or one good escape route. That's not why I play Assassin's Creed.

AC1 was the greatest example of freedom. No guides, no rules - plan your moves yourself, and act on them. No markers popping up everywhere on how to climb a building or who to assassinate. AC2 was great too. It had way more true cutscenes, but didn't sacrifice freedom of gameplay. AC:B started feeling more linear. AC:R is the most linear of all the AC games to date.

I feel, though, that Ubisoft can blend cinematics and player freedom pretty well in AC3. The Wilderness and cities are just too big not to give the player more freedom.

Razrback16
04-30-2012, 12:27 PM
No, I am not concerned about this at all. I don't feel it's too cinematic at all. The cinematics have always been well-timed and not too long. They develop the story which is part of what makes AC as epic as it is.

NewBlade200
04-30-2012, 04:23 PM
I don't mind the over-cinematic thing they're going at as much as the stupidness of some of the scenes, such as the first one in ACR where Ezio kickes the gargoyle off the rooftop then dives after it before it breaks the ground. Granted, returning to the non-linear origin of the series would be nice. After ACR I'm not sure that I'll be getting it on day one.

masterfenix2009
05-01-2012, 04:15 AM
When Ezio started that parachute fight, I didn't expect it. I thought it was awesome. I was having fun picking up guards when one press of the bottom and throwing them to the ground. On the way I was so looking forward to killing Ahmet . During the slow-mo fight I was like "HA HA! YES! *PUNCH* *PUNCH* *PUNCH* Sure, the Sultan coming in the nick of time was a little cheesy,but easy to overlook.

TheHumanTowel
05-01-2012, 08:05 AM
When Ezio started that parachute fight, I didn't expect it. I thought it was awesome. I was having fun picking up guards when one press of the bottom and throwing them to the ground. On the way I was so looking forward to killing Ahmet . During the slow-mo fight I was like "HA HA! YES! *PUNCH* *PUNCH* *PUNCH* Sure, the Sultan coming in the nick of time was a little cheesy,but easy to overlook.
I didn't expect it either and when it happened I cringed. It was an embarrassing sequence.

xIKillYoux
05-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Tiger and Panther tanks destroyed all but HF was hard for them to, they shot at him from all the guns and heavy Artillery, otherwise they could not do anything about his thick armor, while Sherman ate the meat.

naran6142
05-01-2012, 09:40 PM
I didn't expect it either and when it happened I cringed. It was an embarrassing sequence.

ya it was kinda cool at first but what i really didnt like about it was that ezio used 3 parachutes in that mission. that was a little much

masterfenix2009
05-02-2012, 02:36 AM
So flying machines, tanks, and other war machines are cool, but parachute fights are too much?

TheHumanTowel
05-02-2012, 08:14 AM
So flying machines, tanks, and other war machines are cool, but parachute fights are too much?
Well....yes. The war machines are all believable because they're based off Leonardo da Vinci's actual designs. I don't mind Ezio having a parachute as Da Vinci did design one but having him parasailing off the back of a carraige while defying the laws of physics to hop down on guards on horseback and back up again is a bit much. .....And then there's the skyfight :s

SixKeys
05-02-2012, 10:58 AM
I always thought the parachute was the dumbest gadget Ezio had anyway. I hate how he can just pull fifteen of them out of his *** and they disappear into thin air once he drops. The war machines were over the top but still plausible because of how they were presented within the missions. The parachute just seemed like an extremely lazy idea. In Brotherhood you weren't forced to use it at any point and I could pretend it wasn't canon, but in Revelations they actually made it part of the story, meaning you couldn't pretend Ezio did the mission any other way.

dxsxhxcx
05-02-2012, 02:53 PM

(IMO and from what I can remember) they were less exaggerated than the ones in ACR, this doesn't make them cool, but at least don't make them so lame like the ones in ACR (but IMO they're all dispensable)

Noble6
05-02-2012, 03:44 PM

Yeah. Gameplay doesn't have to be realistic and can be unrealistic without breaking the immersion but stuff concerning the story shouldn't be unrealistic(like breaking laws of physics) I'm not sure if I like this cinematic style since I enjoy more interacting with living and breathing environment but in small portions cinematic gameplay is nice change to usual gameplay .*munches a banana*

D.I.D.
05-03-2012, 09:37 AM

Yes. Fun diversions involving different gameplay which involved some skill.

It was the right kind of silliness, whereas the parachute fight... I struggle to think of how to explain it, but it reminded me of Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull: see what I mean? You know that empty feeling?

On one hand, you shouldn't be able to complain about anything on the basis of realism because so much else is utterly unrealistic, and I see that point, but that's not really what my objection is about. It's not to do with realism, it's to do with whether something feels like a nice change of pace, or something the accountant thought would be a caper. A bit of craziness. Something the kids are gonna love. You know. Chewbacca was cool, right? Well you're going to love Jar Jar Binks.

Also, did I hate the falling-off-the-cliff kill because it was unrealistic that I was falling was so long and was it in slow-motion or not and NO. I hated it because it was "press X to not die", to quote Yahtzee. It's 2012 and some people still think Track & Field had a good gameplay mechanic. No. Nobody should be defending QTEs.

roostersrule2
05-04-2012, 07:42 AM
You do realise AC3 cut scenes are being shot like a movie so you won't be able to control connor during them.