PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft sued over alleged infringement of Assassin's Creed storyline.

Pages : [1] 2

catkiller97
04-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Read Here - Ubisoft sued over alleged infringement of Assassin's Creed storyline. (http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/168758/Ubisoft_sued_over_alleged_infringement_of_Assassin s_Creed_storyline.php)

Legendz54
04-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Governments, CIA, Free Masons and Templars are trying to stop the game from coming out :0
I swear if this guy stops AC3 from coming out I'm going to kill myself...

cless711
04-18-2012, 02:22 PM
I really have no idea what to say to this.. Just.. Wow..

zerocooll21
04-18-2012, 02:39 PM
LOL I just read that. I'm curious about this Book now.

LightRey
04-18-2012, 02:40 PM
What a D-word. This is exactly why things like copyright should be abolished.

zerocooll21
04-18-2012, 02:40 PM
You think this guy even has a case?

LightRey
04-18-2012, 02:42 PM
I haven't read his novels, so I don't know. Worst case scenario would likely be a settlement though.

jonnyrox5
04-18-2012, 02:48 PM
http://www.johnbeiswenger.com/author/link.htm
that is a link to what the novel is about, i don't think that they will stop the production of assassin's creed 3 and why has this guy spoke out about it now?

infamous_ezio
04-18-2012, 02:53 PM
I bet its some bloke who is just trying to get money out of ubisoft.. if the game doesn't come out, i don't know what [Removed for Language] i'd do with my self... i can't just study without procrastinating like hell to play assassin's creed, doesn't work like that. ;)

jonnyrox5
04-18-2012, 02:54 PM
ubisoft has to much of a high reputation :)

GLHS
04-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Wow, way to go r-tard. Lets sue one of the most currently successful franchises in games 5 years and 5 games after it's release. I hate when people try to capitolize on other people's successes.

twenty_glyphs
04-18-2012, 03:02 PM
What a D-word. This is exactly why things like copyright should be abolished.

That would be crazy. Copyright is an important tool that has encouraged the creation of many wonderful works since the creators can profit from their creation and control how it is used. It's what protects the Assassin's Creed brand from having tons of direct ripoffs that other people could sell themselves. If you're not going to own the work you create and have the ability to make money from it and control it, what is your motivation for creating it? An individual could come up with a great idea that a large company with more resources could just copy and produce themselves without having to compensate the person with the original idea. The copyright system certainly needs some serious reformation, but the concept of copyright itself should never go away. This particular case involves the way the legal system works and how easy it is to file so many of these lawsuits, which is the bigger problem here.

People also write crappy songs all the time and then sue famous musical artists for copyright infringement of some demo they made and sent to the artist's record label, even though the artist never heard it themselves. That's the reason why companies will almost never accept any kind of ideas like demo tapes or other creative concepts. If they never open unsolicited idea material, then the people who created those concepts can't claim that the company ever saw their work. I've seen UbiGabe mention that there are things like game concepts they can't accept, and I know it's due to protecting themselves from copyright trolls.

Unfortunately, it's often cheaper for a company being sued to simply settle out of court and pay off these trolls than it is to pay lawyers to fight the lawsuit in court. That's absolutely crazy, but often true.

EDIT: And I seriously doubt this would ever affect the release of AC3. The person bringing the suit would have to ask for an injunction to stop the sale of Assassin's Creed products in the United States (if that's where the suit is being brought), and a judge would have to approve that. I doubt the plaintiff is asking for that, since the release of AC3 would only increase the "damages" done against him and allow him to ask for even more money.

POP1Fan
04-18-2012, 03:06 PM
XD XD XD I love when unknown people sue famous companies or people for "stealing" their ideeas.I heard of the book before from one of my friend's father (who is a very "hardcore" reader) but it never sparked any interest for me from the little he told me.At best what Ubisoft did was a LITTLE inspiration.

GLHS
04-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Yeah, but nobody has said that anybody on the team has read or even heard of this book. 90% of the time, this crap is just coincidence that it happens to be similar and 2 people or collections of people happen to have similar ideas. I'd be willing to be that they had no idea about this guy's book when they created the story.

Acrimonious_Nin
04-18-2012, 03:14 PM
He's just trying to sell his book(Publicity). I mean, do you see the wachowski brothers suing Ubisoft for making a machine that interacts with your brain? or Back to the Future writers suing because they took a sci-fi concept of reliving the past. lol this man just like it was stated above, is capitalizing on Ubisofts awesome juices.

notafanboy
04-18-2012, 03:15 PM
i don´t get why he tries to sue gamtrailers.

ProletariatPleb
04-18-2012, 03:17 PM
i don´t get why he tries to sue gametrailers.
Money-grab.

infamous_ezio
04-18-2012, 03:17 PM
i kinda think of the game being an altered version of inception, in ACB when rebecca mentioned having "a memory within a memory" i was all like....
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110926120836/bleachfanfiction/images/thumb/2/27/Raisins_Face.jpg/640px-Raisins_Face.jpg
ITS LIKE A DREAM WITHIN A DREAM!

freddie_1897
04-18-2012, 03:44 PM
this guy is an author who's wrote a series of books no-one's even heard about, he only wants the money because his books didn't sell well. besides, I'm sure Corey may didn't have the idea of assassins creed after reading this novel, plus its a video game, not a book, and he's just annoyed that its better selling than his books

lukaszep
04-18-2012, 03:52 PM
This "case" is laughable.
There is no copyright, unless the guy holds copyright to the idea of someone using machinery to view ancestral memories? It's been theorized and it's not something you can copyright.
Also, sueing Gametrailers doesn't make sense, they didn't create the AC trailers, they just host them like many other websites. Sue YouTube aswell?

pirate1802
04-18-2012, 03:58 PM
Oh crap he can sue me too.. I shared the trailer once :O

freddie_1897
04-18-2012, 04:04 PM
hey, if anyone works in law could you tell us whether he's got a good case?

ProletariatPleb
04-18-2012, 04:28 PM
I just read through the papers filed, and it's bull**** IMO.
Suing Ubi & GT for "having access to Link" and still making game/posting videos.
I don't think his guy knows how the media works now.

Also for using the terms "link" "genetic memories" "Ancestral memories" "synchronize" and "assassins".

freddie_1897
04-18-2012, 04:30 PM
I just read through the papers filed, and it's bull**** IMO.
Suing Ubi & GT for "having access to Link" and still making game/posting videos.

Also for using the terms "link" "genetic memories" "Ancestral memories" "synchronize" and "assassins".
those words aren't copyrighted, Assassins creed is copyrighted but you can't copyright those words on their own

ProletariatPleb
04-18-2012, 04:32 PM
those words aren't copyrighted, Assassins creed is copyrighted but you can't copyright those words on their own
I hope you don't think I'm defending him, because that's what I just said, his guy doesn't know how media works I think.

De Filosoof
04-18-2012, 04:41 PM
i kinda think of the game being an altered version of inception, in ACB when rebecca mentioned having "a memory within a memory" i was all like....

ITS LIKE A DREAM WITHIN A DREAM!

Don't you think this joke is old and totally not funny?
No hard feelings:).

reini03
04-18-2012, 04:43 PM
What the hell. What is it that made suing others over some BS so popular lately? ._.

freddie_1897
04-18-2012, 04:46 PM
I hope you don't think I'm defending him, because that's what I just said, his guy doesn't know how media works I think.
no, no, no, i was agreeing with you, on all levels! sorry i didn't make it clear enough, i was just adding to your comment

lukaszep
04-18-2012, 04:57 PM
I read through the entire document, and it's ridiculous.
He calls copyright infringement based on the tiniest similarities.
E.g.
AC features gods Juno, Jupiter, Minerva
Link has a character relive a memory involving Jesus.

AC discusses a fetus interfering with memories.
Link discusses a fetus getting memories passed onto them.

It's impossible for Ubisoft to lose this case.

LordWolv
04-18-2012, 04:59 PM
If this guy gets any money out of anyone I will eat whatever you give me.

pirate1802
04-18-2012, 05:03 PM
If this guy somehow stops AC3 from releasing I swear to god I'll become an assassin and take him down assassino style, then say Requesca de pace xD

infamous_ezio
04-18-2012, 05:04 PM
I read through the entire document, and it's ridiculous.
He calls copyright infringement based on the tiniest similarities.
E.g.
AC features gods Juno, Jupiter, Minerva
Link has a character relive a memory involving Jesus.

AC discusses a fetus interfering with memories.
Link discusses a fetus getting memories passed onto them.

It's impossible for Ubisoft to lose this case.

ahaha its actually a joke. when did ac mention anything about a fetus? was that with one of the previous subjects?

infamous_ezio
04-18-2012, 05:05 PM
If this guy somehow stops AC3 from releasing I swear to god I'll become an assassin and take him down assassino style, then say Requesca de pace xD

this bloke doesn't deserve Requesca de pace...

anyways lets get this joker... ASSASSINOS UNITE!

NewBlade200
04-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Now I feel obligated to buy a Ubi title just to help them win the case...

dewgel
04-18-2012, 06:03 PM
This really winds me up so much. How can this guy claim that much in damages?

Damages mean that he feels that because Ubisoft have done something remotely similar to him, but better, that he has LOST that money. Damages would mean he's lost that revenue.

I don't think a book would have brought him £5 million in lost revenue. Absolutely idiot he is.

Funny how it's took him until now to do this, he's waited until Assassin's Creed is at it's most popular and worth the most buck.

freddie_1897
04-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Ubisoft has a team of lawyers working for them to insure all copyright issues, they can afford top-end lawyers to defend them in court.

this author has probably been to loads of lawyers and has only just found one who will take the case, this lawyer probably isn't that good.

TheHumanTowel
04-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Ubisoft has a team of lawyers working for them to insure all copyright issues, they can afford top-end lawyers to defend them in court.

this author has probably been to loads of lawyers and has only just found one who will take the case, this lawyer probably isn't that good.
Yeah this guy's argument seems paper-thin. I don't think it will have any effect on the production of AC3.

frogger504
04-18-2012, 06:30 PM
If what he says is true yeah.

Hey, while I love AC if they stole his work and made a billion dollar game franchise off of his story then he deserves to be compensated. I say they hire him as Lead Writer, if it was his story after all. I'm curious about this book. I'll be reading it soon.

pacmanate
04-18-2012, 07:14 PM
Ubisoft need to go down for this. How could they do this.

tH3PatRi0Tx1776
04-18-2012, 07:26 PM
If what he says is true yeah.

Hey, while I love AC if they stole his work and made a billion dollar game franchise off of his story then he deserves to be compensated. I say they hire him as Lead Writer, if it was his story after all. I'm curious about this book. I'll be reading it soon.

His book has nothing to do with AC, it has to do with spirituality, your soul, and God. It's a Christian Sci-Fi book, not an action-adventure sci-fi story. From the comments made on the book and the synopsis, the book isn't about a long age battle between the Assassin Order and the Templar Order, but it's about proving the existence of the soul and God.

As a Christian, the book sounds interesting, but also as a Christian I will not support him by buying his book because of what he is doing, which is basically trying to steal Ubisofts money. I bet one of his friends son's told him about AC and he probably thought that now is his chance to claim money, I mean google search him and you'll see all his ridiculous patents.

So is he going to sue the Hashashins too? for being assassins? Oh and also sue every scientists who has theories on genetic memories? I mean, it's bad enough that Ubisoft is getting sued for this, but by a Christian? You gotta be kidding me, just making us Christians look bad now.

This guy has no solid bases for his lawsuit, viewing genetic memories through a machine is a very old scientific theory and a very common human thought, for example, when I was a young kid I owned a virtual boy and I would play all the time and I thought that it would be cool if I could see the memories of my ancestors and play them like a video game and I would pretend that's what I was doing. Yes, I did actually think about that before AC and before I did research and found out it was an actual theory. No, I'm not lying about this and I'm pretty sure some of you had thought about that too. (I didn't sleep much as a kid because of those scientific thoughts and questions in my mind haha) but that doesn't mean I'm gonna sue Ubi because I thought about it first, it's a human thought that lots of creative people have.

DavisP92
04-18-2012, 07:37 PM
I hope he loses the case, he sounds like an idiot to me. i mean he's suing gametrailers, wtf. Okay so then that means he should sue ign, gamespot, youtube, hulu, and every source of media out there

Azurefeatherfly
04-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Ok, let's actually look at some of his claims. I will use four comparisons made between the book Link and Assassin's Creed. I am directly copying these from the complaint,

In Link, there are spiritual and biblical tones, with references made to
Jesus and God, the Garden of Eden, and forbidden fruit.

In the Assassin’s Creed video game series and books, there are spiritual and biblical tones, with references made to various Gods, Adam and Eve,
and relics called Pieces of Eden.

Personally, I really do not understand how the references to biblical and religious ideas became a copyright infringement.

In Link, characters experience notable and accurate historical
moments through their ancestors’ memories; this is a major plotline of Link.

In the Assassin’s Creed video game series, characters experience various historically accurate times in history through their ancestor’s memories;
this is a major plotline of the Assassin’s Creed video games and books.

The idea of genetic memory was present in a book published in 1977, and the awareness of genetic memory would provoke the interest of anyone to invent something that could extract it. People do not get to own scientific terms.

A recurring theme in Link is the battle between good and evil; in Link, Med Diagnostics plans to steal and use the Link technology to its benefit;
and governmental entities try to get Search International to use the Link device and
process to interrogate “assassins” and their families.

A recurring theme in the Assassin’s Creed video games and books is a battle between good and evil; in the Assassin’s Creed video game series, Abstergo
Industries uses the Animus technology to interrogate Desmond to try and find
other assassins.

Numerous inaccuracies. Templars vs Assassins is a conflict of free-will vs control/determinism. Desmond was never used to find other Assassins, it was always to find the Pieces of Eden.

Throughout Link, the phrases “ancestral memories,” “link,”
“synchronize,” and “assassins,” and similar variations thereof, are used.

Throughout the Assassin’s Creed video games, videos, and books, the phrases “genetic memories of ancestors,” “link,” “synchronize,” and “assassins,”
and similar variations thereof, are used.

This last comparison speaks for itself. Since when did people have copyrights over a collection of words?

Timeaus
04-18-2012, 07:53 PM
I hope he loses the case, he sounds like an idiot to me. i mean he's suing gametrailers, wtf. Okay so then that means he should sue ign, gamespot, youtube, hulu, and every source of media out there

Yeah, I don't understand how he could sue GT too. I mean i understand why he would sue Ubisoft, but GT too wtf is up with that. GT did not come up with AC ideas, so suing them would be ridiculous. This guy seemed too greedy and tries to get as much money as he can. Plus his book is not that similar to the AC series and I don't think Ubisoft is dump enough to stole someone idea to put it in their most successful franchise. People share ideas, it happen everyday.

rileypoole1234
04-18-2012, 07:59 PM
If two songs sound alike, nobody is suing anybody. When a videogame is similar to a novel, the game company gets sued. I officially hate that man. What a stupid person.

Timeaus
04-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Ok, his reason are the similar word used in both the game and his book like assassin and synchronize. Unless he came up with these words himself then it wouldn't be a valid reason cause surely the word assassin and synchronize appear in hundred of books, movie, and video games. Another reason is that he said that he recurring theme of good vs. evil appear in both, I'm sure only AC and his Book are the only two thing that have this theme :rolleyes:. Another thing is that if he suing Ubisoft for using word like assassin, then Nintendo should sue him too because he used the title "Link" which similar to the Link from the Zelda series.

sticks165
04-18-2012, 08:27 PM
[QUOTE= then Nintendo should sue him too because he used the title "Link" which similar to the Link from the Zelda series.[/QUOTE]

you beat me to it i was about to say the same thing

freddie_1897
04-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Has anyone here read the book?
Because if someone has I'd like some first hand evidence on how similar the book is to the game.

blazefp
04-18-2012, 08:35 PM
I think he deserves to be spammed... or more <-
Just saying

morpheusPrime08
04-18-2012, 08:58 PM
This sucks, I dont know how often this happens in your countries, but in America hes most likely to get a settlemen for a few million, but hopefully with the success of ubis other games like Ghost recon, far cry, and the whole assassins series, it wont faze them much:)

frogger504
04-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Well it's mainly the frame story being sued about, not the Ancestor stories.

The whole genetic memories to view the past and view historic moments and all the religious connections. It is the base of AC that is nearly identical to the base of this book.

frogger504
04-18-2012, 09:02 PM
How about you all stop being ******s. A man felt a company was stealing his work and getting millions from it so it was his right to claim compensation. The man has done nothing wrong.

RzaRecta357
04-18-2012, 09:08 PM
How about you all stop being ******s. A man felt a company was stealing his work and getting millions from it so it was his right to claim compensation. The man has done nothing wrong.

Except there's nothing original under the sun. The fact is genetic memory isn't his idea. Catholic society isn't his idea. The assassin's and templars weren't his ideas. Half of these things are just facts. Buddy is an idiot...doing things an idiot would attempt.

Azurefeatherfly
04-18-2012, 09:17 PM

Neither has Ubisoft. He does not have the rights over the idea of genetic memory nor the idea of religious themes within a story and certainly not the idea of both as a basis for a story. If the actual story, characters and settings were similar then he might actually have a case however as of now this is a joke.

He also sued Gametrailers, for the Playstation Home Trailer for Assassin's Creed that was posted on said website. Absolutely ridiculous.

twenty_glyphs
04-18-2012, 09:21 PM
A recurring theme in Link is the battle between good and evil; in Link, Med Diagnostics plans to steal and use the Link technology to its benefit;
and governmental entities try to get Search International to use the Link device and

A recurring theme in the Assassin’s Creed video games and books is a battle between good and evil; in the Assassin’s Creed video game series, Abstergo
other assassins.

I love how they cite one of the similarities between the two works being that they both have a recurring theme of a battle between good and evil. I was not aware the Link book had invented the concept of telling a story about the battle between good and evil.

Jexx21
04-18-2012, 09:43 PM
Frogger, there's one thing wrong with your statements... practically ANY story that would involve reliving genetic memory at all would include reliving history as a key theme. The idea of going back to meet religious figures (Jesus, Bhuuda, Mohammad, etc.) goes along with it as well. These are not original ideas. These are things that multiple people have probably wrote about before Link came out. I read his case, it doesn't add up and I don't believe it will get far in court.

Not to mention, you can't have a copyright on the concept of assassins and assassinations.

KillGhast
04-18-2012, 10:14 PM
The man has no chance to win this, just a person who is frustrated.

Same principal with a smartphone, someone has originally came up with it, so if another company makes a smartphone, they steal the idea? Don't be ridicilious to say that this man has the right to claim money.

freddie_1897
04-18-2012, 10:14 PM
This guys case is smaller than my *****.

Wait a sec...

notafanboy
04-18-2012, 10:23 PM
This guys case is smaller than my *****.

Wait a sec...
said too much ?

freddie_1897
04-18-2012, 10:37 PM
said too much ?
I think it needs to be longer...
(that could be interpreted in different ways)
Insert 'that's what she said' meme below

Jamison_J_B
04-19-2012, 12:10 AM
Wow..this guy is a major jack***. Notice how ACIII has been getting huge sells in the U.S., then this sue happy moron says

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k614/Anna_The_Awesome/Snapbucket/8BC20939-orig.png

Probably think he can cash in or stop production of the AC just for his shiz and giggles. This guy better not f**k up ACIII or future games...I will be pissed.

Jamison_J_B
04-19-2012, 12:30 AM
this guy is an author who's wrote a series of books no-one's even heard about, he only wants the money because his books didn't sell well. besides, I'm sure Corey may didn't have the idea of assassins creed after reading this novel, plus its a video game, not a book, and he's just annoyed that its better selling than his books

^
This!

Sorry this moron is still pissing me off....arrggh

Jamison_J_B
04-19-2012, 12:33 AM

Can I join you?

D.I.D.
04-19-2012, 12:35 AM
Easy, kids.

If somebody violated Ubisoft's rights over Assassin's Creed, they would be straight to the lawyers and you would cheer them for it. You are simply catching feelings because it's aimed at the game you like. And he sues Gametrailers, because he doesn't know about games? The horror. Software companies have served takedown notices on videos, and you've seen Ubisoft do that yourself. They do it with more justification, but this guy is coming from the outside so his targets are badly chosen. He goes for what he's seen.

The man deserves to pursue the case. He might not be justified, and he might not win. Probably won't. That's for the legal system to decide.

De Filosoof
04-19-2012, 12:36 AM
I've send an email to him and this was his response:

Thank you for your email. Before you come to such conclusions, please read LINK and see why I wrote it in the first place. You will also see why the copyright infringement I am claiming is quite appropriate. Copyrights are important to keep creative people interested in sharing their work, just like patents. If it were not for the patent and copyright laws, very little progress would have been accomplished over the years. I can tell you are obviously an intelligent person who may well want something of your own copyrighted or patented some day. Best regards, John

D.I.D.
04-19-2012, 12:37 AM
I've send an email to him and this was his response:

Thank you for your email. Before you come to such conclusions, please read LINK and see why I wrote it in the first place. You will also see why the copyright infringement I am claiming is quite appropriate. Copyrights are important to keep creative people interested in sharing their work, just like patents. If it were not for the patent and copyright laws, very little progress would have been accomplished over the years. I can tell you are obviously an intelligent person who may well want something of your own copyrighted or patented some day. Best regards, John

A polite response. Let it be and stop harrassing him.

SixKeys
04-19-2012, 12:57 AM
I'm disappointed to see so many people immediately jumping to the conclusion that it's this guy who is in the wrong and that Ubisoft's record is squeaky clean. Then again, I guess I shouldn't expect more from a forum full of fanboys.

If this guy has no case, it will become clear in court. Should that be the case, then Ubisoft has nothing to worry about and we can all forget about this guy. However, calling him a money-grubbing b*stard when we don't know all the details is quite biased. His book came out 5 years before AC1 and shares a few similarities, however small, with the games. It's not at all far-fetched to imagine someone on the dev team might have read it and been influenced by it, even subconsciously. Some of the things he's claiming do sound ridiculous, like the fact that certain words appear in both books. As long as he didn't invent those words himself, that's no valid claim. However, a person reliving ancestral memories via a machine? Yeah, that does sound uncomfortably familiar.

I just find it hilarious that people are treating this like Ubisoft, an international multi-million corporation is the victim here. It's true that the guy has a very small chance of winning - not necessarily because he's got no case but because Ubisoft is an international multi-million corporation. They're the ones with the best lawyers, they're the ones with the money, they're the ones who could easily get away with ripping off a little-known author. Just remember what happened with the original Superman character and DC Comics.

Jamison_J_B
04-19-2012, 01:05 AM
I'm disappointed to see so many people immediately jumping to the conclusion that it's this guy who is in the wrong and that Ubisoft's record is squeaky clean. Then again, I guess I shouldn't expect more from a forum full of fanboys.

If this guy has no case, it will become clear in court. Should that be the case, then Ubisoft has nothing to worry about and we can all forget about this guy. However, calling him a money-grubbing b*stard when we don't know all the details is quite biased. His book came out 5 years before AC1 and shares a few similarities, however small, with the games. It's not at all far-fetched to imagine someone on the dev team might have read it and been influenced by it, even subconsciously. Some of the things he's claiming do sound ridiculous, like the fact that certain words appear in both books. As long as he didn't invent those words himself, that's no valid claim. However, a person reliving ancestral memories via a machine? Yeah, that does sound uncomfortably familiar.

I just find it hilarious that people are treating this like Ubisoft, an international multi-million corporation is the victim here. It's true that the guy has a very small chance of winning - not necessarily because he's got no case but because Ubisoft is an international multi-million corporation. They're the ones with the best lawyers, they're the ones with the money, they're the ones who could easily get away with ripping off a little-known author. Just remember what happened with the original Superman character and DC Comics.

If he genuinely believed his work was taken advantage of, then why wait 5 years to file a lawsuit? Smells very fishy to me.

SixKeys
04-19-2012, 01:15 AM
Not everyone keeps up with the world of video games, especially if this guy is some old Christian dude. If I asked anyone I know above the age of 35 what Assassin's Creed is, they wouldn't have a clue. It's possible that he only heard about it through a friend who has kids and who have maybe read his book. It's also possible he spent a couple of years trying to raise money for a lawyer as he knew it'd be an uphill battle. Remember, if this guy loses in court, he has way more at stake than Ubisoft. Finally, submitting a court case takes time thanks to all the bureaucracy. He might have submitted his case a while ago and the media are only now catching up.

Azurefeatherfly
04-19-2012, 02:49 AM
Not everyone keeps up with the world of video games, especially if this guy is some old Christian dude. If I asked anyone I know above the age of 35 what Assassin's Creed is, they wouldn't have a clue. It's possible that he only heard about it through a friend who has kids and who have maybe read his book. It's also possible he spent a couple of years trying to raise money for a lawyer as he knew it'd be an uphill battle. Remember, if this guy loses in court, he has way more at stake than Ubisoft. Finally, submitting a court case takes time thanks to all the bureaucracy. He might have submitted his case a while ago and the media are only now catching up.

His Complaint is dated as April 16, 2012. I really think you should go and read his complaint. Gameinformer has it in its article right here: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/04/18/man-sues-ubisoft-over-assassin-s-creed-story.aspx?PageIndex=1

Acrimonious_Nin
04-19-2012, 02:53 AM
WTF !!! HALTING THE RELEASE OF AC3 I am going to cry Q.Q

and assassins creed the chain Q.Q.

stevie-jay
04-19-2012, 02:58 AM
He sure took his time to figure things out...

IMRicko
04-19-2012, 03:04 AM
I mean seriously he's a freakin ****** -.-" just because our AC saga share similar story concept with his freakin' novel, it doesn't mean that he has the copyright of the story.

Sci-Fi Author Sues Ubisoft for Stealing "Assassin's Creed" Concept (http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/04/18/sci-fi-author-sues-ubisoft-for-stealing-assassins-creed-concept)Does that explain anything? Did he say that his story will be about reliving memory of someone's ancestor which are assassins?

Link involves a device known as a "Bio-Synthesizer," which allows people to access and experience their ancestors' memories. Bio synthesizer? to me it sounds more like a grass cutter tool than a device which can be used to relive ancestors memories.

5 million for the damage that ubisoft have done to him? Please just because his books do not sell well doesn't mean that he can just ask ubisoft for money. He's trying to block the release of AC3? I'll shoot a bullet on his head if that happens

Timeaus
04-19-2012, 03:09 AM
http://www.ufodigest.com/news/0706/dnamemory.html
this prove that he not the only one with the idea and plus people have these idea long before he did.

pdw1992
04-19-2012, 03:22 AM
First of all, I would like to take the time and apologize on behalf of the American people to the rest of the world for this American's actions. I can assure you that many of us are eager for this game and love the series.

Secondly, this man is clearly a moron. He seems to thinks that his copyright includes any words written within his book.

...have a nice day and or night.

sticks165
04-19-2012, 03:25 AM
this guy is an idiot -.-

abbitha7
04-19-2012, 03:47 AM
I swear, if AC III is not released...

Madman6884
04-19-2012, 03:58 AM
The only similarities between the series are as follows: A person reliving the memories of their ancestors, and a machine that they use to do so.

There's any number of reasons he waited until now. He could have only just heard about the series, or at least the plot. Not everyone keeps up with video games, even popular ones, it's not a stretch. He clearly doesn't know a whole lot about the legal system as he doesn't have much of a leg to stand on here, I don't blame him for that. Heck I could sympathize with the guy, it does seem like the same idea, but its just too vague for it to be blatant copying.

As it stands I don't feel like he's made the right choices in the situation, he should have looked into it more before deciding to bring up a lawsuit, but I don't take any offense to that. The only way I could dislike him for this is if he's just intentionally capitalizing on the franchise's popularity to get his novel more exposure. It's possible, but I'm not gonna assume the worst in someone I don't know, and neither should anyone else.

Legendz54
04-19-2012, 04:01 AM
Halting the release of AC3... I think im going to be sick....

Jamison_J_B
04-19-2012, 04:30 AM
I know that no one at ubi can confirm or deny if ACIII will be delayed because of this non-sense, but could we get a likelihood ratio? Like many others, I've already pre-ordered and paid in full for my copy. I guess I'm just really concerned.

I would also like to point out that in the states, people will seriously sue others for pretty much little reason, if they think they can get rich. Unfortunately, this is how some people act. This whole thing just has red flags popping up in my mind...doesn't feel right.

First of all, I would like to take the time and apologize on behalf of the American people to the rest of the world for this American's actions. I can assure you that many of us are eager for this game and love the series.

Coming from a u.s. citizen, I second this.

Acrimonious_Nin
04-19-2012, 04:35 AM
Halting the release of AC3... I think im going to be sick....

I mean for crust's sake this is the worst thing that anyone can do . HALTING THE MOST ANTICIPATED GAME!!!! especially to people that want to see how this will end after all this mystery lmao. This guy need to stop. Ubisoft need to bring the smack down on this lawsuit lol. >_> halting I officially hate that word. D: how long do you think this will last?

Ultim4teSurviv4
04-19-2012, 04:39 AM
Now I'm not sure exactly how the US legal system works but with infringement, now correct me if it is different in the US as I study law in AUS. For infringement to occur 3 requirements must be satisfied, that is-
A substantial part of the creation is copied, that doesn't mean a certain amount it just means that if a relatively small portion of important, essential or distinctive material is used it MAY be infringement.

Secondly, 'objective similarity between the original and the copy' and in this case it is not an EXACT copy therefore the question is whether a reasonable person would view the copy as SIMILAR to the original.

And finally to the third requirement in order to have a chance in court and that is 'casual connection between the original and the copy'. So this guy must show that the alleged copy was in fact copied and not created independently, meaning the maker of the copy had access to the original.

Now I don't know how it works over there but there may be a case for him but the compensation he is requesting is purely due to greed and there are also some flaws in his case that ubisoft will no doubt look into. I mean ubi has a team full of expert lawyers, so they will be fine and as for delaying the release I doubt ubi will let it happen as his case isn't that strong considering his ideas aren't exactly original either.
Just my 2 cents, don't all jump to hate on me

Legendz54
04-19-2012, 04:45 AM
Well i guess we will know if AC3 is in any real trouble if they go to E3 and show gameplay or not in 4 weeks.

Acrimonious_Nin
04-19-2012, 04:50 AM
Now I'm not sure exactly how the US legal system works but with infringement, now correct me if it is different in the US as I study law in AUS. For infringement to occur 3 requirements must be satisfied, that is-
A substantial part of the creation is copied, that doesn't mean a certain amount it just means that if a relatively small portion of important, essential or distinctive material is used it MAY be infringement.

Secondly, 'objective similarity between the original and the copy' and in this case it is not an EXACT copy therefore the question is whether a reasonable person would view the copy as SIMILAR to the original.

And finally to the third requirement in order to have a chance in court and that is 'casual connection between the original and the copy'. So this guy must show that the alleged copy was in fact copied and not created independently, meaning the maker of the copy had access to the original.

Now I don't know how it works over there but there may be a case for him but the compensation he is requesting is purely due to greed and there are also some flaws in his case that ubisoft will no doubt look into. I mean ubi has a team full of expert lawyers, so they will be fine and as for delaying the release I doubt ubi will let it happen as his case isn't that strong considering his ideas aren't exactly original either.

AHHH HOW DARE YOU...lmao joking...umm that is an amazing analysis on the situation ;D...your smart <3

Jamison_J_B
04-19-2012, 04:51 AM
And finally to the third requirement in order to have a chance in court and that is 'casual connection between the original and the copy'. So this guy must show that the alleged copy was in fact copied and created independently, meaning the maker of the copy had access to the original.

From what I understand is: If you have suffered from a loss or have been met with harm, whether it be financially, emotionally or physically; that is enough to file a lawsuit in the states. Being that this is very vague, you can see how some people would take advantage.

I have no problem with lawsuits if your IP (digital, physical or any other form) was stolen, reverse engineered, hacked, etc. But I can't see any real grounds for this lawsuit, there are few elements and fairly vague.

Ultim4teSurviv4
04-19-2012, 04:59 AM
AHHH HOW DARE YOU...lmao joking...umm that is an amazing analysis on the situation ;D...your smart <3

haha thanks, I just had a look at the case and decided to put up some facts so everyone could at least get an idea about the case and not attack me for saying the facts lol

Yea I also get annoyed when people try to take advantage of the law just for money

frogger504
04-19-2012, 05:38 AM
Ironic considering Ubisoft.

massmurdera_666
04-19-2012, 10:03 AM
another great example of American society, in that we WILL sue your *** if we think we can make a quick buck. i think this dude is looking for some PR on his book, i wouldn't be surprised if he has been pushing the tv networks to take interest in his case to gain exposure. this guy claims to have patents on a significant number of current tech being used by everyone on the planet, which would make him Edison grandchildren rich. hell, he might be a claim jumper, meaning he searches patents that look profitable enough and then waits until the second after they expire and buys them all up.

but if he gets AC3 delayed/canceled, i'm gonna follow his example and sue his *** for mental and emotional distress/damages.

JCearlyyears
04-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Hahaha. ^ I don't think it's that big of a deal, Ubi will take care of it... if you know what I mean.

POP1Fan
04-19-2012, 11:01 AM
From how I know Ub they will delay only the PC version xD jk

ProletariatPleb
04-19-2012, 12:11 PM
From how i now Ubi they will delay only the PC version xD jk
It's true actually, lol.

Gil_217
04-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Why are you guys so worried about this nonsense?

Do you really believe this guy can win something, or even delay/stop Assassin's Creed III? LOL

With this said, if GTA V comes out in October, I will not complain if Assassin's Creed III gets delayed a little. http://forums.ubi.com/image.php?u=432986&dateline=1334836809

Can't believe I just said that!!

FilipinoNinja67
04-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Wow ubi, just take out the future parts

Jamison_J_B
04-19-2012, 12:31 PM
Wow ubi, just take out the future parts

umm no...

Jamison_J_B
04-19-2012, 12:33 PM

Do you really believe this guy can win something, or even delay/stop Assassin's Creed III? LOL
With this said, if GTA V comes out in October, I will not complain if Assassin's Creed III gets delayed a little. http://i40.tinypic.com/2hhoh36.jpg

I'm worried because some companies will try to appease people like this guy and "compromise". I don't think this guy has a valid ground on the suit, but as I said...

DavisP92
04-19-2012, 12:46 PM

I don't think that's a great excuse, in fact i think if he was a devote christian (one that checks up on the Vatican then he would know about AC). The Vatican was against Assassin's creed 1 when it was released.

Legendz54
04-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Do you have any idea how long court cases can go for? it can take 1-2 years until someone wins a court case, its a whole system. That guys complaint has to go through a cue which could take months until it is read and then he has to book an appointment for 3 months later and if the court decides to proceed the case another time that's also a 4 month wait. Hell even Murderers have been in court for 2 years before they go to prison.. AC3 will release.

DavisP92
04-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Do you have any idea how long court cases can go for? it can take 1-2 years until someone wins a court case, its a whole system. That guys complaint has to go through a cue which could take months until it is read and then he has to book an appointment for 3 months later and if the court decides to proceed the case another time that's also a 4 month wait. Hell even Murderers have been in court for 2 years before they go to prison.. AC3 will release.

actually you're wrong, my father is a lawyer. Usually once you file a suit it goes online immediately. So it is more likely that the person did just file the suit against Ubisoft.

edit: to make it clear, i'm not referring to the length of the court case but rather when the news goes public.

GLHS
04-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Yeah, I have no worries about it being delayed or anything. The case is weaker than hell and no court in their right mind would allow him to win. There is no basis for the accusations, and worse yet, he's claiming that certain words and/or themes that have been used millions upon millions of times in every form of media are his creations. There's no validity to any of it. Especially if it's released to the courts that no devs/writers on the team ever heard of or read the book. Basically, he's basing his entire case on coincidence. Sorry, but coincidence doesn't win you cases in court. Just like somebody else stated earlier, songs that are similar in sound or name don't get sued over. Very rarely. And there are a ton. I could probably look through my ipod right now and see that "such-and-such band has a song named the same as this band does." It's all coincidence. Ubisoft didn't "steal" anything.

EDIT: Since Pdavis's dad is a lawyer, would you mind sharing with us whether this idiot actually has a reputable case or not?

Gil_217
04-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Wow ubi, just take out the future parts If you really meant what you said, I don't really know what to say, for the first time in my life, I'm speechless... Edit: This is coming from a guy who bought this game for the historic part in the first place, being worth to mention that I enjoy the historic part more than the modern part, but c'mon now, the modern part is as exciting and interesting as the historic part right now.

DavisP92
04-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Yeah, I have no worries about it being delayed or anything. The case is weaker than hell and no court in their right mind would allow him to win. There is no basis for the accusations, and worse yet, he's claiming that certain words and/or themes that have been used millions upon millions of times in every form of media are his creations. There's no validity to any of it. Especially if it's released to the courts that no devs/writers on the team ever heard of or read the book. Basically, he's basing his entire case on coincidence. Sorry, but coincidence doesn't win you cases in court. Just like somebody else stated earlier, songs that are similar in sound or name don't get sued over. Very rarely. And there are a ton. I could probably look through my ipod right now and see that "such-and-such band has a song named the same as this band does." It's all coincidence. Ubisoft didn't "steal" anything.

EDIT: Since Pdavis's dad is a lawyer, would you mind sharing with us whether this idiot actually has a reputable case or not?

he just went to the office, but i'll send him a email asking if the guy actually has a case

edit: i'm about to head to class, so can someone post what the guy is suing Ubisoft for exactly. I remember there was something about the good vs evil concept. assassins and what not

GLHS
04-19-2012, 02:30 PM
Well you don't have to do it right this minute, but when you get some time, you can review the case files posted in the thread and talk to him about it. I just thought it would be interesting to hear it from an actual lawyers point of view. But yeah, all that, and also the idea of a machine letting you relive memories of ancestors. And the idea of assassins and certain words like assassin, ancestor, synch, etc.

ProletariatPleb
04-19-2012, 02:44 PM

With this said, if GTA V comes out in October, I will not complain if Assassin's Creed III gets delayed a little. http://forums.ubi.com/image.php?u=432986&dateline=1334836809

Offtopic: Not happening(V part). Max Payne 3 is too big a project to run side-by-side with V.
Ontopic: These allegations seem loosely related at best. Using the terms Link, Assassin, Assassination, Genetic memory is in no way a copyright infringement.

Lord_Roose
04-19-2012, 03:03 PM
If you really meant what you said, I don't really know what to say, for the first time in my life, I'm speechless...

Edit: This is coming from a guy who bought this game for the historic part in the first place, being worth to mention that I enjoy the historic part more than the modern part, but c'mon now, the modern part is as exciting and interesting as the historic part right now.A lot of people strongly dislike the modern story.

Of course, it's totally impractical to remove it at this point, but I sympathize with his point of view.

freddie_1897
04-19-2012, 03:47 PM

Secondly, this man is clearly a moron. He seems to thinks that his copyright includes any words written within his book.

...have a nice day and or night.
don't worry dude, this isn't youtube, we don't judge a country based on one man.

freddie_1897
04-19-2012, 03:49 PM
actually you're wrong, my father is a lawyer. Usually once you file a suit it goes online immediately. So it is more likely that the person did just file the suit against Ubisoft.

edit: to make it clear, i'm not referring to the length of the court case but rather when the news goes public.
BOOM!

he just got told!

Azurefeatherfly
04-19-2012, 04:43 PM
he just went to the office, but i'll send him a email asking if the guy actually has a case

edit: i'm about to head to class, so can someone post what the guy is suing Ubisoft for exactly. I remember there was something about the good vs evil concept. assassins and what not

Here is the Complaint in PDF: http://www.bannerwitcoff.com/_docs/Ubisoft_Complaint.pdf

Pdavis3 is right, the complaint is date as April 16, 2012 and so it was just filed.

FilipinoNinja67
04-19-2012, 04:55 PM
umm no...

If you want the future parts then go and read the book "Link". Personally i think the future setting story has been terrible since Assassin's Creed 2.

Perk89
04-19-2012, 05:08 PM
I was actually willing to hear the guy out until I read "halt the release of Assassin's Creed 3."

Then I was all:

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ldp3jukzHo1qb9a2wo1_500.png

Jamison_J_B
04-19-2012, 05:29 PM
If you want the future parts then go and read the book "Link". Personally i think the future setting story has been terrible since Assassin's Creed 2.

The whole set up for AC has been reliving the lives of ancestors. You can't do that without a modern day character. I have no wish to read the book Link. Your personal opinion is noted, now please note mine. Thank you.

pirate1802
04-19-2012, 05:55 PM
The whole set up for AC has been reliving the lives of ancestors. You can't do that without a modern day character. I have no wish to read the book Link. Your personal opinion is noted, now please note mine. Thank you.

Ditto. I like the historical part more, but the historical AND futuristic part makes the AC we know. That said, I won't mind AC games consisting solely of the historical part.

wapikas
04-19-2012, 06:09 PM
Read this http://www.albatrossrevue.com/2012/04/19/oh-no-plagiarism-or-how-the-scilons-saved-assassins-creed-iii/4163

pirate1802
04-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Read this http://www.albatrossrevue.com/2012/04/19/oh-no-plagiarism-or-how-the-scilons-saved-assassins-creed-iii/4163

LOL that pic xD

DavisP92
04-19-2012, 06:27 PM
I sent my father an email regarding the complaint made, when he will have the time to actually read it (there's 41 pages of info to read all of which have no importance to him, he doesn't care about games lol) but i'm reading it now and have read other articles on Beiswenger's case and i highly doubt that he will win (stopping all AC games from coming out) but i wouldn't doubt Ubisoft giving him some money. I think Ubisoft's lawyers will most likely be able to squash his case pretty easily if most of the people on this forum and all the people writing articles on this situation can. If my dad actually does find the time to look at it and explain his thoughts to me, i'll post them asap.

ProletariatPleb
04-19-2012, 07:45 PM
The fail is strong with this one, his book, read the reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Link-Beiswenger-John-L/product-reviews/0741413485/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_one?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

SixKeys
04-19-2012, 07:51 PM
The fail is strong with this one, his book, read the reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Link-Beiswenger-John-L/product-reviews/0741413485/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_one?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

Notice how all those 1-star reviews were posted on April 18th or 19th, the day we heard about his case against a successful video game franchise? Gee, what a coincidence. I'm sure all those people have actually read his book and all just happened to decide to voice their opinion on this particular date. :rolleyes:

Gil_217
04-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Notice how all those 1-star reviews were posted on April 18th or 19th, the day we heard about his case against a successful video game franchise? Gee, what a coincidence. I'm sure all those people have actually read his book and all just happened to decide to voice their opinion on this particular date. :rolleyes:

Nonetheless, lol at those epic, well-written and completely unbiased "reviews".

Jexx21
04-19-2012, 09:36 PM
I feel like him suing the AC series for using a genetic memory machine that includes going back and meeting 'gods' (this is what the complaints boil down to) is like someone suing Back to the Future for using a time machine and going back and changing the past.

ShaneO7K
04-19-2012, 10:24 PM
It's actually sad to see the amount of 1 stars that have been reviewed for this since this news went public.

egriffin09
04-19-2012, 10:59 PM
interesting link regarding AC 3 and this book author:

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/330726/20120419/assassins-creed-3-release-date-trailer.htm

when was the book published? I think the only way this would stand in a court of law and delay or even worse-cancel AC3 is if the book was published before AC1 was released in 2007. What's this author so mad for anyway? creative thinkers in the media always ripoff each other. Movies ripoff other movies, books ripoff books, music ripsoff other music, and so on...I say he needs to over it, it happens all the time. He probably just mad because no one liked his book and it didn't sell. This is messed up for the AC fans, I hope this doesn't stop AC 3 from being released in October.

Acrimonious_Nin
04-19-2012, 11:14 PM
Is he demanding that the game gets halted or will the law suit slow down production?

freddie_1897
04-19-2012, 11:15 PM
It was published in 2004 I think

IMRicko
04-19-2012, 11:24 PM
Even know sometimes i am annoyed with ubisoft, but i clearly support ubisoft in this lawsuit. To Mr author, it is useless to make a lawsuit about a case regarding your book which was written 9 years ago against a game series which has already launched 4 titles. If you really against it, why didn't you start the lawsuit back in 2007 when the very first AC was launched? I think you just knew about this series last week and planned to get some dirty dollar. If your books don't sell well then face it because your idea might not be as good as ubisoft's. If AC series sell better than your book it means that ubisoft have done a great job improvising your so called "copyright". Charging ubisoft up to $5m? you are really embarassing yourself. Trying to block upcoming ac games from ubisoft in future? You and your family will be haunted by community.

jmk1999
04-19-2012, 11:27 PM
@ EVERYONE:
Please keep your comments clean and relevant. There is no need to react with violent, foul, and/or demeaning commentary. The last thing you want to give someone is more ammo to hit ubi with, saying that its fans are ignorant, inappropriate, etc. etc. and whatever other complaints they can come up with. Just keep your opinions civil and respectable. Don't worry about AC3's release. It would cost them more NOT to release it than it would to simply settle with this guy or whatever (this is just my opinion... take it for what it is). Just chill.

Acrimonious_Nin
04-19-2012, 11:32 PM
^ true

shop63FFC0C7D
04-20-2012, 12:25 AM
Doesn't matter? What is this the best they could do?

Hes suing because of the concept of the Animus, A Machine that accesses memories through DNA. Right. You do know, that there are countless of other books/anime/manga/comic books/movies before 2002, that had the same concept of a machine that accesses DNA?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altered_States

heres one example. Seriously, why would anybody even be concerned about this. And hes only suing for a million anyways. Ubisoft spent 3 million on that Atrocious DRM. I'm sure they have it.

Killuminati.

Acrimonious_Nin
04-20-2012, 12:51 AM
I do not like Tupac.

SixKeys
04-20-2012, 12:52 AM
interesting link regarding AC 3 and this book author:

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/330726/20120419/assassins-creed-3-release-date-trailer.htm

Quote from the article:

"The third game is expected to come out in the holiday 2012 season, but no official release date has been announced."

Wow, way to do your research. Did they somehow miss every single interview, trailer and the official website that cite October 30th as the release date?

DavisP92
04-20-2012, 12:55 AM
so my father looked at the case and said that the guy could have a case if he can prove that it was copied from his book however, it would be pretty hard to do that. Remember though that he hasn't read the book or played any of the games, so i think that's the best he can answer based on the knowledge he knows. I firmly believe that this guy will lose, mainly because every thing he says was copied (and was his idea originally) isn't true. you can't own words like assassins and assassinations mainly because he didn't create them. He can't own the concept of good vs. evil because it was used before him and AC isn't even about good vs evil. it's more about both groups doing what they think is right for the greater good. Both the assassins and templars have the same goal. The biggest thing he can argue is the animus, and even then genetic memory wasn't created by him. So honestly he has no case, he just sees a game that (to him) looks similar to his book and he thinks he was ripped of and probably didn't make as much money as he wanted from his books. So Ubisoft should be squashing his claim sooner or later, i mean if we all can then they can too lol

Edit: also seeing how he thinks that he created the concept of genetic memory (or a device that unlocks it) he hasn't done enough research on it then. It was coined in the 19th century, if my info is correct then it was in 1881. So he has no case at all, in fact it is quite sad that he thought he really had a case. but i hope Ubisoft doesn't just take the safe way and pay him thinking they can't win. This is pretty much a clear case win for Ubisoft (or at least it appears that way to me)

jmk1999
04-20-2012, 01:35 AM
Edit: also seeing how he thinks that he created the concept of genetic memory (or a device that unlocks it) he hasn't done enough research on it then. It was coined in the 19th century, if my info is correct then it was in 1881. So he has no case at all, in fact it is quite sad that he thought he really had a case. but i hope Ubisoft doesn't just take the safe way and pay him thinking they can't win. This is pretty much a clear case win for Ubisoft (or at least it appears that way to me)
actually, that's not always the reason for settlements. sometimes settlements are done for the sake of avoiding court costs, lawyer fees, lost time spent dealing with judicial BS (i.e. "time = money"), etc. if ubi opted for a settlement, it doesn't necessarily mean they think they'd lose. it might mean that the cost of the settlement would be less than the effort spent fighting for the claim to originality. civil suits aren't always so cut and dry.

Timeaus
04-20-2012, 01:51 AM
actually, that's not always the reason for settlements. sometimes settlements are done for the sake of avoiding court costs, lawyer fees, lost time spent dealing with judicial BS (i.e. "time = money"), etc. if ubi opted for a settlement, it doesn't necessarily mean they think they'd lose. it might mean that the cost of the settlement would be less than the effort spent fighting for the claim to originality. civil suits aren't always so cut and dry.

I agreed, I think Ubisoft just want to get this over with as soon as possible, they can afford a little money lost. They are very busy with all the major releases this year Ghost Recon, Far Cry 3, and of course AC III. So a settlement seem likely, but if the guy doesn't want to settle out of court then they have no choice but to go through with all court stuff. I just hope that it doesn't affect AC III release.

randomboss
04-20-2012, 02:00 AM
The Link is no longer a hand-gripped device.” Allen picked up an assembly from the small table behind the revised dentist chair now used during the Link experiments. The video monitor was now on gimbals, hanging from the ceiling so that it could be comfortably positioned in front of the test subject and yet viewed easily by those monitoring the test. “We place this device around Anna’s biceps, just above the joint. As you can see, it looks very much like a blood-pressure cuff, except that facing the meaty part of her arm is this one-inch diameter, donut-shaped ring,” Allen continued. “In the ring we have incorporated all of the sensors we had in the hand-gripped Link.” Allen picked up a bundled cable, with an overall diameter of about three-fourths of an inch, including a high- pressure hose, two twisted pairs of wires and a thin, white, coaxial cable. “At the center of the ring,” he said, “we attach this special terminator, which is a gold-plated high pressure nozzle. The metal nozzle is held by the cuff tightly against the arm, making a good electrical and hydraulic connection.” “Attached to Anna’s other arm, at the wrist, is still a standard grounding strap. The ten-volt pulse is applied between the grounding strap and the nozzle. Power to the Link circuit is supplied by one twisted pair, and the data received from Anna’s particle is carried by the coax to the recording equipment over there,” he finished, pointing to an impressive array at a test station against the wall directly behind the chair, adjacent to the door.

Sounds a little like the animus but more like a prequel

DavisP92
04-20-2012, 02:20 AM

that is very true, but will the author settle for a million, or will Ubisoft give him 6 (the initial 1 and the extra 5) million. also we can't really say how much it would cost for the court and i was assuming Ubisoft already has a laywer or two working for them. So it all would come down to, will 6 (if he doesn't settle for only a million) million dollars cost less or more then the court case itself.

ProletariatPleb
04-20-2012, 05:14 AM
It wasn't supposed to be serious Six :P

pirate1802
04-20-2012, 05:46 AM
Quote from the article:

"The third game is expected to come out in the holiday 2012 season, but no official release date has been announced."

Wow, way to do your research. Did they somehow miss every single interview, trailer and the official website that cite October 30th as the release date?

The third game??? ZOMG

catkiller97
04-20-2012, 07:50 AM
Legal Document about Ubisoft sues - Author Sues Ubisoft, Claims Assassin’s Creed Plagiarized His Novel (http://www.gamingbus.com/2012/04/19/author-sues-ubisoft-claiming-assassins-creed-plagiarized/)

Moultonborough
04-20-2012, 08:59 AM
In a few places he say's things that are wrong about the series. Because of that the "Assassin's Creed" series is orginal and therefore Ubisoft will win. This guy saw what just happened with the Bethsada VS. Mojang lawsuit and decided to jump on the bandwagon. Though I would love to see Nintendo to go after this guy just to make a point.

EDIT: And the whole "Good Vs. Evil" thing is just plain stupid. With that he could try to take on all Game Developers and lose sense every company has used that as a plot point. Idiot.

True_Assassin92
04-20-2012, 10:51 AM
This is ridiculous. He demands over $ 6,000,000 for copyright infringement and demands that any further infringement will be prevented, which means AC 3 not being released...

We do not know if ubisoft used his ideas, but to demand nothing more to be released will only get back to Beiswenger. I can't imagine all the angry fans, he'll get lynched LOL.

GLHS
04-20-2012, 12:38 PM
I still find this ridiculous. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he sued anybody involved with Back To The Future, Inception, or even say....The Bible. That has to do with Good Vs. Evil doesn't it? Lol I just don't see it. The guy may have written this book before AC, but they didn't steal anything. Now I'll just sit back and wait for it to be released that the judge laughed in his face when he hears what he's suing for.

UrDeviant1
04-20-2012, 12:55 PM
I'd put It down to coincidence that AC shares any similarities to this book.

In the unlikely event he wins the case, and AC Is shut down, I'll be on the first flight to Pennsylvania to burn his house down :)

GLHS
04-20-2012, 12:58 PM
I'd put It down to coincidence that AC shares any similarities to this book.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I said. Especially if none of them have read (or better yet) heard of the book, legally that's all it can be anyway. There's no possible way to have evidence of something that one side has no knowledge of.

pirate1802
04-20-2012, 02:15 PM
This is ridiculous. He demands over $ 6,000,000 for copyright infringement and demands that any further infringement will be prevented, which means AC 3 not being released...

We do not know if ubisoft used his ideas, but to demand nothing more to be released will only get back to Beiswenger. I can't imagine all the angry fans, he'll get lynched LOL.

He is angry because his book isn't as well known as the games, hes just ****hurt. I bet he is those old-schoolers who think videogames consist of mario bros and duckhunt. Thats why its all the more difficult for him to digest it.

Legendz54
04-20-2012, 02:15 PM
"in the court of law, coincidences don’t get convictions, and when some of your listed coincidences are “I used a lot of Biblical imagery and so did they,” you’re not going to get very far."

Abeonis
04-20-2012, 02:46 PM
"in the court of law, coincidences don’t get convictions, and when some of your listed coincidences are “I used a lot of Biblical imagery and so did they,” you’re not going to get very far."

Can't wait for the day the Catholic and Protestand Churches call in their copyright....

freddie_1897
04-20-2012, 03:38 PM
guys, he won't win the case, but he's already won in a sense, he's attracted a lot more publicity for his book, it's selling more and he's making money out of it. so in a way, he did win, things are going better for him than they were

freddie_1897
04-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Can't wait for the day the Catholic and Protestand Churches call in their copyright....
lol, 'no, you can't use the term 'jesus christ' any more, that's ours now'
'fine, you can't use the term pope anymore'
'what? but you don't even have a pope, your protestant!'
'haha, who's laughing now?'
'we are, we just copyrighted religion'

pirate1802
04-20-2012, 06:36 PM
'what? But you don't even have a pope, your protestant!'

lmfao

zerocooll21
04-20-2012, 06:37 PM
'what? But you don't even have a pope, your protestant!'

aaaahhaahahahahahahahaha

freddie_1897
04-20-2012, 06:51 PM
**** black widow's had to lock loads of threads. one of those was mine, so i'll post what my thread said here...

Now, this authors whole case is practically based on the statement 'AC1 released in 2007, my book released 2003 so you copied my idea! thats nice, and he might actually have a case, but i read somewhere that the original AC script was developed around 2002, so correct me if I'm wrong, but he can't win

Acrimonious_Nin
04-20-2012, 07:04 PM
you know what would suck...if that guy came on to the forums and read everything you people say about the game, so that it gives him more of a reason to give ubisoft a hard time. -___- I doubt he will actually play the game and see what is ''stolen'', but a forum is easier to read through O.o just saying lol

freddie_1897
04-20-2012, 07:09 PM
you know what would suck...if that guy came on to the forums and read everything you people say about the game, so that it gives him more of a reason to give ubisoft a hard time. -___- I doubt he will actually play the game and see what is ''stolen'', but a forum is easier to read through O.o just saying lol
i agree, a lot of people are just being arses to him, I'm sure he has his reasons to sue, and we shouldn't judge him until after the trial, and even then we shouldn't judge him too harshly

pirate1802
04-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Well lets just say he loses the lawsuit against ubisoft but the publicity enables quick sell of his book. Win-win situation for everyone and we get our AC3.

SquarePolo27
04-20-2012, 07:53 PM
If this guy believes he has a case, then let him. The court will deal with it in (hopefully) the correct way.

Acrimonious_Nin
04-20-2012, 10:57 PM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116875-Assassins-Creed-Lawsuit-Author-Gets-Amazon-Bombed

has this been posted before lol it looks like people are catching on to this strange trend that has been going on.

OriginalMiles
04-20-2012, 11:30 PM
I honestly don't care about this lawsuit, I picked up his book at the library, it's a bunch of crap, I don't think it's anywhere near similar to AC except the memories and assassin's, even then it's nowhere near the same, so don't be worried if you are, I don't see a reason for a lawsuit.

Acrimonious_Nin
04-20-2012, 11:50 PM
Its not the lawsuit....its the HALTING OF AC3 RELEASE :O OMG!!! lol ....Halting release dates???? Crazy talk...

morpheusPrime08
04-21-2012, 12:23 AM
If this guy believes he has a case, then let him. The court will deal with it in (hopefully) the correct way.

Assuming this guy is American, it wont end the "correct way" that we hope it will.

playassassins1
04-21-2012, 12:28 AM
Its not the lawsuit....its the HALTING OF AC3 RELEASE :O OMG!!! lol ....Halting release dates???? Crazy talk...

I don't really care about the release date, I'm worried about the game not being released at all!.....

GeneralTrumbo
04-21-2012, 12:51 AM
I don't really care about the release date, I'm worried about the game not being released at all!.....
But I thought it was cool that it was going to be the same time in the game and in real-life. =( Now this idiot is going to ruin that!

dxsxhxcx
04-21-2012, 01:30 AM

I doubt this will happen, but even if it does, I believe this will only apply to the USA...

ProletariatPleb
04-21-2012, 01:34 AM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116875-Assassins-Creed-Lawsuit-Author-Gets-Amazon-Bombed

has this been posted before lol it looks like people are catching on to this strange trend that has been going on.
Yeah, I posted a link to the original reviews page, lol

here it is again:

catkiller97
04-21-2012, 09:15 AM
Assassin's Creed Lawsuit Author Gets Amazon-Bombed (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116875-Assassins-Creed-Lawsuit-Author-Gets-Amazon-Bombed)

^^
At last look, Link had 63 ratings on Amazon, all but one of which were posted within the last two days. [The first and only "real" review, a five-star rating, was posted in July 2007.] Its average rating currently sits at 1.5 stars.

pirate1802
04-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Assassin's Creed Lawsuit Author Gets Amazon-Bombed (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116875-Assassins-Creed-Lawsuit-Author-Gets-Amazon-Bombed)

^^

lol

Legendz54
04-21-2012, 12:52 PM
http://www.deviantart.com/download/205643305/ac2__ezio__s_dad__s_angry_by_rozboz-d3efne1.jpg We will have your life John beiswieger!!
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1285376408/JLB.jpg

GLHS
04-21-2012, 01:00 PM
http://www.deviantart.com/download/205643305/ac2__ezio__s_dad__s_angry_by_rozboz-d3efne1.jpg We will have your life John beiswieger!!
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1285376408/JLB.jpg

"I SWEAR IT!" Lol awesome.

guys, he won't win the case, but he's already won in a sense, he's attracted a lot more publicity for his book, it's selling more and he's making money out of it. so in a way, he did win, things are going better for him than they were

^This. Honestly, if he didn't get money, I think the attention that he's getting is exactly what he wanted. he just wanted a way to sell his stupid book, even if it is 10 years later. He's one of those people that believes that "Any publicity is good publicity." Even if it's negative. His book is selling and getting attention. People need to stop, b/c all they're doing is adding fuel to his fire. Either way, we already let him win. I for one, have no desire to pick up his book, and never will. Not even the least bit curious to see what what he's complaining about.

freddie_1897
04-21-2012, 03:47 PM
i agree he won't win the trial, but could everyone here at least remain civil? a lot of you are using disgusting language and are insulting this man in a manner i thought better of you. just stop

egriffin09
04-21-2012, 03:49 PM
4 page article that gives some insight on the case against ubisoft. Clears up alot of confusion from a law standpoint about the case against ubisoft. It's really long, but worth the time to read.

http://www.gamingupdate.com/news/4171/Writer-s-Lawsuit-Threat-to-Delay-Assassin-s-Creed-III

infamous_ezio
04-21-2012, 04:51 PM
How long do lawsuits last ?

It really depends on how things go and soon they can get into court, my mate got ran over and it took roughly 15 months to get into court, the michael jackson case took just under 2 years i'm pretty sure. Things like this take time, and as i said it depends on how things go, meaning collection of evidence, if they have enough proofe to challenge ubisoft they will, so many factors no one can tell.

jacob5imp5on79
04-21-2012, 05:05 PM
i looked his book up and read some reviews and from reading this review Beisswenger violated a copyright himself read this review and you will see

Published in 1981, the short story "They Died Twice" by Alan Hathaway included, among other things, a machine developed for the express purpose of delving into ancestral memories. "Link" is a clear rip-off of this now 31 year old classic tale. While this reviewer would nominally ignore such things as there is no such thing as a new idea, the author's insistence of suing a company for essentially the same thing he did in 2003 deserves a low rating.

ShaneO7K
04-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Well both a little more publicity for AC3 and the guys book, and a lot guys on here are acting really childish about this.

SleezeRocker
04-21-2012, 05:33 PM
i looked his book up and read some reviews and from reading this review Beisswenger violated a copyright himself read this review and you will see

Published in 1981, the short story "They Died Twice" by Alan Hathaway included, among other things, a machine developed for the express purpose of delving into ancestral memories. "Link" is a clear rip-off of this now 31 year old classic tale. While this reviewer would nominally ignore such things as there is no such thing as a new idea, the author's insistence of suing a company for essentially the same thing he did in 2003 deserves a low rating.

this is the only thing I can remotely find of that book (or comic?) you're talking about: they died Twice/Screaming (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/904082.They_Died_Twice_The_Screaming_Man)Man

"Doc is lured into a strange memory machine and learns that his father had committed a crime. To right that wrong, Doc must divulge his best-kept secret — but it lands Doc and his crew in a lost valley as captives of an ancient tribe of savages … and the sacrificial rites have begun!"

jmk1999
04-21-2012, 05:37 PM
I've warned everyone ONCE already... this is not an issue to be ignored, disputed, or otherwise... please remain civil and discuss the topic without inflammatory commentary, inappropriate language, etc. what do i come back to? death threats?! joking or not, this is unacceptable. also, provoking and partaking in spamming a reviews site (or any other similar act of vandalism and/or sabotage) is not tolerated. i will issue one more warning... if i see this junk in the thread again, it WILL be locked and all those who have ignored my warning will face temporary suspension. this is your final warning.

NinjaSpartanII
04-22-2012, 01:03 AM
That guy is probably a templar. oh wait, will mani60cent12 put A lawsuit against me for agreeing with him? SHOCK

EDIT: wait i just read the mods post. sorry, i didn't see it intil i posted

Serrachio
04-22-2012, 03:23 AM
That guy is probably a templar. oh wait, will mani60cent12 put A lawsuit against me for agreeing with him? SHOCK

EDIT: wait i just read the mods post. sorry, i didn't see it intil i posted

You could have easily deleted your post.

GreaseGurilla
04-22-2012, 03:32 AM
hello, isn't assian creed a Ubisoft game? DUH!

ShadowRage41
04-22-2012, 04:44 AM
Assuming this guy is American, it wont end the "correct way" that we hope it will.
This sort of thing is not uncommon. they would have to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. I mean Activision and Blizzard have legal issues over virtual world copy right infringement. It has not brought Wolrld of Warcraft to a screeching halt, Anymore than the legal issues of Activisions Call of Duty brought it to a halt.... litigation can take a very long time. and I seriously doubt a judge would allow an injunction and a freeze until all of it is settled in court. Chances are it never goes to court. if they guy has a case they settle out of court. if there is not enough evidence. then it get's tossed out. Either way in all probability it does not impact the release of the game. if there is evidence the smart money is on everything being settled after the release possibly several years down the road. The media has a way of causing people to hit the panic ****on. In the Unites States you are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

I mean several years ago When Satriani filed against Cold play that was dismissed. And honestly the time signatures were the same as well as the root note progressions ect. filing a lawsuit did not knock the Cold Play tune off the radio nor did the courts request the song or the album be removed from the shelves. AC III will be released. this will end up being a foot note..

morpheusPrime08
04-22-2012, 05:26 AM
This sort of thing is not uncommon. they would have to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. I mean Activision and Blizzard have legal issues over virtual world copy right infringement. It has not brought Wolrld of Warcraft to a screeching halt, Anymore than the legal issues of Activisions Call of Duty brought it to a halt.... litigation can take a very long time. and I seriously doubt a judge would allow an injunction and a freeze until all of it is settled in court. Chances are it never goes to court. if they guy has a case they settle out of court. if there is not enough evidence. then it get's tossed out. Either way in all probability it does not impact the release of the game. if there is evidence the smart money is on everything being settled after the release possibly several years down the road. The media has a way of causing people to hit the panic ****on. In the Unites States you are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

I mean several years ago When Satriani filed against Cold play that was dismissed. And honestly the time signatures were the same as well as the root note progressions ect. filing a lawsuit did not knock the Cold Play tune off the radio nor did the courts request the song or the album be removed from the shelves. AC III will be released. this will end up being a foot note..

I know you are innocent until proven guilty, im just saying that recently the faith in the justice system in America has gone down cough *Casey anthony cough*, but seeing how this isnt a massive media case in front of a grand jury and from what you've told me, we have nothing to worry about plus with this article I can take a big whoosah:eek:........:D
http://www.gamingupdate.com/news/4171/Writer-s-Lawsuit-Threat-to-Delay-Assassin-s-Creed-III

Didnt know these kinds of cases happend alot in games, usually just movies but seeing how video games are now the leading choice in entertainment it makes sense, thanks for the heads up.

morpheusPrime08
04-22-2012, 05:34 AM

This is just someones opinion kid, its not official...yet.

Legendz54
04-22-2012, 06:47 AM
I read that John didn't know about AC series but SOMEONE told him about the similarities to his book...Only if that someone kept his/her mouth shut.

PhonedZero
04-22-2012, 07:18 AM
Nintendo needs to sue this guy for stealing their characters name for the title of his book.

Krayus Korianis
04-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Nintendo needs to sue this guy for stealing their characters name for the title of his book.

They do, and if you look at the patents... It's really hilarious.

From the guy's webpage... Lol, it's really funny.
Obviously the guy is just a lawyer looking for some easy money. I've never HEARD of this book, I've also never SEEN this book ANYWHERE.

If the suits at Ubisoft are smart, they'll know how to work this guy over. Since a different country can have different laws concerning copyrights.

Also next, this guy will most likely say that the VR Training in Brotherhood was a result of his book's "VR - Outside Action Exerciser"... lol. God this guy is cracking me up trying to get some money THIS late in the game (pun intended).

EDIT:

I just looked at Amazon... Book's there with an original review from 2007 (Isn't that the year that AC came out? lol), because the rest were in 2012 from this month. Stole the idea from Alan Hathaway, now trying to say that Ubisoft stole his idea from his CRAP book, which honestly should make your head spin due to the grammatical errors in the sentence structure... I know my eyes were twitching.

God, such a sad time in the history of the US... Once we were proud, now it's just everyone is a greedy little narcissistic, masochist who thinks they're owed something.

NewBlade200
04-22-2012, 10:01 PM
It's not like he can do anything. Ubi has the money to beat him in any court he wants.

ShadowRage41
04-22-2012, 10:42 PM
It's not like he can do anything. Ubi has the money to beat him in any court he wants.
Reasonable doubt. The burden of proof is always on the prosecutor. Speculation and hearsay is not admissible as evidence. I doubt very seriously the guy will win this case, but he will generate some publicity for his books. I would be very surprised if it even goes to court. In the United States this is a touchy issue. because once a court decides something, it also determines the fate of future decisions. the plantiff better have empirical proof. unless it's blatant this sort of case is hard to prove. you factor in Freedom of speech. and what is and is not copyright infringement and you have a very delicate line you are walking. Unless it's blatant it get's tossed out. I am sure a judge will review the evidence and unless it's pretty evident they will not waste the taxpayers money by trying this in court. This happens more often than you may believe. I think it's a dead story. The guy will drum up some publicity for his books, but this is simply grand standing.

lockerxzx
04-23-2012, 03:54 AM
If that guy came up with idea of time machine, would he sue every movies and games that involve time travel?

lilshawty741
04-23-2012, 04:32 AM
If that guy came up with idea of time machine, would he sue every movies and games that involve time travel?
More like they would sue him. I asked my dad about it since he is a lawyer and he said that unless he copyrighted the ideas in the book he has no case. Like shadowrage41 said he's probably just after publicity, otherwise he would've tried to do this 3 or 4 years ago.

DavisP92
04-23-2012, 04:41 AM
haha we have two forum members that have fathers that are lawyers :P

victoria_wolf
04-23-2012, 08:52 AM
If he wins and stops the release of AC3 then he hates America.

freddie_1897
04-23-2012, 03:44 PM
why america?

its made by Ubisoft montreal, montreal is in Canada, Ubisoft is a french company and it's not just america who plays AC you know?

he's just a guy who thinks AC stole his idea, thats his reason behind suing, not because he hates anyone, people here have sent him emails and he's responded in a very polite way, he has his reasons for suing, and you don't have the right to judge anyone for that.

****, i really hate people like you who judge people like that.

jmk1999
04-23-2012, 05:23 PM
certainly setting a great example for new members... anyway, while i agree with what you said, i certainly think it could have been said better. i've warned you about this kinda stuff before. you should know by now. let's avoid it in the future, please.

Acrimonious_Nin
04-23-2012, 05:57 PM
victoria_wolf

so.. If he loses and does not stop the release of AC3, then he loves America ?

is that what your trying to say lol :D I love logic games.

--(OP)If he wins and stops the release of AC3 then he hates America.
what about if.....

--If he wins and does not stop the release of AC3 then he mildly likes America ?

muahahah sorry :p

mojsarn
04-23-2012, 06:17 PM
This was the stupidest thing i've ever read, sure I can see why he sued Ubisoft but Gametrailers? Why don't he sue IGN or any other game site for that matter?

Gr8Gadsby
04-23-2012, 07:15 PM
There's always going to be somebody somewhere looking to capitalize on the gains of a book, movie, game, etc that has performed well....if they THINK they might be able to show they were the true originators of the content. I worked on a film this happened to well after release...it was hysterical really. The reality is no idea is 110% unique. Just look at Avatar, or should I call it Pocahontas meets Fern Gully meets Dances With Wolves? ;) James Cameron didn't get sued though, well cause who would really be stupid enough to sue the KING OF THE WORLD? :p I'm sure this will boil over and be a non topic. Release will come in October as planned and Ubisoft will have a party when it rakes in all our monies. :D

morpheusPrime08
04-23-2012, 08:24 PM
why america?

its made by Ubisoft montreal, montreal is in Canada, Ubisoft is a french company and it's not just america who plays AC you know?

he's just a guy who thinks AC stole his idea, thats his reason behind suing, not because he hates anyone, people here have sent him emails and he's responded in a very polite way, he has his reasons for suing, and you don't have the right to judge anyone for that.

You sure do say some rather controversial things, like how apparently showing your excitement at game convention is an American thing, plus the mods are on to you O_o. Anyway I dont think its as simple as hes suing Ubi for stealing his idea, theres something much, much more to it.

freddie_1897
04-23-2012, 08:25 PM
There's always going to be somebody somewhere looking to capitalize on the gains of a book, movie, game, etc that has performed well....if they THINK they might be able to show they were the true originators of the content. I worked on a film this happened to well after release...it was hysterical really. The reality is no idea is 110% unique. Just look at Avatar, or should I call it Pocahontas meets Fern Gully meets Dances With Wolves? ;) James Cameron didn't get sued though, well cause who would really be stupid enough to sue the KING OF THE WORLD? :p I'm sure this will boil over and be a non topic. Release will come in October as planned and Ubisoft will have a party when it rakes in all our monies. :D
Your name is also the title of a very good book, I hope this is no coincidence?

freddie_1897
04-23-2012, 08:38 PM
You sure do say some rather controversial things, like how apparently showing your excitement at game convention is an American thing, plus the mods are on to you O_o. Anyway I dont think its as simple as hes suing Ubi for stealing his idea, theres something much, much more to it.
I do say controversial things, I don't mean them to be controversial, my wording is just patcularly bad. I didn't say that it was only Americans who show excitement at game conventions, and I didn't say it was a bad thing, I was just saying that it's quite weird for me in one country seeing another that acts so differently, again, not a bad thing.

I have a lot of personal beliefs, I don't like to judge people straight away in a negative light, I believe in giving second chances, I am also strongly against nationalism, now tell me, is that a bad thing? Is it bad to believe that no man should insult another mans country? I have no problem with patriotism, patriotism is noble, patriotism is putting the love of your own country first, that's fine, who doesn't love their country? But nationalism is disgusting, putting your hate of all other countries first? No, no man should hate another mans country, you don't have that right

berserker134
04-23-2012, 10:59 PM
at least they are still working on ac3 they said it in twiter

morpheusPrime08
04-23-2012, 10:59 PM
I do say controversial things, I don't mean them to be controversial, my wording is just patcularly bad. I didn't say that it was only Americans who show excitement at game conventions, and I didn't say it was a bad thing, I was just saying that it's quite weird for me in one country seeing another that acts so differently, again, not a bad thing.

I have a lot of personal beliefs, I don't like to judge people straight away in a negative light, I believe in giving second chances, I am also strongly against nationalism, now tell me, is that a bad thing? Is it bad to believe that no man should insult another mans country? I have no problem with patriotism, patriotism is noble, patriotism is putting the love of your own country first, that's fine, who doesn't love their country? But nationalism is disgusting, putting your hate of all other countries first? No, no man should hate another mans country, you don't have that right

I completely understand stand you, I guess its just the way you word things but I got this sense that you think all the American forum posters here are super Patrotic. I havent seen anyone here with an Nationalist attitude, like the last poster you replied to was probably some kid who just created an account today, stating that he thinks if the guy wins then he hates America and you jumped to attack the guy, taking it way way too serious. That plus what you said about Americans getting excited seems like you have this thing against the U.S., it may not be true but it just seems that way.

I just want you to understand that not every American is what you assume they are, we live in a country where you cn be walking down the street with a bag of skittles and a random neibor hood watch can gun you down just because you fit a stereotype. Its pretty obvious that most people from other countries no alot more about us then we do about them, and its not our fault, were just products of our own environment.

jmk1999
04-23-2012, 11:39 PM
ok, enough about patriotism and nationalism, guys... wrong topic, wrong forum. that subject gets a little touchy around here... it's like borderline religious and political discussions. take it to a PM if you wish to discuss further. we've been down that path before.

jmk1999
04-24-2012, 12:06 AM
@ xslayer59 (http://forums.ubi.com/member.php/1276093-xslayer59):
since you're new here, i'll give you a warning... post like that again and you'll face suspension. hateful content, foul language, rude commentary... all are unacceptable on this forum and are subject to permanent banishment. don't do it again.

Samurai8281
04-24-2012, 02:51 AM
I just read an article this guy aint mad because of similarty no hes mad because of story change.

starpooled
04-24-2012, 03:37 AM
I am new here, so this question might have already been posted elsewhere. Is there anywhere to find any information on the lawsuit progress and possible court date? As a huge AC fan, I am slightly concerned and would like to keep track of how this whole lawsuit plays out. Thank You.

OriginalMiles
04-24-2012, 08:06 PM
200th.
OK back on topic, I want to see the lawsuit dealt with fairly, so if it is found out that Ubi stole the idea, they at least pay a small fine, and if not, this whole thing dropped.

morpheusPrime08
04-24-2012, 08:23 PM
200th.
OK back on topic, I want to see the lawsuit dealt with fairly, so if it is found out that Ubi stole the idea, they at least pay a small fine, and if not, this whole thing dropped.

I dont think its as simple as finding out if Ubisoft stole an idea, but more on if his idea was original, copyrighted, and patent. I think in Ubis defense they'll say exactly what everyone on the forums been saying, the ideo of going back in time in a machine has been used before and in other mediams, just becaue AC has some reference to god and christ doesnt mean its from this guys book. Plus I doubt one of the writers read his book at all, look at all these swords and sworcery games, they arnt very original.

SwiftAura2011
04-24-2012, 11:32 PM
That would be crazy. Copyright is an important tool that has encouraged the creation of many wonderful works since the creators can profit from their creation and control how it is used. It's what protects the Assassin's Creed brand from having tons of direct ripoffs that other people could sell themselves. If you're not going to own the work you create and have the ability to make money from it and control it, what is your motivation for creating it? An individual could come up with a great idea that a large company with more resources could just copy and produce themselves without having to compensate the person with the original idea. The copyright system certainly needs some serious reformation, but the concept of copyright itself should never go away. This particular case involves the way the legal system works and how easy it is to file so many of these lawsuits, which is the bigger problem here.

People also write crappy songs all the time and then sue famous musical artists for copyright infringement of some demo they made and sent to the artist's record label, even though the artist never heard it themselves. That's the reason why companies will almost never accept any kind of ideas like demo tapes or other creative concepts. If they never open unsolicited idea material, then the people who created those concepts can't claim that the company ever saw their work. I've seen UbiGabe mention that there are things like game concepts they can't accept, and I know it's due to protecting themselves from copyright trolls.

Unfortunately, it's often cheaper for a company being sued to simply settle out of court and pay off these trolls than it is to pay lawyers to fight the lawsuit in court. That's absolutely crazy, but often true.

EDIT: And I seriously doubt this would ever affect the release of AC3. The person bringing the suit would have to ask for an injunction to stop the sale of Assassin's Creed products in the United States (if that's where the suit is being brought), and a judge would have to approve that. I doubt the plaintiff is asking for that, since the release of AC3 would only increase the "damages" done against him and allow him to ask for even more money.

Actually, he HAS asked for an injunction against the release of AC3. Read more here: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/344208/ubisoft-sued-over-alleged-assassins-creed-copyright-infringement/ (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/344208/ubisoft-sued-over-alleged-assassins-creed-copyright-infringement/)

UrDeviant1
04-24-2012, 11:38 PM
Ugh, I never knew he wanted to halt the release of AC3. What an ***.

SwiftAura2011
04-25-2012, 12:19 AM
I find the entire lawsuit to be unbelievable considering that I know of two very different authors writing on very different topics, using very different styles to have already written about the idea regarding using dna for memory/ancestral recall. The first time I read about this ancestral recall was in a book written by Sylvia Brown on what she termed 'cell memory.' Being that your 'cells' contain memories of past lives and by making use of hypnosis it would be possible to heal your ancestral memories through healing the cell memory so that it could no longer interfere with your present life. Eg. Like having persistent pain in your arm and finding out that you were stabbed in the arm in a past life.

In the book description of "Link" it says that "it is the soul, not the brain which is designed to remember." Which is really a lot like deja vu to me since I am currently reading another book by Robert Moss who talks about the exact same concept in a book he wrote regarding the use of dreams in order to speak to individuals who have died. I can't remember the exact quote, but it goes something like this: "consciousness is not located in the [physical] brain, but rather inhabits the realm of the spirit or spiritual body.' Aside from the words soul and spirit, the concept is almost identical.

I imagine many other authors/writers and even non-fiction science articles have already exhausted the plausibility/possibility of accessing memories by using dna or some other physical aspect of an individual that makes that individual unique. Scientific concepts and ideas and the ownership of these ideas, I think would be hard to prove considering that many scientific and science fiction authors/researchers often share information and ideas in order to advance the science in question. But who owns those ideas or information is anyone's guess. It's like asking what came first, the chicken or the egg?

ShadowRage41
04-25-2012, 01:29 AM
Actually, he HAS asked for an injunction against the release of AC3. Read more here: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/344208/ubisoft-sued-over-alleged-assassins-creed-copyright-infringement/ (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/344208/ubisoft-sued-over-alleged-assassins-creed-copyright-infringement/)

I doubt the courts will grant an injunction. for reference look at the past cases of this type of thing as well as Activision/Blizzards legal issues for infringing on a patent related to virtual worlds. or the past issues with COD. It did not slow down WOW at all. nor did it stop a COD release.. The courts try to remain consistent in their rulings. There would have to be some hard evidence. not a few similarities. So I doubt very seriously a court will grant an injunction. and I doubt Ubisoft stole the guy's story.. or based AC on it. this sort of thing is like trying to copyright musical notes and expression. where does it end? for reference see the Satriani Coldplay case. And honestly the progressions were the same as well as the time signatures. Yet the Judge threw it out of court. Like I have said this sort of thing is very hard to prove. and would require more evidence than I have seen presented. In the end I am willing to bet this ends as nothing but a side note and AC III is released without a hitch.

AnthonyA85
04-25-2012, 01:42 AM
Given that October is only 6 months away, I would be surprised if AC3 doesn't get released before this goes to court (if it does) but then, i'm not too savvy on the speed of legal proceedings for things like this, but i know it can be slow, especially when that have to dig up and analyse potential evidence. I mean, if it took him 5 years to get to just the sueing stage, then i don't see it going to court before october 30th/31st

BeCk41
04-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Governments, CIA, Free Masons and Templars are trying to stop the game from coming out :0
I swear if this guy stops AC3 from coming out I'm going to kill myself...

No, no no no er... no. Take it out on the guy suing not yourself... and he's obviously in it for the 5.25 million which he won't get. And if he makes a official lawsuit about this that postpones the game, then we'll have some very mad assassins to deal with http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/angry/grumpy.gif

freddie_1897
04-25-2012, 03:59 PM
guys, he can't win, i heard somewhere that the first draft of the AC story was written in 2002, 1 year before the book link was published.

MasterSimaYi
04-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Did anyone read Beiswenger's official complaint? (http://www.bannerwitcoff.com/_docs/Ubisoft_Complaint.pdf) Aside from the complaint almost solely consisting of a few several points getting repeated over and over again in regards to all AC media, some of his points are just absurd.

"31. In Link, there are spiritual and biblical tones, with references made to
Jesus and God, the Garden of Eden, and forbidden fruit.
32. In the Assassin’s Creed video game series and books, there are
spiritual and biblical tones, with references made to various Gods, Adam and Eve,
and relics called Pieces of Eden."

So, he is basically claiming copyright on any work of fiction containing spiritual and biblical tones and references?

"33. In Link, characters experience notable and accurate historical
34. In the Assassin’s Creed video game series, characters experience
various historically accurate times in history through their ancestor’s memories;
this is a major plotline of the Assassin’s Creed video games and books."

Does he have copyright on this too?

"35. A recurring theme in Link is the battle between good and evil; in
Link, Med Diagnostics plans to steal and use the Link technology to its benefit;
36. A recurring theme in the Assassin’s Creed video games and books is a
battle between good and evil; in the Assassin’s Creed video game series, Abstergo
other assassins."

Only his Link novel series has the right to focusing on a battle between good and evil? For how long has that been a theme, centuries? Oh, Beiswenger, you better start paying millions of dollars to nearly every work of fiction released, tssk tssk... This is just wrong anyways, there is no good and evil in AC, just grey.

"37. Throughout Link, the phrases “ancestral memories,” “link,”
38. Throughout the Assassin’s Creed video games, videos, and books, the
phrases “genetic memories of ancestors,” “link,” “synchronize,” and “assassins,”
and similar variations thereof, are used."

Just... how, how does he even dare to try and claim copyrights to words?! What a disgrace. I don't recall hearing the word "link" all too often in the games, if I did at all.

"41. Defendants Ubisoft had access to Link through its availability and
distribution via online bookstores in the United States, the United Kingdom,
Canada, and France."

*sigh*

"45. In the Assassin’s Creed video game, characters access ancestral
memories of historically accurate persons, events and times."

So, Altaïr, Ezio and Connor are real characters...

"63. In Assassin’s Creed II, characters Lucy and Shaun discuss the
difficulty of using the Animus 2.0 with a pregnant woman because memories of
both the father and mother from the fetus interfere."

Ghehe... bothering to do even the slightest of research will definitely help your case.

Basically John Beiswenger act like he has copyright to EVERYTHING mentioned in his books. Nice. Also lovely how he wants the cancellation of AC3 and thus disappoint thousands of fans worldwide and denying them closure only because he wants to. I'm one-hundred percent convinced that will improve his public image and raise the sales of his own books...

SleezeRocker
04-25-2012, 09:53 PM
Did anyone read Beiswenger's official complaint? (http://www.bannerwitcoff.com/_docs/Ubisoft_Complaint.pdf) Aside from the complaint almost solely consisting of a few several points getting repeated over and over again in regards to all AC media, some of his points are just absurd.

"33. In Link, characters experience notable and accurate historical
34. In the Assassin’s Creed video game series, characters experience
various historically accurate times in history through their ancestor’s memories;
this is a major plotline of the Assassin’s Creed video games and books."

Does he have copyright on this too?

"37. Throughout Link, the phrases “ancestral memories,” “link,”
38. Throughout the Assassin’s Creed video games, videos, and books, the
phrases “genetic memories of ancestors,” “link,” “synchronize,” and “assassins,”
and similar variations thereof, are used."

Just... how, how does he even dare to try and claim copyrights to words?! What a disgrace. I don't recall hearing the word "link" all too often in the games, if I did at all.

These made 'LOL' the most, especially line 37-8.

When I read through the lines 37-38, I think of the movie I saw in Economics/Government class senior yr high school, I think it was called, Flash of Genius.
If I remember correctly, the main charcater tries to defend his patents or something about making windshield wipers or something (I saw this like 3-4 years ago)

there was court scene were the M.character reads a book out loud and say among the lines "this a book called _____, author by _______.
*reads one paragraph* OK now: Does the author own the word: "_____"? how about "______"?
*I believe the defendant or someone nods in disagreement*
Main guy- 'Exactly! so the all author did was, took diffrent words accesible to everyone and created a new book! whereas I took parts accesible to create car wipers!'

It was something like that don't fully remember, but anyways that is what I think about.
Any chance they may know what movie im talking about?

freddie_1897
04-26-2012, 07:47 PM
i read an article somewhere that said in a newspaper interview he originally saw the game and thought 'hey they liked the book, cool!' but then saw that they had made it so different and that's what he didn't like.

correct me if I'm wrong, but that argument would work only if AC was based on the book, which it isn't.

and i am VERY glad that this is a jury trial, it will make it a lot more fair

Azurefeatherfly
04-26-2012, 11:58 PM
I believe this article below is what freddie_1897 was referring to:

http://business.financialpost.com/2012/04/25/ubisoft-sued-by-author-over-assassins-creed-game/

Beiswenger is claiming 35 instances of copyright infringement, and last week filed a suit in federal court in Harrisburg, Pa., seeking more than $5-million in damages and an injunction against Ubisoft further infringing on his rights. That means the next installment of the series: Assassin’s Creed III, which is due out in October, could be delayed by this suit.Beiswenger there are too many similarities in the stories in the video games (http://business.financialpost.com/2012/04/25/ubisoft-sued-by-author-over-assassins-creed-game/#) for it to be mere coincidence.
“My initial reaction was, ‘Hey, that’s neat, they liked the book.’ But then when I found out how much they liked it and what the game (http://business.financialpost.com/2012/04/25/ubisoft-sued-by-author-over-assassins-creed-game/#) was like, it didn’t relate to the book at all. I felt damaged at that point,” he said in a newspaper interview.

Jamison_J_B
04-27-2012, 04:39 AM
I believe this article below is what freddie_1897 was referring to:

http://business.financialpost.com/2012/04/25/ubisoft-sued-by-author-over-assassins-creed-game/

LOL And how does Mr. Beiswenger come to the notion that a writer from Ubisoft obtained, liked and duplicated his book? I mean seriously...:confused: This article says it all and the rationale behind this pointless lawsuit. Dear god...

TheLeoCrow
04-27-2012, 12:04 PM
They should all be sued by Frank Herbert's ghost for stealing his ideas about inheriting genetic memories from ancestors

MasterSimaYi
04-27-2012, 01:27 PM
LOL And how does Mr. Beiswenger come to the notion that a writer from Ubisoft obtained, liked and duplicated his book? I mean seriously...:confused: This article says it all and the rationale behind this pointless lawsuit. Dear god...

Most likely narcissism. He probably thinks every mutual thing in his books and AC belongs to him and he is the only one who ever could have come up with him. They can't possibly have come up with it themselves and not have read his book, that would be just silly, wouldn't it?

Rycay
04-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Okay, I've been reading this for the past couple of hours and it is a little amusing. Personally, I don't think Ubisoft ripped off his book in anyway. I didn't even know about this book until I read this nor do I want to look into it further. You "can't" claim copyright to words because millions of people use those everyday, written and spoken. That is ridiculous. And the good vs. evil theme? I agree with everyone else here. That's been used a hundred times. Besides, I was under the impression that in AC each side inhabited a grey area. One side isn't necessarily 100% good and the other side isn't necessarily 100% bad. No one's that saintly and no one's that evil. He has a right to look into this, but a lot of the things I've read so far are ridiculous.

Maybe I don't have a complete understanding of the situation, but this is my opinion. I'm looking forward to this game and I'll be really annoyed if it's ruined for me in anyway.

OriginalMiles
04-27-2012, 05:47 PM
How about this, if anyone lives close to a library, borrow the book if it's there, and read it, then post how similar (if it even is) it is.

Kit572
04-28-2012, 08:13 AM
How about this, if anyone lives close to a library, borrow the book if it's there, and read it, then post how similar (if it even is) it is.

I like this idea, sadly though there aren't any Libraries in my town. And i'm not even going to buy this guys book and make him even more money.

EmmaBemma
04-28-2012, 09:05 AM
I was planning on going to the library next week but I doubt they'll have his book, since it's only a small library.

My initial reaction was, ‘Hey, that’s neat, they liked the book.’ But then when I found out how much they liked it and what the game (http://business.financialpost.com/2012/04/25/ubisoft-sued-by-author-over-assassins-creed-game/#) was like, it didn’t relate to the book at all.
*facepalm* "Oh hey, this game has some similarities to my book... but it's also completely different. They stole my ideas!" Seriously, I don't think this guy can be particularly widely read.

pirate1802
04-28-2012, 10:08 AM
I was planning on going to the library next week but I doubt they'll have his book, since it's only a small library.

*facepalm* "Oh hey, this game has some similarities to my book... but it's also completely different. They stole my ideas!" Seriously, I don't think this guy can be particularly widely read.

So if they had completely replicated the book he'd have been happy and wont have sued them? Jeez ...

PR030T
04-28-2012, 10:15 AM
They should all be sued by Frank Herbert's ghost for stealing his ideas about inheriting genetic memories from ancestors
Southpark lol

starpooled
05-10-2012, 04:15 AM
So, I have been trying to do some research on the lawsuit. So far, there does not seem to be any court date. I have been trying to follow the case using this link:

http://www.rfcexpress.com/lawsuits/copyright-lawsuits/pennsylvania-middle-district-court/94139/john-l-beiswenger-v-ubisoft-entertainment-et-al/summary/

Not being a lawyer, I am kind of unsure what any of it means. Maybe someone a little more law-savvy could shed some light on this gibberish? I really hope Ubisoft pulls through on this one.

Deltasparkz
05-10-2012, 07:28 AM
So, I have been trying to do some research on the lawsuit. So far, there does not seem to be any court date. I have been trying to follow the case using this link:

http://www.rfcexpress.com/lawsuits/copyright-lawsuits/pennsylvania-middle-district-court/94139/john-l-beiswenger-v-ubisoft-entertainment-et-al/summary/

Not being a lawyer, I am kind of unsure what any of it means. Maybe someone a little more law-savvy could shed some light on this gibberish? I really hope Ubisoft pulls through on this one.
I think it says they have to give some kind of admission meaning they settled on a agreement... but im not sure though

Keighvin
05-10-2012, 08:20 AM
Ii means that on the 2nd, Ubisoft filed a petition to allow their lawyers, who aren't members of the bar where the case is being handled, to represent then in court in that jurisdiction.

AnthonyA85
05-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Even though i think this guy filing the claim has a very shaky case (if one at all), he's still gonna fight tooth and nail, just to be difficult.

But i highly doubt he'll get very far.

freddie_1897
05-14-2012, 09:20 PM
had anyone here even heard of his book before now? i mean come on, the judge, jury, and defendants probably haven't heard of it

AnthonyA85
05-15-2012, 12:02 AM
I know i hadn't, nor do I have any real interest in looking it up.

The fact that he's asking for 25 million just screams "I'm broke! Give me money!"

NinjaSpartanII
05-15-2012, 10:56 PM
I recently found this, and the power of a fanbase is rather scary.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/04/29/fans-give-one-star-amazon-reviews-to-author-who-claims-assassins-creed-stole-from-him/

MaKaVeLiTL
05-16-2012, 04:41 AM
I recently found this, and the power of a fanbase is rather scary.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/04/29/fans-give-one-star-amazon-reviews-to-author-who-claims-assassins-creed-stole-from-him/

Lol brilliant, not really helping the situation doing something as childish as that though, is it?

EmmaBemma
05-16-2012, 08:44 AM
I find it pretty childish and not exactly helpful to gamers' image with the media.

Lonesoldier2012
05-16-2012, 05:54 PM
If Ac3 doesn't come out. I'm going on a real life killing spree.

Serrachio
05-16-2012, 06:41 PM
If Ac3 doesn't come out. I'm going on a real life killing spree.

No you won't. That would be stupid.

Peteman990
05-20-2012, 06:34 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/2ijgnyh.jpg

LightRey
05-20-2012, 07:36 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/2ijgnyh.jpg
xD

itsamea-mario
05-20-2012, 08:25 PM
No you won't. That would be stupid.

Tell me a joke.

Assassin_M
05-20-2012, 09:04 PM
Tell me a joke.
You`re dead

itsamea-mario
05-20-2012, 09:07 PM
You`re dead

Good joke, i am immortal after all.

Assassin_M
05-20-2012, 09:08 PM
good joke, i am immortal after all.
laugh !!!

NewBlade200
05-20-2012, 10:35 PM
If AC3 does get cancelled I'm going to his house and I'll egg it (and him if he dares to walk outside) every night until I've spent as much on eggs as I have on Assassin's Creed

freddie_1897
05-20-2012, 10:43 PM
If AC3 does get cancelled I'm going to his house and I'll egg it (and him if he dares to walk outside) every night until I've spent as much on eggs as I have on Assassin's Creed
I'll spend all the money I would have spent on AC3 on petrol, and I'll use all that petrol on filling up my cigarette lighter, and I will burn his flower patch.

Thats right, I will burn his flower patch, mwahahahaha

Assassin_M
05-20-2012, 10:46 PM
I'll spend all the money I would have spent on AC3 on petrol, and I'll use all that petrol on filling up my cigarette lighter, and I will burn his flower patch.

Thats right, I will burn his flower patch, mwahahahaha
Do not do that or he`ll sue you

freddie_1897
05-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Do not do that or he`ll sue you
I'm sorry, I forgot that people were allowed to claim copyright on individual words like, lighter, petrol and synchronise.

Josegtx13
05-20-2012, 10:56 PM
I'm sorry, I forgot that people were allowed to claim copyright on individual words like, lighter, petrol and synchronise.

I'm legit laughing at this. lol

notafanboy
05-20-2012, 11:37 PM

you can´t use those words, they are mine. I suggest you edit your post now or i´ll sue you for 5 million dollars

Assassin_M
05-20-2012, 11:41 PM
you can´t use those words, they are mine. I suggest you edit your post now or i´ll sue you for 5 million dollars
This whole place is mine..
Im just too broke to sue anybody, I think I`ll do it in 5 years..

freddie_1897
05-20-2012, 11:44 PM
I think to avoid complications we should all speak in morse code from now on.

....-- .-. ---. -.-.- ..-- -...-- ---. .---.. .. .- --- ... -.-.-... .--. .. .--.

Limed_-
05-20-2012, 11:45 PM
This whole place is mine..
Im just too broke to sue anybody, I think I`ll do it in 5 years..
I'm already planning to sue because I totally made up the name Connor Rahahdjsareywqnfsdbrtyfdsfsjndfg

Assassin_M
05-20-2012, 11:45 PM
I think to avoid complications we should all speak in morse code from now on.

....-- .-. ---. -.-.- ..-- -...-- ---. .---.. .. .- --- ... -.-.-... .--. .. .--.
I explicitly remember using that line of code..:mad:

freddie_1897
05-20-2012, 11:51 PM
I explicitly remember using that line of code..:mad:
I'm afraid your name is a copyright infringement, you see the word assassin was in a certain book which shares the name of a certain Nintendo character. And the letter M is used frequently in many books, films etc. I would suggest changing your name to just _ or you will be taken to court.