PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 3 Trees

Potato54321
04-13-2012, 01:44 AM
I always assumed that (climbable) trees were left out of previous Assassin's Creed because of the uniqueness of each one, and the difficulty of creating animations for each tree. For example, many different trees have different angles between branches, different number of branches, different branches at different heights, etc. In that regard, how will Ubisoft manage to get around this for AC3? Has anyone who has seen gameplay of AC3 have any idea how this will work out?

Judging from the leaked screenshots, the trees are unique, but maybe they are just showing us parts of the forest with unique trees.

By unique, I don't mean each tree being different, but I mean many different varieties of trees, and they are not all clones of each other.

Similarly, how will Connor climb trees such as pine trees, with very small, close branches? Will we simply not see too many pine trees (quite unrealistic for some parts of the Appalachians, don't know about the Adirondacks and Mohawk Valley) or is there some other way to get around it.

The last problem I'm curious about it is smooth trunks up 20 feet. How exactly will Connor climb those? Some leaked screenshots showed little knobs of wood, sort of like sawed off branches, sticking out of the tree, but is every tree really going to have that?

GunnarGunderson
04-13-2012, 02:05 AM
Dynamic animations, from what I understand none of Connor's animations are pre-animated. Several animations are all dynamically combined to fit the space in which Connor finds himself (think Uncharted and Infamous) as for the smooth tree trunks, I read somewhere that Connor shimmies up them like a flag pole

Ureh
04-13-2012, 07:31 AM
Maybe his gloves have small spikes under them that provide grip. :P

MetalCreed
04-13-2012, 08:00 AM
I can't wait to rope dart some people.
For some reason, I never was a fan of all the fancy gadgets in the AC games.
I hardly used em, and when it came to Leonardo's machines, we only got to use them once.

I'm most looking forward to is exploring the Frontier, traveling on a horse, taking a canoe, going hunting out to kill a few animals, in the process kill some baddies.
Interact with a few people..Then meet some shopkeepers, maybe run into some crazy random event, then meet some Native American guy from another tribe wanting a fight with a the bad *** Connor..
Climbing mountains/rocks and cliff faces should be real fun

I can't wait to see the weather/ season element come in play in the game..Think about battles and hunting during the winter...It'll be real cold for Connor..Maybe there will be a nice warm jacket for him.
Also, I can't wait to see a river frozen up during the winter.

Scystab
04-13-2012, 08:10 AM
Wow, you really are a roleplayer to the core of your soul:)

BeCk41
04-13-2012, 11:03 AM
the tree climbing looks intricate... I'm a little nervous about it.

UrDeviant1
04-13-2012, 06:08 PM

Hmm, me too. I hope It's not gonna' end up being a chore to parkour through trees.

I'd hate It If I just thought "F' It, I'm just gonna' run on the ground".

I do worry what It's gonna' be like.

xOMGITSJASONx
04-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Connor will move like a ninja through those trees.

Potato54321
04-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Dynamic animations, from what I understand none of Connor's animations are pre-animated. Several animations are all dynamically combined to fit the space in which Connor finds himself (think Uncharted and Infamous) as for the smooth tree trunks, I read somewhere that Connor shimmies up them like a flag pole

Awesome! I was really hoping it will be like this. It will hopefully be like Rockstar's RAGE engine, with people stumbling dynamically when you bump into them.

Wow, you really are a roleplayer to the core of your soul:)

Heh, what do you mean?

Yeah, me too. I'm sure Ubi will do a good job, but it seems like something that is very, very easy to mess up.

Ureh
04-13-2012, 09:32 PM
Sorta ambivalent towards the Frontier content, but may change after I hear more. The graphics look pretty decent and I like the sound of tree-hopping/hugging, but a lot of the other things that you can do sound like they shouldn't belong. Hunting? Canoeing? Fighting Indians? What's next? Fishing? Tanning? Scalping (flaying)?! Snowball fights? AC was all about exploring/interacting memories, enviroments, and uncovering conspiracies. I don't really peg the game for some sort of Real-Life Simulator filled with frivolous-trivial-****on-pressing-tasks (Hold L1 and mash the X ****on to reel em' in!). I've never played Read Dead Redemption but I hear quite a few people comparing these activities to ones that can be found in the former. Now if that was more enjoyable than it sounds then I might enjoy this.

Nevertheless, More doesn't mean Better in some cases.

MetalCreed
04-13-2012, 11:40 PM
Sorta ambivalent towards the Frontier content, but may change after I hear more. The graphics look pretty decent and I like the sound of tree-hopping/hugging, but a lot of the other things that you can do sound like they shouldn't belong. Hunting? Canoeing? Fighting Indians? What's next? Fishing? Tanning? Scalping (flaying)?! Snowball fights? AC was all about exploring/interacting memories, enviroments, and uncovering conspiracies. I don't really peg the game for some sort of Real-Life Simulator filled with frivolous-trivial-****on-pressing-tasks (Hold L1 and mash the X ****on to reel em' in!). I've never played Read Dead Redemption but I hear quite a few people comparing these activities to ones that can be found in the former. Now if that was more enjoyable than it sounds then I might enjoy this.

Those activities add to the realism, and they seem fun IMO.
Assassin's Creed games get boring after completing most of the activities/ near 100%. I think these additions will make ACIII last longer.
Red Dead redemption had hunting, and exploring and it was definitely worth it.
Ubisoft is in the right track, after all, ASSASSIN'S CREED GAMES ARE OPEN-WORLD.

One thing I want Ubi to work on is the random events. I was expecting the random events to be frequent and not very rare, and they should also be fun.

DavisP92
04-13-2012, 11:53 PM

What you say is true, more doesn't always mean better. But with this, if it is anything like red dead (probably better), then it will be a great addition to the series. I'm siked for hunting, if they do it right then I'll probably be spending more time doing that then anything. And seeing how that is the way we will be making the majority of money then it is even better. Canoeing is just another form of transportation, fighting Indians??? what are you complaining about there, combat. So we shouldn't fight now? no combat?? yea seeing how i know that isn't what you mean, the addition of new enemy types will always be a bonus (as long as the improve the AI for all enemies as well). i wouldn't even mind fishing honestly, only as a way to blend though. Or if we are selling the fish, but where would tanning come from when it's a game about an assassin making his way in a certain era (against templars of course) and scalping is a meh. snowball fights would be pretty funny as a joke in MP. but yea you're complaining (not in a bad way, although you bring up points like the fighting Indians, that make no sense) about a game where we relive the lives of ancestors who are assassins, and state the the game was about exploring and interacting memories, environments and uncovering conspiracies. yet from the things that you complained about you only fortified that this game is about reliving the lives of the assassins.

hope my point is clear, i thought my reply was a little jumbled up

Ureh
04-14-2012, 04:20 AM
Yeah, we'll just have to find out later this year. I've never played a game with seemingly superfluous activites (like the ones from RDR) so don't know if I'll enjoy them. AC has always been about reliving the key moments of an ancestor, so I'm not sure if hunting and fishing fall under that category. Honestly, I'm not even sure which of those activites have been confirmed since I don't keep up on the news. I agree that some players want to mess around with the world and these features can add more to the open world experience and it also lets them take a break from the stalking, stabbing, and climbing.

But after playing AC1 10 times, AC2 35 times, ACB 14 times, I can safely say that I rarely did any of the side missions. What interested me were the overall atmosphere (culture, music, architecture, scenery) and story (characters, history, conspiracies). Sometimes I feel that AC franchise is deviating from what it should be.

Like I said, I'm fairly neutral right now.

DavisP92
04-14-2012, 04:45 AM
Yeah, we'll just have to find out later this year. I've never played a game with seemingly superfluous activites (like the ones from RDR) so don't know if I'll enjoy them. AC has always been about reliving the key moments of an ancestor, so I'm not sure if hunting and fishing fall under that category. Honestly, I'm not even sure which of those activites have been confirmed since I don't keep up on the news. I agree that some players want to mess around with the world and these features can add more to the open world experience and it also lets them take a break from the stalking, stabbing, and climbing.

But after playing AC1 10 times, AC2 35 times, ACB 14 times, I can safely say that I rarely did any of the side missions. What interested me were the overall atmosphere (culture, music, architecture, scenery) and story (characters, history, conspiracies). Sometimes I feel that AC franchise is deviating from what it should be.

Hunting has been confirmed (a hunting club), but nothing else has been. Well no other club has been confirmed. The other activities you brought up were mainly ones of gameplay (transportation and combat) not recreational activities in the game. Well it's good that you can understand that a lot of people want more then just stalking, stabbing and climbing, i am one of those. I want to be able to play AC and not have to go to another game to get my "fill". If AC3 has coop, a coop story like it's sp then it would be a perfect game. You should play Red Dead

I have played the AC games a few times as well, but i am the opposite of you. Well, to some extent. I did a lot of the side missions until i was bored with them because they weren't that different from each other. AC3 has the opportunity to have different side missions, or at least have interesting side missions. To me, AC has deviated from what made AC1 so great. The actual feeling of being an assassin, and planning your attack and being able to escape. I like how they are going back to a lot of AC1's main gameplay and concepts

Calvarok
04-14-2012, 05:38 AM

If you don't keep up with the news, don't post rants about things that you may enjoy more than you think, after doing some research. If you hear about something that you think sounds bad referenced in the forum post, go read the ****ing article to get some context before you start complaining that the series has lost its way.

The game is about reliving key parts of lives, yes, and since Connor is less of an exclusively urban ancestor, and comes from a more nature-based background, hunting is a major part of his life, and who he is. And it's not a mundane task. If you read the impressions of the demo that was shown, you'd know that connor's fight with a bear was one of the most exciting parts. Sure, not every kill will be like that, since not every animal puts up a fight. And if you want to ignore deer and only kill bears and cougars, then guess what? You've skipped the stuff you find boring and went to the stuff you find fun, in a natural progression. Huh. That wasn't so bad. Meanwhile the people who like the idea of quietly stalking a deer and taking it out can do so. And the whole concept of hunting is an optional part of the game that you can entirely ignore after you've been shown how to do it.

pacmanate
04-14-2012, 08:48 AM
One thing that will piss me off is if they mess up the fluidity of tree running. If they are going to put it IN the game, they better do it properly. Also, I hope to hell that horses don't stop for a second, jump over something, then stop for a second like they did in past AC games. The horses were the most unfluid animated things in the whole game.

Moultonborough
04-14-2012, 09:37 AM
It was shown in the PAX Demo I saw. I can't think of any specific games right now but picture someone hugging the wall and comes to a corner, they edge around it while still hugging the wall. Right after he swings on a branch gets onto the next and runs flat out eventually standing in the "V" of the tree just staying still.

Ureh
04-14-2012, 09:41 AM
If you don't keep up with the news, don't post rants about things that you may enjoy more than you think, after doing some research. If you hear about something that you think sounds bad referenced in the forum post, go read the ****ing article to get some context before you start complaining that the series has lost its way.

Which article(s) do you suggest I read that may give me the credibility to start voicing my opinion on this topic? Even just the name of a site would help.

The game is about reliving key parts of lives, yes, and since Connor is less of an exclusively urban ancestor, and comes from a more nature-based background, hunting is a major part of his life, and who he is. And it's not a mundane task. If you read the impressions of the demo that was shown, you'd know that connor's fight with a bear was one of the most exciting parts. Sure, not every kill will be like that, since not every animal puts up a fight. And if you want to ignore deer and only kill bears and cougars, then guess what? You've skipped the stuff you find boring and went to the stuff you find fun, in a natural progression. Huh. That wasn't so bad. Meanwhile the people who like the idea of quietly stalking a deer and taking it out can do so. And the whole concept of hunting is an optional part of the game that you can entirely ignore after you've been shown how to do it.

I heard Connor is part Native American and as a naive person I would tend to think that hunting wild animals was an integral part of his culture. Unfortunately I can't make that call because I don't know anything about his tribe or their culture. If you know for sure that hunting played an important role in his tribe and that it could potentially add more to the character and the story, then I'm very glad to hear that. Gotta wonder though, since Connor is walking around dressed as an Eagle, what could this mean when he is hunting other animals that Eagles don't usually hunt? Does Connor adhere to his tribe's customs, therefore he hunts, or does he solely follow the Creed which may be contrary to the tribe's customs?

Articles are written by people who give their impressions on a demo. Did they get hands-on with the demo? Was the demo exhibited in such a way that it was a true representation of how it would play out when game launches (eg: hud removed, person playing the game knew how to kill the bear effortlessly thereby making the kill exciting instead of frustrating, sophisticated yet intuitive ****on controls or just mundane ****on mashing, and did they have items/features unlocked during that sequence that won't be unlocked for us?). I'd like to read the article(s) you're referring to. But watching is one thing and experiencing for yourself it is another. On top of that, opinions may differ. Should I get excited about the bear fight just because the author is excited? I'm not saying I won't get excited when I do play for myself, but this is why I don't actively seek out preview articles. It spoils things and sometimes I believe previews will force me into a certain mindset regardless if I want to. Perhaps if I did read the article I would already be predisposed to rejecting the author's opinion?

I don't remember saying that I think hunting will be boring. I was merely saying that I am afraid that it may be just used as a pointless filler, which in turn leads me to think that they included hunting only because they don't have content for more crucial portions of the game. If stalking the deer or trapping the bear somehow have influential roles somewhere along the game, cool. But if it's just there for the sake of content then I'll ignore it for the most part if it turns out I don't like it.

Wait and see for ourselves, like I previously mentioned.

Calvarok
04-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Which article(s) do you suggest I read that may give me the credibility to start voicing my opinion on this topic? Even just the name of a site would help.

I heard Connor is part Native American and as a naive person I would tend to think that hunting wild animals was an integral part of his culture. Unfortunately I can't make that call because I don't know anything about his tribe or their culture. If you know for sure that hunting played an important role in his tribe and that it could potentially add more to the character and the story, then I'm very glad to hear that. Gotta wonder though, since Connor is walking around dressed as an Eagle, what could this mean when he is hunting other animals that Eagles don't usually hunt?

Articles are written by people who give their impressions on a demo. Did they get hands-on with the demo? Was the demo exhibited in such a way that it was a true representation of how it would play out when game launches (eg: hud removed, person playing the game knew how to kill the bear effortlessly thereby making the kill exciting instead of frustrating, sophisticated yet intuitive ****on controls or just mundane ****on mashing, and did they have items/features unlocked during that sequence that won't be unlocked for us?). I'd like to read the article(s) you're referring to. But watching is one thing and experiencing for yourself it is another. On top of that, opinions may differ. Should I get excited about the bear fight just because the author is excited? I'm not saying I won't get excited when I do play for myself, but this is why I don't actively seek out preview articles. It spoils things and sometimes I believe previews will force me into a certain mindset regardless if I want to. Perhaps if I did read the article I would already be predisposed to rejecting the author's opinion?

I don't remember saying that I think hunting will be boring. I was merely saying that I am afraid that it may be just used as a pointless filler, which in turn leads me to think that they included hunting only because they don't have content for more crucial portions of the game. If stalking the deer or trapping the bear somehow have influential roles somewhere along the game, cool. But if it's just there for the sake of content then I'll ignore it for the most part if it turns out I don't like it.

Wait and see for ourselves, like I previously mentioned.
You could start with reading/watching all of the game informer AC coverage, conveniently gathered into one place right here: http://www.gameinformer.com/p/ac3.aspx
Sorry for my tone earlier, I was in kind of a bad mood.

Here's the thing: when every single bit of content is somehow crucial to the story, then things can start to seem a bit convenient and unbelievable. They have already stated that the game's narrative scope will be bigger than AC2's, so any side content is in addition to that. So your fears of hunting or other activities detracting from the rest of the game are somewhat unjustified. Many players, such as myself, enjoy having something to do once the story is done, and in-between missions. It makes it feel like things actually happen in the world other than the main story. It makes the world feel bigger. You're at your leisure to ignore it, and you'll still get a huge amount of hours out of the game, but if you get bored of the main story content, you will have this other stuff to do to extend your playtime.

I mentioned that the bear fight was exciting because you referred to hunting as a mundane task, when what they appear to be going for is making it like an assassination on a non-human target. You get a better quality pelt for assassinating with your hidden blade than shooting your prey with a rifle or bow and arrow, encouraging stealthy approaches or direct confrontation. It's a naturalistic twist on the normal gameplay, and I think it works perfectly with the core AC gameplay.

As to whether native american tribes hunted... well since they're living in the wilderness, how else are they going to get their food? Doesn't take a rocket scientist.

Again, no offence meant. I just think you're looking at this the wrong way.

Ureh
04-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks, I'll take a look at it asap. I do see the merit in activites like this as I've already mentioned earlier. When we just want to mess with an open world game, these give us the options to do things other than running around and killing guards and jumping off rooftops. It makes us think that we have variety and a ton of stuff to do. I guess there doesn't need to be an important reason for hunting to be implemented, sometimes we all just want to do something monotonous and menial. But I also said that I've played the other AC games dozens of times and ultimately strayed away from most of the misc. activites. Maybe that's just how I feel after playing the game so many times, it feels like reading a good book or being engrossed in a movie. That's why I come back. I have feeling when I play AC3 multiple times it won't be for the bear pelts. *shrug*

I'm aware that they needed to hunt to obtain food, I thought you were implying that it had some symbolic significance to the culture or may play some part in the story (at least for importants kills when Connor needs to prove himself or something like that...). Anyway, I'm not completely against the idea of hunting (and other extra activities).

Regardless of any disagreements or misunderstanding, I didn't take offense. I'm also sorry if I may've offended you in any way.

Boro-Bartosh95
04-22-2012, 11:07 AM
i just hope the way you jump through the trees feels real and fluid. plus does anyone know if they have changed the sprinting in this game as i hated the sprinting in previous AC games

Boro-Bartosh95
04-22-2012, 11:12 AM
did it look real the way he moved in an out of the trees? plus have they changed the way you sprint in this game? as i hated the way you sprinted in previous AC games.

Krayus Korianis
04-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Once I received a new weapon in AC, I barely used it after. I usually only used two to three weapons... Until AC:R. THAT game had you using smoke bombs, frag bombs and other items to draw, kill and sneak past NPC's. Hell, even poison was much more fun with the bombs.

I may start playing AC, AC II, AC:B and AC:R in a bit... I haven't played them in a while.

xOMGITSJASONx
04-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Maybe his gloves have small spikes under them that provide grip. :P

Sure why not. We will find out exactly how in the future.