PDA

View Full Version : Combat Info

crash3
04-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Dont know if youve already seen this stuff, but after reading what Alex Hutchinson has said, Im excited about combat gameplay now. What are your thoughts on this?

"Promisingly, the counter system is now a two-part entity: hitting the ****on on time triggers another set of choices. "When you counter, you create a counter window and then you decide what you want to do. If you counter correctly, time slows down and if you hit the same ****on again you'll dodge, but if you attack you'll assassinate, all that sort of stuff."

"The Templar stooges you'll fight (not all of them British) are brainier than their Florentian predecessors. Basic redcoats deploy army tactics, forming firing lines if they catch you in plain view. "They have the notion of a group. It's not just each man fighting, and they all die one after another.""It's been a tricky one to establish that these are guys with guns," Hutchinson explains. "They don't fight hand to hand as often as in previous games, but the Assassin is still a hand to hand guy. So a lot of the strategy is about breaking those formations. If you stand in front of a bunch of guys with rifles, they will kill you."

"Connor wields firearms of his own, but he won't be able to shoot his way out of every encounter: Hutchinson is mindful that previous games gave us too many ranged weapons to play with, and has taken steps. "Having 30 crossbow bolts, 40 throwing knives essentially means you never have to fight. So we're limiting ammunition a lot more."

"Besides the basic Limey infantry, the Templars will field heavy-hitters in the form of axe-wielding Scotsmen, and support types in the form of drummers, who'll summon reinforcements if left unmolested. You'll even square off against fellow Native Americans, reflecting fierce divisions among the tribes of the era."

NewBlade200
04-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Sounds pretty awesome. I can still see a problem if we still insta kill though

crash3
04-07-2012, 03:27 PM
One thing I still think hasnt been addressed yet is the fact that, we know that we are guaranteed kills if we do certain moves. I hope theres an element of chance/unpredictability in the combat like in AC1 where, guards randomly countered or dodged your attacks. I hope these double counters arent always necessarily lethal. From what Hutchinson said, there seems to be elite oppponents to fight-I hope they take multiple attempts to defeat without us knowing that they only need one more attack or counter to kill if you get me

YoooDonny
04-07-2012, 03:36 PM
im not too sure about this whole the enemies shoot more now. one of the best things were sword fights, if they've decreased it too much they could easily ruin the game.

they also need to make crossbow/bow-and-arrow longer ranged, coz theyre sort of like the sniper rifle for modern day assassins, i dont like how short the range of crossbows have been

one other thing they should do is, give us some one on ones, like someone who can fight very well, give us the chance to have a couple of challenging and exciting one on ones against skilled opponents

YoooDonny
04-07-2012, 03:38 PM
i also hope they havent added to many slow motion parts, i didnt like the slow motion parts in revelations even though it was at the end, it jus felt so unnatural. and if there is slow motion during fights that will just ruin the fighting

YoooDonny
04-07-2012, 04:00 PM
im not too sure about this whole the enemies shoot more now. one of the best things were sword fights, if they've decreased it too much they could easily ruin the game.

they also need to make crossbow/bow-and-arrow longer ranged, coz theyre sort of like the sniper rifle for modern day assassins, i dont like how short the range of crossbows have been

one other thing they should do is, give us some one on ones, like someone who can fight very well, give us the chance to have a couple of challenging and exciting one on ones against skilled opponents

also dont like that EVERY weapon is dual wield

dxsxhxcx
04-07-2012, 04:11 PM
interesting... now I'm more curious than ever to watch that **** demo.. :P

@YooDonny use the "edit bu-t-ton" instead of posting the same thing again, you can find it below your post... ;)

DavisP92
04-07-2012, 04:27 PM
I was wondering, when we skin the animals do we see their fur-less/skinless/featherless bodies when we are done with them like red dead?

xx-pyro
04-07-2012, 05:06 PM
The combat system sounds good but I'd like to see a gameplay demo before I hype myself up too much. I'm also hoping the new control set doesn't mess with me too much.

crash3
04-07-2012, 09:10 PM
From what Ive read, the challenge seems to be more focused on being stealthy in order to get close enough to fight the soldiers, but once your in melle combat, there doesnt appear to be as much challenge. Connor has been described as a destroyer by either Gabe or Hutchinson who is more deadly than ever. That worries me that combat is still gonna be one sided in Connors favour.

I do enjoy the slow motion moves as long as they only appear during dramatic finishing moves

Also I do like the Idea of having some very skilled opponents that you fight one on one, but as long as they actually have more skill, not just a massive load of health like Cesare Borgia had in ACB

MoneyForBoobs
04-07-2012, 09:30 PM
i`ll judge when i see demo, till now dough it sounds SICK

eagleforlife1
04-10-2012, 08:29 PM
It would be nice if you could dual wield muskets ala Hawkeye in this scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp957uI31SA

Dieinthedark
04-10-2012, 09:59 PM
i also hope they havent added to many slow motion parts, i didnt like the slow motion parts in revelations even though it was at the end, it jus felt so unnatural. and if there is slow motion during fights that will just ruin the fighting

I didn't mind that as much as the music during the slow mo

Serrachio
04-10-2012, 10:19 PM
First of all, the slow-motion in Revelations was a bad idea and I don't get why they've brought it back in AC3. It's not like people can't see what happens at the normal speed, and the whole "Time slows down so you can press a but.ton" sounds exceedingly like a Quick Time Event, even though it doesn't "technically" fit the definition. Personally, I don't believe that the AC series needs that sort of mechanic, bar what they did with cutscenes like Ezio attacking Cesare at Navarre.

Also, who in their right mind would consider having Dodge as a part of the Counter function? If what they've told us so far is true, why would I want to dodge out of the way of a guard's attack in combat when his buddies behind him are going to line up in formation and unload their muskets into me, which are now supposed to be more lethal than ever?

Wouldn't it be more plausible to have the Assassinate function for the Counter-Kill, and then have the Grab function instead of the Dodge so that I can pull this guard who I've countered in to be a human shield? This way, I've got some protection against his friends behind him, and then when they're done firing into him, I can go into the fray with my dual-wielded weapons and murder the crap out of them.

who-can-i-be
04-11-2012, 09:58 PM
First of all, the slow-motion in Revelations was a bad idea and I don't get why they've brought it back in AC3. It's not like people can't see what happens at the normal speed, and the whole "Time slows down so you can press a but.ton" sounds exceedingly like a Quick Time Event, even though it doesn't "technically" fit the definition. Personally, I don't believe that the AC series needs that sort of mechanic, bar what they did with cutscenes like Ezio attacking Cesare at Navarre.

Also, who in their right mind would consider having Dodge as a part of the Counter function? If what they've told us so far is true, why would I want to dodge out of the way of a guard's attack in combat when his buddies behind him are going to line up in formation and unload their muskets into me, which are now supposed to be more lethal than ever?

Wouldn't it be more plausible to have the Assassinate function for the Counter-Kill, and then have the Grab function instead of the Dodge so that I can pull this guard who I've countered in to be a human shield? This way, I've got some protection against his friends behind him, and then when they're done firing into him, I can go into the fray with my dual-wielded weapons and murder the crap out of them.

It was said that you will also be given the opportunity for a "non-lethal" approach, e.g. bare handed combat will play out through sleeper holds, as opposed to broken necks.

Serrachio
04-11-2012, 10:05 PM
It was said that you will also be given the opportunity for a "non-lethal" approach, e.g. bare handed combat will play out through sleeper holds, as opposed to broken necks.

I still don't see how that defends having Dodge over Grab.

MARV3L3D GAM3R
04-11-2012, 11:47 PM
i think this would be a pretty cool feature.... DODGING BULLETS.... .... by this i mean rifles pointed right at you and you are 10ft away....so imagine Connor is running towards a group of 3 or so soldiers with rifles. each of them will shoot once. then when the 3 shots are fired things slow down to half speed and an arrow or ****on appears at the top of the screen or side for the number of shots fired. you have to press each ****on in order to dodge all 3 bullets.

so 3 bullets fired means 3 ****ons to press either L L R or for xbox X Y B or whatever the combination tells you, should be random and reasonably fast.

maybe having a meter full of energy and every time you dodge x% of energy goes down so it is limited to how many times you can dodge... and the energy would recharge itself or something, slower if you get injured or something. as you mature through the game and skills less % would be used to dodge or something.

That way we can get close and perform cool combo strikes. im not saying that it should be in slow mo either.... maybe a tad slower but noting like Revelations... maybe at like half speed or something.

not entirely sure but this would be just an over the top addition to make it crazy. so i dont care if it ever happens, but it would be kind of fun to have as a feature.

Serrachio
04-11-2012, 11:51 PM
i think this would be a pretty cool feature.... DODGING BULLETS.... .... by this i mean rifles pointed right at you and you are 10ft away....so imagine Connor is running towards a group of 3 or so soldiers with rifles. each of them will shoot once. then when the 3 shots are fired things slow down to half speed and an arrow or ****on appears at the top of the screen or side for the number of shots fired. you have to press each ****on in order to dodge all 3 bullets.

so 3 bullets fired means 3 ****ons to press either L L R or for xbox X Y B or whatever the combination tells you, should be random and reasonably fast.

That way we can get close and perform cool combo strikes. im not saying that it should be in slow mo either.... maybe a tad slower but noting like Revelations... maybe at like half speed or something.

No. Assassin's Creed is not The Matrix.

morpheusPrime08
04-12-2012, 01:59 AM
It would be nice if you could dual wield muskets ala Hawkeye in this scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp957uI31SA

What an awsome movie, when I heard Connor was half native american this movie was the first to come to mind
:D.

BBALive
04-12-2012, 02:48 AM

also dont like that EVERY weapon is dual wield

According to a recent interview, two-handed weapons are also available. Whether this information is reliable or not is up for debate, since the article was actually translated rather then being in English originally.

LightRey
04-12-2012, 11:21 AM
No. Assassin's Creed is not The Matrix.
Not to mention it's incredibly unrealistic. You can't dodge bullets. You can barely dodge arrows.

crash3
04-12-2012, 01:06 PM
One thing that worries me is that Connors opponents are armed with Bayonet muskets, so once in close combat, they are basically like spears. What can you do with a Bayonet? Stab forward? Thats about it, whereas Connor can do a whole variety of moves with his Tomahawk and Knife etc. So my point is that I worry that opponents wont have that many skills unless they can use swords as well which would add challenge to combat. Perhaps the bayonet-armed soldiers can use their rifle ****s? Say as a counter move, if you hit someone round the head with a rifle ****, theyre practically dead. I hope the solidiers can break your guard, dodge and counter your attacks, but I hope they do it randomly like in AC1, NOT like in AC2 with those archetypes where you knew that certain guards dodge only or counter only which made combat way too easy. I'd like to see how Connor fights Native Americans, surely that would be a real challenge as the Native Americans would have similar skills with the Tomahawk to Connor?

What are your thoguhts?