PDA

View Full Version : Naval Battles (Non AC3)

Jexx21
04-04-2012, 04:40 AM
EDIT: due to confusion of posters below; I am not proposing anything that is similar to den defense in any way

really? Cause I sorta specified that no actual commands were being given to any sailors in your crew, that's all done through cutscenes. In fact, this isn't so much of a naval battle as more of a moving platform, made to look like your on a ship floating on an ocean. As the captain of the ship all you would really be doing is simple things like manning cannons and then leading raids onto other ships or docks.

This really isn't any different in terms of game mechanics from normal missions. In fact, It's a lot like one of the opening missions in Brotherhood, where Cesare is sieging Monterigionni. In that mission, Ezio does a bunch of free-running stuff to get to his enemy, fights his enemy, and also mans a cannon. Just imagine that style of mission placed onto ships (that are actually moving also). Almost like that greek fire mission in Revelations, but it's not.

I personally think it would be cool to have a naval battle or two in a future AC game (not Assassin's Creed 3, unless it already has a naval battle, but I doubt it). Think about it, you're the captain of a ship in the 17th or 18th century (and also an Assassin), and you come across enemy forces. In a cut-scene, the character orders the sailors to man the canons, and to pull ahead to the ship to take it. You may be able to man a canon yourself, and when the ships get close enough together you could board the enemy ship to take it over.

Now, that sort of situation is probably not accurate at all to what naval warfare is like, since I'm just using stuff I saw from watching Pirates of the Carribean, but still I think it would be cool to see what Ubi could do with it.

'sides, the PotC theme is epic, and epic music is epic, and epic music makes things epic, because epic music is epic, and the word epic is getting epically annoying right now. epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDCJgYRaPVQ

souNdwAve89
04-04-2012, 05:33 AM
Sounds good to me. We already got an idea from playing that one mission in Brotherhood, where you were in Naples destroying one of Leonardo's machines. The idea of commanding a ship is similar to what the folks were trying to achieve with Revelations' tower defense where Ezio was like a general ordering his troops.

LordWolv
04-04-2012, 05:36 AM
Sure, why not. We've had a flame-thrower and a flying machine so screw it.

I'd want less heavy artillery and something similar to what we saw in the flame-thrower mission of ACR, free running onto ships, eliminating guards and carrying on from ship to ship. Or you could take the stealthy approach, of course.

Jexx21
04-04-2012, 06:03 AM
leap of faith into stacks of hay on other ships!

...or, ya know, stacks of cloth or other shipments. maybe bags of oats.

jmk1999
04-04-2012, 06:05 AM
gotta say no... i'm not a fan of strategy mini games in my AC... this just sounds like a rehash of den defense which was a huge bust.

but... if it's purely single player action with no need for issuing orders and stuff... sure, why not?

rain89c
04-04-2012, 06:06 AM
gotta say no... i'm not a fan of strategy mini games in my AC... this just sounds like a rehash of den defense which was a huge bust.

agree

Jexx21
04-04-2012, 06:12 AM
really? Cause I sorta specified that no actual commands were being given to any sailors in your crew, that's all done through cutscenes. In fact, this isn't so much of a naval battle as more of a moving platform, made to look like your on a ship floating on an ocean. As the captain of the ship all you would really be doing is simple things like manning cannons and then leading raids onto other ships or docks.

This really isn't any different in terms of game mechanics from normal missions. In fact, It's a lot like one of the opening missions in Brotherhood, where Cesare is sieging Monterigionni. In that mission, Ezio does a bunch of free-running stuff to get to his enemy, fights his enemy, and also mans a cannon. Just imagine that style of mission placed onto ships (that are actually moving also). Almost like that greek fire mission in Revelations, but it's not.

rain89c
04-04-2012, 06:14 AM

What I hated most about AC were those scenes specifically you are describing.
Those exotic missions just doesn't do the AC franchise justice as it is known for platforming, not driving around big tanks, ships firing canons and blowing things up.
So, sorry, no.

Jexx21
04-04-2012, 06:17 AM
Well, this is mostly platforming...

...no offense, but you don't seem to support much on these forums.

rain89c
04-04-2012, 06:19 AM
Yeh I know its still mainly a platformer, but every-time I had to play one of those exotic missions in AC, i just wished this d@mn mission would be over...
just sayin

Jexx21
04-04-2012, 06:22 AM
Really? I always loved the exotic missions, especially the glider bomber and the naval cannon missions.

pirate1802
04-04-2012, 06:35 AM
Really? I always loved the exotic missions, especially the glider bomber and the naval cannon missions.

I agree. That glider bomber + that epic music = pure win. I have to force myself to get off the glider, I just wanna keep flying on and on, and remember the similar moment of AC2 :')

souNdwAve89
04-04-2012, 07:21 AM
I actually liked the tower defense mini game in Revelations. I'm not saying that it's amazing by any means, but I thought it was brave of them to try something new. I know that a lot of people didn't like or hated it, but for what it was, it was fun for a short while.

pirate1802
04-04-2012, 03:14 PM
I actually liked the tower defense mini game in Revelations. I'm not saying that it's amazing by any means, but I thought it was brave of them to try something new. I know that a lot of people didn't like or hated it, but for what it was, it was fun for a short while.

Me too. I'll admit it was frustrating in the beginning, getting pwned by the machine that comes in the end, but once I figured it out, it was fun.

Sukramo
04-04-2012, 04:12 PM
The flying machine in Brotherhood was fun but the full sync was a *****.

If you failed you had to re-do 20 min of stealthing.............

pirate1802
04-04-2012, 05:13 PM
The flying machine in Brotherhood was fun but the full sync was a *****.

If you failed you had to re-do 20 min of stealthing.............

Agreed. The full sync system is broken in every game.

Jexx21
08-18-2014, 07:29 AM
What do you mean? Full sync for the bomber is a helluva easy thing to do. The hard one is the tank mission.

did I make this before naval was revealed in AC3?

lol

Fatal-Feit
08-18-2014, 07:50 AM
Apparently.