PDA

View Full Version : AC3 Desmond Free-roam

rain89c
04-04-2012, 03:55 AM
Who think's there might be a possibility that we might get to free roam with Desmond in a fully loaded modern city?
I for one would love to be able to do that with the updated parkour moves.
Thoughts?
Ideas?

GeneralTrumbo
04-04-2012, 04:05 AM
Who think's there might be a possibility that we might get to free roam with Desmond in a fully loaded modern city?
I for one would love to be able to do that with the updated parkour moves.
Thoughts?
Ideas?
I think it is actually quite possible. It was confirmed philadalphia would be in the game and it would tie into the modern-day story. It has also been confirmed that there will be more modern-day segments than ever before.

treDIDDY97
04-04-2012, 04:19 AM
probably.. werent you able to free roam with desmond in montergionni (didnt spell that right) during brotherhood?

infamous_ezio
04-04-2012, 04:20 AM
I've been thinking about this, it would be so good!

twenty_glyphs
04-04-2012, 04:45 AM
I seriously doubt we'll see Desmond free-roaming in a modern city. They have said that Philadelphia gave their upgraded engine technical problems because of its wide streets and grid layout, in addition to not being as fun to explore. If Philadelphia from the 1700s gave their engine problems, imagine the problems posed by a modern city. I think their engine is just not designed to handle large, modern cities. Nothing wrong with that since the focus is on recreating cities from the past. Also, the parkour of the series just doesn't lend itself to fun navigation in a modern city. Games like Prototype and Spider-Man have locomotion systems that are better suited to that environment.

Jexx21
04-04-2012, 04:48 AM
I doubt there'll be a 'fully-loaded modern city', I do expect to go to New York as Desmond for a linear mission though. Just no climbing past a certain point on the buildings.

deskpe
04-04-2012, 04:51 AM
they could do a modern place that would work. A big skyscraper city wont happen, atleast not with freerunning.

GeneralTrumbo
04-04-2012, 05:32 AM
I seriously doubt we'll see Desmond free-roaming in a modern city. They have said that Philadelphia gave their upgraded engine technical problems because of its wide streets and grid layout, in addition to not being as fun to explore. If Philadelphia from the 1700s gave their engine problems, imagine the problems posed by a modern city. I think their engine is just not designed to handle large, modern cities. Nothing wrong with that since the focus is on recreating cities from the past. Also, the parkour of the series just doesn't lend itself to fun navigation in a modern city. Games like Prototype and Spider-Man have locomotion systems that are better suited to that environment.
I'm sure we will at least get some type of area for Desmond to explore.

LordWolv
04-04-2012, 05:33 AM
I'd call it possible but it seems to me like a waste of time and money if they were to develop it.

GeneralTrumbo
04-04-2012, 05:36 AM
I'd call it possible but it seems to me like a waste of time and money if they were to develop it.
The modern-day story IS the story. It wouldn't be a waste of time and money. Looks to me like you shouldn't even get AC3. Because it is already confirmed that they invested a lot of time into the modern-day portion of the game.

LordWolv
04-04-2012, 05:39 AM
The modern-day story IS the story. It wouldn't be a waste of time and money. Looks to me like you shouldn't even get AC3. Because it is already confirmed that they invested a lot of time into the modern-day portion of the game.
Shush, don't tell me what to do.

The modern day implement of AC is to give the historical times a backbone; and AC will continue to be famous and known for the historical implement. The time and money you could spend on a 'modern new york' would be better spent in the area AC is notorious for, the historical side, to make Native America a more effective and convincing place.

GeneralTrumbo
04-04-2012, 05:41 AM

The modern day implement of AC is to give the historical times a backbone; and AC will continue to be famous and known for the historical implement. The time and money you could spend on a 'modern new york' would be better spent in the area AC is notorious for, the historical side, to make Native America a more effective and convincing place.
Don't the developers decide what the modern day story is for? I mean, for real, you are entitled to your opinion, but believe it or not, there are people who like the modern day story. And would you rather have a crappy modern-day portion tacked on rather than a well-developed one? I would have the latter.

LordWolv
04-04-2012, 05:47 AM
Don't the developers decide what the modern day story is for? I mean, for real, you are entitled to your opinion, but believe it or not, there are people who like the modern day story. And would you rather have a crappy modern-day portion tacked on rather than a well-developed one? I would have the latter.
As I'm saying, it's the backbone of the ancestral side. AC without the modern-day story would be worse, but that's not because the modern-day story has been well-developed. It's because it's there. In all four instalments the magic of modern-day story has been, well, story; and that doesn't take much development. Why would we want to see this change, when we know the ancestral side is much better (or at least has the potential of such).

GeneralTrumbo
04-04-2012, 05:53 AM
As I'm saying, it's the backbone of the ancestral side. AC without the modern-day story would be worse, but that's not because the modern-day story has been well-developed. It's because it's there. In all four instalments the magic of modern-day story has been, well, story; and that doesn't take much development. Why would we want to see this change, when we know the ancestral side is much better (or at least has the potential of such).
All I will say is that for Desmond's last game he should get more gameplay. It is his last game, therefore it should be treated as such. For the end of the world plotline, there is quite a lot of potential to be in this game. I am thinking of sequences with fire raining from the sky, etc. It all sounds great. There is a lot of questions they have to answer and the only real way they can do that is through gameplay. It would be so much more boring to sit there and watch a 30 minute cutscene answering the questions. I would much rather play them.

LordWolv
04-04-2012, 05:59 AM
All I will say is that for Desmond's last game he should get more gameplay. It is his last game, therefore it should be treated as such. For the end of the world plotline, there is quite a lot of potential to be in this game. I am thinking of sequences with fire raining from the sky, etc. It all sounds great. There is a lot of questions they have to answer and the only real way they can do that is through gameplay. It would be so much more boring to sit there and watch a 30 minute cutscene answering the questions. I would much rather play them.
Okay, fair enough. difference of opinions and that's fine.
I'd rather have that time spent on the Ancestral side, you wouldn't.
Problem solved.

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 06:09 AM
AC III with a flown-blown modern city ? Not gonna happen..
Desmond can get more time without necessarily having a full open city to explore..

Jexx21
04-04-2012, 06:15 AM

please shut the hell up, you aren't getting anywhere with this sort of attitude.

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 06:19 AM
please shut the hell up, you aren't getting anywhere with this sort of attitude.
Lets not try to ignite anything, now..

Jexx21
04-04-2012, 06:21 AM
gah, sorry. I just hate the way people respond to others sometime. doesn't help that my reaction is normally to respond in a similar or worse way.

yay for hypocrisy!

pirate1802
04-04-2012, 06:27 AM
AC III with a flown-blown modern city ? Not gonna happen..
Desmond can get more time without necessarily having a full open city to explore..

I agree. Personally I love the ancestral part more, but there are people who love the modern-day part and they are entitled to their opinions, but I don't simply see them making a full-fledged modern-day city with people, cars and countless other details. Anyways, doesn't Desmond have to stop a global catastrophe which is scheduled to hit in a few days? What is he doing roaming then?

Also, more Desmond sections doesn't necessarily mean a full city. You can have a limited environment yet have more and better Desmond gameplay.

infamous_ezio
04-04-2012, 06:29 AM

It's actually the opposite, AC is about a man reliving the lives of his ancestors in order to prevent the world from ending in 2012. In saying that, the historical side is needed in order to make the modern day portion of the game brilliant. I prefer the modern day part, the story development is absolutely brilliant. I'm glad where gonna see more of desmond, it makes alot of sense, the game could work if it was just modern day, but because desmond still needs to locate other temples and all that, putting him back into the animus just gives the game that much more excitement.
At this point in time i'm not concerned with spoiling the game for myself, but i really am curious as to how their going to implement lucy's betrayal into AC3..

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 06:35 AM
It's actually the opposite, AC is about a man reliving the lives of his ancestors in order to prevent the world from ending in 2012. In saying that, the historical side is needed in order to make the modern day portion of the game brilliant. I prefer the modern day part, the story development is absolutely brilliant. I'm glad where gonna see more of desmond, it makes alot of sense, the game could work if it was just modern day, but because desmond still needs to locate other temples and all that, putting him back into the animus just gives the game that much more excitement.
At this point in time i'm not concerned with spoiling the game for myself, but i really am curious as to how their going to implement lucy's betrayal into AC3..
Both the Modern-day portion and ancient-times portion are essential..
They both complete each other, the 2 make what was called "Assassins Creed"
If it was one or the other then it wouldn't `t be Assassins Creed..

rain89c
04-04-2012, 06:41 AM
I actually think the historical parts are more essential to the series seeing as how every AC game up to this point has put 90% of the emphasis on the historical play.
So the historical part is the charm of AC.
Only difference is that AC3 is Desmond's last game which requires him to solve a lot of problems in game, so I think a fully loaded modern city for Desmond to platform and free roam in would give balance to AC3's historical platforming and modern platforming, i think that would be a good for the game's main story.

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 06:44 AM
I actually think the historical parts are more essential to the series seeing as how every AC game up to this point has put 90% of the emphasis on the historical play.
So the historical is the charm of AC.
Only difference is that AC3 is Desmond's last game which requires him to solve a lot of problems in game, so I think a fully loaded modern city for Desmond to platform and free roam in would give balance to AC3's historical platforming and modern platforming, i think that would be a charm for AC series.
Quantity was never the definition of essential..
Its not about which one gets more time or space, the Ancient-times part cannot survive without the Modern-day part and vice versa..
I mean one without the other work as decent video games, but then it wont be Assassins Creed anymore..

rain89c
04-04-2012, 06:52 AM
Quantity was never the definition of essential..
Its not about which one gets more time or space, the Ancient-times part cannot survive without the Modern-day part and vice versa..
I mean one without the other work as decent video games, but then it wont be Assassins Creed anymore..
mmkay, i see the modern play being essential to the storyline, but the historical play being essential to the player-base.

infamous_ezio
04-04-2012, 07:04 AM

Really? i wasn't aware of that, considering i pretty much stated that.. but thanks for reminding me -.-...
All i'm saying is that the game is based around desmond, and in order for desmond to play his role he needs to revisit the memories of his ancestors, they really could of gone 2 ways in this game, considering desmond is at that point where he knows what to do, for AC3 having another ancestor could have been avoided, but as i said, it gives the game a much better touch...

lukaszep
04-04-2012, 08:33 AM

I don't believe they said it gave the engine technical problems, i thought they said the problem was in game play (which they fixed by adding trees).

I don't see why they couldn't have an open modern day city. Obviously they couldn't have the whole city, to scale. But a small section is possible right? Skyscrapers wouldn't really be a problem, because you wouldn't need to climb them anyway, so they can essentially be part of the sky box or something right? I'm probably overlooking some really important things...

AdamXEve
04-04-2012, 08:35 AM

People need to stop with this. The focus of these games is Desmond; it is the historical periods that give his story backbone, not the other way around.

freddie_1897
04-04-2012, 08:36 AM
personally if there were two games-Ancestral assassins creed and modern day assassins creed, i would buy the first one because so many games do the modern era and barely any games do the past like AC do.

i have to agree with Isaac, the modern day story is fun, but its the ancestral part over the modern day part that makes this game special and popular

freddie_1897
04-04-2012, 08:37 AM
People need to stop with this. The focus of these games is Desmond; it is the historical periods that give his story backbone, not the other way around.
yes, the game is based on Desmond, but Desmond isn't why the game is popular, its popular because of the historical periods

AdamXEve
04-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Cool story bro, but I disagree with you.

freddie_1897
04-04-2012, 08:43 AM
Cool story bro, but I disagree with you.
okay, here is a test,

would you rather buy...

An assassins creed game just in the modern day

An assassins creed game just in the past

yes they are both fun, but the past is what makes Assassins creed famous, thats not opinion, thats fact, Assassins creed would be nothing without the past, whereas without the modern day, assassins creed would still work, and would still be fun

AdamXEve
04-04-2012, 08:47 AM
I wouldn't buy either of those games because neither of them have the quality that I love in Assassin's Creed. And actually, no. It's not a fact. And it IS the very DEFINITION of an opinion.

Assassin's Creed would not be Assassin's Creed to many people without the modern-day aspect. Sorry.

freddie_1897
04-04-2012, 08:51 AM
and that there is opinion, look, the historical periods is what makes this game, sure, maybe not as good plot twists but the past is what makes the game unique and special

now i don't really want to start a flame war so lets just agree to disagree

AdamXEve
04-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Obviously, but you're still missing my point. It's not a fact that the historical periods make the game. That is just your opinion. In my opinion and many others, both sides are equally integral with the most importance leaning on Desmond. I'm not disputing your right to your opinion, I simply want you to stop presenting it as if it were a fact that everyone's favorite parts of the games is the historical periods. That's not true.

GeneralTrumbo
04-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Assassins Creed would be nothing without the modern-day conspiracy-filled story. Assassins Creed would be nothing without exploring the past. Although, the past leans on the modern-day story. If the modern-day story didn't go to America, neither would the past. Desmond will get more gameplay in AC3 because it is his last game and he needs justice.

freddie_1897
04-04-2012, 09:47 AM
im not saying i don't like the modern day story, I'm just saying that i think the historical periods is a more important part of assassins creed, but your welcome to disagree

Sukramo
04-04-2012, 09:52 AM
For every game and now most recently, the lost archive, the modern day stakes have been getting higer and higher. Personaly I think its a mistake to not give Desmond more attention in his last game. Ultimately Connor will most likely only be played through so Desmond can do...............something, but Connor will be the focus of the game. I think that is backwards.

cless711
04-04-2012, 10:15 AM
I don't get why people say that Assassins Creed would be fine with just the past portion of the game or only the modern day portion. Assassins Creed needs both past and modern day portions (if not modern day, than a time when the animus was around). The modern day segments of Assassins Creed gives the game a nice breath of fresh air from the past segments. If the an assassins creed game is just about the past... (Like some handheld games out there) The greatness of the gameplay will soon wear off little by little. The reason for that, at least in my opinion, is because the modern day segments just add something new to the game. I may be wrong in some people's eyes, but I stand with my opinion, and in the end, its just an opinion.

As for Desmond having a city for himself to free-run and explore, I have mixed feelings about it.. If they do it right, it could be awesome, but don't turn it into GTA Assassins creed..

Dosenwabe
04-04-2012, 10:48 AM
You have to understand that itīs all the same story. History is not only divided into "Past" and "Present" ,itīs an ongoing process and every period is an important part of it. Desmond is just continuing the fight of his ancestors, itīs the very same storyline. It doesnīt matter if you like the Middle Ages part or the 2000s part of it more, or the Colonial part or the French Revolution part because itīs the same story going over thousands of years: The battle between Templars and Assassins and the truth about a better world for the people. About Morality and a fight for freedom. "Nothing is true.Everything is permitted" Isnīt that what we learned? Or should have learned?
Thatīs why I love HISTORY, which is still going on, even in 2012. We are still part of our ancestors history. And thatīs why I love the games too: To learn about the past, to understand the present.
That were my thoughts at least for the story part.

For the gameplay: If I see which passion Ubi is putting into historical research and accuracy (Database), and atmosphere of every rebuilt historical city, (to see in their Artbooks too) and the percentage of 10/90 for Desmond/Ancestor gameplay, i would really say their focus is on past settings.

Please take my f***** money dear Ubisoft and give me more games!

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 11:05 AM
You have to understand that itīs all the same story. History is not only divided into "Past" and "Present" ,itīs an ongoing process and every period is an important part of it. Desmond is just continuing the fight of his ancestors, itīs the very same storyline. It doesnīt matter if you like the Middle Ages part or the 2000s part of it more, or the Colonial part or the French Revolution part because itīs the same story going over thousands of years: The battle between Templars and Assassins and the truth about a better world for the people. About Morality and a fight for freedom. "Nothing is true.Everything is permitted" Isnīt that what we learned? Or should have learned?
Thatīs why I love HISTORY, which is still going on, even in 2012. We are still part of our ancestors history. And thatīs why I love the games too: To learn about the past, to understand the present.
That were my thoughts at least for the story part.

For the gameplay: If I see which passion Ubi is putting into historical research and accuracy (Database), and atmosphere of every rebuilt historical city, (to see in their Artbooks too) and the percentage of 10/90 for Desmond/Ancestor gameplay, i would really say their focus is on past settings.

Please take my f***** money dear Ubisoft and give me more games!
*sheds a tear*

OriginalMiles
04-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Not sure about a free-roam with Desmond, even though Desmond is my favourite character, but an option to exit the Animus would be cool.

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Not sure about a free-roam with Desmond, even though Desmond is my favourite character, but an option to exit the Animus would be cool.
Free-roam wont happen..
It Can`t happen..

OriginalMiles
04-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Free-roam wont happen..
It Can`t happen..
That's why I said I'm not sure.

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 11:26 AM
That's why I said I'm not sure.
Ok, sorry..

FaceEmperor
04-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Soooo why not free roam?! U can free roam with desmond in acb and in acr(on the island where is nothing to do but anyway :) )
So if we can free roam with Desmond it will probably be a "small" area, not a whole city! Even i kinda hope so we could...

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Soooo why not free roam?! U can free roam with desmond in acb and in acr(on the island where is nothing to do but anyway :) )
So if we can free roam with Desmond it will probably be a "small" area, not a whole city! Even i kinda hope so we could...
Sorry I should`v been more specific..
I meant Full-blown Free roam in NYC..

FaceEmperor
04-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Would be awsome, just no idea how can u make "modern city" into a parkour playground, glass walls are hard to climb

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Would be awsome, just no idea how can u make "modern city" into a parkour playground, glass walls are hard to climb
The hindrance is not the Parkour..
There are some Decent Modern-time games that depict Parkour perfectly and somewhat believable..
Its about time, resources and relevance..

pacmanate
04-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Put it this way, the only Desmond modern day segments we need will be ones relevant to the story. For ubisoft to make a full modern day city which will be pretty much empty will make no sense

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Put it this way, the only Desmond modern day segments we need will be ones relevant to the story. For ubisoft to make a full modern day city which will be pretty much empty will make no sense
^THIS !!
Thank you..

infamous_ezio
04-04-2012, 01:09 PM

exactly! Everyone seems to be getting the complete wrong idea

pirate1802
04-04-2012, 03:15 PM
okay, here is a test,

would you rather buy...

An assassins creed game just in the modern day

An assassins creed game just in the past

yes they are both fun, but the past is what makes Assassins creed famous, thats not opinion, thats fact, Assassins creed would be nothing without the past, whereas without the modern day, assassins creed would still work, and would still be fun

I'd buy an AC game with just the past without a second thought.

Sajn12
04-04-2012, 03:19 PM
It's possible. It would be nice... for me :)

Sukramo
04-04-2012, 04:25 PM
I'd buy an AC game with just the past without a second thought.

And I would buy an AC game with just the modern time without a second thought.

pirate1802
04-04-2012, 04:26 PM
And I would buy an AC game with just the modern time without a second thought.

Your welcome to do that :P

Sukramo
04-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Your welcome to do that :P

Desmond is the main character, not Altair, Ezio or Connor. Desmond deserves more than Ubisoft will give him, a game of his own.

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Desmond is the main character, not Altair, Ezio or Connor. Desmond deserves more than Ubisoft will give him, a game of his own.
What you do not understand is that Every game is Desmond`s own..

Sukramo
04-04-2012, 04:41 PM
What you do not understand is that Every game is Desmond`s own..

Hes in them, but he isnt the main star, just for once I want him to take his time is the spotlight.

Than Ubisoft suddendly creates Connor and decides he is the final big star. Meh.

Yes, they promised us more Desmond than ever before, but the modern day conflict deserves a game of its own, maybe ever more, Abstergo is really powerful.

Dont get me wrong, I think Connor will be awesome but I also think Desmond should be the big protaganist in his last game......

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Hes in them, but he isnt the main star, just for once I want him to take his time is the spotlight.

Than Ubisoft suddendly creates Connor and decides he is the final big star. Meh.

Yes, they promised us more Desmond than ever before, but the modern day conflict deserves a game of its own, maybe ever more, Abstergo is really powerful.
You really want Abstergo to be destroyed ?
What ? you dont want more Assassins Creed games ?
Desmond`s role is to stop the Solar Flare not take down the templars..

UrDeviant1
04-04-2012, 04:50 PM

It's not to "stop" It exactly, you can't "stop" a solar flare from happening. Just to prevent It from causing maximum damage.

LightRey
04-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Yeah. Besides, there is absolutely no way Desmond could ever stop all the Templars.

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 04:51 PM
It's not to "stop" It exactly, you can't "stop" a solar flare from happening. Just to prevent It from causing maximum damage.
Forgive my poor choice of wording..

UrDeviant1
04-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Forgive my poor choice of wording..

It was out the ordinary for you, so I thought I'd mention It :P

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 04:55 PM
It was out the ordinary for you, so I thought I'd mention It :P
Yeah thanks... must be that drink I had before College xD

notafanboy
04-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Desmond is just a plot device, an excuse to visit different time periods and cities.

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Desmond is just a plot device, an excuse to visit different time periods and cities.
Ahahahahaha............ No
replace "Desmond" with "Animus"

pirate1802
04-04-2012, 05:10 PM

Dont get me wrong, I think Connor will be awesome but I also think Desmond should be the big protaganist in his last game......

An AC game set totally in present wouldn't be much different than SC. The mixture of past and present is what makes AC. And that is why it will be so in every game.

notafanboy
04-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Replace "Desmond" with "Animus"

doesnīt really matter to be honest

freddie_1897
04-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Replace "Desmond" with "Animus"
both your post, and notafanboys are opinions, if you don't agree with him, fine, but don't tell him he's wrong, its his opinion

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 05:39 PM
both your post, and notafanboys are opinions, if you don't agree with him, fine, but don't tell him he's wrong, its his opinion
He didnt present his post as an Opinion..
So it`d be normal that I wouldnt as well..

freddie_1897
04-04-2012, 05:42 PM
He didnt present his post as an Opinion..
So it`d be normal that I wouldnt as well..
then that makes you just as bad as him

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 05:44 PM
then that makes you just as bad as him
No it doesnt..
He`s not "bad" actually..
Nothing is bad about presenting an Opinion as fact and then someone comes out to argue your reasoning..

freddie_1897
04-04-2012, 05:46 PM
No it doesnt..
He`s not "bad" actually..
Nothing is bad about presenting an Opinion as fact and then someone comes out to argue your reasoning..
you weren't arguing with his reasoning, you laughed and told him he was wrong

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Hmmm I guess that laugh came about as arrogant, but no it wasnt really..
and to the "No" thats what arguing is all about, Something is given and someone says "no"

freddie_1897
04-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Hmmm I guess that laugh came about as arrogant, but no it wasnt really..
and to the "No" thats what arguing is all about, Something is given and someone says "no"
were arguing right now! if we followed your idea of an argument we'd just be saying 'no' to each other over and over again

tH3PatRi0Tx1776
04-04-2012, 05:52 PM

But he was wrong...the plot device is the Animus...you can tell it is since the first game. I'm pretty sure Corey May said it was too and that makes it a fact. Desmond is the main character in this story arch and the animus is the plot device that allows the main character to access the other characters story. Corey May has also said that Desmond is the main character too, hence opening the games with Desmond saying "this is MY story". From the viewpoint of a writer, it is very apparent that the Animus is the plot device, not Desmond.

freddie_1897
04-04-2012, 05:53 PM
But he was wrong...the plot device is the Animus...you can tell it is since the first game. I'm pretty sure Corey May said it was too and that makes it a fact. Desmond is the main character in this story arch and the animus is the plot device that allows the main character to access the other characters story. Corey May has also said that Desmond is the main character too, hence opening the games with Desmond saying "this is MY story". From the viewpoint of a writer, it is very apparent that the Animus is the plot device, not Desmond.
no, he's not wrong, its opinion, i don't necessarily agree with him, but I'm not gonna tell him he's wrong if its an opinion
and i don't think he meant it like that, i think he meant that the past is more important to assassins creed than the present

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 05:54 PM
were arguing right now! if we followed your idea of an argument we'd just be saying 'no' to each other over and over again
Because that is what an argument is..
A: one dog has 2 tails
B: No
Then presents evidence.. (argument)

freddie_1897
04-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Because that is what an argument is..
A: one dog has 2 tails
B: No
Then presents evidence.. (argument)
but you didn't present evidence! you laughed, told him he was wrong, and told him to switch the word desmond with animus!

tH3PatRi0Tx1776
04-04-2012, 05:56 PM
no, he's not wrong, its opinion, i don't necessarily agree with him, but I'm not gonna tell him he's wrong if its an opinion

But opinions can many times be wrong, if you have an opinion, like say, "the moon is made of cheese", you are obviously wrong because it isn't made of cheese, so opinions can be wrong when they go against facts.

freddie_1897
04-04-2012, 05:57 PM
But opinions can many times be wrong, if you have an opinion, like say, "the moon is made of cheese", you are obviously wrong because it isn't made of cheese, so opinions can be wrong when they go against facts.
i know, had you read the 2nd part of my post then you'd probably see why i said it was an opinion

notafanboy
04-04-2012, 05:58 PM
what i meant to say was that Desmond is an excuse for visiting more awesome and interesting time periods and characters.

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 05:59 PM
but you didn't present evidence! you laughed, told him he was wrong, and told him to switch the word desmond with animus!
I do not present unless asked to..
and I didnt order him, mind you, I suggested it

freddie_1897
04-04-2012, 06:00 PM
I do not present unless asked to..
and I didnt order him, mind you, I suggested it by using the word "should"
could you present evidence?

KillGhast
04-04-2012, 06:08 PM
what i meant to say was that Desmond is an excuse for visiting more awesome and interesting time periods and characters.

This^^
I also stay with the fact that connor is the main character. If desmond is the main one, then why not put him on the cover? Like someone else said, dont make the game Gta-like by making a freeroam with desmond. its cool to play some parts as him but i buy the game for the history stuff.

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 06:10 PM
could you present evidence?
The Brotherhood Game Informer Article from 2 years ago..

tH3PatRi0Tx1776
04-04-2012, 06:13 PM
So, everyone who is in favor of only the history portion of the game, clearly don't follow the story of AC or they don't really care about the story. There is a reason every game opens up with Desmond's Story. The past wouldn't make any sense without Desmond.

notafanboy
04-04-2012, 06:18 PM
But opinions can many times be wrong, if you have an opinion, like say,"the moon is made of cheese",you are obviously wrong because it isn't made of cheese, so opinions can be wrong when they go against facts.

yes it is...

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 06:23 PM
yes it is...
No xD :P

pacmanate
04-04-2012, 06:23 PM
This thread is going way off track. As I stated before, Desmond will have parts relevant to the plot line in the modern day, however Ubisoft will not be making a full blown empty city for him to explore. This isn't a spiderman game and there is no locomotion

tH3PatRi0Tx1776
04-04-2012, 06:24 PM
yes it is...
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lterkdMxFR1qgz9tno2_250.gif

LightRey
04-04-2012, 06:45 PM
There has actually been a study to see whether it was made of cheese. xD

UrDeviant1
04-04-2012, 06:46 PM
There has actually been a study to see whether it was made of cheese. xD

This doesn't surprise me.

AdamXEve
04-04-2012, 06:47 PM
You can't have opinions about objective things, for **** sake. Saying, "opinions can be wrong" is wrong. An opinion must be subjective. If you think you have an opinion about something which is clearly a fact, then you're just a moron.

notafanboy
04-04-2012, 06:54 PM
You can't have opinions about objective things, for **** sake. Saying, "opinions can be wrong" is wrong. An opinion must be subjective. If you think you have an opinion about something which is clearly a fact, then you're just a moron.

but the moon IS made of cheese. i know it, Iīve been there.

GeneralTrumbo
04-04-2012, 07:33 PM
In your opinion. THEY CAN NOT JUST END THE STORY NOW. I MYSELF WANT ANSWERS. SO DOES HALF THE COMMUNITY. Okay, what I am saying is that they must appeal to all audiences to make a great game! I love the modern-day sci-fi, and I also love the past!

Btw, I didn't notice that so many sites had such terrible journalism skills! =P You aren't supposed to be biased in journalism!

GeneralTrumbo
04-04-2012, 07:34 PM
This thread is going way off track. As I stated before, Desmond will have parts relevant to the plot line in the modern day, however Ubisoft will not be making a full blown empty city for him to explore. This isn't a spiderman game and there is no locomotion
"We have spent more time on the present than ever before."

mattahleen
04-04-2012, 08:17 PM
I remember I was worried there wouldnt be a lot of ancestor gameplay. Now im worried there wont be a lot of modern gameplay. Either way what is done is done. They are both fun. Ubi is perfectly capable of not turning either into lame cod. Their new engine, time window, and budget is perfectly capable of making New York Modern.

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Chew on this http://www.oxm.co.uk/40420/features/assassins-creed-3-boston-new-york-and-the-wilderness/

KillGhast
04-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Chew on this http://www.oxm.co.uk/40420/features/assassins-creed-3-boston-new-york-and-the-wilderness/

Sounds great!!! They're starting to tease us with information which makes me want to play it now!

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Sounds great!!! They're starting to tease us with information which makes me want to play it now!
Hopefully this`ll all culminate to a juicy gameplay video come PAX..

KillGhast
04-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Hopefully this`ll all culminate to a juicy gameplay video come PAX..

On one side I just can't wait for the gameplay from PAX but then if you see it, makes you want to instantly have the game... :/

Assassin_M
04-04-2012, 09:27 PM
On one side I just can't wait for the gameplay from PAX but then if you see it, makes you want to instantly have the game... :/
Just about any image, article, news, video about AC III makes me want the game more xD

KillGhast
04-04-2012, 10:12 PM
Just about any image, article, news, video about AC III makes me want the game more xD

Exactly what I think, never had this with any other game... :/
It's like getting money, once you have it you can't get enough of it! xD

TheHumanTowel
04-04-2012, 11:06 PM
I could talk about how I want Desmond to take a more active role and become more involved in the gameplay but what I really want is for him to put his hood up. Seriously for 5 years i've just watched it rest on his back doing nothing but taunt me at how awesome it would be if Desmond wore a hood like his ancestors. Ubisoft better deliver when he puts that hoood up you know ****s gonna go down.

GeneralTrumbo
04-04-2012, 11:10 PM
I could talk about how I want Desmond to take a more active role and become more involved in the gameplay but what I really want is for him to put his hood up. Seriously for 5 years i've just watched it rest on his back doing nothing but taunt me at how awesome it would be if Desmond wore a hood like his ancestors. Ubisoft better deliver when he puts that hoood up you know ****s gonna go down.
It wouldn't make sense for him to not have his hood up in what is supposedly his last game. And I definitely do want him to have more of a prominent role this time. I know Alex reads these forums, so here is the hint! DELIVER ON BOTH PARTS OF THE GAME.

TheHumanTowel
04-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Yes but the hood is clearly the priority.

UrDeviant1
04-04-2012, 11:31 PM
Yes but the hood is clearly the priority.

I hardly think It's a priority. There are other more Important things. Like his combat, narrative Oh and the whole point of him saving mankind.

TheHumanTowel
04-04-2012, 11:36 PM
I hardly think It's a priority. There are other more Important things. Like his combat, narrative Oh and the whole point of him saving mankind.
It was a joke man

UrDeviant1
04-04-2012, 11:52 PM
It was a joke man

Well when you talk about how much you want him to put his Hood up, and then say It's a priority, what am I supposed think? :P

GeneralTrumbo
04-05-2012, 12:31 AM
The hood makes up the assassin. It would make him feel like a true assassin if he put his hood up.

UrDeviant1
04-05-2012, 12:36 AM
The hood makes up the assassin. It would make him feel like a true assassin if he put his hood up.

That's obvious and Ubi know this. I'm sure they won't forget to put Desmond's hood up. Don't worry.

OriginalMiles
04-05-2012, 12:41 AM
That's obvious and Ubi know this. I'm sure they won't forget to put Desmond's hood up. Don't worry.
Not official, but I found fan art of Desmond with his hood up.

http://ar-0.deviantart.com/art/Desmond-Miles-Assassin-170422405

tarrero
04-05-2012, 01:43 AM
I guess is very possible to have alot of action with Desmond and I am looking forward to it, but to freeroam in a city with all the liberty that we use to? Not likely, at least on the same terms of the relieved memories, Do you wanna know why? You have to understand this: Could you imagine wandering on a HUGE city like New york or phillly, with all the skycrappers, cars, people etc etc like GTA or MAFIA, still have ALL climbing mechanics and yet ask for decent graphics? There is simply not enough memory or hardware to support it yet, that is why other sandbox/RPGīs liky skyrim, Red Dead Redemption, Batman, and GTA have bigger maps than AC, the climbing mechanics consume TONS of resources.

As I said, I would like to have some "quality" time with desmond, in fact, I am 99% sure it will occur, but I think that the next scenario is the most plausible: We may have some freeroam, like on ACB near the whereabouts of the temple ir "our" resting time, and then, we reach a city (Abstergo maybe) but with some "restrictions", similar to that of the Colosseumīs gameplay with desmond at the end of ACB.

Lord_Roose
04-05-2012, 02:25 AM
Desmond is not the main character of any of the games. It doesn't matter what the writers say, and it's not a matter of opinion.

I've never heard of a main character who's only seen in 1% of the story. That's just an absurd notion. Yes, you're 'technically' always playing as Desmond, but it's not his personality or story that's on display for the vast bulk of each game. The Desmond storyline is a meta-story. It's not the main focus. As someone already brought up, if Desmond were the main character, he'd be on the cover.

AC1 is about an arrogant assassin getting back in touch the Order's values while uncovering a mysterious conspiracy. 10+ hrs.These events happen to be of interest to modern day parties. 30 mins.
AC2 is about Ezio cutting his way through Italian hierarchies in a quest to avenge his family. 30+ hrs. These events happen to be of interest to modern day parties. 15 mins.
ACB is about Ezio dismantling the Borgia regime and rebuilding the Order. 20+ hrs. These events happen to be of interest to modern day parties.15 mins
ACR is about Ezio searching for ancient secrets and getting caught up in Ottoman intrigue. 15+ hrs. These events happen to be of interest to modern day parties. 45 mins? I ignored the Desmond puzzle sequences after doing two and almost falling asleep, so I can't accurately judge Desmond's gameplay time.

The Desmond stuff is a meta-plot that ties the games together. By no means is it the main event.

It's not insulting the Desmond story to say that he's not the main event. He just isn't. The hours are all you need to look at. People are entitled to like that storyline. Personally I think that it's twist-reliant, derivative nonsense lacking any depth in characterization or plotting. Maybe I just hate being lectured to by holograms (I'm looking at you, Mass Effect 3....)

pirate1802
04-05-2012, 04:47 AM
"We have spent more time on the present than ever before."

That doesn't necessarily mean they are making a full-blown modern day city. And frankly Desmond doesn't need one. How many games are there that didn't have free roam yet we enjoyed them to the core? I can think of many. Free roam is not a necessity for getting a great game nor the overall quality of Desmond sequences. You may not have free roam yet the Desmond sections can be better than ever before is what I'm saying.

GeneralTrumbo
04-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Desmond is not the main character of any of the games. It doesn't matter what the writers say, and it's not a matter of opinion.

I've never heard of a main character who's only seen in 1% of the story. That's just an absurd notion. Yes, you're 'technically' always playing as Desmond, but it's not his personality or story that's on display for the vast bulk of each game. The Desmond storyline is a meta-story. It's not the main focus. As someone already brought up, if Desmond were the main character, he'd be on the cover.

AC1 is about an arrogant assassin getting back in touch the Order's values while uncovering a mysterious conspiracy. 10+ hrs.These events happen to be of interest to modern day parties. 30 mins.
AC2 is about Ezio cutting his way through Italian hierarchies in a quest to avenge his family. 30+ hrs. These events happen to be of interest to modern day parties. 15 mins.
ACB is about Ezio dismantling the Borgia regime and rebuilding the Order. 20+ hrs. These events happen to be of interest to modern day parties.15 mins
ACR is about Ezio searching for ancient secrets and getting caught up in Ottoman intrigue. 15+ hrs. These events happen to be of interest to modern day parties. 45 mins? I ignored the Desmond puzzle sequences after doing two and almost falling asleep, so I can't accurately judge Desmond's gameplay time.

The Desmond stuff is a meta-plot that ties the games together. By no means is it the main event.

It's not insulting the Desmond story to say that he's not the main event. He just isn't. The hours are all you need to look at. People are entitled to like that storyline. Personally I think that it's twist-reliant, derivative nonsense lacking any depth in characterization or plotting. Maybe I just hate being lectured to by holograms (I'm looking at you, Mass Effect 3....)
Yes, the writers do decide the main plot. If you write a story, you are in charge of that story. YOU decide the main plot. The ANIMUS is the plot device, not Desmond or the modern day story. They have even said this themselves, I believe. Throughout all the ACs, we are just trying to help Desmond grow into a master assassin. If the cards are played right, he will be one in AC3.

That doesn't necessarily mean they are making a full-blown modern day city. And frankly Desmond doesn't need one. How many games are there that didn't have free roam yet we enjoyed them to the core? I can think of many. Free roam is not a necessity for getting a great game nor the overall quality of Desmond sequences. You may not have free roam yet the Desmond sections can be better than ever before is what I'm saying.
It would still be nice to at least get an area as big as montigerroni or slightly bigger to free-roam.

OriginalMiles
04-05-2012, 08:22 PM
How about Desmond can free-roam around the countryside by the Temple (assuming Desmond and the others are in the Van most of the game), using (if he gets them) Connor's tree climbing skills.

rileypoole1234
04-05-2012, 08:31 PM

Ubisoft has always said that the main character is Desmond. He is the main character. We're only experiencing the memories to help Desmond save the world. However you put it, at this time, Desmond is the main character of Assassin's Creed. He is the whole point to the AC's so far.

GeneralTrumbo
04-05-2012, 08:36 PM
How about Desmond can free-roam around the countryside by the Temple (assuming Desmond and the others are in the Van most of the game), using (if he gets them) Connor's tree climbing skills.
That would be pretty awesome.

GeneralTrumbo
04-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Ubisoft has always said that the main character is Desmond. He is the main character. We're only experiencing the memories to help Desmond save the world. However you put it, at this time, Desmond is the main character of Assassin's Creed. He is the whole point to the AC's so far.
Exactly.

KillGhast
04-05-2012, 09:07 PM
Oh god if hes the main character then why give him a few small things to do. desmond is just an excuse to make the story work. its all about the.templars and the assassins.

UrDeviant1
04-05-2012, 09:09 PM
I wouldn't be surprised If Desmond just turns out to be another Conduit.

KillGhast
04-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Desmond is just something they.added to make a refreshing and new game. I play the game to be the.assasin. desmond is just trying to save t he world but he doesnt do anything besides laying on the animus to go back to the past...

Lord_Roose
04-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Ubisoft has always said that the main character is Desmond. He is the main character. We're only experiencing the memories to help Desmond save the world. However you put it, at this time, Desmond is the main character of Assassin's Creed. He is the whole point to the AC's so far.It doesn't matter what Ubisoft says. They don't get to define the term 'main character' or 'protagonist.' You didn't respond to any of my points. Desmond as the whole point to AC? That seems a little far-fetched. Desmond is a frame. A convenient device that lets Ubisoft point at AC and say 'This is one story.' If there's any 'point' to AC, it would be the age-old war between Assassins and Templars. Free will vs. domination. Each game functions as an episode in this conflict, with the end of the world and TWCB nonsense tacked on in order to ramp up Desmond's importance.

In the end, whether or not he's the main character comes down to simple math, which I've already done. You didn't respond.

To say that Desmond is the main character is kind of like saying that the grandfather reading aloud is the main character in 'The Princess Pride.'

GeneralTrumbo
04-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Desmond is just something they.added to make a refreshing and new game. I play the game to be the.assasin. desmond is just trying to save t he world but he doesnt do anything besides laying on the animus to go back to the past...
You don't understand anything. You need to do some research. Because, last time I checked, Desmond was an assassin. All the games have been him training to work his way up to a point where he can be a master assassin. He is at that point now, fool.

GeneralTrumbo
04-05-2012, 09:27 PM
It doesn't matter what Ubisoft says. They don't get to define the term 'main character' or 'protagonist.' You didn't respond to any of my points. Desmond as the whole point to AC? That seems a little far-fetched. Desmond is a frame. A convenient device that lets Ubisoft point at AC and say 'This is one story.' If there's any 'point' to AC, it would be the age-old war between Assassins and Templars. Free will vs. domination. Each game functions as an episode in this conflict, with the end of the world and TWCB nonsense tacked on in order to ramp up Desmond's importance.

In the end, whether or not he's the main character comes down to simple math, which I've already done. You didn't respond.

To say that Desmond is the main character is kind of like saying that the grandfather reading aloud is the main character in 'The Princess Pride.'
Desmond is the main character of the franchise as the whole. According to your logic, Ezio would still be the main character. Desmond is the main character and that is the reason he has transferred throughout all installments. The fact that their amping up his screentime shows that.

KillGhast
04-05-2012, 09:33 PM
You don't understand anything. You need to do some research. Because, last time I checked, Desmond was an assassin. All the games have been him training to work his way up to a point where he can be a master assassin. He is at that point now, fool.

Don't need to get personal now, I'm just saying that he's just a part of the story. Sorry that I'm not obsessed with getting information about Assassin's Creed's history. So you're saying that he will be the main character and that he will assassinate people etc etc in AC III. He's an assassin in the modern part of the story, that's all.
Don't act so childish if someone doesn't share the opinion like you. Every **** post from you revolves around Desmond, are you in love with him or what? It's a freaking game, get over it.

GeneralTrumbo
04-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Don't need to get personal now, I'm just saying that he's just a part of the story. Sorry that I'm not obsessed with getting information about Assassin's Creed's history. So you're saying that he will be the main character and that he will assassinate people etc etc in AC III. He's an assassin in the modern part of the story, that's all.
Don't act so childish if someone doesn't share the opinion like you. Every **** post from you revolves around Desmond, are you in love with him or what? It's a freaking game, get over it.
I know its a game and I am sharing my opinion, which is that they should amp up his screentime, just like you suggest things to the developers. He will in fact need to assassinate some people, seeing as there are some antagonists in the modern-day story at the moment. You don't have to be obsessed, by the way, to just know some more about the history. "Ignorance comes when you don't understand something."

KillGhast
04-05-2012, 09:41 PM
To be honest, I don't know the whole story of AC, I do understand he's trying to stop the templars in the modern day period and stopping disasters from happening. My opinion is that the AC franchise is the best of all games. It's refreshing and something different to play as Desmond and I love that part also of the game but don't spend hours of gameplay just him trying to save the world and stopping templars.

GeneralTrumbo
04-05-2012, 09:44 PM
To be honest, I don't know the whole story of AC, I do understand he's trying to stop the templars in the modern day period and stopping disasters from happening. My opinion is that the AC franchise is the best of all games. It's refreshing and something different to play as Desmond and I love that part also of the game but don't spend hours of gameplay just him trying to save the world and stopping templars.
Ubisoft knows how to deliver a story good. We don't have to worry about pacing. Sorry for rubbing off as a jerk.

KillGhast
04-05-2012, 09:56 PM
I know they deliver great stories but it sounds complicating, I understand everything but then afterwards I don't. xD

No problem, I just want to know more about AC. I know the main plot but can't conclude what the purpose is of Desmond.

Lord_Roose
04-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Desmond is the main character of the franchise as the whole. According to your logic, Ezio would still be the main character. Desmond is the main character and that is the reason he has transferred throughout all installments. The fact that their amping up his screentime shows that.No, you're misapplying the logic. It's a game-by-game thing. Altair is the main character of AC1, Ezio of AC2, ACB, and ACR, and Connor of AC3.

Main character of the series as a whole? There isn't really one. But Ezio is the closest there is.

LightRey
04-05-2012, 10:12 PM
No, you're misapplying the logic. It's a game-by-game thing. Altair is the main character of AC1, Ezio of AC2, ACB, and ACR, and Connor of AC3.

Main character of the series as a whole? There isn't really one. But Ezio is the closest there is.
Eh, no. The main character of the series as a whole really is Desmond. Every bit of the overarching story is focused on and around Desmond.

GeneralTrumbo
04-05-2012, 10:20 PM
I know they deliver great stories but it sounds complicating, I understand everything but then afterwards I don't. xD

No problem, I just want to know more about AC. I know the main plot but can't conclude what the purpose is of Desmond.
Desmond is the convergence of several different assassins throughout history. In his DNA lies the key to humanity itself. He, at the moment, is trying to get enough information before he saves the world from a solar flare/satellite launch. At this point, he is working his way up to Master Assassin.

KillGhast
04-05-2012, 10:45 PM
That explains a bit more, thanks!

GeneralTrumbo
04-05-2012, 11:34 PM
That explains a bit more, thanks!
No problem. =)

infamous_ezio
04-06-2012, 05:28 AM
No, you're misapplying the logic. It's a game-by-game thing. Altair is the main character of AC1, Ezio of AC2, ACB, and ACR, and Connor of AC3.

The game is centered around desmond, he is searching his memories for the answeres for him to save the world.....