PDA

View Full Version : Will AC3 have DRM?

lavenders2
04-04-2012, 03:18 AM
So after the recent success of the DRM-less Rayman Origins, I have to wonder whether Ubisoft has the guts to remove the DRM for AC3. If they did, I know many people who would instantly purchase the game, including myself. I also know many people who would not even think about purchasing the game if the DRM did exist. I really don't see the need for the DRM to be in AC3, or any other Ubisoft game, as it only seems to hinder those who really want to enjoy the game.

With that said, what do you think? Will UBI step up to the plate and be the PC saviours? Or will they drop to the low social status of the consoles, leaving the higher social status PC gamers in the dust, whom UBI have relied on in the past to keep them alive?

Jexx21
04-04-2012, 07:38 AM
Err... does this mean abandoning the always online thing or uPlay?

Because uPlay is awesome. The always online thing isn't, and they abandoned that with Brotherhood and revelations.

ace3001
04-06-2012, 05:28 PM
There will be some form of DRM, obviously, but neither ACB nor ACR had any restrictive DRM. No always online nonsense. If you don't play MP, just switch the Ubisoft Game Launcher to Offline Mode, (you'll need one time online access) and you're good to go. If you play MP, of course you'll need online access.

FuuKuy
04-08-2012, 11:32 PM
I just want Ubisoft get rid of any DRM and embrace STEAMworks. Is what PC gamers want.

n0efail
04-09-2012, 01:36 AM
I just want Ubisoft get rid of any DRM and embrace STEAMworks. Is what PC gamers want.

^^ this. I've come to the realization that ubisoft still thinks that DRM prevents piracy and will never remove DRM of some form. However, if we need it, use Steam. Most PC gamers use steam and play steam games. It would keep those who buy your games happy and continue to buy your games. Draconian DRM makes us look at similar titles not created by you

Razrback16
04-09-2012, 12:55 PM

Speak for yourself. :) I hate Steam, and will not purchase games on their network.

Razrback16
04-09-2012, 12:57 PM
I think Ubisoft will probably incorporate DRM. I have a hard time seeing them not having any DRM...just isn't their MO. I'm glad they reduced the level of intrusiveness of the DRM with ACB & ACR -- both of those games were far more tolerable -- enough where I was willing to buy both games on release day as opposed to waiting for the games to drop to $20 on Amazon as I had with AC2 in response to the DRM.

lavenders2
04-10-2012, 06:26 AM
Err... does this mean abandoning the always online thing or uPlay?

Because uPlay is awesome. The always online thing isn't, and they abandoned that with Brotherhood and revelations.

No, uPlay is not awesome. At all. They basically chuck a bunch of features on top of it to make it "sound" awesome, when in reality they could just add it to the games...
The always online thing is not in AC thankfully, and it is far more tolerable, mostly because that is standard practice nowadays. You validate the game online, and never have to see the game online again unless it is for multiplayer or updates. But UBI like to throw in some extra content and whatnot in uPlay, meaning you are not getting the full experience if you play offline. This is what I don't want to see in AC3.

I am more than happy with the fact that DRM is there, and more than happy with having to authenticate online only once. I'm not so happy with them putting extras into the uPlay thing, making it seem really good, and encouraging people not familiar with the DRM that UBI use to like it and "think" it is good for them when in reality it is not.

I think SinoK said it perfectly. They need to just use steamworks as their DRM. Pirating games on steam is a pain, because pirating one game that is steam only can screw up your steam client. Pirating games from uPlay just makes them better.