PDA

View Full Version : The Future of Gaming

Poodle_of_Doom
04-03-2012, 04:06 AM
Just found an interesting article online:

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/hello-brave-world-console-gaming-003839870.html

What do you all think? Personally, I think it would make AC4 a little hard to get for me...

frogger504
04-03-2012, 04:49 AM
Ah yes, I read that. So long as the WiiU doesn't do it I shall continue to play games, with Nintendo anyways.

gamertam
04-03-2012, 05:41 AM
Okay i guess it will happen sooner or later. Fine i'll give mine thoughts.
First off, let's break down into equal parts rather than lump up into a ball of lints.
The gaming industry needs to look at themselves in the mirror and goes for the consumers too.
I don't want games to go away and i'm sure neither do you. Maybe both sides can compromises a bit with understanding we can actually comes up with a solution. If the gaming industry keeps pushing and pushing. There won't be any consumers left to purchases their products. Geez i wonder why it starting to tank now...hm.

frogger504
04-03-2012, 06:05 AM
Okay i guess it will happen sooner or later. Fine i'll give mine thoughts.
First off, let's break down into equal parts rather than lump up into a ball of lints.
The gaming industry needs to look at themselves in the mirror and goes for the consumers too.
I don't want games to go away and i'm sure neither do you. Maybe both sides can compromises a bit with understanding we can actually comes up with a solution. If the gaming industry keeps pushing and pushing. There won't be any consumers left to purchases their products. Geez i wonder why it starting to tank now...hm.

The only problem with that is that the only actual factor is the consumer.

An industry can't think.

gamertam
04-03-2012, 06:12 AM
The only problem with that is that the only actual factor is the consumer.

An industry can't think.

huh? clarify please.
so it comes down to money, correct?
consumers can't spend what they don't have...money
let's take this into PM. cool?

LordWolv
04-03-2012, 06:19 AM
They are doing this for themselves and the game developers, which is absolutely fine.
All decisions a business will make will have a good effect on themselves, even if it seems they're 'doing it for the people'. Every time a used game is sold the developers of said game get no cut, and so are losing out on millions of dollars they would otherwise have. It's the same situation for Microsoft and Sony, losing out on money through used games.

What did you expect?
It was going to happen at some point, because as the used game market grew the money companies were bringing in shrank. By Microsoft and Sony preventing used games they are doing themselves and neighbouring game developers a favour. And remember, that's all businesses want.

Now you shout 'What about the consumer!'
Technically, if game developers are bringing in a lot more money, more money will be spent on the games which will probably end up in a better game. But other than that single point, I guess we'll just have to spend a bit more for a better game. Oh no, end of the world.

Poodle_of_Doom
04-03-2012, 06:20 AM
The problem isn't necessarily the consumer, or lack of money available to them. It's the shady guy in the dark ally dealing out faux copies. Personally, I think that there should be more lawsuits, and the savings passed onto the rest of us. Sue the shady back ally merchant, get ten mill... drop the price of our games by five bucks. Not that it will ever happen. But for Christ's sake... The law here in the US gives a $250,000 fine, and up to five years in a federal prison. On top of that, you'd have a lawsuit from Ubisoft. And who wants to go to jail with that,.... I mean seriously... "What you in here for boy?"; "Copyright infringment...."

frogger504
04-03-2012, 06:35 AM
huh? clarify please.
so it comes down to money, correct?
consumers can't spend what they don't have...money
let's take this into PM. cool?

I agree with what you were saying, but what people are forgetting is that people are what matter, not what we call the "industry" but the consumer itself.

The industry should change according to the consumer, not the other way around. Currently it is the other way around, making changes to suit the "industry" and hindering the consumers.

At this point it is true that now we don't even own the products being given to us, it doesn't seem to be getting better any time soon.

Personally, I am going to stop buying games if/when this is implemented.

I disagree completely with that post ^

Jexx21
04-03-2012, 06:54 AM
Only negative thing about that is the always online deal, which if they're smart, they'll only require for the first activation of a game. As for the rest of it, that's great. I hate used games, none of the money go towards the developers and yet people play the games.

LordWolv
04-03-2012, 07:04 AM
The industry should change according to the consumer, not the other way around. Currently it is the other way around, making changes to suit the "industry" and hindering the consumers.
Wrong. As I explained, the point of business is money. If the industry wants to change, the market is forced to adapt, and so it will. This change will bring in masses more money to everyone except the game shops, which is a different industry to what Microsoft/Sony are concentrated on. Whether you like it or not everything they've done and will continue to do has am inevitable hook to make you buy something. If you're so against the industry adapting to make money, you shouldn't buy anything ever. This is one change of thousands, and just because you notice it you're suggesting you'll no longer buy games?

frogger504
04-03-2012, 07:15 AM
Wrong. As I explained, the point of business is money. If the industry wants to change, the market is forced to adapt, and so it will. This change will bring in masses more money to everyone except the game shops, which is a different industry to what Microsoft/Sony are concentrated on. Whether you like it or not everything they've done and will continue to do has am inevitable hook to make you buy something. If you're so against the industry adapting to make money, you shouldn't buy anything ever. This is one change of thousands, and just because you notice it you're suggesting you'll no longer buy games?

Not wrong, just a different opinion. I don't believe it should be the way you describe it.

Jexx21
04-03-2012, 07:17 AM
Also, frogger, I'd like to point out that UbiSoft's DRM for the PC initially functioned very much the same way. The PC already doesn't allow used games and requires a unique code once you get the game, but the UbiSoft DRM started out required you to be online to play games (such as Assassin's Creed 2). Later they adapted the DRM so it was just a simple online activation, which they use for the newer AC games (ACR + ACB) and some other games. They still use their old DRM for other games however though.

Just saying, combating piracy and used game sales is certainly not a bad thing. Honestly, I think that the whole industry should go digital. I know that there are some countries that have citizens that don't have access to internet easily, but games simply are a luxury that are not needed.

Poodle_of_Doom
04-03-2012, 03:14 PM
I wonder if all this could add up to a lawsuit. Seems to me as if larger companies are attempting to slight smaller ones like Gamestop via this tactic (not that Gamestop isn't already floundering).

Just saying, combating piracy and used game sales is certainly not a bad thing. Honestly, I think that the whole industry should go digital. I know that there are some countries that have citizens that don't have access to internet easily, but games simply are a luxury that are not needed.

Your comment reminded me of an old Foamy the Squirrel episode.

http://www.illwillpress.com/OWNSHIP22.html

Assassin_M
04-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Just saying, combating piracy and used game sales is certainly not a bad thing. Honestly, I think that the whole industry should go digital. I know that there are some countries that have citizens that don't have access to internet easily
I completely respect this..

LightRey
04-03-2012, 03:41 PM
I completely respect this..
The funny thing about it is that the main reasons for piracy are convenience and early access. Going completely digital would solve so many problems for the entertainment industry.

Assassin_M
04-03-2012, 03:44 PM
The funny thing about it is that the main reasons for piracy are convenience and early access. Going completely digital would solve so many problems for the entertainment industry.
Exactly..
There was work put into these products..
7 more posts now :P

LightRey
04-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Exactly..
There was work put into these products..
7 more posts now :P
You guys are keeping better track than I do. xD

Dtanobo
04-03-2012, 03:51 PM
From what I've heard in POSSIBLE additions and rumors, the new consoles could be a big step back in gaming. The fact that possibly we may need a constant internet connection to play games? I don't want everything to revolve around the **** internet. I love having the peace that I could venture around single player without lag or having to worry about internet connections. As much as I want companies and developers to make money to survive, they are just getting greedy now. I'm so happy AC3 is going to be on this gen console, so that I know that this masterpiece will be fine to purchase.

UrDeviant1
04-03-2012, 04:02 PM
I understand why Game Developers would want to do this, I mean they're a business above all else, and a business's objective Is to make fat stacks. But I kinda' feel bad for the people with the lower range of Income, who will be most affected by this. As for piracy though, that needs to be abolished.

LightRey
04-03-2012, 04:04 PM
From what I've heard in POSSIBLE additions and rumors, the new consoles could be a big step back in gaming. The fact that possibly we may need a constant internet connection to play games? I don't want everything to revolve around the **** internet. I love having the peace that I could venture around single player without lag or having to worry about internet connections. As much as I want companies and developers to make money to survive, they are just getting greedy now. I'm so happy AC3 is going to be on this gen console, so that I know that this masterpiece will be fine to purchase.
I doubt a constant internet connection will be necessary for console games. Consoles already have their own systems to make piracy difficult and it'll only become easier if they go completely digital. It's much easier to hack into a game on a PC because you generally don't need to be a good programmer, you just need to find the right program(s). This isn't the case with consoles. Just the fact that it takes more effort to hack into a console is enough to deter the bulk of the pirates.

Imo, it's very simple. If you make release dates a global standard and payment for/access to games easy, you'll basically have solved the problem of piracy.

D.I.D.
04-03-2012, 04:11 PM
As a PC owner, this is already my reality. I can't sell games, or buy them used, and I buy pretty much everything by direct download. And it's actually pretty good.

For one thing, my games come cheaper. Much cheaper. Two months after release, I was picking up top titles such as Batman: Arkham City and L.A. Noire for 8 each with all DLC included. There is heavy competition between these services, and they can afford to be far more agile with price movements than even Amazon.

The other plus is that I don't have to keep these things on my hard drive. I can delete the data, and there's a record online at the direct download shops from which I make my purchases, so I can reinstall them whenever I like.

Once everyone goes for digital distribution, there'll be no need to produce DLC except for true expansions - or at least, it will be much harder to justify them. This is what I'm looking forward to the most, since I really don't like my games being in pieces. Should the DLC support be dropped for any of my games, I might still have the original disc but I won't have the whole game.

On the subject of longevity, that's also a disadvantage. I'm taking the gamble that Steam will always be around in some form or other, and as the iTunes of DD it's a fairly good bet. However, what about Green Man Gaming and others? We've already seen some DD shops go under, so it's by no means certain, and not even the big three console manufacturers are necessarily going to be around forever.

pacmanate
04-03-2012, 05:19 PM
I will only discuss the future when it becomes the present :p

However kinda OT I really want to see the Wii U AC3 gameplay out

BBALive
04-03-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm not bothered about the fact that they're trying to eliminate used games. However, I am bothered about the use of DRM; that crap needs to go.

zerocooll21
04-03-2012, 07:50 PM
FWIW I would have never bought Infamous 2 or Uncharted 3 if I never got the prior games cheap/used. Had this been in place I would have never gotten into them.

D.I.D.
04-03-2012, 08:43 PM
FWIW I would have never bought Infamous 2 or Uncharted 3 if I never got the prior games cheap/used. Had this been in place I would have never gotten into them.

Prices ought to be lower generally, and you can expect speedy price drops. If either of those games had been on PC, you'd be picking them up for less than 10 now.

zerocooll21
04-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Something I always found funny is that with the cost of pretty much everything going up, video games have stayed about the same cost for some time now.

SixKeys
04-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Something I always found funny is that with the cost of pretty much everything going up, video games have stayed about the same cost for some time now.

I don't know about that. They've just found new ways to exploit customers for more money. They still advertise the games themselves at pretty much the same price but to get the FULL story, you need to pay another 10-30 bucks for various DLC, plus any collector's edition extras. Sometimes they'll throw in unlockable weapons or armor sets in other games from the same company so you have to purchase those games to unlock content in another game (see Mass Effect/Dragon Age 2).

Azula2005
04-03-2012, 09:32 PM
This absolutely sucks.

smengler
04-03-2012, 09:49 PM
I just want to say that used games are not hurting the video game industry. Pirating games for consoles is almost non-existent. Very few people buy pirated games because they are difficult to find and produce. We are not going to get better games if the game developers make more money. We are already at the point now where the majority of games are of good quality. Any extra money made by the game developers is not going to be spent on production (maybe a little, but not much). I like the idea of buying games online, but the DRM that comes with this will not be good. If any of you have siblings that use the same console as you, imagine if everyone had to buy their own copy of each game. If your brother bought MW3, you would not be able to play it unless you buy it yourself.

Poodle_of_Doom
04-03-2012, 11:44 PM
Personally, I love being able to hold whatever it is that I just bought. If my computer crashes, or my counsel blows up (sound familar Sony?)... then I've lost everything...

JCearlyyears
04-04-2012, 12:50 AM
This absolutely sucks.

Indeed it does.

Jexx21
04-04-2012, 06:19 AM
This is awesome.

Poodle_of_Doom
04-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Really, this will change the landscape of gaming forever. They should just convert to microchips or something. I imagine they'd be able to protect those fairly well.