PDA

View Full Version : They should return to the structure of the first game

DylanJosh9
04-02-2012, 08:20 PM
What I mean is, the whole 'investigation missions' structure.

The first game had the best Assassinations out of the all the games, and I think I know why - it had plenty of build up. None of the other games did. I've always wanted a return to that structure. To use a rather crude analogy - it's like the foreplay to the sex. There being only 9 targets made them feel really important, and whole structure made it feel like a 'boss' level.

Of course, that is also where the game failed - the investigation missions were horrible. So, what I think they should do is use the side missions from Brotherhood (it had the most side missions) instead of the whole pickpocketing/sitting on a bench missions.

Think about it - You have to assassinate one guy, so you have to gain info on him first. So you do a Assassin Tomb mission. On the way to the end you overhear some guards talking about how some other guard is always drunk (or always slacking off, or is prone to taking bribes). You can then use that for the main assassination.

Alternatively you could find some letter about the guards layout . (similar to AC1)

You could do a thief mission or courtesan mission or a War Machine and have similar results (but different info)

TLDR: Return to AC1 structure, but replace boring stuff with entertaining stuff from the recent games.

(I know this probably won't happen, but meh, humor me)

LightRey
04-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Though I liked the system, it quickly became repetitive. If they do introduce that kind of system, they shouldn't stick so strictly to the same types (interrogations, eavesdropping, etc.), but make it feel more natural. There should be some kind of systematic approach to an investigation, but with a little more variation.

Assassin_M
04-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Though I liked the system, it quickly became repetitive. If they do introduce that kind of system, they shouldn't stick so strictly to the same types (interrogations, eavesdropping, etc.), but make it feel more natural. There should be some kind of systematic approach to an investigation, but with a little more variation.
Took the words right out of my mouth, buddy..

SixKeys
04-02-2012, 08:42 PM
I agree with LightRey. It would be cool if you could be wandering around the city at the beginning of a new sequence and you would sometimes bump into heralds or random people gossiping about something your next assassination target has been doing, like "Did you hear Evil McDarkpants had a poor farmer's family killed for not paying taxes? I wish someone would stand up against him!". They wouldn't be scripted events but would feel more organic, just people going around saying things you weren't meant to hear but which you can use to your advantage.

rileypoole1234
04-02-2012, 08:56 PM
I do agree. It became repetitive. I'm certainly glad that they're changing everything up this time around. This is the what Ubi needed to do, and they've done it.

BBALive
04-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Absolutely not. I mean, the concept was solid for Altair, him being this dutiful assassin that was ordered by his superiors to kill certain targets, but it was executed poorly, like you said. My problem is that it wouldn't feel right in this context. Connor isn't like Altair, his method of assassination is akin to that of a hunter, rather than like Altair's simple, methodical approach. Connor will make use of tracks left by his targets (blood, footsteps; I'm sure this was confirmed in a recent interview or Q&A, something like that), rather than using informants to point him in the right direction.

A varied mission structure is much better than a strict, repetitive investigation section.

Assassin_M
04-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Absolutely not. I mean, the concept was solid for Altair, him being this dutiful assassin that was ordered by his superiors to kill certain targets, but it was executed poorly, like you said. My problem is that it wouldn't feel right in this context. Connor isn't like Altair, his method of assassination is akin to that of a hunter, rather than like Altair's simple, methodical approach. Connor will make use of tracks left by his targets (blood, footsteps; I'm sure this was confirmed in a recent interview or Q&A, something like that), rather than using informants to point him in the right direction.

A varied mission structure is much better than a strict, repetitive investigation section.
It doesnt have to work EXACTLY like AC I`s system..
It could be that he has a target, but needs to gather Info about that target, or maybe find out where he`ll be..
The AC I system can work, just not in the same context..

Jexx21
04-02-2012, 10:06 PM

I agree.

she-assassin
04-03-2012, 09:37 AM
I agree with the OP. I liked the style of the first game much better because I could actually plan out my assassinations. But the planning got watered down with every new game and now the missions are way too much scripted. Especially in Revelations.
Imagine this situation:

*she playing Revelations*
she: Oh, look! What could this possibly be? A new mission! What a surprise...
game: This is your mission. You should do it this way: do this here, do that there. Tada! Full synchronization.
she: Okay, let's take a different approach. How about...
game: Desynchronized. -____-
she: ...

You get my point.

Sukramo
04-03-2012, 10:41 AM
I agree with the OP. I liked the style of the first game much better because I could actually plan out my assassinations. But the planning got watered down with every new game and now the missions are way too much scripted. Especially in Revelations.
Imagine this situation:

*she playing Revelations*
she: Oh, look! What could this possibly be? A new mission! What a surprise...
game: This is your mission. You should do it this way: do this here, do that there. Tada! Full synchronization.
she: Okay, let's take a different approach. How about...
game: Desynchronized. -____-
she: ...

You get my point.

Yeah, revelations had WAYYY to many missions that got you insta desynct if you got detected.

BBALive
04-03-2012, 02:17 PM
I'm all for more freedom in missions; giving the player freedom to compete the mission how they want to. I just don't want it to be like AC1.

brick177
04-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Maybe, have multiple ways of finding the information you need and depending on how well you execute those methods you get better or worse information. Let's say you opt to tail someone to a secret meeting, if the tail is successful, you get the best info. But if you get detected and you chase him down and beat the information out of him, you get only a sliver of information. Which you can act on, but it might lead you to the wrong place, or forces you to follow a secondary method to get better information.

UrDeviant1
04-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Maybe, have multiple ways of finding the information you need and depending on how well you execute those methods you get better or worse information. Let's say you opt to tail someone to a secret meeting, if the tail is successful, you get the best info. But if you get detected and you chase him down and beat the information out of him, you get only a sliver of information. Which you can act on, but it might lead you to the wrong place, or forces you to follow a secondary method to get better information.

I like this Idea, but It might get frustrating for people who prefer a more aggressive approach. For me though, Id like It because It would reward you for acting more predator like.

SixKeys
04-03-2012, 08:01 PM

I like this idea. It could be kind of like getting 50% sync but not actually count towards your DNA synch, just how you approach the mission and the rewards you get for it. Just like how in AC3 you get a better reward if you assassinate an animal rather than shoot it full of holes.

Dieinthedark
04-03-2012, 10:13 PM
I agree but I'll be the odd one out here: The first time I played AC it wasn't until halfway through the story i began to notice the repetition. Sure, I knew it was there but I personally felt it added enough to the general backstory and intrigue of the game so I didn't mind it at all. However, it made the replays boring much more quickly.

DavisP92
04-03-2012, 10:19 PM
I agree but I'll be the odd one out here: The first time I played AC it wasn't until halfway through the story i began to notice the repetition. Sure, I knew it was there but I personally felt it added enough to the general backstory and intrigue of the game so I didn't mind it at all. However, it made the replays boring much more quickly.

i honestly didn't even notice that the game was repetitive until my second play through and i was still fine with that really. I just couldn't handle waiting through the long cutscenes again. I mean i didn't realize that the info missions actually give you maps and other things until my 3 or so playthrough

SixKeys
04-03-2012, 10:55 PM
I didn't find the game repetitive until I saw many people complaining about it online. I still don't mind it since each investigative mission plays out differently. Don't mind the cut scenes either as I enjoy the dialogue.

NewBlade200
04-04-2012, 12:24 AM
I'd prefer it if it were optional, so I could do it but no one else had to unless they wanted to.