PDA

View Full Version : Dear Ubi, My Fear of Assassin's Creed 3

wints92
04-02-2012, 05:23 PM
So, like many of you, I am highly anticipating the release Assassin's Creed 3 later this year. I have been told, as I am sure many of you know, that they have been working on this game for years. Business wise, Ubisoft doesn't need a hit, it needs a complete blockbuster. I am very confident that the single-player campaign will be something truly remarkable. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets game of the year for many. But honestly I am terrified of it's release, only because I am afraid Ubisoft is going to break my heart and I will be playing Brotherhood a year from today. So I am setting my standards low, and I mean L-O-W.

Here is why.

Ubisoft's intention has been, and I believe will continue to be, to make AC Multiplayer easier and easier; just dumb it down. There has been a progression: ACB > Hard, ACR > Challenging, but certainly easier in places, ACR(post-patch) > Wayyy dumbed down. (I should say that I am an asa player primarily so it affects me more then other modes, but the mechanics still apply across the board, and the progression will eventually affect all modes). Seeing as this has been the direction Ubi has been heading with the multiplayer, I see no reason why they will change course anytime soon. This really depresses me. In Chachi's "play asa with skill" thread n00bfl said that the game has become 'so noob focused' and its true.

Dear Ubisoft, I understand it, you think making the game easier for people to pick up and play and have fun with is going to boost sales. You are right about that. But I really believe that you are missing an enormous opportunity. Imagine, if you will, that 1000 years ago when whatever dude that invented chess was teaching all his buddies about it, that they *****ed and moaned about how it was 'toooo harrddddd'? And that guy was like oh okay, well why don't we just take out a bunch of spaces and pieces and make the game way easier to understand. What would you have? Tic-tac-toe. My point is, that with ACB you straight up INVENTED a ****ING GAME. That is awesome! Halo, CoD, Battlefield, it's all the same game, just with some different finishing and stuff. ACB was in itself very unique. Now, there you are with your brand new game that you just made up. Are you going to be like my fictional chess inventor and continue to make this game easier and easier until it is only played by kindergardeners who can only draw lines and circles or people who are so bored and lacking entertainment that they considered sticking that pencil up their nose. All the FPS games out there came from somewhere. Many players of multiplayer FPS's have been playing that type of game since Golden Eye. But now they are filthy at it and the universe that surrounds those games (including the profitability!!! ;) ) is enormous and awesome. What did they do? They made their games capable of being incredibly easy and enjoyable (see noobtube) while still having a deep multiplayer. By deep multiplayer I mean something that, if your customers play and play they have the room to get better and better until they are doing amazing things with something you created. Guess what, THAT HAPPENED! You potentially have a game-type that, given room to grow could compete with those FPS games in Multiplayer, not just single player. To do that you cannot just cater to new players, and alienate and upset a fanbase that you ALREADY have and has been incredibly LOYAL despite the fact that it becomes more and more apparent that you TRULY DO NOT GIVE A **** ABOUT THEM. (Sorry for shouting).

My advice: find a way to let this game grow AND attract new players. Maybe matchmaking specifics so higher ranks play higher ranks. Maybe something like a Veteran Assassin DLC, or whatever, that has tweaks to make it more competitive, a little more challenging. And then that way the noobs can have their own little world. And if they love the game and want to get better they can choose to compete with and learn from better players. I understand this just means more coding, more work, and more $$$, but I hope I have convinced you that I think it would take a small investment on your part to give this game room to really prosper and make your fanbase happy. I was a noob, I didn't play multiplayer when it first came out. But i tried it and and thought, wow I just got my *** kicked... but there is something too this game and i am going to figure it out. Don't underestimate those noobs Ubi, if you give them the opportunity many of them will get better and won't need to be coddled to. Then they will turn into a member of the constantly unhappy,*****y, beautiful multiplayer community that you know and love! (That is a good thing, btw)

jmk1999
04-02-2012, 06:18 PM
i like the idea of the player matching... but there should also be the option to have a free-for-all among all ranks for those who want to challenge themselves more. although i certainly see the value in having lower ranks play against each other since sometimes it's quite annoying to be killed very quickly without getting the hang of a game (i.e. call of duty or something).

FilipinoNinja67
04-02-2012, 06:32 PM
I disagree with ACB being harder, go and look at some videos on it and i can not believe i used S Disguise and SA Poison, classes like that took no skillz what-so-ever in *** creed bro. And there was also stunlocking which also took no skill and broke my beloved alliance ( :( ). Defense definitly was easier in *** creed rev (with the acception of stun locking in ACB) but offense was nerfed a lot. In *** creed bro offense was extremely easy and defense was nerfed. I think ubi needs to find that perfect balance in *** creed 3 and i definitly think they need to nerf the smokebomb... And i mean nerf it a lot.Welcome to the forums wints! I've heard about you a lot in the past month since youve joined V.A.A.

jmk1999
04-02-2012, 06:40 PM
uh... while it's technically not censored for obvious reasons, can you stop blatantly posting "*** creed?" i'm not sure if it started out as being funny or what and turned into habit, but it's sorta digusting and feels like a blatant "bypassing the censors because i can." i have no problem with the occasional use of it, but i read it SEVERAL times in your posts. one would think ACB, ACR, AC3 would be much easier to type. continually posting in this manner CAN be taken as swearing and abusing the censors (which we already know are having problems and are being looked into). keep in mind, this is an all-ages forum. just because it's not on the censor list (due to the game's title) doesn't make it any less offensive when used in excess.

R4AC2
04-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Meh, I think that the multiplayer will be fine. Also, they're talking about different types of multiplayer (multiplayer free roam, co-op campaign, and single-player-esque combat multiplayer), and those will add some nice variation. They'll find a balance, and if they don't just try the different modes. I hear what you're saying OP, but I think that you'll still love the multiplayer when it comes... :)

jmk1999
04-02-2012, 06:47 PM
as long as they keep wanted, i'll be happy. i don't know why, but i just could never jump on any of those other modes (maybe because the only person i play with is my nephew)... man, i'd be ticked if they messed with wanted. if it ain't broke... don't fix it.

wints92
04-02-2012, 07:23 PM
When I say ACR was easier I basically mean the auto-locking, as well as some other features. Don't get me wrong I personally loved ACR. I thought they got so many things right, not perfect, but improved. Greater stun range was great, I <3 corner stuns. And for manhunt it was defense was easier in ACB but i liked the removal of stun-locking (RIP alliance) cause it made it a little more challenging but good teamwork and smart maneuvering (again I <3 corner stuns) could still equal success. But overall I've felt that its more the direction that Ubi is heading with multiplayer, making it more new player friendly while neglecting better players, that scares me. I don't doubt that they have the potential to make multiplayer great, it is more what their intention is when making it. Also thanks for the welcome, greatly appreciated! :D

stinks8
04-02-2012, 07:23 PM
as long as they keep wanted, i'll be happy. i don't know why, but i just could never jump on any of those other modes (maybe because the only person i play with is my nephew)... man, i'd be ticked if they messed with wanted. if it ain't broke... don't fix it.

The RDM broke Wanted for me, either buiding for and Incognito kill getting poached by a runner or someone spamming B because they hear whipers took the fun out of it.

wints92
04-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Meh, I think that the multiplayer will be fine. Also, they're talking about different types of multiplayer (multiplayer free roam, co-op campaign, and single-player-esque combat multiplayer), and those will add some nice variation. They'll find a balance, and if they don't just try the different modes. I hear what you're saying OP, but I think that you'll still love the multiplayer when it comes... :)

I look forward to innovation and variation for sure. Thanks for trying to ease my worry! :D

SixKeys
04-02-2012, 07:35 PM

I'm sorry to tell you this, but Wanted is broken on ACR too.

jmk1999
04-02-2012, 07:45 PM
eh, there were a couple things i wasn't all that fond of in ACR's wanted, but i've learned to cope. it does kinda suck sometimes though when i'm the only one not pulling out guns and poisons. but whatevs...

FilipinoNinja67
04-02-2012, 10:25 PM
uh... while it's technically not censored for obvious reasons, can you stop blatantly posting "*** creed?" i'm not sure if it started out as being funny or what and turned into habit, but it's sorta digusting and feels like a blatant "bypassing the censors because i can." i have no problem with the occasional use of it, but i read it SEVERAL times in your posts. one would think ACB, ACR, AC3 would be much easier to type. continually posting in this manner CAN be taken as swearing and abusing the censors (which we already know are having problems and are being looked into). keep in mind, this is an all-ages forum. just because it's not on the censor list (due to the game's title) doesn't make it any less offensive when used in excess.

I saw a video on youtube and got in the habit of saying it. (Lol's at past zero punctuation videos...)

TaRabidWesmann
04-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Im getting AC3 for singleplayer.Tell me it don't look sexy!
In all seriousness,if Ubi does screw AC3 up,I may aswell quit the series.Although,its really lookin good so far.

CerealAssassin
04-02-2012, 10:33 PM
hey wints92 i remember playing you alot of acb assassinate on my prevous gt crazy wolf1992 if u remember!

Anyway, my hopes for AC3 mutliplayer is very low to avoid being disapointed, i feel they will focus too much on other things like co op and whatever else there is.
Im not saying ACB was perfect but for me its a more balanced game, not going to go into that though.
I just feel, especially after the patch, like someone said the game has become noob focused/friendly, and i feel AC3 will continue on that trend unfortunately.

Crumplecorn
04-02-2012, 11:30 PM
When I say ACR was easier I basically mean the auto-locking, as well as some other features.I was about to disagree with you but this I actually agree with. gameplay-wise AC:R is better, but it has so many prompts and things that it makes standard Wanted in AC:B look like Advanced Wanted by comparison.

Perhaps in ACIII all your pursuers will be permanently marked and you abilities will automatically activate at the right time.

n00bfi_97
04-02-2012, 11:34 PM
I was about to disagree with you but this I actually agree with. gameplay-wise AC:R is better, but it has so many prompts and things that it makes standard Wanted in AC:B look like Advanced Wanted by comparison.

Perhaps in ACIII all your pursuers will be permanently marked and you abilities will automatically activate at the right time.

I sure hope so...

UNLESS

ur troling

wints92
04-03-2012, 02:09 AM
hey wints92 i remember playing you alot of acb assassinate on my prevous gt crazy wolf1992 if u remember!

Anyway, my hopes for AC3 mutliplayer is very low to avoid being disapointed, i feel they will focus too much on other things like co op and whatever else there is.
Im not saying ACB was perfect but for me its a more balanced game, not going to go into that though.
I just feel, especially after the patch, like someone said the game has become noob focused/friendly, and i feel AC3 will continue on that trend unfortunately.

That really is my worry, that they'll continue that trend. Yea I remember! Back in the good ole days:). Good news though, acb assassinate is alive again! You should get on soon and join the lobbies, very competitive it's great.

TheHowlerrr
04-03-2012, 02:19 AM
Yeah, those lobbies are intense :P

FilipinoNinja67
04-03-2012, 02:35 AM
I was about to disagree with you but this I actually agree with. gameplay-wise AC:R is better, but it has so many prompts and things that it makes standard Wanted in AC:B look like Advanced Wanted by comparison.

Holy crap, have you seen the death streak "revelation", it reveals all persuers in sight. Ubisoft, there is one question that the entire community wants to ask you... Why?

Collinwood01
04-03-2012, 03:25 AM
Ive never had a problem with in-game mechanics. You can adapt to anything anyone does from player to player. The game breakers for me are lag and the contract system. Lag because you cant adapt to it no matter how hard you try and the contract system because its flat out broken(for me anyway). There is no reason that the person in 1st should have just me as a pursuer when Im in 7th and have 2 or 3 pursuers. Every time I play the game its either the abilities fail, I have to many pursuers, my pursuers are next to me when I spawn in and my contract is across the map, people are sliding 50ft across the screen to kill or stun me or Im alerted to late as to my pursuer or contract. An example of the last thing said is that one of the last ACR MP sessions I played was with a friend. It was Castel Gandolfo DM. 2 times during that session my friend was in the middle of stunning me BEFORE it showed that I had a contract and 3 times he was in the middle of killing me BEFORE the red light came up showing that I had a pursuer. Its just not fun and I dont even bother to play ACB MP or ACR MP anymore. Ive broken 2 controllers over the game. Its just not worth it. As for AC3, Im taking a wait and see attitude. I wont pre-order it and I wont buy it new unless I hear some good reviews from the friends I have that will still be playing the AC series. Ill buy it used for the story mode and thats about it. I cant set my standards any lower for AC3 MP because I dont have any. AC MP is a great concept but until it works the same for everyone(in regards to lag and such) it wont be played much by me.

jmk1999
04-03-2012, 07:26 AM
I saw a video on youtube and got in the habit of saying it. (Lol's at past zero punctuation videos...)
yeah, zero punctuation can be pretty funny... :p but just try to be cleaner when you post from now on... thanks.:)

CerealAssassin
04-03-2012, 11:31 AM
That really is my worry, that they'll continue that trend. Yea I remember! Back in the good ole days:). Good news though, acb assassinate is alive again! You should get on soon and join the lobbies, very competitive it's great.

Really? i can never find a game :( i need people to play with, dont have any friends that play it anymore,i need to find people :P

PluralAces
04-03-2012, 02:50 PM
well i think with a game like AC i dont think noobs want to get better...they just want to run around and get 100 point kills because they think that makes them good.

jmk1999
04-03-2012, 07:00 PM
hmm... it's a shame if that's what's going through they're heads. i know it's pretty frustrating when i'm "stalking" someone and i catch them in my sights from across a plaza area or something and i see them run. i know they didn't see me, they just run run run. i know who they are BECAUSE they're running around. sad thing is, i end up getting a reckless because i'm forced to finally say "screw it" and run up on them, just so i can get a target who actually plays the game right. :rolleyes:

obliviondoll
04-03-2012, 07:05 PM
And that Reckless would be at least a Silent if you did a half-decent job in ACB.

Because in ACR, the target has too much control of the game, and the pursuer has none.

deadly_thought
04-04-2012, 07:49 AM
im thinking AC3 MP might be a polished version of ACR with different/more maps wich wouldnt be a bad thing im not gunna jump for joy till i see the ending of the SP story and the first week of the mp

in the back of my mind im secretly hoping its going to be brilliant but well see in the end AC3 is going to be all about the single player anyway with any luck there will be some sort of epic DLC to go with both SP and MP my thinking is that ACR is broken because they were working on AC3 at the same time

more than welcome to slap me if im wrong itd be my fault anyway

obliviondoll
04-04-2012, 03:55 PM
im thinking AC3 MP might be a polished version of ACR with different/more maps wich wouldnt be a bad thing im not gunna jump for joy till i see the ending of the SP story and the first week of the mp

in the back of my mind im secretly hoping its going to be brilliant but well see in the end AC3 is going to be all about the single player anyway with any luck there will be some sort of epic DLC to go with both SP and MP my thinking is that ACR is broken because they were working on AC3 at the same time

more than welcome to slap me if im wrong itd be my fault anyway

I believe the phrase "developed by different studios" is applicable here.

AC3 isn't being made by the same people that did ACR. And they were working on it before ACB.

I'm hoping the multiplayer is more of an update on ACB than ACR, with some of the good things from ACR added, but with improvements to the bad elements from both games.

I'm not EXPECTING that, but I'm hoping for it.

TheHowlerrr
04-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Really? i can never find a game :( i need people to play with, dont have any friends that play it anymore,i need to find people :P

It's pretty late our time man, I was on like 11pm - 4am in the lobby a couple of nights ago lol. Try around 9ish, there might be one going by then

wints92
04-06-2012, 08:35 PM

Gt : wints22. Add me, people are definitely playing a lot more

TB_Jaybird
04-10-2012, 06:29 PM

You people,meaning you UBISOFT employee's and i am sure you, dom1999, are an employee with a title such as moderator, have known about your overzealous spam filter since release yet not done anything about it. Dotn you think it is time to stop saying that you are going to do something about it and actually do it?

you censor the word ****on but allow us to type *** creed?

Black_Widow9
04-11-2012, 10:51 AM
You people,meaning you UBISOFT employee's and i am sure you, dom1999, are an employee with a title such as moderator, have known about your overzealous spam filter since release yet not done anything about it. Dotn you think it is time to stop saying that you are going to do something about it and actually do it?

you censor the word ****on but allow us to type *** creed?
dom1999 is not an employee of Ubisoft. He is a volunteer and deserves just as much respect as every member of the community. If you need clarification you need to revisit the Forum Rules where you will also find descriptions of our Titles.

We are in the process of working out the Filter. I know it is frustrating at times but please do not try to create slang using words that are clearly not a part of the Filter but are inappropriate.

Grygier
04-12-2012, 07:59 AM
i would like the advanced modes to return but actually be advanced!

Grygier
04-12-2012, 08:10 AM
I believe the phrase "developed by different studios" is applicable here.

AC3 isn't being made by the same people that did ACR. And they were working on it before ACB.

I'm hoping the multiplayer is more of an update on ACB than ACR, with some of the good things from ACR added, but with improvements to the bad elements from both games.

I'm not EXPECTING that, but I'm hoping for it.

tho i'm hoping we will experience a new approach on the system something that focuses more on social stealth they will most likely work off ACB/ACR and hopefully gain the best from both games.

FilipinoNinja67
04-12-2012, 05:02 PM
i would like the advanced modes to return but actually be advanced!

Yes! I loved the advanced modes! It added the ability to hide on the roof which opened up more ways to get away from your pursuer and approach your target. Shame not enough people got the hang of it to keep it alive.