PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Philip Shahbaz - HE VOICED ALTAIR IN ACR?!

DiamondBlade_R
04-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Okay, so I just happened to come across this 2011 interview on YouTube with Philip Shahbaz, who did the voice for Altair in the original Assassin's Creed game. When Revelations came out, many of us (myself included) came to believe that the person voicing Altair in that game was someone different from Shahbaz, specifically a voice actor by the name of Cez Anvar. The Assassin's Creed Wiki, which, despite being unofficial, is considered by many fans to be a reliable source for information about the franchise, aldo supports that statement.However, in this interview, Shahbaz is asked what it was like to return to voicing Altair for Revelations after all these years, and he does not correct the person asking by telling him that he doesn't voice Altair in ACR - which is what I expected him to say, considering he supposedly did not reprise his role as Altair for Revelations. Instead, he just replies to the question by saying he prefers to talk about it once the game is out. If he really did not reprise his role, why would he say that? Wouldn't it make more sense for him just to correct the mistake of the guy who asked the question? And even if the "question incident" is no absolute answer on the matter, why would there be an interview with Shahbaz in 2011, just before ACR's release, if he doesn't reprise his role in it?

The interview:
PART 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWJ8quoxUKQ

PART 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FclWyeAnyU&feature=relmfu

The "question incident" is on part 2, 6:30 - 7:02 .

EDIT: I just realized that this is my 200th post :p

DylanJosh9
04-02-2012, 05:09 PM
What? I always knew it was Philip Shahbaz. It was on his imdb or something. I had no idea anyone thought differently.

DiamondBlade_R
04-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Many of us did, actually.
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/664379-Philip-Shahbaz-VS-Cez-Anvar-as-Altair?highlight=anvar

OriginalMiles
04-02-2012, 05:12 PM
When I first heard ACR Altair's voice, I could swear I hear Philip Shahbaz with the accent, it sounded just like him, I wish someone would just make a video that compares the two voices.

kriegerdesgottes
04-02-2012, 05:24 PM
What a shame. I think if they had brought him in to do his more mild middle eastern accent, a lot of fans would have been much happier with Altair's voice in ACR.

DiamondBlade_R
04-02-2012, 05:30 PM
What a shame. I think if they had brought him in to do his more mild middle eastern accent, a lot of fans would have been much happier with Altair's voice in ACR.
But that's exactly the point of this thread - I think they actually did brought him in and just told him to do a Middle-Eastern accent.

she-assassin
04-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Ha! I knew it was him! It never really made sense that Ubisoft would hire a completely different voice actor for such an important character. I prefer his accent from AC1, though.

kriegerdesgottes
04-02-2012, 05:44 PM
No he was voiced by Cas Anva (http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Cas_Anvar)r in Revelations. I think Philip would have done much better.

Assassin_M
04-02-2012, 05:49 PM
WTF ??
How is that Possible ?

LightRey
04-02-2012, 05:50 PM
No he was voiced by Cas Anva (http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Cas_Anvar)r in Revelations. I think Philip would have done much better.
You didn't even bother to read the OP did you? -__-

DiamondBlade_R
04-02-2012, 05:56 PM
You didn't even bother to read the OP did you? -__-
lol my thoughts exactly.

she-assassin
04-02-2012, 05:57 PM

No, he wasn't. Watch the video. He actually talks about it. Also, ACwiki has it from imdb. And imdb often gets things wrong.

kriegerdesgottes
04-02-2012, 06:02 PM
But that's exactly the point of this thread - I think they actually did brought him in and just told him to do a Middle-Eastern accent.

This OP?

ConorMcA
04-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Hey folks, Shabaz did not voice Altair in Revelations. IMDB is as official as the Assassin's Creed Wiki. As in it isn't. Shabaz doesn't directly mention Revelations by name at that moment, and neither does the person who poses the question.

Here's the proof straight from Ubisoft:
http://insider.uk.ubi.com/

Shabaz may not have even known the status about how close Revelations was to release (not all voice actors are as big a fan as the fans themselves) so he may not have known that he wasn't going to be voicing Altair at that point you see. : )

kriegerdesgottes
04-02-2012, 06:05 PM
Yeah I also specifically remember him saying that Ubisoft did NOT call him for revelations because it was a common misconception that he had done the voice in Revelations. You guys were saying?

LightRey
04-02-2012, 06:07 PM
This OP?
No, that's not an OP, that's just a P, if you catch my drift.
OP is referring to the first post in a thread (or the one who posted it).

kriegerdesgottes
04-02-2012, 06:09 PM
That post was put up by the OP who was wrong about the voice actor, as were you ;) if you catch my drift.

LightRey
04-02-2012, 06:14 PM
That post was put up by the OP who was wrong about the voice actor, as were you ;) if you catch my drift.
I didn't make any claims about the VA, so unless you're referring to the point where it was yet unconfirmed who the VA was, that's irrelevant.

Anyways, I obviously wasn't asking if you had metaphorically read the OP's personality, so it's obvious I was referring to the post, not the person. Ergo, you quoting him from another post is not referring to the OP I was talking about.

she-assassin
04-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Hey folks, Shabaz did

not voice Altair in Revelations. IMDB is as official as the Assassin's Creed Wiki. As in it isn't. Shabaz doesn't directly mention Revelations by name at that moment, and neither does the person who poses the question.

Here's the proof straight from Ubisoft:
http://insider.uk.ubi.com/

Shabaz may not have even known the status about how close Revelations was to release (not all voice actors are as big a fan as the fans themselves) so he may not have known that he wasn't going to be voicing Altair at that point you see. : )

Well, it still doesn't make sense. Why did they replace him in the first place? He did a good job in AC1 and he was willing to come back for Revelations. It wasn't really necessary to completely change the portrayal of the character just because some whining fans couldn't get over the fact that Altair didn't have a middle-eastern accent.

RzaRecta357
04-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Just say OP means Original Post. Let him figure it out from there. :P

kriegerdesgottes
04-02-2012, 06:30 PM
I didn't make any claims about the VA, so unless you're referring to the point where it was yet unconfirmed who the VA was, that's irrelevant.

Anyways, I obviously wasn't asking if you had metaphorically read the OP's personality, so it's obvious I was referring to the post, not the person. Ergo, you quoting him from another post is not referring to the OP I was talking about.

Well when I made the comment about the VA being different, and then he and you implied that I was wrong, I felt it necessary to point out the the OP that you were referring to had in fact made a claim that was false. So I was referring to the OP that made that claim and that is why I used that particular post.

Oh and yes I did watch the first one and read his comment.

DiamondBlade_R
04-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Well when I made the comment about the VA being different, and then he and you implied that I was wrong, I felt it necessary to point out the the OP that you were referring to had in fact made a claim that was false. So I was referring to the OP that made that claim and that is why I used that particular post.

Oh and yes I did watch the first one and read his comment.Fine then, you were right, we were wrong. You happy now? There's really no need for you to display such arrogance and be so co-cky about it.

kriegerdesgottes
04-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Uh, what?

I din't understand your last comment, but I will say this: you were right, we were wrong. You happy now? There's really no need for you to display such arrogance and be so ****y about it.

I didn't mean to come across as arrogant and I apologize for that but I thought it was rather arrogant to come in and say " You didn't even read the OP did you?" and to have you jump on and say "my point exactly" I thought that was kind of mean so I do apologize for being arrogant because I try and be respectful on here as much as possible....and yes I'm happy lol. jk.

DiamondBlade_R
04-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Okay, so I apologize if my remarks and comments annoyed you. Peace?

ConorMcA
04-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Well, it still doesn't make sense. Why did they replace him in the first place?

Any number of reasons dude. Scheduling conflicts, pay disputes, creative disagreements etc. It happens, unfortunately. Perhaps Ubisoft simply preferred Anvar's arabic accent to Shabaz's.

kriegerdesgottes
04-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Okay, so I apologize if my remarks and comments annoyed you. Peace?

Peace :)

Saar Ben Kiki
04-02-2012, 07:14 PM

what i know is, that in the demo (first demo of altair with ezio in masyaf) we hear philip's voice (the original)
but when the original was released he add a diff voice... better check out since when that interview is, might be not updated and maybe he got fired... :[

twenty_glyphs
04-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Well, it still doesn't make sense. Why did they replace him in the first place? He did a good job in AC1 and he was willing to come back for Revelations. It wasn't really necessary to completely change the portrayal of the character just because some whining fans couldn't get over the fact that Altair didn't have a middle-eastern accent.

Good question. Why did they change Subject 16's voice actor? Why didn't they bother to bring Kristen Bell back to help bring life to The Lost Archive DLC? Why did they replace every existing character's face with an uglified version? They made a lot of moves like this in Revelations that make no sense to me. It's like they went out of their way to make this game completely different from the rest of the series when it came to continuity of the characters' presentations.

SixKeys
04-02-2012, 07:27 PM
This video simply makes me more baffled about the choices they made with casting Shahbaz. I always figured there were two possible reasons why Alta´r didn't have a Middle-Eastern accent in the first game: 1) they wanted to make the character more accessible to mainstream audiences, as Shahbaz suggests, or 2) Shahbaz couldn't do a convincing Arabic accent. He demonstrates in the interview that the second assumption is clearly false, he could have easily done it as thick or as mild as they wanted, but they told him to drop it altogether. Then in Revelations, they get another random guy to voice Alta´r, this time with the accent. Why not bring Shahbaz back if he was willing and able to do it?

I'm even more disappointed about the lack of Shabaz in ACR now that he's demonstrated he was always capable of doing a Middle-Eastern accent. That means that wasn't valid excuse not to bring him back and just confirms my suspicions about the director of AC1 being a bit too concerned with catering to white people instead of being bold enough to have a Middle-Eastern protagonist actually look and sound Middle-Eastern. Fail again, Ubi. :(

kriegerdesgottes
04-02-2012, 07:34 PM
This video simply makes me more baffled about the choices they made with casting Shahbaz. I always figured there were two possible reasons why Alta´r didn't have a Middle-Eastern accent in the first game: 1) they wanted to make the character more accessible to mainstream audiences, as Shahbaz suggests, or 2) Shahbaz couldn't do a convincing Arabic accent. He demonstrates in the interview that the second assumption is clearly false, he could have easily done it as thick or as mild as they wanted, but they told him to drop it altogether. Then in Revelations, they get another random guy to voice Alta´r, this time with the accent. Why not bring Shahbaz back if he was willing and able to do it?

I'm even more disappointed about the lack of Shabaz in ACR now that he's demonstrated he was always capable of doing a Middle-Eastern accent. That means that wasn't valid excuse not to bring him back and just confirms my suspicions about the director of AC1 being a bit too concerned with catering to white people instead of being bold enough to have a Middle-Eastern protagonist actually look and sound Middle-Eastern. Fail again, Ubi. :(

I think the thing we all need to accept is that even Ubisoft is capable of making really stupid decisions. Like you said, shahbaz did an awesome accent at all three levels and I really think that if he had stuck with his more mild or even the really mild accent, people would have loved Altair much more. I agree with Philip too when he says Ubisoft was trying to relate to a general audience and I think they took a risk at making Altair sound American which was a mistake especially since no one else in the game spoke that way and that is why Ezio had the borderline cliche Italian accent. Everyone makes mistakes. I do think they should not have replaced Shahbaz though.

LightRey
04-02-2012, 07:59 PM

Then it seems rather odd to me that you tried to prove him wrong with things he literally mentioned in the OP.

DylanJosh9
04-02-2012, 08:16 PM
OK I watched the video. Shahbaz doesn't say ANYTHING about ACR in the video. When the interviewer guy asks him, "How was it to return after all this time?" He said, "I can't talk about it" ... that's all he says.

Also, if you go to his twitter page,
https://twitter.com/#!/pshahbaz (he mentions using twitter in the video)

http://i.imgur.com/xbNjY.png

Why would he retweet the middle tweet if it was him?

pacmanate
04-02-2012, 08:24 PM
I thought that it was the same actor for both but that the devs wanted him to do the american accent in AC1 for some reason then changed it for ACR

she-assassin
04-02-2012, 09:30 PM
It's kind of weird, he never confirms it openly.

Anyway, I like the very last accent he does in the first video posted by the OP. I mean the very mild middle-eastern one. I really wish Altair spoke like that.

pacmanate
04-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Oh so he didnt voice him in ACR. That doesn't make ANY sense whatsoever.

Dieinthedark
04-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Preferred Altair in AC1 a million times over current. His cold, kinda chilling voice was a perfect reflection on his cold, stoic character.