PDA

View Full Version : I finally think I'm getting the I-16 down pat!

XyZspineZyX
09-07-2003, 05:13 PM
Ok don't ask why but for some reason I love the early era birds. Especially the I-16 it just looks so well pre WWII. It is in fact I know but seems crazy going up against the Germans in this heap.
Those were my original thoughts, but the more I fly this GeeBee wannabe lol. The more I find out how much better it is against well... Everything!
Before I was lucky to down a Stuka much less anything that jinked when I shot at it. I would always run out of ammo way too fast, and griped to myself about it's puny guns.

Well my last two missions I've downed no less than 3 fighters not counting bombers before running out of ammo. Not to mention in both missions I had one machinegun jam.
I guess it's maybe just taken me some time to adjust to the bad snap roll tendancies. Also to get my accuracy up enough to make effective use of the slow firing cannons.

It was awesome when I finally figured it out though on how to shoot. I was diving after a BF-109 in a slight bank as he was after my wingman. As I can around on him I got all up on my sights shift+F1 and hit the delete key. Whoa what a big target now! lol. So I started spraying him with my MG's until I got the deflection on. Then I tapped my cannons THOOP! BOOM! Right behind the cockpit. I tapped them again as I threw in some more elevator and started to shudder a bit. THOOP! BOOM! It's a German candle! Similar in appearance to a Roman candle lol.

I thought man I got it now as before I would hammer down on the cannons and waste a bunch of ammo before I ever started hitting them. No more linking 1+2 as it's just a waste.
Then I checked my 6 and his buddies did not like what I had done and were all setup to BnZ me from up high. I'd say they were actually at around 5:30 and coming down fast.
My brain kicked in and I dropped flaps, and cranked that little pig of a I-16 around hard. They overshot me and by the time they came level I had raised flaps, and was coming around on their 6's. I got all up on my sights again as I call it lol. Aimed a little high as they were still moving away fast from their dive, and starting to climb back up. I hammered on the MG and one kept on climbing but the other dove, and turned away. I caught up to him pretty quick, and saw his prop wasn't spinning. I guess I hit his engine as he started to climb. No fire or smoke it was just locked up so I have no clue what I did. Anyway I went ahead and popped a couple of cannon rounds into his right wing which promptly removed about half of it.
Still had another one to contend with and my wingman had rejoined the other fight going on about 3 miles off. Where is he?! Behind me again so I started into a hard turn. This time he followed obviously losing faith in the BnZ after the demise of his wingman http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Around he came on my tail firing short bursts, but he couldn't get enough deflection as I was out turning him. We made about 2 full circles is my guess when he finally bled off enough energy and level out, and banked away.
Ha I yanked it on up into a high yo-yo manuever that ended up being more like a stall turn. Came around right on his 6. He did a bunch of rolls, and banked without turning back and forth trying to regain his airspeed. It was no good though because as he regained his so did I. He rolled and I sprayed him mercelessly with my one MG. Hoping he would make a mistake so I could close on him with my cannons.
Finally I think he tried to jink to much and I caught up to him. I fired a burst into his fuselage and he went for the clouds. Another burst removed his wing at the fuselage on the right side. I kept the hammer down a second more removing his left wing, and cutting the 109 in half.
Feeling spicy now I headed over to the others who were dancing around playing with some 110's.
I won't go into their deaths at my hands, but I got two of them. They were too easy, and almost no fun except watching that one's right engine fall completely off. Funny the wing, and all stayed as if the engine was blown right out the front of it's fairing. It began a slow spin of death into the terra firma. I guess flying on one engine, and flying without one engine is totally different. Plus it had some other complications. I also stole a third 110 kill from a wingman, but I'm not counting that one. As it was simply a sitting duck with half an elevator heading for the deck. I ripped it apart with what was left of my ammo. Cool thing though I was doing 560+ mph chasing it towards the earth.

Best of all the entire mission I took only 1 hit that jammed my left MG.
I'm just way too adicted to this game now. Before at times it was frustrating. Yet I'm getting the hang of it now or maybe I've just flown the dog droppings out of the I-16. It's more like an extension of me than an aircraft now.

XyZspineZyX
09-07-2003, 05:13 PM
Ok don't ask why but for some reason I love the early era birds. Especially the I-16 it just looks so well pre WWII. It is in fact I know but seems crazy going up against the Germans in this heap.
Those were my original thoughts, but the more I fly this GeeBee wannabe lol. The more I find out how much better it is against well... Everything!
Before I was lucky to down a Stuka much less anything that jinked when I shot at it. I would always run out of ammo way too fast, and griped to myself about it's puny guns.

Well my last two missions I've downed no less than 3 fighters not counting bombers before running out of ammo. Not to mention in both missions I had one machinegun jam.
I guess it's maybe just taken me some time to adjust to the bad snap roll tendancies. Also to get my accuracy up enough to make effective use of the slow firing cannons.

It was awesome when I finally figured it out though on how to shoot. I was diving after a BF-109 in a slight bank as he was after my wingman. As I can around on him I got all up on my sights shift+F1 and hit the delete key. Whoa what a big target now! lol. So I started spraying him with my MG's until I got the deflection on. Then I tapped my cannons THOOP! BOOM! Right behind the cockpit. I tapped them again as I threw in some more elevator and started to shudder a bit. THOOP! BOOM! It's a German candle! Similar in appearance to a Roman candle lol.

I thought man I got it now as before I would hammer down on the cannons and waste a bunch of ammo before I ever started hitting them. No more linking 1+2 as it's just a waste.
Then I checked my 6 and his buddies did not like what I had done and were all setup to BnZ me from up high. I'd say they were actually at around 5:30 and coming down fast.
My brain kicked in and I dropped flaps, and cranked that little pig of a I-16 around hard. They overshot me and by the time they came level I had raised flaps, and was coming around on their 6's. I got all up on my sights again as I call it lol. Aimed a little high as they were still moving away fast from their dive, and starting to climb back up. I hammered on the MG and one kept on climbing but the other dove, and turned away. I caught up to him pretty quick, and saw his prop wasn't spinning. I guess I hit his engine as he started to climb. No fire or smoke it was just locked up so I have no clue what I did. Anyway I went ahead and popped a couple of cannon rounds into his right wing which promptly removed about half of it.
Still had another one to contend with and my wingman had rejoined the other fight going on about 3 miles off. Where is he?! Behind me again so I started into a hard turn. This time he followed obviously losing faith in the BnZ after the demise of his wingman http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Around he came on my tail firing short bursts, but he couldn't get enough deflection as I was out turning him. We made about 2 full circles is my guess when he finally bled off enough energy and level out, and banked away.
Ha I yanked it on up into a high yo-yo manuever that ended up being more like a stall turn. Came around right on his 6. He did a bunch of rolls, and banked without turning back and forth trying to regain his airspeed. It was no good though because as he regained his so did I. He rolled and I sprayed him mercelessly with my one MG. Hoping he would make a mistake so I could close on him with my cannons.
Finally I think he tried to jink to much and I caught up to him. I fired a burst into his fuselage and he went for the clouds. Another burst removed his wing at the fuselage on the right side. I kept the hammer down a second more removing his left wing, and cutting the 109 in half.
Feeling spicy now I headed over to the others who were dancing around playing with some 110's.
I won't go into their deaths at my hands, but I got two of them. They were too easy, and almost no fun except watching that one's right engine fall completely off. Funny the wing, and all stayed as if the engine was blown right out the front of it's fairing. It began a slow spin of death into the terra firma. I guess flying on one engine, and flying without one engine is totally different. Plus it had some other complications. I also stole a third 110 kill from a wingman, but I'm not counting that one. As it was simply a sitting duck with half an elevator heading for the deck. I ripped it apart with what was left of my ammo. Cool thing though I was doing 560+ mph chasing it towards the earth.

Best of all the entire mission I took only 1 hit that jammed my left MG.
I'm just way too adicted to this game now. Before at times it was frustrating. Yet I'm getting the hang of it now or maybe I've just flown the dog droppings out of the I-16. It's more like an extension of me than an aircraft now.

XyZspineZyX
09-07-2003, 05:44 PM
An exciting mission write up - thanks. I love the I-16 too, even more so after the 1.1 patch, and having tried most of the fighters I still keep coming back to this one. For some reason its the only aircraft that makes me smile during the action when its manoeuverability gains the upper hand yet again in a difficult dogfight.

<center>http://mysite.freeserve.com/zensamurai/Madbadvlad5.jpg

'Whirlwind Whiner'
The First of the Few

Ex Ungue Leonem - 'By his claws one knows the Lion'
</center>

XyZspineZyX
09-07-2003, 06:45 PM
The I 16 kinda grew on me.. I didn't like it at first (negative G fuel starvation) and I could never seem to get the bloody gear up (I didn't realize that I must Repeatedly press the assigned key... okay.. I am dumb most of the time).

I rarely kill the engine anymore and, if I do, I often can restart in a shallow dive due to the windmilling of the prop.

The I 16 is honest and agile. I flew one through Lvov and Smolensk and learned to love it.. but now I have been re assigned to a Mig 3. I was rather hoping for the LaGG 3.

It occurs to me that there are a great many planes in FB that I have yet to fly... but there will be time. For the present I am happily progressing through the years and learning.

Cheers

XyZspineZyX
09-07-2003, 08:30 PM
Do you use real time or "matrix" time? Because I find really difficult to aim a deflection shot with "del" view at normal time speeds without eating the whole plane... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

- Dux Corvan -

http://www.theinformationminister.com/press.php?ID=612322300

</span></blockquote></font></td></tr>

XyZspineZyX
09-07-2003, 08:51 PM
First I started using matrix time. Until I figured out how much deflection I need. Basically to get used to how the rounds fly. Never more than 1/2 time and now I stay at normal or above. The trick to keeping the sights steady is to go easy on the joystick, and play with the settings until the aircraft responds smoothly to joystick movements. Until I got my joystick properly adjusted I couldn't hit anything.
Also you have to trim your aircraft to fly straight and level or I actually trim it to dive a little.
The rest is a matter of getting into proper position. I've moved my flaps to my #6 joystick button. That way I can come in on their 6 hit the flaps, and match their speed. Then you have to use a lot of throttle management to slowly close the gap.
I was playing a QMB earlier and flying the russian rocket plane. I've found that my gunnery has improved to the point that in normal time I can finally BnZ aircraft from most angles. Even when closing head on with a ME-262 which gave me all of about 1 1/2 seconds to get on him, and take him out.
Although in matrix time I can almost waste no ammo. In normal time I waste a little more, but it's no big deal. I fly all normal time in combat now and I've gotten the hang of it.

You've just got to keep tuning all of your settings until it feels right for you. Turn up the smoothing don't use a dead zone as I find it makes you over correct. Use those little sliders to change the movement proportions. Thus pulling the stick halfway back isn't 1/2 up elevator. Yet as it pulls back further it increases faster.
Thus 1/2 movement of the joystick in any direction doesn't do a lot to the aircraft. So it makes the aircraft smooth out even when your slightly over controlling. Yet when you need to bank hard or pull up hard anything past 1/2 stick movement starts putting in a lot of control reaction.

It's just like using exponential on my R/C airplanes. Makes them smooth yet doesn't kill their manuverability. The only thing better would be if I could set up dual rates. Thus have a low set, and high set that could switch at the push of a button. One for manuevering, and the other for shooting when in position.

On the same side when setup like I have it you must be carefull in aricraft like the I-16. As when in a turn a little past half stick will put you into a snap if you don't have lots of speed.

Like I said though just get you controls tuned up until they're smooth. If they're smooth in an I-16 I can tell you they are super smooth in anything else.

XyZspineZyX
09-07-2003, 09:43 PM
Interview of Hurricane pilot who liked I~16 better...in good hands competitive with Fb109 Email, but not 109F (3 long pages)

http://airforce.users.ru/lend-lease/english/articles/golodnikov/index.htm

part 1...
*- A. S. Did the I-16 burn more readily [[than Hurricane]]? It also was percale-covered.

*- N. G. Worse. The I-16's engine was more reliable. And the little I-16, one had to hit it. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Just thinking:: crap out your stick settings a little if you start a new campaign may let you sim a Newbie pilot, alot if you sim a Soviet Newbie pilot(/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif ). Tighten up the settings little by little. Just a thought. Same with mouse speed settings for crippling your ability to find targets.

I am so Happy they "crippled" I~16. Before Patch 1.1b it was a joke. Flying neutronium armored UFO. I always wanted this one to be my favorite, now I can let it. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif