PDA

View Full Version : New AC game should not have been about the American Revolution

AltairGreen
03-31-2012, 08:55 PM
Hi people,

Im a little bit disappointed with the AC teams selection of the American Revolution as the new theme/story behind ACIII.

I feel like there is too much horrifying stories about the American Revolution which really does not make a person comfortable playing a role which assists it.

The American Revolution saw the massacre of the Native Americans, and also the continued slavery of Africans. Assassins (hashashins) would not fight for or represent such a system that is flawed and unjust. It doesn't reconcile with the historical realities around the Assassins who fought for justice and freedom.

The narrative matters a lot, and while I understand that the game developers can really take AC everywhere, the American Revolution was one that makes no sense.

Italy, the Middle East, Ottoman Empire, and others make sense because they are oriented around the clash between Templars and Assassins. Templars historically did have strong support from the Vatican, and Assassins did have several alliances with empires in the Middle East too.

I was looking forward to maybe 2 more games centered in Istanbul (Constantinople) as a lot of important events took place there that are central to even ongoing religious conflicts today, but Im afraid to say I am not looking forward to the Assassins Creed American Revolution game, and hope they change course for the next game after that, and not return to that era.

They could have continued to develop Ezio as a mentor to other Assassins in his old age. That would have been captivating as his role would be less, but he would still be there.

I will miss the character of Ezio a lot

AltairGreen
03-31-2012, 08:56 PM
I meant to put the thread in the console section. Someone can delete the thread in the PC section

thanks

Lass4r
03-31-2012, 09:16 PM
I think you haven't quite understood what this game is about. It's not going to be you fighting for the Revolution. I will refer to an article from Cinemablend which explains it nicely:

"We took it very seriously when we decided to have a Native American assassin, we wanted someone who was one step removed — we didn’t want a Redcoat or a Patriot."

"The narrative of the game is 'Assassins versus Templars,' it’s not about you saving the American Revolution," Hutchinson said. "You get involved in aspects of it; the story picks up before the Revolution kicks off and continues after it."
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Assassin-Creed-3-Developed-With-Native-American-Consultant-40979.html

freddie_1897
03-31-2012, 09:35 PM
I don't have a problem with it, but you can sort of see why some other British people are worried, I mean it does look like Connor is only on the colonials side because all the pics and the trailer just has him killing redcoats, something I think would be really cool is if Connor allied some redcoat commander or something

rileypoole1234
03-31-2012, 09:38 PM
George Washington was a Templar.

Saying you want another game with Ezio now is a bit ridiculous. It's especially ridiculous to want two whole AC games in the same exact place as well. I think everybody agrees here on the Forums that Ezio was a good character, but It's time for a change.

LightRey
03-31-2012, 09:44 PM

Saying you want another game with Ezio now is a bit ridiculous. It's especially ridiculous to want two whole AC games in the same exact place as well. I think everybody agrees here on the Forums that Ezio was a good character, but It's time for a change.
Why does everybody keep saying that? It hasn't been confirmed or denied that George Washington was a Templar.

albertwesker22
03-31-2012, 09:44 PM
I don't have a problem with it, but you can sort of see why some other British people are worried, I mean it does look like Connor is only on the colonials side because all the pics and the trailer just has him killing redcoats, something I think would be really cool is if Connor allied some redcoat commander or something

Well William Franklin, Benjamin Franklin's son, was a loyalist to the very end. They could dig into this and maybe make him one of Connor's allies with the British. The whole drama seems like the perfect place to insert some morally grey goodness.

rileypoole1234
03-31-2012, 09:48 PM
Why does everybody keep saying that? It hasn't been confirmed or denied that George Washington was a Templar.

I thought it said a lot of founding fathers were Templars in a glyph in AC2.

LightRey
03-31-2012, 09:52 PM
I thought it said a lot of founding fathers were Templars in a glyph in AC2.
Nope, just that Washington had a PoE. People assumed that he was a Templar, but it turns out there wasn't anything saying that was actually the case.

freddie_1897
03-31-2012, 09:55 PM
Bit off topic but how many PoEs are their?
I think I've discovered something but need some evidence

LightRey
03-31-2012, 10:04 PM
If we are to believe that all dots on the 3D map of Altaïr's PoE are PoE's, then at least 50. The highest numbered one is the Shroud (number 66), though other versions of the game say it's number 36.

rileypoole1234
03-31-2012, 10:07 PM
Nope, just that Washington had a PoE. People assumed that he was a Templar, but it turns out there wasn't anything saying that was actually the case.

Interesting. He definitely was a Freemason though, and if some odd theorists are correct, than the Masons may be connected to the Templars. I doubt it though.

oliacr
03-31-2012, 10:09 PM
i think american revolution is good to assasin's . enough from italy - middle east- ottoman empire

dxsxhxcx
03-31-2012, 10:14 PM
I believe the Assassins fight to maintain free will (meaning that sometimes the lesser evil might be the best and only option they have) and not to make the world a perfect place to live (at least not in the short run), this is what the templars are trying to do by removing our free will and making us live like zombies controlled by the PoEs powers...

De Filosoof
03-31-2012, 10:18 PM
I believe the Assassins fight to maintain free will (meaning that sometimes the lesser evil might be the best and only option they have) and not to make the world a perfect place to live (at least not in the short run), this is what the templars are trying to do by removing our free will and making us live like zombies controlled by the PoEs powers...
That's not a "perfect word", That's called prison.

Funbun777
03-31-2012, 10:19 PM
No offense but I don't see all the hate on the America iin this fourm

The American revolution was one of the greatest declaration of human rights in the history of mankind

Even if the system was flawed and did not include several minority's one cannot deny that the ideals (if applied to all humans) is a noble cause

Pod you live in a democracy

Yeah you can thank Americans during the 1700s For bringing the system into the modern world just as the Greeks did. I can see some fourm users telling ubisoft to not biased toward America and I understand. I just hope those people think of the American side as well ( also I am a direct descendent of a British loyalist who fought in the revolution.)

AdamXEve
03-31-2012, 10:26 PM
No offense but I don't see all the hate on the America iin this fourm

The American revolution was one of the greatest declaration of human rights in the history of mankind

Even if the system was flawed and did not include several minority's one cannot deny that the ideals (if applied to all humans) is a noble cause

Pod you live in a democracy

Yeah you can thank Americans during the 1700s For bringing the system into the modern world just as the Greeks did. I can see some fourm users telling ubisoft to not biased toward America and I understand. I just hope those people think of the American side as well ( also I am a direct descendent of a British loyalist who fought in the revolution.)

As an American I think your view of the American Revolution is pretty funny. "Greatest declaration of human rights." Did you read that in your fourth grade history book? I'm sorry, but the colonists only had their pocket lining on their mind. Nothing more. "Freedom from the King!" If you didn't notice Britain found it's way away from those ages all on their own and they probably would have anyway.

Also, OP, your opinion was made irrelevant the moment you suggested you would've preferred yet another Ezio game, undoubtedly using the same old ACII engine. Nothing wrong with that engine, but the series was getting stale and this change in setting, engine and main character are all very needed and welcomed.

twenty_glyphs
03-31-2012, 10:33 PM
Interesting. He definitely was a Freemason though, and if some odd theorists are correct, than the Masons may be connected to the Templars. I doubt it though.

It's funny how many of us assumed Washington was a Templar from the AC2 glyph, but it was only showing that he had an Apple. It's also funny how many people are saying online that the glyphs showed that Ben Franklin was a Templar, when it was Thomas Edison that the glyphs showed. People confuse those two all the time.

As for the Freemasons, I think they will play an important role in the game's story. There are just too many conspiracy theories about them to pass up. I've even read that the Freemasons themselves didn't support the Revolution as an organization, but allowed members to act on their own consciences in deciding which side to support. I'm sure they'll delve into the theory that the Templars became the Freemasons as well. But then there's still the point that I think the British Masons and American Masons had different views on things. And the fact that the Freemason symbol looks so much like the Assassin's Creed logo can't be a coincidence.

morpheusPrime08
03-31-2012, 10:43 PM
I was also one that was a bit specticle of the american revolution, but after doing my research and reading most of the interviews I must say the american revolution sounds very interesting.

By the was whats up with all the british folks being offended, even though we know how the American revolution ended up, there has been many aticles and interviews with the devs saying were not playing mel gibson from the patriot and that Connor will be on on both sides, just because in the little bit of video and pictures we only see red coats being killed, it doesnt mean anything.
What am I supposed to be offended every time a monority dies or is rscially stereotyped in games and movie, if that was the case then I should be like you guys and give them up comepletly?

pacmanate
03-31-2012, 10:58 PM
All of us british folk aren't offended. Most of us won't even care, it is a game above all.

morpheusPrime08
03-31-2012, 11:10 PM
All of us british folk aren't offended. Most of us won't even care, it is a game above all.

Thank you im glad to hear that

Timeaus
03-31-2012, 11:22 PM
I don't think every British people are offended by setting of the game and it's probably a small amount of people that don't like the setting. I personally like the new setting because it's something fresh and new for the series and it make sense with the overall story of Desmond trying to prevent the end of the world scenario. And I'm really glad that Ubisoft is putting a lot of efforts into this game. I also think it's little ridiculous to have another game with Ezio, although a lot people like Ezio as a character I think people are getting tired of him after having 3 games about him.

Captain Tomatoz
03-31-2012, 11:35 PM
I'm not fussed at all about the setting or which ever side I'm on. Its just a game after all (even though its probably going to be the best game ever!!! :D).

I think the reason people are getting worried though is because even though the developers are saying that Connor isn't on either side, there isn't much evidence for that so far as the only screenshots of Connor fighting are against redcoats.

JumpInTheFire13
03-31-2012, 11:59 PM
We saw Ezio die. That means he's dead. Hence, no more games with Ezio.

Captain Tomatoz
04-01-2012, 08:52 AM
Yeah Ezio was getting way too old. And even though I really enjoyed revelations, the renaissance era was also getting old. I think it was a brilliant move by ubisoft to move somewhere drastically different.

Scystab
04-01-2012, 09:11 AM
I agree with Tony. Even though I was very sceptic about the new setting at first, I am very excited now.

Just like the developers said: at first, everyone was goin mad about Renaissance and Itally - how this is totally wrong and there is nothing interesting in that period or space, just some paintings. But look at us now, we can't part ourselvs from it.

So just give it a chance and wait for it. We might be even more excited about ACIII once we taste it.

/Scy

LightRey
04-01-2012, 09:17 AM
I agree with Tony. Even though I was very sceptic about the new setting at first, I am very excited now.

Just like the developers said: at first, everyone was goin mad about Renaissance and Itally - how this is totally wrong and there is nothing interesting in that period or space, just some paintings. But look at us now, we can't part ourselvs from it.

So just give it a chance and wait for it. We might be even more excited about ACIII once we taste it.

/Scy
People said that about Renaissance Italy?! Kids these days... -_-

Assassin_M
04-01-2012, 09:19 AM
People said that about Renaissance Italy?! Kids these days... -_-
I actually cant believe it 0_o

freddie_1897
04-01-2012, 09:50 AM

I know, I'm not worried about killing redcoats, I'm only worried that this will spur on that old America vs England argument on youtube

tarrero
04-01-2012, 02:12 PM
I know, I'm not worried about killing redcoats, I'm only worried that this will spur on that old America vs England argument on youtube

True, I remember that occured in youtube during the first days after the release of the trailer.

pacmanate
04-01-2012, 02:18 PM
You have to remember that it is normally grown men with too much pride that troll on youtube videos. At the end of the day, them not liking the American Revolution setting won't make Ubi change it. If they don't like it, don't buy it! And good riddance to them

deadly_thought
04-01-2012, 05:00 PM
revolution was a bad choice its been done a million times over ezio was tired after AC2 im a traditionalist i dont think ezio had the appeal of altair and the setting again was the wrong place that being said i never intended to buy AC3 and will be getting it for free like alot of other people after brotherhood and revelations i have no faith theyll deliver a game worth paying for and i expect to see you alll here when we get hit with confused mess that is AC3

should be better than ACR though but then so is dropping a brick on your foot

Assassin_M
04-01-2012, 05:04 PM
revolution was a bad choice its been done a million times over ezio was tired after AC2 im a traditionalist i dont think ezio had the appeal of altair and the setting again was the wrong place that being said i never intended to buy AC3 and will be getting it for free like alot of other people after brotherhood and revelations i have no faith theyll deliver a game worth paying for and i expect to see you alll here when we get hit with confused mess that is AC3

Your loss..
But I suggest that If you`ll get the game, pay for it..
These guys worked hard on this thing..

deadly_thought
04-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Your loss..
But I suggest that If you`ll get the game, pay for it..
These guys worked hard on this thing..

its actually not my loss at all its my gain i get it for free and ill get a free online access code too so im SMILING :D revelations came with more than 100 game bugs like hell will i pay for the next installment and like hell are they working hard

let me be clear had i not been screwed over on my day 1 purchase with BH and REVELATIONS id gladly pay day1 like i have for all of them except AC1 but i did get screwed over so i hardly intend to reward them with money

brick177
04-01-2012, 05:16 PM
How many Americans can even trace their ancestry back to the Revolutionary war? Most of us are the descendants of immigrants that came in the centuries following the war. The whole American vs. British thing is completely made up by people who just need to have something to argue about.

Assassin_M
04-01-2012, 05:29 PM
its actually not my loss at all its my gain i get it for free and ill get a free online access code too so im SMILING :D revelations came with more than 100 game bugs like hell will i pay for the next installment and like hell are they working hard

let me be clear had i not been screwed over on my day 1 purchase with BH and REVELATIONS id gladly pay day1 like i have for all of them except AC1 but i did get screwed over so i hardly intend to reward them with money
You have to appreciate the hard work they put into this thing..
Do you know how to create a game ?
Do you know the time it takes ?
Do you know the physical and mental strain put into this game ?
The Animations they claim to have made are HELL to go through..
and dont let me start with the A.I
You have no Idea how much thought is needed for the A.I only..
The Programming, The Art, The design..
Its really hell of a load, and its not easy for you to just come up and say "im not spending money on this"
Its really insulting..
Dont Buy it ? fine..
But dont enjoy it for free..

albertwesker22
04-01-2012, 05:34 PM

Do you want fries with that ignorance?

xOMGITSJASONx
04-01-2012, 05:44 PM
I think its the best setting out of all AC games already. I'm partial because I am American. I thought George Washington was a Free Mason not a Templar.

Dagio12
04-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Do you want fries with that ignorance?

or perhaps periods for those sentences.. sheesh!!! :D

I think it's pretty unfair to be so judgmental about something before you've even seen any footage. Not to mention, I haven't seen many games set in the Revolution, let alone being done the way Ubi tends to pull of AC3... but to each there own i guess.

PhonedZero
04-02-2012, 05:51 AM
I am a Freemason, hopefully I can clear up one thing, Washington was a Freemason AND a Knights Templar. He belonged to the York Rite, which is an concordant body of Freemasonry. The pinnacle of this rite is being symbolically made a KsT. There are at least two symbols on his masonic apron that confirm that he was a member of the York Rite, and a Knight of the Templar.

http://www.pagrandlodge.org/mlam/apron/

rain89c
04-02-2012, 06:49 AM
I think its the best setting out of all AC games already. I'm partial because I am American. I thought George Washington was a Free Mason not a Templar.
opinions are opinions, personally, i think the american setting is the worst setting of all, and im american too.
there just isnt anything unique in the american setting when one thinks of it, compared to other historical periods in other countries, its difficult to explain...
but im sure one thing that will be impressive is the new revamped parkour system and its animations.

deadly_thought
04-02-2012, 07:34 AM
You have to appreciate the hard work they put into this thing..
Do you know how to create a game ?
Do you know the time it takes ?
Do you know the physical and mental strain put into this game ?
The Animations they claim to have made are HELL to go through..
and dont let me start with the A.I
You have no Idea how much thought is needed for the A.I only..
The Programming, The Art, The design..
Its really hell of a load, and its not easy for you to just come up and say "im not spending money on this"
Its really insulting..
Dont Buy it ? fine..
But dont enjoy it for free..

i dont care if it is insulting to them they couldnt care less why should i and im being given a game for free like hell will i say no to that as far as enjoying it i only want to see the ending at this point i couldnt care less about the game itself right now just gunna be glad to be done with ubisoft

deadly_thought
04-02-2012, 07:36 AM
or perhaps periods for those sentences.. sheesh!!! :D

I think it's pretty unfair to be so judgmental about something before you've even seen any footage. Not to mention, I haven't seen many games set in the Revolution, let alone being done the way Ubi tends to pull of AC3... but to each there own i guess.

ive seen the first 4 games i dont need to see footage for part 3 as far as dots in a sentence i dont find them particularly useful or meaningful to my life at present but hey to each their own :D

brick177
04-03-2012, 02:16 AM
opinions are opinions, personally, i think the american setting is the worst setting of all, and im american too.
there just isnt anything unique in the american setting when one thinks of it, compared to other historical periods in other countries, its difficult to explain...
but im sure one thing that will be impressive is the new revamped parkour system and its animations.

The wilderness is the unique aspect of the new world. Ubisoft is dumping all their eggs into the new wilderness concept. So, as far this game being unique, it will all come down to how well they pull of the Wilderness.

Acrimonious_Nin
04-03-2012, 02:20 AM
The wilderness is the unique aspect of the new world. Ubisoft is dumping all their eggs into the new wilderness concept. So, as far this game being unique, it will all come down to how well they pull of the Wilderness.

so true, this wilderness might set of the new style of freerunning on trees and it may become a trend in other freerunning games....revolutionary :D

brick177
04-03-2012, 02:33 AM
so true, this wilderness might set of the new style of freerunning on trees and it may become a trend in other freerunning games....revolutionary :D

I certainly think it will set the bar for the future of sandbox/freeroam games. Shoot, even linear games, people are going to ask, "why can't I climb the trees?" after AC3 comes out.

Acrimonious_Nin
04-03-2012, 02:39 AM
I certainly think it will set the bar for the future of sandbox/freeroam games. Shoot, even linear games, people are going to ask, "why can't I climb the trees?" after AC3 comes out.

lol Yes that is true. Playing any other game with free running and not having the ability to climb trees will feel empty, and like as if we are playing an out dated game IMHO :D.

Blind2Society
04-03-2012, 02:47 AM
I'm Commander Shepard, and this is the dumbest thread on the Citadel.

Acrimonious_Nin
04-03-2012, 02:57 AM
I'm Commander Shepard, and this is the dumbest thread on the Citadel.

Halo forums...different URL sorry :D

tarrero
04-03-2012, 03:13 AM

In terms of architecture is "weak", but its historical "value" and the many parties involved make it VERY plot and scheme wise (although I think French revolution would have been even better) But since this is been on the making from 2009 to this year, really gives alot a hope that this game is going to be AWESOME.

rain89c
04-03-2012, 03:38 AM
In terms of architecture is "weak", but its historical "value" and the many parties involved make it VERY plot and scheme wise (although I think French revolution would have been even better) But since this is been on the making from 2009 to this year, really gives alot a hope that this game is going to be AWESOME.
There are many countries that's got what you said about historical value involving many parties and conspiracies.
I think the East Asian countries has WAY more of these than America, East Asian people are verrrrrry surreptitious and tactful in terms of diplomacy and basically for everything concerning authority or money.
And just because they've worked on it for 2+ years, it doesnt change the fact that its still going to be set in America, no many how much they work on it.
The setting ain't gonna wow much people this time, because a lot of what we live in today is basically a modern version of it, you won't see a lot the unique ancient life styles from the past,so.. ya know what i mean.

Im sure the game will be awesome, but not for the setting, but for the new animations, parkour abilities, new protagonist story, and the Native's villages. Basically what the new engine can produce visually.

AdamXEve
04-03-2012, 04:36 AM
Halo forums...different URL sorry :D

LMAO! You were right, B2S. Dumbest thread ever.

tarrero
04-03-2012, 05:07 AM
There are many countries that's got what you said about historical value involving many parties and conspiracies.
I think the East Asian countries has WAY more of these than America, East Asian people are verrrrrry surreptitious and tactful in terms of diplomacy and basically for everything concerning authority or money.

Are you sure? Lets see, Japan "opened" itself to the rest of the world only after the 1853, before that, it was not very much of diverse in terms of the quantity of parties or cultures, in fact, during most of the Edo period, there was this policy called "sasoku" , when the sole idea of foreign contact was prohibited and punished with death.That setting is badass, the fighting style, wars and all that stuff that really suit the mechanics of the game, but aside from the japanese people, not many "parties" were involved, unlike the crusades, or AC3 setting, which is not a necessarly bad though, but that certainly proves wrong your point.

PD In Asia, I would go to India as my desired setting.....

frogger504
04-03-2012, 06:11 AM

How about his appearance with Napoleon and Elizabeth and he's done some crap stuff and he wears a pendant with a cross on it? Well it's actually the Golden Dawn.

rain89c
04-03-2012, 06:26 AM
Are you sure? Lets see, Japan "opened" itself to the rest of the world only after the 1853, before that, it was not very much of diverse in terms of the quantity of parties or cultures, in fact, during most of the Edo period, there was this policy called "sasoku" , when the sole idea of foreign contact was prohibited and punished with death.That setting is badass, the fighting style, wars and all that stuff that really suit the mechanics of the game, but aside from the japanese people, not many "parties" were involved, unlike the crusades, or AC3 setting, which is not a necessarly bad though, but that certainly proves wrong your point.

PD In Asia, I would go to India as my desired setting.....
What's the need for multiple cultures when the main focus of the setting would be Japan, and Japan has one of the richest cultures in history anyways, so i dont see what youre getting at by needing more cultures.
by parties, i meant parties within its own established system, parties as in variety of individuals with differring opinions on how to operate society.
Why do you think Ninjas were hired to assassinate? to assassinate corrupt officials and such.
and whats Japan not being opened to foreigners have to do with anything?
an ac game set in japan doesn't have to relate to europe or anywhere else to make a successful working game, if thats what youre trying to say..

so what if only japanese people were involved? there are enough parties within the japanese people to make the game work.
what's that got to do with anything about japan not working?

LightRey
04-03-2012, 12:41 PM
How about his appearance with Napoleon and Elizabeth and he's done some crap stuff and he wears a pendant with a cross on it? Well it's actually the Golden Dawn.
He's mentioned along with them because all three possessed (different) apples. The cross stuff I know nothing about, as it's not mentioned in the AC universe and I know very little about American history.

brick177
04-03-2012, 12:53 PM
I don't think the three ever met. Certainly, Elizabeth never met the other two. But even Napoleon was way too young and inconsequential to ever meet George Washington while Washington was still alive.

Elizabeth I (7 September 1533 – 24 March 1603)
George Washington (February 22, 1732 – December 14, 1799)
Napoleon Bonaparte (15 August 1769 – 5 May 1821)

BraxtonNelson
04-03-2012, 04:58 PM

Apparently you've never dropped a brick on your foot; and i have yet to see a game about the American Revolution.
Not to mention you just admitted to Piracy.

BraxtonNelson
04-03-2012, 05:03 PM

four words: YOUR SUCH A BABY.
Sorry to double post, but you need to be told what you are, grow up and except that life doesnt give you everything you want; whether you thought BH or Revelations were great games doesnt concern me, I and a million others will agree that any and all Assassins Creed games are complete artistic masterpieces.

Assassin_M
04-03-2012, 05:10 PM
four words: YOUR SUCH A BABY.
Sorry to double post, but you need to be told what you are, grow up and except that life doesnt give you everything you want; whether you thought BH or Revelations were great games doesnt concern me, I and a million others will agree that any and all Assassins Creed games are complete artistic masterpieces.
By insulting you`ll just sink to the same lows he has..
just leave him be..
people like him only listen to their own voice, just like a machine thats set on something..

BraxtonNelson
04-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Sometimes i just let my anger out on people that are constantly complaining about the series. If you dont like it take your complains somewhere where people agree with you? or even appreciate it? Forgive me.

Assassin_M
04-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Sometimes i just let my anger out on people that are constantly complaining about the series. If you dont like it take your complains somewhere where people agree with you? or even appreciate it? Forgive me.
Don`t worry about it..
Its Ok, just dont let your anger give him more attention than he deserves..

UrDeviant1
04-03-2012, 05:37 PM
I bet my Freedom Edition that he goes out and buys the game on day 1. He's just over exaggerating.

KillGhast
04-03-2012, 05:50 PM
When I saw this game coming out, I just need to have it! Something attracts people to it, wether it's the graphics, wildlife, etc. Normally I don't pre-order games so soon but when I saw the CE's, I just pre-ordered the Freedom edition.

To stay ontopic, there are always people complaining (every game has this problem). If you don't like the setting of the game or whatever, don't argue about it. People complain about AC3 over little details but I'm 1000% sure they will buy it!

UrDeviant1
04-03-2012, 06:02 PM
When I saw this game coming out, I just need to have it! Something attracts people to it, wether it's the graphics, wildlife, etc. Normally I don't pre-order games so soon but when I saw the CE's, I just pre-ordered the Freedom edition. !

Same here. In fact I hardly ever pre-order games at all. But like you said, as soon as I saw the CE's I knew I had to!

rileypoole1234
04-03-2012, 06:05 PM
i dont care if it is insulting to them they couldnt care less why should i and im being given a game for free like hell will i say no to that as far as enjoying it i only want to see the ending at this point i couldnt care less about the game itself right now just gunna be glad to be done with ubisoft

To say Ubisoft couldn't care less is absolutely absurd.

How about Grammar? You're really going to write like that? Really? God...

jmk1999
04-03-2012, 08:41 PM
alright, guys... tone it down a bit. i sense some overwhelming hostility here.

AltairGreen
04-10-2012, 03:15 AM
Hey peeps,

Well, I have read most of the comments, and will get back to some of them in due time, but I am raising a serious point here that I think most did not really see. One thing that appealed to me with the AC franchise was the historical accuracy in explaining the motives behind the original Assassins and leading it through to AC II, Brotherhood, and Revelations. It was the continuous struggle for justice against injustice.

Now, the problem that arises with the American Revolution that despite it symbolizing the aspirations of 'independence' from Britain, what exactly did it represent? American history is something that is not light on the ears. There is the genocide of the American Indians and the slavery of the Africans - a systematic brutality that most do not want to even speak off. This is the problem. The developers have to somewhat keep to the reason that drives an Assassin to be an Assassin and working to give 'independence' to a colonial system that upheld the slavery of the Africans and the whole scale genocide of the Native Americans/American Indians is unrealistic and not expected. It takes molding stories around the Assassin order to a whole new level and completely blemishes the historical narrative that gave rise to the Assassin order.

I understand the need to have new environments, but to place the Assassins and put them at the forefront of the fight for "Americas" independence is unkind to their legacy- a legacy in which they always fought against the unjust whoever they were- never siding with them in any way.

Now, I am an American, and I for one do not want to know about the history of America which everyone can agree is nothing to beam about. It is a dark history and not one I want to see be retold through rosy glasses - there was nothing nice about it.

I do think the AC games could have continued to fluctuate between the Middle East, Christian/Royal Europe, and the Ottoman Empire for a 2 more games as there was a lot that remains to be told.

Where would I like to see the next game after the failure that I predict AC3 will be? Well, it would make sense to place the next game in Persia where it all began. The Assassin- Hashahins began in Persia, and maybe looking at the reasons for why they formed would make an interesting game.

My take. Please dont get offended, but I feel I brought up some justified points.

AltairGreen
04-10-2012, 03:21 AM

He was most definitely a Templar. The dollar bill has the one eyed symbol. Its actually synonymous with the devil. Madonna, Jay-Z, Lady gaga, Rihanna, and numerous other celebrities are known to use the symbol of the ONE EYE. Jay-Z even sings about being in the Illuminati, and his clothing brand shows the One Eye all the time.

People, this stuff is not conspiracy anymore. Its real, and you should be concerned

Acrimonious_Nin
04-10-2012, 03:35 AM
He was most definitely a Templar. The dollar bill has the one eyed symbol. Its actually synonymous with the devil. Madonna, Jay-Z, Lady gaga, Rihanna, and numerous other celebrities are known to use the symbol of the ONE EYE. Jay-Z even sings about being in the Illuminati, and his clothing brand shows the One Eye all the time.

People, this stuff is not conspiracy anymore. Its real, and you should be concerned

G.W is not known for being a Templar in the AC universe. He was just a Colonial General >_> . The ''one-eyed symbol'' is synonymous with Freemasons as the upside down pentagram is to satanism, and no jay-z will not be in the game :D.

X10J
04-10-2012, 04:59 AM

No, The All-Seeing Eye represents the ubiquitous observance of a supreme being (usually God). It isn't Satanic.

Now, back on topic. Firstly, understand that the Assassin's =/= the Revolutionaries, the Assassins aren't doing everything that the Revolutionaries are doing. I.e. the Assassins aren't cool with what's going on with the Native Americans, I know this because the allow a Native American to join them. I doubt they're cool with people killing of the race of one of their own members. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's going to be a fairly large plot point.

Secondly, the American Revolution isn't significant because of it's effect on America. Rather, the American Revolution is significant because it represents a movement that was growing throughout the world of Independence, not American Independence, but Human Independence. It's the same movement that would lead to the French Revolution (which I personally think is a better example and would've made a better setting, oh well), and to Thomas Payne's writing "Man has no property in man." Now, did the American Revolution start this movement? No, but it certainly is a significant milestone.

Thirdly, not all American Revolutionaries were completely responsible for African slavery and Native American mistreatment . "I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." That's a quote from George Washington. Now personally I think there were probably some people crossing the Atlantic who may have wished more strongly than old George, but the point still stands. At least some of the Revolutionaries wanted an improvement. Personally, though, I'll agree that the compliance of the Revolutionaries was wrong and made them at least partially responsible, but it was an improvement. Furthermore, even after the Revolution was won (especially before) America was still cooking, so to speak (and yes, that is a Doctor Who reference). The government was still trying to work out what it would allow and what it wouldn't. Before the Revolution you didn't have a single body of people saying agreeing on what was right or wrong, there really wasn't any cohesion. Hell, before the Revolution there weren't any people from America, just people from Massachusetts or from Virginia.

Finally, Some Revolutionaries are Templars. Templars are infiltrators, it stands to reason that some would want to work their way into the Revolution to sabotage it, or guide it the way they wanted it to go (which does happen by the way, I believe it's mentioned somewhere.). Like, for example, keep slavery around for as long as possible, or direct the law in favour of powerful business men.

Look, it's going to be more than just Assassins/Revolutionaries vs Templars/English. Personally, I think/hope it'll be more like AC1 where you were in the midst of the war, and you did participate, but there was more to it and you had your own motivation. But that's just me.

Post Script: It's good to be back.

PhonedZero
04-13-2012, 02:15 AM

He was a Templar but thats the only thing you are correct about. The eye over the pyramid(reverse of the Great Seal of the US) was not added to the dollar bill until the early 20th century. It is synonymous with the All Seeing Eye of God, not the devil. You should not be concerned.

http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/symbolism/all_seeing_eye.html

The iconographic eye
The symbolic usages of the eye can be divided into a number of types. First, the eye alone: this usage is the most open to a wide range of interpretations, and misinterpretations. It can be anything from representing the benevolent, omnipotent all-seeing eye of God to representing an evil malevolent being or society. It can represent security and protection when used by Pinkerton’s Detective Agency, or intrusive tyranny when used in movies to represent oppressive regimes, species or ideologies.
The next most common representation is the eye inside a triangle. The equilateral triangle is a common symbol for Deity in any culture that has worshipped the triune nature of God. Examples can be seen in the Pfarrkirche at Grmunden am Traunsee, built in 1626, the Fisherman’s church at Traunkirchen, and the church of the monastery of St. Florian near Linz.
The eye inside a glory, or radiating lines, more clearly defines the eye as representing the all-seeing eye of God and was a common Christian symbol in Renaissance art and early lithography.
The hamsa, or eye in the palm of a hand, is an Arabic and Jewish apotropaic amulet for magical protection from the evil eye. The word hamsa, or hamesh, refers to the five digits on the hand. Also called the hand of Fatima, in reference to the daughter of Mohammed, or the hand of Miriam, the hamsa appears in a two-thumbed, bilaterally symmetrical form, as well as in a more natural form in which there is one thumb. Archaeological evidence suggests that the hamsa predates both Judaism and Islam. Examples can also be found in Roman art and South American hoodoo iconography. It has no masonic significance.
The representation of an eye in or above a pyramid derives its usage from the unique representation on the reverse of the USA Great Seal, most commonly found on the American dollar bill. There is no documented illustration of an eye together with a pyramid prior to 1783. Neither the eye nor the pyramid have ever been uniquely masonic symbols, although the Grand Lodge of Italy incorporated combined the image into its seal in 1805. The combining of the eye of providence overlooking an unfinished pyramid is a uniquely American, not masonic, icon. While the all-seeing eye appears on early embroidered masonic aprons, there are no available documents showing the all-seeing eye associated with Freemasonry prior to 1797 and none at all related to the Bavarian Illuminati.

Jamison_J_B
04-13-2012, 03:19 AM

I'm sorry, but people like you really piss me off. You think you have a right to download proprietary software for free? Not only does the act hurt the community (of which you seem to care nothing for), but it is selfish, illegal and just plain f**ked up. If you knew what kind of hard work goes into the coding, animation implementation and the art...I think you would at least have enough respect and courtesy for the developers not to do want you say.

BeCk41
04-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Hi people,

Im a little bit disappointed with the AC teams selection of the American Revolution as the new theme/story behind ACIII.

I feel like there is too much horrifying stories about the American Revolution which really does not make a person comfortable playing a role which assists it.

The American Revolution saw the massacre of the Native Americans, and also the continued slavery of Africans. Assassins (hashashins) would not fight for or represent such a system that is flawed and unjust. It doesn't reconcile with the historical realities around the Assassins who fought for justice and freedom.

The narrative matters a lot, and while I understand that the game developers can really take AC everywhere, the American Revolution was one that makes no sense.

Italy, the Middle East, Ottoman Empire, and others make sense because they are oriented around the clash between Templars and Assassins. Templars historically did have strong support from the Vatican, and Assassins did have several alliances with empires in the Middle East too.

I was looking forward to maybe 2 more games centered in Istanbul (Constantinople) as a lot of important events took place there that are central to even ongoing religious conflicts today, but Im afraid to say I am not looking forward to the Assassins Creed American Revolution game, and hope they change course for the next game after that, and not return to that era.

They could have continued to develop Ezio as a mentor to other Assassins in his old age. That would have been captivating as his role would be less, but he would still be there.

I will miss the character of Ezio a lot

Yes, it was a time of War against the British and slaughtering of Native people and also the beginning of slavery... but no one has really touched, or briefed upon this subject, and I think thats why its being done. And I'm sorry to say, but Italy, Jerusalem, Istanbul aren't very glorious and wonderful places either, these places have had shocking things happen during their time that I'm sure you can't even imagine. All I can say is that they will depict the life at the time as the way it was in AC3, and showing audiences a completely new perspective during this time. The game dev's at Ubisoft have done such a great job at hinting certain events and locations that they will do a good job in this, a lot of people will disapprove of this game at first but over time it might come to be a new beginning to the Assassins Creed franchise.

punkyskunk
04-15-2012, 04:11 AM
Ezio annyoed me alot... He risked the altair memories codex thing for some chick... That was kinda stupid

Abeonis
04-15-2012, 04:31 AM
I feel I should point out that just because George Washington was a Freemason (who in AC lore are a branch of the Templars) does not mean Washington himself was a Templar. The vast majority of Abstergo's employees are not members of the Templar Order, in fact, most don't even know of their existence, despite the fact that Abstergo is the Templar front organisation in the 21st Century.

In closing; whilst it is entirely possible that George Washington was a Templar, his membership in the Freemasons and/or his coming into possession of a Piece of Eden at one point in his life does not prove beyond all doubt that he was.

EDIT: Also, with regards to the whole Brit v. American arguement, remember that at this stage in history there were no "Americans" (Native Americans is another matter). Washington, Franklin, Revere, Jefferson and the rest were all British. The idea of being "American" didn't come about until a long time after the war ended.

punkyskunk
04-15-2012, 04:41 AM
If you go around looking at every eye in culture and all symbols of fire/passing the torch (statue of liberty) and promethues/the devil/ the morningstar ( rockefellor center) youll sound like a schysto

Perk89
04-15-2012, 04:42 AM
Literally the more people try to suggest that the AR was a bad setting, the more I'm convinced it is the PERFECT setting. I haven't been this excited about a game since the last Fallout. Everything about it is perfect.

The only counter argument I hear against it is "zomg Amerikuh?? Noo!!"

punkyskunk
04-15-2012, 05:04 AM
Literally the more people try to suggest that the AR was a bad setting, the more I'm convinced it is the PERFECT setting. I haven't been this excited about a game since the last Fallout. Everything about it is perfect.

The only counter argument I hear against it is "zomg Amerikuh?? Noo!!"
^^^ this athousand times over