PDA

View Full Version : Corey May "I have a very specific way to go there."

Blind2Society
03-31-2012, 05:12 AM
Sorry to bring up the age old argument, but I was just reminded of it while watching Building The Assassin's Creed Universe video on gameinformer.com.

In the last minute or so of the video they discuss the settings of AC and where they could or could not go. Corey May says two things I have felt since the discussion was brought up.

On the subject of WWII he says, "I would just like to say that, if we ever did go to WWII, we would find a way to do it differently." I, myself, have always felt they (the AC team) could go where ever they would like and it would be brilliant.

On the subject of Feudal Japan he says, "We do have a way to go there, someday, tucked away in the back of my head." and "I have a very specific way to go there."

He fails to elaborate but these comments just really intrigued me. A lot of people have said they would not like these time periods but I've always felt they would do them right if they chose to. These statements by Corey May just further cemented that idea in my mind.

What do you all think of this?

AlphaAltair
03-31-2012, 05:28 AM
If Corey says they can do it, then they can do it! Simple as that!
Japan would be awesome viewed through the AC lens. If they can interest non-Americans (myself included) in a location as overdone as the U.S. then I don't understand why some people are so set against it.

freddie_1897
03-31-2012, 07:59 AM
I know! At first I was worried about the setting.

2 days later and I want it in my xbox right now

Blind2Society
03-31-2012, 08:26 AM
Where are all the people that fought tooth and nail over this topic not too long ago?

Perhaps they no longer hate the idea now that the series' writer said they can do it?

Come on everyone, what are your thoughts on this?

deadly_thought
03-31-2012, 09:15 AM
i wanted feudal japan wouldve been epic now well be running around in the revolutionary war trying to stop secret societies from taking over the united states and altering its course of history (like ive never seen a million movies about this or similarly the civil war) wich will be exciting for americans in general and good on them

honestly though japan/china even africa during the colonial wars (shaka zulu as an assassin) beautiful settings lots of bloody history or even a different american time period that hasnt been done so often (war with mexico or spain) theres also the assassins weve never seen in action yet the statues under monteriggioni have awsome stories behind them wich would fit in better with the game itself

i dont follow the whole 'universe' thing just my take on the games new setting and what would be nice to see

morpheusPrime08
03-31-2012, 09:38 AM
I like the idea of an Assassins game in japan, but after watching and reading alot of interviews about it from the AC team theyre completely right, Fuedal japan is way overdone in just about every form of media. I think what ubi was trying to acheive was instead of making an assassins game in similar or obvious locations like France,China, or Egypt, they wanted to take the series someplace where many games havent touched on before.

Now im not trying to sound like a single minded douch or anything lol, infact at first I hated the idea of the american revolution and really wanted someplace like Egypt, but after watching and reading just about every interview, I think I understand where they are tying to take the assassins franchise.

Blind2Society
03-31-2012, 10:44 AM
@deadly_thought, I was going to write a long response to your first paragraph there but instead I'll shorten it. Sounds like simple blind hate towards the US to me. There are a thousand reason why this will be a great setting for every not just us Americans. From your logic I shouldn't have liked the other AC titles because I'm not from the Middle East nor Italy and there have been a ton of movies, shows, books AND games about them. Illogical comment is illogical.

Well, I guess it turned out longer than planned.

This is somewhat off topic as this thread was intended to discuss Japan and WWII as settings. If you would like to discuss this further (which I really don't ;) ) you can PM me.

pacmanate
03-31-2012, 11:03 AM
I love corey in a bro kinda way. I am sure whatever thing he has in the back of his head for Japan would be awesome

albertwesker22
03-31-2012, 11:05 AM
@deadly_thought, I was going to write a long response to your first paragraph there but instead I'll shorten it. Sounds like simple blind hate towards the US to me. There are a thousand reason why this will be a great setting for every not just us Americans. From your logic I shouldn't have liked the other AC titles because I'm not from the Middle East nor Italy and there have been a ton of movies, shows, books AND games about them. Illogical comment is illogical.

This is somewhat off topic as this thread was intended to discuss Japan and WWII as settings. If you would like to discuss this further (which I really don't ;) ) you can PM me.

I was against America at the start. When that first image popped up, I was praying it wasn't true. Now I am quite put off by my ignorance. The whole thing is shaping up to be the best AC ever. I'm going to be ordering a few books on the revolution shortly.

oliacr
03-31-2012, 11:18 AM
they can do it!

freddie_1897
03-31-2012, 12:21 PM

i agree with you, I'm looking forward to the game and I'm not american, i am slightly annoyed that the grand temple is in new york because it is way to overused and putting the most significant point in the franchise there seems like they are trying to appeal mostly at america and not anywhere else

Edit: i used to think Corey May was a woman!

Dejan507
03-31-2012, 12:46 PM
Anywhere just not Japan...
I usually would buy any assassins creed game, but a setting in Japan or China and even if they add female protagonist would surely make me skip it..
(Not trying to sound sexist/racist I just feel that way and I don't know why)

AlphaAltair
03-31-2012, 02:19 PM
Anywhere just not Japan...
I usually would buy any assassins creed game, but a setting in Japan or China and even if they add female protagonist would surely make me skip it..
(Not trying to sound sexist/racist I just feel that way and I don't know why)

Why would you skip it then?? Come on have a think about it.

Dejan507
03-31-2012, 02:27 PM
I would probably play it yes but I would not enjoy it, I just don't find that type of setting appealing

SaintPerkele
03-31-2012, 02:35 PM
I'm surprised everybody on here only discusses Japan and not WWII.

So I'm the first one to do it: If WWII is the setting of a future AC game, I don't see it taking place in a warzone, such as Stalingrad for example. Instead, we need a location where you can feel the war, but don't directly take place in it - the occupied Paris would be perfect for that. There are no fights between armies going on, but German soldiers are patrolling the streets all the time, you could basically feel the occupation and fear, the Assassins could join the Résistance.. So many possibilites. Plus, we could see the Haussmann architecture which we wouldn't see in a revolutionary Paris setting (don't get me wrong, French Revolution is still my favourite settting overall).
However, some other things would be sort of difficult.. I don't want to see the pogroms and the holocaust depicted in a game, especially in a partially fictional and not completely historically accurate one, as it could only become disrespectful. Not showing the holocaust would be Holocaust-denial however. Dead end either way. Also, it has always been part of the AC franchise to not depict one side as pure evil and the other one not. That's difficult in a WWII setting however: I don't even have to think twice when saying that the persons responsible for the crimes of Hitler's regime (so both the German nazis as well as the French collaborators) are 'evil' persons, if you want to use that term - or, to be more specific, inhumane, cruel to an unbelievable extent and disgusting.
The only people on that side who could be helping the Assassins would be normal German soldiers (for all the people who are not too familiar with the topic, most German men were forced to join the Wehrmacht, whether they were convinced by the Nazi ideology or not - both my grandfathers were stationed in Paris among other locations and warzones and I know for a fact that neither of them was a Nazi).
And, something gameplay related, fights would become extremely weird with soldiers having no swords and not even the bad guns of the American revolutionary war, but precise machineguns.

And now for something completely different.. I read some of the posts in this topic regarding the supposed former hatred against America and so on. A lot of people, including myself, were against ACIII being set in America, but are now convinced that it could become the greatest AC game so far. And not because we hate the United States or Americans, because modern day America is overused in media or simply because we aren't American. No, the reasons (at least for me) are these:
- Yes, there were big towns in the early days of the United States, I know. But we all know that they lacked monumental buildings and a long history, unlike today, were American cities are some of the biggest and modern architectural most pleasing cities on the world. So before the announcement of the Frontier and the fact that you can climb trees and rocks, I suppose you can understand our concern. As by now, it's entirely gone.
- Before Ubisoft confirmed, that both fractions will be depicted rather gray, we got to see huge American flags everywhere and Connor killing nobody but Redcoats. The Assassins being in the middle of several fractions, with none of them being really evil or really good, belongs to the AC franchise. So before said announcement, the game seemed patriotic and somewhat out of place and more The Patriot like. I'm sure that you people can understand that concern too.
- We had no idea, how much they reworked everything, especially the fight system. Initially, we could not imagine AC without proper sword fight. Now we can.

I hope that clears things up. Please stop that ridiculous racism between Europeans and Americans, I don't care from which side it comes.

UrDeviant1
03-31-2012, 02:38 PM
I'm against anywhere with modern artillery, the Assassins are not about guns, and people In the early 1900's were not about blades, axe's, swords, maces ETC. So I struggle to see how they could make WWII viable and keep any form of realism, without straying too far from what makes the AC franchise great.

I know armies In the American Revolution used artillery, but It was unreliable, they still had to count on their handheld weapons In personal, one on one combat (especially the bayonet).

I don't know much of Feudal Japan, so I'll get back to you on that one...

AlphaAltair
03-31-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm surprised everybody on here only discusses Japan and not WWII.

So I'm the first one to do it: If WWII is the setting of a future AC game, I don't see it taking place in a warzone, such as Stalingrad for example. Instead, we need a location where you can feel the war, but don't directly take place in it - the occupied Paris would be perfect for that. There are no fights between armies going on, but German soldiers are patrolling the streets all the time, you could basically feel the occupation and fear, the Assassins could join the Résistance.. So many possibilites. Plus, we could see the Haussmann architecture which we wouldn't see in a revolutionary Paris setting (don't get me wrong, French Revolution is still my favourite settting overall).
However, some other things would be sort of difficult.. I don't want to see the pogroms and the holocaust depicted in a game, especially in a partially fictional and not completely historically accurate one, as it could only become disrespectful. Not showing the holocaust would be Holocaust-denial however. Dead end either way. Also, it has always been part of the AC franchise to not depict one side as pure evil and the other one not. That's difficult in a WWII setting however: I don't even have to think twice when saying that the persons responsible for the crimes of Hitler's regime (so both the German nazis as well as the French collaborators) are 'evil' persons, if you want to use that term - or, to be more specific, inhumane, cruel to an unbelievable extent and disgusting.
The only people on that side who could be helping the Assassins would be normal German soldiers (for all the people who are not too familiar with the topic, most German men were forced to join the Wehrmacht, whether they were convinced by the Nazi ideology or not - both my grandfathers were stationed in Paris among other locations and warzones and I know for a fact that neither of them was a Nazi).
And, something gameplay related, fights would become extremely weird with soldiers having no swords and not even the bad guns of the American revolutionary war, but precise machineguns.

And now for something completely different.. I read some of the posts in this topic regarding the supposed former hatred against America and so on. A lot of people, including myself, were against ACIII being set in America, but are now convinced that it could become the greatest AC game so far. And not because we hate the United States or Americans, because modern day America is overused in media or simply because we aren't American. No, the reasons (at least for me) are these:
- Yes, there were big towns in the early days of the United States, I know. But we all know that they lacked monumental buildings and a long history, unlike today, were American cities are some of the biggest and modern architectural most pleasing cities on the world. So before the announcement of the Frontier and the fact that you can climb trees and rocks, I suppose you can understand our concern. As by now, it's entirely gone.
- Before Ubisoft confirmed, that both fractions will be depicted rather gray, we got to see huge American flags everywhere and Connor killing nobody but Redcoats. The Assassins being in the middle of several fractions, with none of them being really evil or really good, belongs to the AC franchise. So before said announcement, the game seemed patriotic and somewhat out of place and more The Patriot like. I'm sure that you people can understand that concern too.
- We had no idea, how much they reworked everything, especially the fight system. Initially, we could not imagine AC without proper sword fight. Now we can.

I hope that clears things up. Please stop that ridiculous racism between Europeans and Americans, I don't care from which side it comes.

WW1/2 would be too modern for me, i guess. RDR was set in 1911 and thats the closest I'd like to see. I like AC because it takes me to another world, not just out my window or on to TV.

rileypoole1234
03-31-2012, 03:10 PM
Oh God this again...

They could do it and make it work, but I highly doubt they will. At least not right now. After Desmond's story is over there will probably be more AC's, and one certainly could go to Feudal Japan, I just don't want it to at all. I'd still play it though.

LightRey
03-31-2012, 03:35 PM
Oh God this again...

They could do it and make it work, but I highly doubt they will. At least not right now. After Desmond's story is over there will probably be more AC's, and one certainly could go to Feudal Japan, I just don't want it to at all. I'd still play it though.
It would (and should) be a very different game if they did do it. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be freerunning or that it should be some cliche, Asian ninja game, but I am saying that the experience of it all should be different. The combat and the environment should be much different. It shouldn't feel like a sequel to ACIII.

D.I.D.
03-31-2012, 04:07 PM
It would (and should) be a very different game if they did do it. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be freerunning or that it should be some cliche, Asian ninja game, but I am saying that the experience of it all should be different. The combat and the environment should be much different. It shouldn't feel like a sequel to ACIII.

With all the great work Ubisoft's done with designing ACIII's world and engine, I think it might be even more futureproof than the old system. Perhaps, in the same way that AC branched off from POP: Sands Of Time's technology, they can make all these ideas come true by making separate one-off games (but not AC universe), maybe even by farming out the development tools to partner studios.

Blind2Society
04-01-2012, 12:54 AM
I still trust Corey May and feel they would do great with both. For Japan, the way I see it, most titles that take place there have a very cartoony fictitious look and feel. If AC were to go there, the way I would compare is AC in japan would be like The Last Samurai while all others are like Ninja Gaiden. AC would feel real and classy and give us a feeling of living in that era, which I imagine was not very much like these ninja games. Most games of the setting are very over-dramatic, fake and cartoony. AC would give it a feel of realism and paint the era in a different light that I feel would be very refreshing.

As for WWII, I am still very hesitant about a modern day AC but then again, we already have a modern day character, Desmond. The first time we actually used him in a combat situation it was very corny, what with the batons and all. How they plan to go about it in ACIII I guess we'll find out.

Back to WWII, I still trust Corey May and feel they could pull it off. I don't know how but that's why I just play them and don't write them ; ) Another thing I think about when concerning this subject is, did the assassins just stop existing when humans invented effective firearms?

souNdwAve89
04-01-2012, 02:19 AM
It is true that a lot of Japanese developers have made games in the time of feudal Japan, but they haven't done it in terms of being a good game in my eyes. Some of the games aren't historically accurate either. The only ninja game that is still known internationally is the Ninja Gaiden series and the latest game didn't do so well. I agree with what Hutchinson said that if they chose to set an AC game during the time of feudal Japan, then there is that sense of familiarity. I personally wouldn't mind since it would be great to see how Ubisoft would approach it. So far, they have done a great job handling AC3 and the American Revolution setting.

Considering how much money and effort has been invested into AC3's engine, it can work for an Asian setting game. Although we haven't seen AC3's combat gameplay yet, but I picture it to be similar to how the latest Batman games are. After all, they did put a big emphasis on wanting the player to keep moving. I can picture this fighting mechanic to be similar to Asian martial arts and the fighting style of Shao Jun that we've seen in Embers. I like that the fighting styles are changing since they have created new animations for Connor, so he will be unique from Altair and Ezio. There is also the new addition called the rope dart (reminds me of Scorpion from Mortal Kombat), which can be used again as a grappling hook in an Asian setting AC game. The idea of free running on tree branches reminds me the movie Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, except more realistically of course.

Overall, I welcome any time period that Ubisoft wants to go to.