PDA

View Full Version : This is exactly what I wanted to hear!

crash3
03-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Read an interview with Alex Hutchinson, this is what Ive been wanting to hear for so long!

"A recent criticism of one-man-killing-machine games is that someone with this sort of death-dealing power would eventually draw regional or national (if not global) attention. Were you able to implement a combat system in Assassin’s Creed III that makes dispatching enemies any less arbitrary?"
"Ideally we’d build the game so that the only people you need to kill are the targets themselves, and we’re adjusting the bare-handed fighting techniques to be more about sleeper holds and other non-lethal moves to try and support this. Also we’re adjusting both the health system and the combat system to make confrontations with large groups riskier, to try and encourage the player to be more discrete.
Other than that, we try to build it into the story: Over the course of the narrative people become aware that there are assassins active in the world, so it’s not like they just ignore it."

After seeing the AC3 trailer I worried that Connor would be like Ezio, some invincible killing machine, but after reading what Alex had to say, this has given me a lot of comfort.

What are your thoughts on this? :)

pacmanate
03-30-2012, 06:44 PM
I also read that they really want stealthy stuff. So this sleeper hold thing sounds good to me!

Josegtx13
03-30-2012, 06:45 PM
This sounds nice!

Sai_Hira
03-30-2012, 06:45 PM
O so i can't run into the brit's camp and jsut kill them all?

Eh. time to activate ninja mode.

D.I.D.
03-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Perfect, exactly what I wanted too.

Looks like AC is about to rediscover itself as a game, after that recent misstep.

jmk1999
03-30-2012, 06:50 PM
hmm... the question is, can i kill a beggar here and there without an immediate desync? :rolleyes:

LightRey
03-30-2012, 06:51 PM
I love the bare-handed combat part.

D.I.D.
03-30-2012, 06:53 PM
hmm... the question is, can i kill a beggar here and there without an immediate desync? :rolleyes:

:) Well, we were always allowed the odd one or two, right?

Maybe with all this emergent behaviour in the crowds that they've been talking about, we'll see a chain of reactions if you do something like that?

CrazySN
03-30-2012, 06:55 PM
That would suck. My favorite thing about the AC games is just going around and slaughtering as much people as I can. My problem with past AC's was that it felt that there was never enough people to kill, and the addition of thousands of npc's in ACIII would solve that. Anyways, I hope they at least add an infinite health cheat, for those of us that just like killing people.

JCearlyyears
03-30-2012, 07:00 PM
slaughtering as much people as I can. never enough people to kill, for those of us that just like killing people.

I hope you realize how messed up that sounds.

UrDeviant1
03-30-2012, 07:13 PM
I hope you realize how messed up that sounds.

When you quote It like that, It would sound messed up.

freddie_1897
03-30-2012, 07:22 PM
why kill beggars when you could kill ...

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/071/8/9/Minstrels_by_WhiteWingtip.png

CrazySN
03-30-2012, 07:23 PM
Detailed information about the health system:
http://www.justpushstart.com/2012/03/assassins-creed-iii-qa/

How are you making combat a real challenge? The core for us is a redesign of the health system, so that instead
of having health units and needing to heal after combat, you now have a regenerating health system which means you can’t regain health during combat – you need to escape and rest.
We also built brand new archetypes and enemy behaviours, and redesigned the player strategy to push players to use all the different ****ons on the controller and all of Connor’s moves from counters, to offensive moves, to tools like pistols and throwing knives.

Josegtx13
03-30-2012, 07:31 PM

How are you making combat a real challenge? The core for us is a redesign of the health system, so that instead
of having health units and needing to heal after combat, you now have a regenerating health system which means you can’t regain health during combat – you need to escape and rest.
We also built brand new archetypes and enemy behaviours, and redesigned the player strategy to push players to use all the different ****ons on the controller and all of Connor’s moves from counters, to offensive moves, to tools like pistols and throwing knives.

The game is getting a little more challenging, which I like it.

Razrback16
03-30-2012, 07:32 PM
I guess I was one of the few that really liked Ezio being a one-man army -- I would not object to AC3 being challenging in the combat system in that once you are very good at (please put in virtual training again, that was so much fun to get good at) it, you can become a one-man army again like Ezio was, but make it more complicated as far as the controls.

jmk1999
03-30-2012, 07:36 PM
yeah, i considered the minstrels... but i'm not sure what their equivalent would be in AC3. after all, it's not really a period in history where we typically think of minstrels... unlike the renaissance.

UrDeviant1
03-30-2012, 07:38 PM
yeah, i considered the minstrels... but i'm not sure what their equivalent would be in AC3. after all, it's not really a period in history where we typically think of minstrels... unlike the renaissance.

Men In long coats who want to sell you their wares? I can see them getting quite annoying!

Lonesoldier2012
03-30-2012, 07:45 PM
Yes!

rileypoole1234
03-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Yes, I've read this before. I won't be doing it though, but it is cool to know that you don't really have to kill anybody you don't want to.

JCearlyyears
03-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Hello sir, would you like to buy some of my fine wares?

hmmm, yes. Oh, it seems I left my wallet at home, do you take tomahawk?

pacmanate
03-30-2012, 07:54 PM

They always annoyed me so much in AC1 and AC2. And then they started begging in PACKS. My god

Ayush_S92
03-30-2012, 08:23 PM

"Extra! Extra! Get your daily dose of news here!"

Sound familiar?

PR030T
03-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Sounds Great!

jmk1999
03-30-2012, 08:27 PM
true... though, they'd fall under the herald bracket. regardless, they might have to die to. :rolleyes:

LightRey
03-30-2012, 08:35 PM
true... though, they'd fall under the herald bracket. regardless, they might have to die to. :rolleyes:
Sounds like you might get to beat them up without penalty.

UrDeviant1
03-30-2012, 08:39 PM
I thought the people who sell the newspapers are usually kids. That's the Impression I get anyways.

Poodle_of_Doom
03-30-2012, 08:40 PM
I wonder if they'll implement choke holds at all, along with other stealth combat type moves....

UrDeviant1
03-30-2012, 08:44 PM
I wonder if they'll implement choke holds at all, along with other stealth combat type moves....

There was some mention of It In this article...

crash3
03-30-2012, 10:09 PM

Thats sounds brilliant, I definitely preferred the health system from AC1 and now its being brought back :D, anyway it feels more assassin like where you have to escape to regain synchronisation

Read the rest of the interview, everything sounds amazing, one thing that got my attention was Hutchinson mentioning that we can assassinate from cover and do running assassinations but at the same time, most of the actions and movements are new and arent carried over from previous AC games so that got me thinking-

-do you reckon we can still do air assassinations and assassinations from ledges or have those been gotten rid of?

AnthonyA85
03-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Sounds like you might get to beat them up without penalty.

From what i read in a recent article (don't have the link handy atmo), they mentioned that we won't be bribing heralds, or ripping down posters, so i'm thinking that as well as going back to an AC1 style health system, they've also gone back to the AC1 Notoriety system, where guards are suspicious of you no matter what you're doing, and if they see a dead body, they'll attack at the slightest provocation. This was a great system in AC1, since it demanded you to be stealthy when the guards were on high alert, and I for one, wouldn't be disappointed if they brought it back for AC3.

crash3
03-30-2012, 10:37 PM
I wouldnt mind some kind of notoriety system that was a lot more gradual and had more to do with compromising the brotherhood which was a big feature in AC1 but at the same time I wouldnt mind just having really suspicious guards and enjoy the challenge of avoiding them

DavisP92
03-30-2012, 10:50 PM
"for the first time for AC, NPC to NPC dynamic reactions that will directly impact gameplay opportunities"

What the heck is this?

"Connor can perform what we call running assassinations, where he can assassinate people in full sprint without losing speed."

new assassination animations :)

"Finally, of course the hidden blades are back and we’ve made some style changes so he can actually spin one of them in his hand and use it as a knife, but it’s the key to silent kills."

hidden blade knife :P

LightRey
03-30-2012, 10:58 PM
From what i read in a recent article (don't have the link handy atmo), they mentioned that we won't be bribing heralds, or ripping down posters, so i'm thinking that as well as going back to an AC1 style health system, they've also gone back to the AC1 Notoriety system, where guards are suspicious of you no matter what you're doing, and if they see a dead body, they'll attack at the slightest provocation. This was a great system in AC1, since it demanded you to be stealthy when the guards were on high alert, and I for one, wouldn't be disappointed if they brought it back for AC3.
I wasn't talking about heralds specifically, just annoying NPC's in general.

D.I.D.
03-30-2012, 11:44 PM
"for the first time for AC, NPC to NPC dynamic reactions that will directly impact gameplay opportunities"

What the heck is this?

I expect he means that NPCs will call other NPCs, and guards. We've had NPCs calling guards before, but the guards never responded to it - perhaps now they do.

albertwesker22
03-30-2012, 11:50 PM
I expect he means that NPCs will call other NPCs, and guards. We've had NPCs calling guards before, but the guards never responded to it - perhaps now they do.

Those snitches are getting tomahawked :mad:

Legendz54
03-30-2012, 11:59 PM
It would be funny if they added something like those crazy guys in AC1 who were biting their fingers and punched you whenever you got close to them :) The health system is brilliant and they have only released 1/3 of their information.

DavisP92
03-31-2012, 12:02 AM

I'd like that, i remember hearing that we can lay traps. So it would be cool to get a guard up in a tree with the rope dart and set a trap under him so when other guards came to see they were killed or wounded

Jamison_J_B
03-31-2012, 06:11 AM
It would be funny if they added something like those crazy guys in AC1 who were biting their fingers and punched you whenever you got close to them :)

Oh dear god no!​ They became utterly annoying, worse than the immovable beggers

Poodle_of_Doom
03-31-2012, 06:15 AM
Oh dear god no!​ They became utterly annoying, worse than the immovable beggers

Worse yet, half the time they caused you to desynch a mission because of them pushing you....

There was some mention of It In this article...

I read over the combat related questions and didn't see anything referenced. Can you point out specifically what you're trying to show me?

Jexx21
03-31-2012, 06:50 AM
I'm not sure if I want the AC1 notoriety system back. I think it makes sense that guards won't entirely know who you are.

Hmm...

another theory..

what if the reason why AC3's animus so far looks to have an icy-blue tone and why regenerative health is back is because the Templars captured Desmond again?

crash3
03-31-2012, 10:22 AM
If the Templars have captured Desmond he would be back in the Abstergo Animus, AC3 has the Animus 3 I dont think he is captured...yet?

Also Im glad the hidden blade has returned to its more exclusive role like in AC1, Ezio went on an utter rampage with the double hidden blade, it was unrealistic to fight guys with swords spears and axes using just two little wrist blades

I hope when using the hidden blade, the guards' behaviour is like it was in AC1 where if you try to assassinate them from the front they would push you away-an annoying thing about the Ezio games was that even after you were detected was that you could still do low profile assassinations on guards without them pushing you away which was stupid

Also one feature I really hope returns is the information videos from AC2 that Shaun Hastings narrated, about each Templar target-it gave them more of a background and gave us more justification as to why they should die, remember those? I thought they were brilliant but then ACB and ACR cut them out which was disappointing

GLHS
03-31-2012, 12:55 PM
why kill beggars when you could kill ...

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/071/8/9/Minstrels_by_WhiteWingtip.png

Lol I love this! But yeah, I agree with most. I love the combat and really everything about Ezio's games, but I will really enjoy a return to the primitive stealthy gameplay. I love that they're really trying to focus on this again. Everything that they are doing and recreating.....it all sounds fantastic. It's like the threads with topics such as "what does everybody want most in AC" and all that is coming to life. They're really investing everything they have into this game.

oliacr
03-31-2012, 01:01 PM
Sounds amazing

DavisP92
03-31-2012, 01:41 PM
If the Templars have captured Desmond he would be back in the Abstergo Animus, AC3 has the Animus 3 I dont think he is captured...yet?

Also Im glad the hidden blade has returned to its more exclusive role like in AC1, Ezio went on an utter rampage with the double hidden blade, it was unrealistic to fight guys with swords spears and axes using just two little wrist blades

I hope when using the hidden blade, the guards' behaviour is like it was in AC1 where if you try to assassinate them from the front they would push you away-an annoying thing about the Ezio games was that even after you were detected was that you could still do low profile assassinations on guards without them pushing you away which was stupid

Also one feature I really hope returns is the information videos from AC2 that Shaun Hastings narrated, about each Templar target-it gave them more of a background and gave us more justification as to why they should die, remember those? I thought they were brilliant but then ACB and ACR cut them out which was disappointing

wait we can't attack with the hidden blade, where did it say that? I'm all for it if that's true

as for the animus, since it's been upgraded. I have a feeling it has to do with Desmond's glowing arm

crash3
03-31-2012, 02:20 PM
By the way if anyone finds an interesting link with any new information, please by all means post it! :)

GunnarGunderson
03-31-2012, 03:19 PM
source on this?

freddie_1897
03-31-2012, 05:40 PM
By the way if anyone finds an interesting link with any new information, please by all means post it! :)
theres nothing new NOTHING!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3-Xyar5AkoJCWe_REPWGV4CLUVBob2t6dfWIfJsK6dbnpTNZjcw

crash3
03-31-2012, 10:08 PM
I meant to say, what does it mean when they said Connor can "spin round" his hidden blade and use it as a knife? How does he do that?

morpheusPrime08
03-31-2012, 11:39 PM
"You can now take cover against walls, and Connor will automatically adjust to hide when a guard approaches, which also leads into a new assassination move from cover." awsome

"And if you’re in a city and you see any group of people in the crowd performing an action like painting a house or cleaning, if you approach slowly Connor will begin mimicking their actions to hide amongst them." so many sweet new features and weve only heard 1/3 WOW.

SixKeys
04-01-2012, 12:10 AM
"And if you’re in a city and you see any group of people in the crowd performing an action like painting a house or cleaning, if you approach slowly Connor will begin mimicking their actions to hide amongst them." so many sweet new features and weve only heard 1/3 WOW.

Yeah, this one sounds funny. What if Connor stumbles onto a group of mimes? ;)

Razrback16
04-01-2012, 05:01 AM

I enjoyed those as well.

xOMGITSJASONx
04-01-2012, 07:04 AM
I actually like the way that sounds. It adds some realism and logic to gameplay.

crash3
04-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Does anyone know if we can still assassinate from benches? that was one of my favourite stealth moves and I hope that it is one of the few moves that are carried over to AC3, also will air assasinations and assassinations from ledges return?

Assassin_M
04-01-2012, 09:37 AM
Does anyone know if we can still assassinate from benches? that was one of my favourite stealth moves and I hope that it is one of the few moves that are carried over to AC3, also will air assasinations and assassinations from ledges return?
I dont know about benches..
But, although not yet confirmed, I can assume the air and ledge assassinations return..

crash3
04-01-2012, 09:51 AM
As good as the hidden blade combat was in ACR it was admittedly unrealistic and so I'm looking forward to using the hidden blade more exclusively as a silent kill tool-cant wait to see what running assassinations look like

Inorganic9_2
04-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Excellent! I'm liking this news. I've always wanted to have better unarmed combat (I was hoping Revelations would, looking at the intro). Personally, I've enjoyed killing only those I have to far more than everyone. When assaulting a Templar den, for instance, I only ever killed those who I thought would interfere with the attack. It adds an element of "yes, I managed to sneak here and there without being spotted by the huge guard patrols. Epic"

crash3
04-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Hopefully AC3 will challenging to the extent where you only kill those you have to, and only fight as a last resort, not charging in and massacring an entire garrison of soldiers who are only following orders and may not even know that they are working for Templars. Also it definitely feels more satisfying when you manage to slip past guards unnoticed and just kill your target plus maybe a few guards-achieve your objective without anyone knowing. I hope AC3 makes us feel the need to be stealthy to avoid physically being killed, not just failing 100% sync.

SixKeys
04-01-2012, 03:10 PM
That's the frustrating thing about full sync, sometimes it forces you to kill more people than necessary to achieve your objective when the assassins' job is to avoid killing innocents. Getting full sync on the guild missions, for example, requires you to have X amount of arrow storms because that's apparently what Ezio did: just randomly walked the streets looking for innocent guard patrols to kill in his spare time. Towards the end these types of challenges became more of a chore. I hope the full sync challenges in AC3 will gravitate more towards being as stealthy as possible, not killing as many people as possible.

crash3
04-01-2012, 05:42 PM
That's the frustrating thing about full sync, sometimes it forces you to kill more people than necessary to achieve your objective when the assassins' job is to avoid killing innocents. Getting full sync on the guild missions, for example, requires you to have X amount of arrow storms because that's apparently what Ezio did: just randomly walked the streets looking for innocent guard patrols to kill in his spare time. Towards the end these types of challenges became more of a chore. I hope the full sync challenges in AC3 will gravitate more towards being as stealthy as possible, not killing as many people as possible.

I agree, hopefully challenges will be more about hunting animals, free-running and helping/saving people rather than killing them, also I hope there is some sort of system where you can only call in the brotherhood when you absolutely need assistance and not just when you want

pirate1802
04-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Hello sir, would you like to buy some of my fine wares?

hmmm, yes. Oh, it seems I left my wallet at home, do you take tomahawk?

Lmfao

RuggedBabyJesus
04-22-2012, 03:24 AM
Well I'm sure we'll be able to kill a ton of soldiers on the battle-field. It won't really draw any attention because nobody would know that you killed all of them. I'm fine with less death-dealing in the cities though.

Jamison_J_B
04-22-2012, 04:22 AM
The stealth mechanic is more inline with assassin's creed, but I really do love going on massacre rampages. Get a group of fifty or so guards and just let loose. I'm torn in-between this article.

crash3
04-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Dont get me wrong I do see the appeal of being able to kills loads of guards but it does get boring. The games so far have been lacking a sense of satisfaction and achievement after you have just taken on multiple enemies and survived. In ACB in particular, the guards were just an annoyance and more a part of 100% sync than real enemies that were dangerous. I really hope AC3 is more challenging

Acrimonious_Nin
04-22-2012, 09:27 PM
I wish we could scalp...I would totally scalp every single person on the battle field 2500 scalps on both sides of the war . muahahahhahahahhaa !!!!

xOMGITSJASONx
04-22-2012, 10:27 PM
I agree and it sounds like it adds some "realism" to Assassins' Creed III.

Will_Lucky
04-22-2012, 11:57 PM
Never been one for stealth, it has its uses but I've always been one to just run in and murder everything between me and target and then get out of there as fast as possible.