PDA

View Full Version : The private "fight" between Johnnie Johnson and a german pilot

F16_Ramrod
03-23-2004, 08:48 AM
Hello there.
Now I need your help guys.
Recently IÔ┬┤ve been reading both Johnnie JohnsonÔ┬┤s "Wing Leader" and Gunther Bloemertz "Heaven Next Stop". And as you all might know the stories meet eachother sometimes.
So I have a couple of questions...
In "Wing Leader" Johnson meets a skilled german pilot and the press wants then to meet again but this never happend.
In "Heaven Next Stop" GuntherÔ┬┤s friend George has the same situation when someone named "Johnnie" challenge him over the french skies. I just wounder who this George was because in JohnnieÔ┬┤s book I get the picture of a mysterious and skilled pilot but in BloemertzÔ┬┤s book I find George to be a newcomer that in 1943 kills on of his own and then collide with a b17 with severe injuries. And then after D-day he gets this challenge and logical he is one of luftwaffes top aces.

WHO IS HE!?

Plz help me with this one.
IÔ┬┤ve been searhing through JG26Ô┬┤s personal records and I cant find this guy

F16_Ramrod
03-23-2004, 08:48 AM
Hello there.
Now I need your help guys.
Recently IÔ┬┤ve been reading both Johnnie JohnsonÔ┬┤s "Wing Leader" and Gunther Bloemertz "Heaven Next Stop". And as you all might know the stories meet eachother sometimes.
So I have a couple of questions...
In "Wing Leader" Johnson meets a skilled german pilot and the press wants then to meet again but this never happend.
In "Heaven Next Stop" GuntherÔ┬┤s friend George has the same situation when someone named "Johnnie" challenge him over the french skies. I just wounder who this George was because in JohnnieÔ┬┤s book I get the picture of a mysterious and skilled pilot but in BloemertzÔ┬┤s book I find George to be a newcomer that in 1943 kills on of his own and then collide with a b17 with severe injuries. And then after D-day he gets this challenge and logical he is one of luftwaffes top aces.

WHO IS HE!?

Plz help me with this one.
IÔ┬┤ve been searhing through JG26Ô┬┤s personal records and I cant find this guy

Flamin_Squirrel
03-23-2004, 10:53 AM
Looking at the list of Experten, there is only one match ive found for a pilot called Georg who flew with JG26... Georg-Peter Eder. Cant say for sure if thats the person you're after, but its something for you to go on.

Oso2323
03-23-2004, 11:54 AM
I don't recall JEJ ever challenging *any* German pilot in Wing Leader. In fact, throughout the book he stresses that aerial warfare in 43-44 was about teamwork, rather than individual duels. He mentioned a time where he chewed out S/L Wally McLeod and his pilots for that reason. I could be wrong.

ericson
03-25-2004, 06:04 AM
I have a 1958 edition of the book Wingleader. On page 237 in the chapter on Normandy reference is made to a German pilot that flies a long nose 190 leading a gaggle of 109's.He is described as elusive,skilful, dangerouse and difficiult to bring to combat unless it is of his own choosing. He is named as Matoni. The press did get hold of the story of this pilot and made up the duel to the death story. Johnnies other half red the story in the paper and sent him a nasty letter. The German press also ran the story. When printed the pilot concerned was in hospital. According to the the book the German pilot survived the war. I remember reading, may be on this forum, that the pilot wore a long light coloured scarf and named the pilot as Frey. However frey did not survive the war. Shot down and killed 060344.

Skii_
03-25-2004, 06:10 AM
In Wing Leader Johnnie describe being chased by a 190, and in particular how good the pilot was, he describes how he tried everything but this 190 remained anchored firmly to his 6

He managed to escape by diving at a ship and the resulting AAA caused his pursuer to break off the chase IIRC

http://www.skiisworld.plus.com/pilot2%20copy.jpg
XP Pro / 2200XP / Fx5950 Ultra, 1Gb Pc2700 DDR / Abit KD7A Kt400 / Carppy old case

Bremspropeller
03-25-2004, 06:41 AM
AFAIK, the german pilot was Josef "Pips" Priller (leading "Spit killer" with 68 Spits on his tally- total was 101).

http://www.brooksart.com/Ontheprowl.jpg
"Once upon the time..there was an aircraft that ruled the skies of Europe..."
http://www.virtual-jabog32.de
http://www.jg68.de.vu

Zyzbot
03-25-2004, 07:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Skii_:
In Wing Leader Johnnie describe being chased by a 190, and in particular how good the pilot was, he describes how he tried everything but this 190 remained anchored firmly to his 6

He managed to escape by diving at a ship and the resulting AAA caused his pursuer to break off the chase IIRC<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That incident was at Dieppe. Johnson saw an unusual crest painted on the side of the FW-190 below the cockpit and he thought that the marking resembled those he had seen on Italian aircraft.He therefore thought that the pilot might be Italian.

The book does not reveal any further information as to the real identity of the pilot. He never knew if the AAA shot it down or if it flew away.I found a source once that listed German fighter losses at Dieppe and a couple of FW-190's were shot down by AAA from the ships. No way to know for sure .

I have never found any source that says the Italians flew the FW-190

Cdn.Shotsilk
03-26-2004, 07:12 AM
In 'fighter pilots of world war II' by robert Jackson (1976); Chapter 3 ''Johnnie Johnson-the hunter'.
'On several occasions the pilots of 144 ( Canadian) wing encountered forty or fifty Messerschmitts led by a solitary 'long-nose' Focke-Wulf 190D-9.From intelligence sources, it was established that this machine- the latest variant of the German fighter- was flown by a renowned enemy pilot named Matoni.' It was not long before the newspapers got hold of the story, and journalistic licence turned the whole affair into a personal challenge between Johnnie Johnson and his German opposite number.
Not long after the end of the war,when Johnson was stationed in Germany, he received a letter from Matoni, who was then living in the Ruhr. Apparently the story had found its way into German newspapers, too. Matoni was apologetic, explaining that he had been shot down and had therefore been unable to accept Johnson's 'challenge'. However, it was not too late for honour to be satisfied, if the Englishman felt so inclined...