PDA

View Full Version : Philip Shahbaz VS Cez Anvar as Altair

DiamondBlade_R
03-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Does anyone know why Ubisoft decided to replace Philip Shahbaz as Altair? Although I find Cez Anvar's performance in Revelations pretty decent (it's not nearly as horrendous as the voice they gave Altair in Bloodlines, thank God), I liked Philip Shahbaz' Altair much better. His depiction of the character was believable both for the arrogant ****** he was in his early years, and for the calm, wise philosopher and Master he gradually started to become in the later stages of the game. When I read the contents of the Codex pages in ACII, I could hear Philip Shahbaz' Altair's voice playing in my head - his and no other.

Cez Anvar, on the other head, is a different sorry for me: I can't imagine his depiction of Altair writing the Codex, or confronting Al Mualim about the latter's betrayal (yes, I know that they had him repeat a line of Memory Block 7 during the flashback in ACR, but that doesn't mean it felt right for me. Something about his depiction just doesn't feel right in my head - he just lacks that sense of confidence and brashness that made Altair... Altair. He also doesn't sound quite as intelligent, in my opinion, as Philip Shabaz' Altair.

What do you people think?

Speaking of which, why did they change Abbas' voice as well? As brief as his dialogue was in the original game, I liked his depiction by Nolan North much better than the new one.

Assassin_M
03-28-2012, 01:19 PM
I personally hoped that it would`v been Shahbaz, but not everything we want can happen..
Revelations had some Voice changes.. some for the better, others not really..Altair being one of those..
I didn't mind Abbas much and Clay was better IMO..

DiamondBlade_R
03-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Why did they have so many voice actor changes? Was it a technical issue (contracts ending) or something?

AlphaAltair
03-28-2012, 01:26 PM
I prefer Shahbaz. He has a nice note of authority in his voice, I would have really liked to hear him with a Syrian/arabian accent in ACR. Anvar did an good job however I dont think he had the chops for it.

Assassin_M
03-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Why did they have so many voice actor changes? Was it a technical issue (contracts ending) or something?
Perhaps...
Nothing concrete though..

eagleforlife1
03-28-2012, 03:59 PM
I far prefered Anvar. Simply because Altair was not American and so his real accent was Anvar's.

Assassin_M
03-28-2012, 04:01 PM
I far prefered Anvar. Simply because Altair was not American and so his real accent was Anvar's.
If they had told Shahbaz to record with an Accent he would`v done so perfectly..
He`s half Arab..

eagleforlife1
03-28-2012, 04:05 PM
I'm half Welsh but I can't do a Welsh accent.

Assassin_M
03-28-2012, 04:08 PM
I'm half Welsh but I can't do a Welsh accent.
He is an experienced and talented Voice Actor, that is one thing..
The other thing is that Roger Craig Smith isn't Italian..
Cas Anvar wasn't Arabian, yet they both did Excellent Jobs in their respective Roles..
That`s why there is a "Talented" Voice actor and a "Non-talented" Voice Actor..

SixKeys
03-28-2012, 04:52 PM
I realize I'm biased because AC1 is special to me. It doesn't make sense that Alta´r would have an American accent and Shahbaz was not the most expressive voice actor around. However, his voice made Alta´r's character for me, the gruffness and arrogance, and later on his humility and wisdom. Alta´r in Revelations just didn't feel like Alta´r to me, even though Anvar got the pitch of his voice pretty close to the original sometimes. They should have just asked Shahbaz back and had him do a Middle-Eastern accent.

ShaneO7K
03-28-2012, 04:56 PM
First time I heard Altairs voice I was pretty disappointed because I was so used to the voice Shahbaz had used for him. But I grew to like it, the same way I did with Desmonds face (which I now prefer to the old one). Both I still prefer Altairs AC1 voice a little though even though it wasn't an arabic accent.

albertwesker22
03-28-2012, 05:06 PM
I realize I'm biased because AC1 is special to me. It doesn't make sense that Alta´r would have an American accent and Shahbaz was not the most expressive voice actor around. However, his voice made Alta´r's character for me, the gruffness and arrogance, and later on his humility and wisdom. Alta´r in Revelations just didn't feel like Alta´r to me, even though Anvar got the pitch of his voice pretty close to the original sometimes. They should have just asked Shahbaz back and had him do a Middle-Eastern accent.

They could have done that, but why is everyone assuming he can do an Arabic accent? The only things that have been stated here are (1)He's half Arabic (2) He is a voice actor. I don't see how those are valid reasons. He could really suck at an Arabic accent.

souNdwAve89
03-28-2012, 06:08 PM
Altair's voice actor in Revelations was great, but I wouldn't mind having the former either. Speaking outside of external reasons, Ubisoft stated that gave Altair an accent in Revelations because the seals are more powerful than a man made Animus. The new look and voice of Altair is the true representation of the person. Abstergo's Animus was still in the infant stage, which only projects the user's body or face into a desired ancestor's body. It explains why Altair looked like Desmond and sounded like an American.

oliacr
03-28-2012, 06:08 PM

Yes his accent was Anvar's but his voice is Shahbaz's.