PDA

View Full Version : [Petition] Assassin's Creed III PC Keyboard&Mouse Support

ProletariatPleb
03-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Hey guys, I was reading details about ACIII on gamespy: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/assassins-creed-2012/1221571p1.html

And I noticed near the end:

http://i.imgur.com/6jxmG.png

Why, Ubisoft? I like playing with Keyboard & Mouse, I do not enjoy the controller at all. I've always enjoyed every Ubisoft game(even if some things were a bit broken) but this to me is unacceptable. I hate to say this(I love AC down to the core) but it's a deal breaker for me, I didn't want to rant here on the forums, but this for me is bad, really really bad. (PS- I'm not here to troll or flame and I know this is not the PC forum, but I don't think anybody looks at it.)

Petition Started: http://petitionbureau.org/AC3PC

http://i.imgur.com/kWV0l.png

playassassins1
03-27-2012, 12:50 PM
I don't play games on the PC (Besides Minecraft and WoW). but i think Ubsoft is getting lazy.

LightRey
03-27-2012, 12:52 PM
From what you quoted there I'd say that it's just too much of a hassle to take mouse and keyboard controls into consideration, which I can understand perfectly well, especially considering the game is multi-platform.

I don't play games on the PC (Besides Minecraft and WoW). but i think Ubsoft is getting lazy.
Getting lazy?! SSLY?! Did you not just read all the stuff about how huge and different this game is going to be? Calling them lazy for something as trivial as mouse & keyboard controls when you can clearly see just how much time and effort they put in this game is just insulting.

playassassins1
03-27-2012, 12:59 PM
From what you quoted there I'd say that it's just too much of a hassle to take mouse and keyboard controls into consideration, which I can understand perfectly well, especially considering the game is multi-platform.

Getting lazy?! SSLY?! Did you not just read all the stuff about how huge and different this game is going to be? Calling them lazy for something as trivial as mouse & keyboard controls when you can clearly see just how much time and effort they put in this game is just insulting.

I'm not insulting them, in fact i love Ubisoft for there awesome games. And maybe Lazy wasn't the right word to say. But i just thought that it was a bit weird for them to not put M&K controls, because they did that in previous games.

ProletariatPleb
03-27-2012, 01:00 PM
From what you quoted there I'd say that it's just too much of a hassle to take mouse and keyboard controls into consideration, which I can understand perfectly well, especially considering the game is multi-platform
I have no problem as long as the game is playable WITH the mouse&kb, but that statement makes me suspicious "PC with a controller" plus with the amount of time they have to make "AC 3.5" I'd say a little keyboard & mouse coding wouldn't be that long, still as long as the game is as playable as ACII/B/R I'm fine.

TorQue1988
03-27-2012, 01:26 PM
I don't have a controller, and i don't plan on buying one. This is horrible news, because the previous games worked very well with keyboard&mouse. I really hope they will change their minds.

pirate1802
03-27-2012, 01:29 PM
I play anyways with a controller but I'd definitely want them to include K/b M support :l I think we are moving towards a day when they would stop making PC games altogether... No Kb/M support for a PC game???

http://files.sharenator.com/1_I_Dont_Want_to_Live_on_This_Planet_Anymore-s500x282-295658-580.jpg

ProletariatPleb
03-27-2012, 01:32 PM
I don't have a controller, and i don't plan on buying one. This is horrible news, because the previous games worked very well with keyboard&mouse. I really hope they will change their minds.
I'm with you, I do NOT want to use a controller and will not buy one, Ubisoft PLEASE KB&Mouse support.

LightRey
03-27-2012, 01:41 PM
I have no problem as long as the game is playable WITH the mouse&kb, but that statement makes me suspicious "PC with a controller" plus with the amount of time they have to make "AC 3.5" I'd say a little keyboard & mouse coding wouldn't be that long, still as long as the game is as playable as ACII/B/R I'm fine.
I don't think the problem lies in the code, but in keymapping. From what I've heard they've changed the controls considerably and it just seem like it's practically impossible to properly map all the keys on a keyboard and mouse.

dxsxhxcx
03-27-2012, 01:41 PM
@LightRey is easy to call something like this "trivial" when you (probably) play the game only on a console... I never had problems playing any game with mouse and keyboard and I doubt this game will be so complex that will make it "impossible" to be played with a mouse and keyboard...

anyway, I'm not surprised about something like this since it's about Ubisoft we are talking about, let's wait and see...

OFF TOPIC: I lol'd at the questions at the end of the article...

GameSpy: So when's the PC release date?

Ubisoft PR: October 30th.

GameSpy: Yeah, but when's the real PC release date?

Ubisoft PR: It's October 30th.

GameSpy: Uh huh. And can you say that with a straight face?

Ubisoft PR: You can ask me as many times as you like, but the answer will be the same.

GameSpy: Very well, let's move on. So, when will you announce the delay of the PC version?

Ubisoft PR: ...

ProletariatPleb
03-27-2012, 01:49 PM
I don't think the problem lies in the code, but in keymapping. From what I've heard they've changed the controls considerably and it just seem like it's practically impossible to properly map all the keys on a keyboard and mouse.
How can that be possible? I just read the article, it says now we have 2 face****ons instead of 4, they're simplifying it, and even so, PC has enough keys and PC gamers are used to changing keys to suit their needs.

TorQue1988
03-27-2012, 01:51 PM
How can that be possible? I just read the article, it says now we have 2 face****ons instead of 4, they're simplifying it, and even so, PC has enough keys and PC gamers are used to changing keys to suit their needs.
Yeah i don't get what is so hard about it. I wouldn't mind if they changed the control scheme completely from the console one, like have more keys for different actions not just a couple of them for all the functions.

LightRey
03-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Well it can't be code. Assigning keys is as simple as saying what signal refers to which option. It has to be keymapping. Just because they're simplifying some stuff doesn't mean they're not adding new stuff. In fact, it most likely means they are adding new stuff as that would be the main reason to change the controls in the first place.

SixKeys
03-27-2012, 02:01 PM
I was afraid of this ever since I heard how they're radically altering the control schemes. I've always been able to play these games fine with a keyboard and mouse. After four games I don't know if I could get used to a controller. But it looks like I may have to get one after all....

TorQue1988
03-27-2012, 02:14 PM
I have been so excited for this game from the get-go, and now this crap happens. It's really disappointing because the previous games played very well with keyboard an mouse (except AC1 and AC2 who had the same key symbols as the console ones). I don't want,and don't like, playing these types of games with a controller, because it doesn't have the same movement freedom as the mouse does.
I would even agree with a delay right now, just for this :(

ProletariatPleb
03-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Alright I'm starting a petition(if it matters to any AC PC fan, and Ubisoft cares about their customers). Please sign.

http://petitionbureau.org/AC3PC

dxsxhxcx
03-27-2012, 02:38 PM
they're probably doing this kind of announcement to use as excuse for the delay when they announce it...

D.I.D.
03-27-2012, 03:48 PM
That's a real shame if it's gone. Mouse and keys is always my favourite way to play, even with games in which the keyboard setup is allegedly impossible.

I hope they'll let us know more about how the gameplay works soon. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything a controller can do which keys/mouse can't, but maybe there is something. They mentioned new methods of escaping fights by holding triggers - maybe it's something to do with that. Windows can get a little funny over how many simultaneous key presses it's going to recognise.

One possibility is that Microsoft's annoying Sticky Keys are the problem. Anyone with a bit of technical knowledge knows you have to turn that function off, but a lot of game companies must get seriously annoyed about having to waste the time of their tech support over MS's inexplicable ideas of default functions. I don't know who actually likes Sticky Keys or uses it for a good purpose.

ProletariatPleb
03-27-2012, 03:54 PM
That's a real shame if it's gone. Mouse and keys is always my favourite way to play, even with games in which the keyboard setup is allegedly impossible.

I hope they'll let us know more about how the gameplay works soon. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything a controller can do which keys/mouse can't, but maybe there is something. They mentioned new methods of escaping fights by holding triggers - maybe it's something to do with that. Windows can get a little funny over how many simultaneous key presses it's going to recognise.

One possibility is that Microsoft's annoying Sticky Keys are the problem. Anyone with a bit of technical knowledge knows you have to turn that function off, but a lot of game companies must get seriously annoyed about having to waste the time of their tech support over MS's inexplicable ideas of default functions. I don't know who actually likes Sticky Keys or uses it for a good purpose.
That triggers thing is just that we will use Right Mouse ****on to escape. As now we only have to press one ****on for running instead of two.

And, I don't think Sticky Keys is a problem, moreover completely removing support for Keyboard+Mouse isn't really a...'solution'.

D.I.D.
03-27-2012, 04:00 PM
That triggers thing is just that we will use Right Mouse ****on to escape. As now we only have to press one ****on for running instead of two.

And, I don't think Sticky Keys is a problem, moreover completely removing support for Keyboard+Mouse isn't really a...'solution'.

Yeah I know it's unlikely, and I realise Ubisoft has a history of strange decisions for PC customers. I'm just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt here, since they always supported mouse/keys with the old system, and now there's a new one which we don't really know too much about yet.

Sajn12
03-27-2012, 04:33 PM
WTF? Is this necessary? I play only on PC, and now? Why they can't work on it? I really fear day, when there will be games that are playing automatically, and if we're lucky, we will control it with 2 ****ons...

PR030T
03-27-2012, 04:52 PM
LightRey you sometimes come across like you're being sponsored bu Ubi or something lol.
Seriously, how hard can it be to assign keys to actions? This is lazy, doesn't matter how much effort has gone into it.
It's either lazy or impossible, and I'm sure it could be done.
And this is coming from a non-pc gamer...

LightRey
03-27-2012, 05:05 PM
LightRey you sometimes come across like you're being sponsored bu Ubi or something lol.
Seriously, how hard can it be to assign keys to actions? This is lazy, doesn't matter how much effort has gone into it.
It's either lazy or impossible, and I'm sure it could be done.
And this is coming from a non-pc gamer...
I'm exactly saying that that isn't the problem. The problem is keymapping, which is referring to which actions are assigned to which keys in such a way that the game is playable. The problem with the mouse + keyboard setup is that the mouse can only realistically have 3 or 4 key functions assigned to it, which leaves the rest up to the keyboard. Moreover both are limited in the kind of control they can allow the player to have. They're not designed specifically for games after all. I would not be surprised if the main problem was really that too many functions would have to be performed by mouse-like input, or that simply too many keys on the keyboard would be necessary to play the game properly. It's like those songs that are impossible to actually play on the piano because you can't reach all the necessary keys with just two hands.

ProletariatPleb
03-27-2012, 05:17 PM
There seems to be some progress:
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/ubisoft-recommends-a-gamepad-for-ac3-pc-gamers-request-proper-keyboard-and-mouse-control-scheme/

D.I.D.
03-27-2012, 05:20 PM
WTF? Is this necessary? I play only on PC, and now? Why they can't work on it? I really fear day, when there will be games that are playing automatically, and if we're lucky, we will control it with 2 ****ons...

Maybe the "look" analogue stick doubles for some movement when combined with a trigger now? This is the one thing I can imagine being a problem, since the mouse could be a huge headache if you had to modify it under certain conditions.

You already get this with some games where the console's right stick is governing certain motions or menu options, and the mouse movement seems completely wrong on the PC version.

dex3108BL
03-27-2012, 05:33 PM
If this is true this will be first AC game that i would not buy. I can play SP part with gamepad but MP i can't imagine without K&M. And main reason for my decision of not buying game is disrespect for PC gamers. All games until now was fully playable on PC without exception. They are working on game for more than 2 years an they could use one worker to work only on K&M support. And they have over 6 months until game release and AC3 is playable in this stage. They have time and i can be done if they want. If they would not make proper PC game than say it and don't release it. I don't want half finished product. it is better to release game few months later that will be good PC game not bad port.

D.I.D.
03-27-2012, 05:38 PM
There seems to be some progress:
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/ubisoft-recommends-a-gamepad-for-ac3-pc-gamers-request-proper-keyboard-and-mouse-control-scheme/

Have you tried tipping the larger sites? It won't get much traction unless PCGamer, Kotaku, Gamespot etc talk about it.

AdamXEve
03-27-2012, 05:51 PM
I highly suspect this is an issue with the new dynamic controls of the game and combat; honestly I can't help but to not really care about people's inability to play with a M/KB when the game appears to be of such quality. But, meh, whatever. Buy a controller or don't play. Or wait until someone mods it.

This game is BRAND new. There is no carry over, which is why it's not absurd that this is the first AC without those functions--actually--it makes sense.

ProletariatPleb
03-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Have you tried tipping the larger sites? It won't get much traction unless PCGamer, Kotaku, Gamespot etc talk about it.
I tipped PCGamer, IGN and GI...they haven't done anything yet..should try Kotaku...doing it now.

D.I.D.
03-27-2012, 06:00 PM
I highly suspect this is an issue with the new dynamic controls of the game and combat; honestly I can't help but to not really care about people's inability to play with a M/KB when the game appears to be of such quality. But, meh, whatever. Buy a controller or don't play. Or wait until someone mods it.

This game is BRAND new. There is no carry over, which is why it's not absurd that this is the first AC without those functions--actually--it makes sense.

Huh? You know they're always trying to give you the best game they can make, right? It's not like we owe them our silence because the game looks like it's going to be great. And it doesn't make sense simply because it's a new iteration of the game, either - any new game on PC would be expected to work with mouse & keys, and if it didn't there'd be a lot of confusion.

People want to voice concerns because a statement has been made which doesn't really explain the situation. If the reason is that "the mouse is great for fast vision movement, but it's bad for what we want the right analogue control to do" then that would be understandable. We're just in the dark right now and need some more information.

oliacr
03-27-2012, 06:06 PM
good idea ...:!

kalo.yanis
03-27-2012, 06:10 PM
No keyboard and mouse support for a PC game?

And I thought Ubisoft had reached its limits of idiocy.

UrDeviant1
03-27-2012, 06:16 PM
"I don't see us Investing Hugely In a mouse and keyboard setup" Why Is this? Have fans criticized the function of this set-up In the past? Don't Ubi have time to Implement It? (doubtful). There has to be a reasonable explanation to this, so I think a Petition Is quite premature.

kalo.yanis
03-27-2012, 06:20 PM
One of the biggest video game publishers doesn't have the resources to do something that is present on (almost?) all PC games? There isn't a reasonable explanation for this, but there may be a plausible motive.

PR030T
03-27-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm exactly saying that that isn't the problem. The problem is keymapping, which is referring to which actions are assigned to which keys in such a way that the game is playable. The problem with the mouse + keyboard setup is that the mouse can only realistically have 3 or 4 key functions assigned to it, which leaves the rest up to the keyboard. Moreover both are limited in the kind of control they can allow the player to have. They're not designed specifically for games after all. I would not be surprised if the main problem was really that too many functions would have to be performed by mouse-like input, or that simply too many keys on the keyboard would be necessary to play the game properly. It's like those songs that are impossible to actually play on the piano because you can't reach all the necessary keys with just two hands.

WASD = Left Stick
Shift = RT
Tab = LT
Mouse = Right Stick
P = Start
Q = LB
E = RB
Right Click = B
Left Click = A
Caps Lock = X
Spacebar = Y
Mouse ****on 1 and 2 = Press Stick left and right
There ya go, it's not that hard, I'll take cash tyvm...

POP1Fan
03-27-2012, 06:32 PM
If this is true my hype for this game is going at least half down, not enough to kill it though.I love playing with a keyboard and a mouse and I don't plan on buying a controller.
I still think that this doesen't mean the game will not have support for K/M but that it would be hard to play it with them, and this would not stop me to do it because I will find a way.Though if it's true I will not buy the Collector's Edition like I actually plan to and will buy a controller with the money.

a_randay92
03-27-2012, 06:34 PM
I don't play games on the PC, but I signed this petition because everyone deserves to play Assassin's Creed the way it is intended to be played on each system. Consoles use controllers and PC should be mouse and keyboard.

ProletariatPleb
03-27-2012, 07:23 PM

If that was the case, they'd say it, instead they said they won't INVEST in the Keyboard and Mouse setup.

YuurHeen
03-27-2012, 07:34 PM
never thought my interest in ac would end this way.

DavisP92
03-27-2012, 08:18 PM
that really sucks for the PC gamers. Honestly i don't see the problem with using a controller but i don't play a lot of PC games (play some) but even. I'm used to a controller so i'd prefer every game i play to have that, i'm assuming that to those that are annoyed they want to use the mouse and keyboard because they are used to it. but if you like the game enough why not just get the controller, if the new elder scrolls game was only on the PC with mouse and keyboard i wouldn't complain i'd just adapt to it.

and if Ubisoft is doing it this way, there must be a certain reason. so it would be nice if they at least explain why to those that want to use the mouse and keyboard

frigabond
03-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Would every console owning assassin rush out and buy a keyboard if the positions were reversed?

Would Ubi allow such a situation to ever arise? . . . I highly doubt it. People would be upset and dumbfounded and rightly so.

K&M are default on PC as controller is default on consoles. They should code accordingly. If they can't there are others that do and could be outsourced surely.

Sukramo
03-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Wow............................................... .......

I have never played with a controller in my life except at my friends house. I have no intension of buying a controller just for this game.

I have vgotten to rank 12 prestige and love the multiplayer. PC controles are what I have mastered. Forcing a controller would take all my hard earned skill away.

I have played four, FOUR AC games with mouse and keyboard and they felt natural to me. If they will force me to buy a controller for AC3 I wont buy the game. Simple as that.

Jexx21
03-27-2012, 09:10 PM
I don't want to buy a controller! Please include KB+M controls UbiSoft, it's virtually unheard of to have games that don't have KB + M controls on the PC.

SixKeys
03-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Yeah, multiplayer is one of my biggest concerns with this. I've been playing the MP with keyboard and mouse ever since Brotherhood, it's never been a problem for me. I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of playing the SP with a controller, but if I have to get a controller for AC3, I'll have to re-learn how to play MP with a controller as well which I'm sure will take a lot of time and getting used to. That's why I think we should at least have a choice between the two.

EscoBlades
03-27-2012, 09:13 PM
"Oh, and did we mention that the PC platform is not listed for the gameís October release? Incoming delay, we call it!"

And this is why i rarely get involved in things like this. When people wilingly spread false info. The above is rubbish. At the worst, Ubisoft may delay the pc version. It happens with many other developers and publishers. I'm leaving it at that as i'm tired of the same debates over and over again. Good luck with your petition.

Sukramo
03-27-2012, 09:18 PM
That is a very unrespectful post Esco. Lots of PC users will be angry and confused when words of this "forcing of controller" spreads.

LightRey
03-27-2012, 09:25 PM
That is a very unrespectful post Esco. Lots of PC users will be angry and confused when words of this "forcing of controller" spreads.
His post wasn't even about that. There was nothing non-respectful about Esco's post. He made a point on how someone was spreading false information, which should be considered a good thing, since spreading false information, especially negative information, only causes confusion and more (unwarranted) anger.

Sukramo
03-27-2012, 09:27 PM
The last two games have been delayed for PC, ofc that guy was angry and didnt have any faith in Ubisoft left.

EscoBlades
03-27-2012, 09:35 PM
The last two games have been delayed for PC, ofc that guy was angry and didnt have any faith in Ubisoft left.

And that's fine. I can understand the cause. What i can't condone is trying to score cheap jabs from behind that cause. It comletely negates the good work that had been done in the article up till that point.

PCs are not homogenous products like consoles. Whatever you believe, multiplatform developers usually need more time to work on PC releases, to ensure they work with the widest possible combination of pc configurations. To add to that, the last few AC Ubi titles have had all the subsequent DLC unlocked for PC users day one. Or do people have such short memories now?

Sign a petition and do exactly that. Keep the cheap jabs for Jersey Shore. That was my point.

SlimeDynamiteD
03-27-2012, 09:43 PM
keep the cheap jabs for jersey shore. That was my point.

Hah ​BURN!

Sukramo
03-27-2012, 10:12 PM
he last few AC Ubi titles have had all the subsequent DLC unlocked for PC users day one.

Eh? Revelations DLC1 didnt arrive until much later. ACB did have the da vinci DLC with it, thats true.

EscoBlades
03-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Eh? Revelations DLC1 didnt arrive until much later. ACB did have the da vinci DLC with it, thats true.

All maps were unlocked from the get go. By DLC, i meant all "downloadable content", not just the paid for stuff.

SixKeys
03-27-2012, 11:14 PM
With ACB, the console players got all the pre-order stuff that us PC players paid extra for 10 days before the PC version came out. UbiGabe even had the balls to celebrate that on Facebook and Twitter: "Hey assassins! Now *everyone* can play all the exclusive stuff that some have been playing with for months." Err, no, the PC players hadn't gotten a chance to play ANYTHING at that point, exclusive or not. To me, that was the biggest slap in the face to PC players, a clear sign the company considers the PC versions as an afterthought. I don't care if the game comes with free DLC if the product itself is rushed and broken (I'm looking at you, ACR) and PC players treated like their opinions don't matter.

RosenKiller108
03-28-2012, 12:01 AM
I do not know, why are you having such flaming. I am a huge fan of ubisoft and all their games - and I played EVERY game with an x360 controller, coz it is really better, bigger game experience. I think it has a good side: maybe there won't be a delay for a PC version, I mean : the 1st v will be only controller, but there will be a patch for m&k, like if the game was delayed.

JokerSte1972
03-28-2012, 12:01 AM
bah......i want W_S_A_D

D.I.D.
03-28-2012, 12:05 AM
I do not know, why are you having such flaming. I am a huge fan of ubisoft and all their games - and I played EVERY game with an x360 controller, coz it is really better, bigger game experience. I think it has a good side: maybe there won't be a delay for a PC version, I mean : the 1st v will be only controller, but there will be a patch for m&k, like if the game was delayed.

If the PC version of any game is delayed, it won't have anything to do with the input system.

ProletariatPleb
03-28-2012, 05:53 AM
I won't say it's a lot, but I've got 257 signatures as of posting this, so that's a good start.

And thank you Esco.

Calvarok
03-28-2012, 06:39 AM
I think it just means that they don't think it will really work as well on PC.

frogger504
03-28-2012, 07:11 AM
There goes about 15-20 of their sales.

ProletariatPleb
03-28-2012, 07:13 AM
I think it just means that they don't think it will really work as well on PC.
I hope you're right.

There goes about 15-20 of their sales.
Ha ha...

http://i.imgur.com/kWV0l.png

Neon-NFO
03-28-2012, 11:36 AM
I contacted guys of RPS and they wrote a nice article about it, and Ubi confirmed that the keyboard and mouse support are IN. Thank God.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/28/assassins-creed-3-dev-says-pc-players-need-controller/

Edit: Yup, Ubisoft confirm that it will of course have mouse/keyboard support, as with previous games in the series. But still wonít tell us a release date for the PC version.

So, if the game comes out and canít be bothered to have implemented a mouse cursor for the menu options, Iím down with kicking off a fuss. Thatís just rude. But if the developers believe their game is designed from the ground up to be played on a controller, that seems entirely fair to me. Would I prefer there to be investment in superb mouse/keyboard controls too? Yes I would. Do I hate it when writers pose questions to themselves to offer balance? Absolutely. And while I realise that many canít afford to just add a 360 PC controller to their arsenal, Iíd say itís becoming an essential piece of equipment for the modern, well-groomed PC gamer.

If youíd prefer to read an angry version of this news story, check out Dark Side Of Gaming, who call it ďhorse****ď. Naturally thereís a petition to sign. And thanks to neon_25 for alerting us.

Don't know why they put an underscore in my nick, but whatever. :lol:

ProletariatPleb
03-28-2012, 11:56 AM
I contacted guys of RPS and they wrote a nice article about it, and Ubi confirmed that the keyboard and mouse support are IN. Thank God.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/28/assassins-creed-3-dev-says-pc-players-need-controller/
Don't know why they put an underscore in my nick, but whatever. :lol:
Thanks neon, I contacted them too, but didn't get any response, that's a PARTIAL relief to me, the petition is for "Proper" support :D and saying we don't think we will "hugely invest in the keyboard & mouse setup" doesn't inspire much confidence....still, something is better than nothing. Thank you neonidasxxv, I just noticed your name :P

Petition status:
530 signatures.

frigabond
03-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Well then, with the confirmation from Ubi of support, it seems this is a storm in a teacup.
That statement by Alex seems strange though. 'We wont invest. . . you have a controller' one.
Would like that cleared up myself. Wont happen but I would appreciate it.

kelevra.art
03-28-2012, 02:55 PM
I am indignant of such perfidy from Ubisoft, keyboard and mouse cancellation, it I consider treachery and disrespect for PC.With deep respect from the face all users of PC, I ask to revise your decision. With love from Russia

pirate1802
03-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Good going Sidwa xD

Mr_Shade
03-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Ubisoft confirm that it will of course have mouse/keyboard support, as with previous games in the series.

EscoBlades
03-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Ubisoft confirm that it will of course have mouse/keyboard support, as with previous games in the series.

And with that, we can all go back to crafting smokebombs. Thanks Shadey :D

ProletariatPleb
03-28-2012, 04:19 PM
And with that, we can all go back to crafting smokebombs. Thanks Shadey :D
Man I love you Esco & Shade(in a brotherly manner) :P
Still...petition holds :D with ~800 sigs.

TorQue1988
03-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Well that is great news, but i wonder if the initial statement wasn't just a mistake from Hutchinson...

UrDeviant1
03-28-2012, 04:29 PM
I knew this petition was premature. Now you guys can chill!

SixKeys
03-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Glad to hear there will still be some form of keyboard & mouse support. If I play the game and find out it really doesn't work with KB+M like all the previous games have, I will go out and buy a controller, but I think it's important that players should be given the choice.

ProletariatPleb
03-28-2012, 05:17 PM
I knew this petition was premature. Now you guys can chill!
Not really, the Petition isn't only for KB+M. KB+M just...'fueled' it.

GeneralTrumbo
03-28-2012, 05:20 PM
I hope Ubisoft doesn't offer keyboard+mouse support because that would waste resources on my beautiful console game. No one plays PC anymore.

Mr_Shade
03-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Not really, the Petition isn't only for KB+M. KB+M just...'fueled' it.
From my personal point of view - as a pc and console gamer..

Keyboards and mice, while usable, won't ever be as precise as a analogue game pad..

Walking etc using keys is never as good as using a stick.. Press it gently to walk, or pressing harder to run.. (you can not do that on a keyboard, unless you use a "run" key as well as a direction.. Which complicates things and can make diagonal movements very tricky)

You don't have the finesse of control with a digital "switch" - which is what a keyboard uses.

To experience the game as they have designed it, with it's delicate controls and movements, you will need a pad (same as its recommended for the other games in the series)

So while I can understand some people's upset at the lack of any kb&m controls (which was never really going to happen) - I really don't think you will get anything more than the standard level of controls as featured in other AC titles.

pirate1802
03-28-2012, 05:31 PM
I hope Ubisoft doesn't offer keyboard+mouse support because that would waste resources on my beautiful console game. No one plays PC anymore.

Comments like this make me really sad.

Mr_Shade
03-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Well you are in the console forum.. So you should expect some console fans ;)

ProletariatPleb
03-28-2012, 05:37 PM
From my personal point of view - as a pc gamer and console gamer..

Keyboards and mice, while usable, won't ever be as precise as a analogue game pad..

Walking etc using keys is never as good as using a stick.. Press it gently to walk, or pressing harder to run.. (you can not do that on a keyboard, unless you use a "run" key as well as a direction.. Which complicates thins and can make diagonal movements very tricky)

To experience the game as they have designed it, with it's delicate controls and movements, you will need a pad (same as its recommended for the other games in the series)

So while I can understand some people's upset at the lack of any kb&m controls (which was never really going to happen) - I really don't think you will get anything more than the standard level of controls as featured in other AC titles.

While I would like more, and so would the ones who signed the petition, I've played 4 games with the same controls and I had absolutely no difficulty(except mis-jumps once or twice in brotherhood's Aqueduct DLC due to weird camera..which is very much bearable) So Shade, I'm pretty sure ACIII won't be a problem for me :D AC isn't FPS, not that much precision needed.

Mr_Shade
03-28-2012, 05:54 PM
While I would like more, and so would the ones who signed the petition, I've played 4 games with the same controls and I had absolutely no difficulty(except mis-jumps once or twice in brotherhood's Aqueduct DLC due to weird camera..which is very much bearable) So Shade, I'm pretty sure ACIII won't be a problem for me :D AC isn't FPS, not that much precision needed.Tbh a FPS needs less precision in my mind..

While the look is fine on mouse, for movement in ACIII I'm guessing you may need some precision... Hence why they are saying a pad is preferred.

But like you say, you have had no problems in past titles, so you should be fine with ACIII

TorQue1988
03-28-2012, 06:00 PM

Walking etc using keys is never as good as using a stick.. Press it gently to walk, or pressing harder to run.. (you can not do that on a keyboard, unless you use a "run" key as well as a direction.. Which complicates things and can make diagonal movements very tricky)

You don't have the finesse of control with a digital "switch" - which is what a keyboard uses.

Gamepads will never be as precise as a mouse, that's why shooters use auto-aim functions on consoles.
Of course this is not the case with AC, because it's not a shooter, but i always played it on PC without any trouble at all. I don't understand why people think less ****ons=greater quality, because it's the other way around. Now i'm not saying that playing a game with 100 ****on functions is better, because obviously that would be annoying as hell, but mapping all functions on a couple of ****ons isn't good either because the character can end up doing something else entirely. I hope AC3 will have the functions better clarified this time around,
Although i agree that gamepads have more finesse when it comes to speed of movement and stuff like that, these things aren't really useful, unlike the aiming and camera precision which is clearly better with a mouse, Not to mention the possibility of changing ****on mappings at your heart's desire when it comes to KB+M.
I remain firmly in my opinion that shooters(FPS and TPS) and action/adventure games with third-person perspective are best played on a PC, while F.I.F.A. and ****on-mashing arcade games are best played on a console.

D.I.D.
03-28-2012, 06:05 PM

I agree on movement (in third person games). You can't beat the mouse for look/aim though, and that's why virtually all console FPS titles use subtle (or not so subtle) assistance.

I might get controller for ACIII to see how they compare for this series.

D.I.D.
03-28-2012, 06:07 PM

Don't worry about it - it's not actually true. The PC market is worth billions, and it's rising all the time - particularly now that we're at the end of a console cycle and the next gen keeps getting teased without delivery. Steam is a huge business.

pirate1802
03-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Don't worry about it - it's not actually true. The PC market is worth billions, and it's rising all the time - particularly now that we're at the end of a console cycle and the next gen keeps getting teased without delivery. Steam is a huge business.

Comments like this make me happy.

SixKeys
03-28-2012, 06:21 PM

The standard level has always been perfectly playable in all the AC games. I've never found the keyboard controls awkward. A playable standard is all I'm asking for, and I hope that's what Ubisoft will deliver.

Mr_Shade
03-28-2012, 06:28 PM
The standard level has always been perfectly playable in all the AC games. I've never found the keyboard controls awkward. A playable standard is all I'm asking for, and I hope that's what Ubisoft will deliver.
It will have the same level of control as the previous titles - as the statement from Ubisoft states.

Keyboard and mouse are playable - pad is recommended.

for everyone:

I think people are taking my comments about keyboard and mouse not being as good as a pad the wrong way..

I am meaning in the context of THIS game = ACIII - on a FPS it's a complete turnaround - the mouse is better than a pad for aiming..

but we are talking about Assassin's Creed - where movement is more important..

the new free running, may need some precision - hence they suggest a pad.

D.I.D.
03-28-2012, 06:34 PM
Comments like this make me happy.

:D

One of the tricks that gets pulled on figures - and this affects the appearance of the fortunes of consoles too, but in a different way - is that when you hear a headline figure about game sales, it hardly ever includes sales of discs from online stores such as Amazon or sales of digitally distributed games. The PC market is a technological leader. We're the people whose hardware purchases make consoles affordable, drive their GPU development, and market-test new ideas for business models such as that used by Steam, Origin, GMG etc.

To give you an idea of how much money the PC market is holding, Gabe Newell alone is said to be worth over 1.5 bilion!

Last year, the PC games sector hit $18.6b, and is predicted to go up to $25.5b by 2015: http://uk.gamespot.com/news/pc-gaming-surges-in-2011-report-6364926

Pretty healthy, all in all.

ShXIII
03-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Sorry I did not realize there was a post on this already but here are my thoughts of disgust as well: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/664434-Assassin-s-creed-3-PC-Keyboard-and-Mouse-support?p=8206821#post8206821

Mr_Shade
03-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Guess no one looked at my post..

Assassin_M
03-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Guess no one looked at my post..
This can`t happen can it ?

yly3
03-28-2012, 11:13 PM
I logged in just to post in this topic. I simply had to.

I bought a console (360) JUST for Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. I played AC1 and AC2 both on PC and it has been an excellent experience.
Obviously, I was expecting that it would take some time for me to get used to it, but looking quickly around felt like it took ages, I adjusted to sensitivity almost to maximum but it also couldn't cut it.
In AC1 and AC2, I was ALWAYS looking around with the mouse while standing still, it was perfect for being stealthy and actually watching out for enemies.

When I was doing key missions it felt so restrictive that I couldn't watch around, it actually spoiled the experience for me.

Running was also a pain in the a**. There was a mission where you had to chase an assassin chick for the templars somewhere in the Baths.
I kept loosing her because exactly when I almost caught her, she instantly changed direction, and the camera angle couldn't keep up with her movements.
At that point I threw the pad, it was Frustrating.
After 1 month of still trying to play a friggin game which I was an ace on PC, I said to myself consoles are not for me.

Besides, playing on PC felt A LOT more immersive, because I was much closer to a screen and I had headphones and you get lost in that world with amazing soundtracks.
And when I found out that a pair of wireless headphones cost actually more than the console itself I actually screamed WTF !

In my honorous opinion, consoles are for kids who have like a special gaming room in their house, with a big TV, big sound system etc.
I don't know about you, but sometimes my friends or parents like to watch the TV or they want to volume down. That takes a lot of the gaming experience imo.
I am not generalising but I was expecting much more from the so called console pure gaming experience.
For people on the go and casual ones, a PC is much more flexible and especially immersive. I get lost in the game.

I am just expressing my honest opinion and I am open to constructive arguments, no hate towards consoles which I think are best suited for games a la FIFA or arcade.

Jexx21
03-29-2012, 12:03 AM

I was right! you ARE the anti-PC guy!

FatBaron
03-30-2012, 09:12 AM
the new free running, may need some precision - hence they suggest a pad.[/FONT]

Can you clarify that please? I think mouse input is much more precise that a pad.

And just so that I understand you correctly: ACIII will be playable like all the other AC games with mouse and keyboard, right? What then was the original statement made by Creative Director Alex Hutchinson all about?

Given the fact that ACIII seems to sell like no other AC game it seems a bit *****rd NOT to invest in something as fundamental as a proper input method for all the platforms your selling a game for, don't you think?!

Mr_Shade
03-30-2012, 11:00 AM
The game will be playable with keyboard and mouse.

I mean pad is more precise in the movement control, since a keyboard is a digital switch rather than analogue control offered by a pad (you do not control movement with the mouse, only look)

While the game will work with keyboard and mouse, offering the same control as other titles in the series, it's recommended that a pad is used (which is also recommend with the other titles)

TorQue1988
03-30-2012, 11:10 AM
I logged in just to post in this topic. I simply had to.

I bought a console (360) JUST for Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. I played AC1 and AC2 both on PC and it has been an excellent experience.
Obviously, I was expecting that it would take some time for me to get used to it, but looking quickly around felt like it took ages, I adjusted to sensitivity almost to maximum but it also couldn't cut it.
In AC1 and AC2, I was ALWAYS looking around with the mouse while standing still, it was perfect for being stealthy and actually watching out for enemies.

When I was doing key missions it felt so restrictive that I couldn't watch around, it actually spoiled the experience for me.

Running was also a pain in the a**. There was a mission where you had to chase an assassin chick for the templars somewhere in the Baths.
I kept loosing her because exactly when I almost caught her, she instantly changed direction, and the camera angle couldn't keep up with her movements.
At that point I threw the pad, it was Frustrating.
After 1 month of still trying to play a friggin game which I was an ace on PC, I said to myself consoles are not for me.

Besides, playing on PC felt A LOT more immersive, because I was much closer to a screen and I had headphones and you get lost in that world with amazing soundtracks.
And when I found out that a pair of wireless headphones cost actually more than the console itself I actually screamed WTF !

In my honorous opinion, consoles are for kids who have like a special gaming room in their house, with a big TV, big sound system etc.
I don't know about you, but sometimes my friends or parents like to watch the TV or they want to volume down. That takes a lot of the gaming experience imo.
I am not generalising but I was expecting much more from the so called console pure gaming experience.
For people on the go and casual ones, a PC is much more flexible and especially immersive. I get lost in the game.

I am just expressing my honest opinion and I am open to constructive arguments, no hate towards consoles which I think are best suited for games a la FIFA or arcade.
I completely agree with you. The PC also has the best technology and it's more flexible, it has ALT+TAB function, components can be changed with ease and so on.
For example when i play AC, i like to take my time and if find something interesting in the game, i pause the game, ALT+TAB, then i search online to see what is historical accurate, then i resume my gameplay, It's a great experience and i love learning new things because of a video game.
I have nothing against consoles, i love playing F.I.F.A. on PS3 with my friends at their house.
I used to play CoD multiplayer as well, but now i really hate it (besides the awful console controls for a FPS) because that was one of the most annoying and ******ed communities i have ever seen; 90% of these gamers were illiterate spoiled brats that kept insulting each other. F.I.F.A. community is the same, which is why i only play private matches with my friends . They were 100 light-years away from the AC community, which is very decent.
Like i said, i have nothing against consoles, but that's just not for me. And i makes me sad to see that developers don't care about PC gaming anymore, and that alot of great titles are console exclusives.

Jexx21
03-30-2012, 12:04 PM
The game will be playable with keyboard and mouse.

I mean pad is more precise in the movement control, since a keyboard is a digital switch rather than analogue control offered by a pad (you do not control movement with the mouse, only look)

While the game will work with keyboard and mouse, offering the same control as other titles in the series, it's recommended that a pad is used (which is also recommend with the other titles)

I felt like KB/M controls in the past AC games were really good (if not better (for me) than the pad controls). I think perhaps that Alex mischose his words?

dxsxhxcx
03-30-2012, 02:50 PM
The game will be playable with keyboard and mouse. I mean pad is more precise in the movement control, since a keyboard is a digital switch rather than analogue control offered by a pad (you do not control movement with the mouse, only look) While the game will work with keyboard and mouse, offering the same control as other titles in the series, it's recommended that a pad is used (which is also recommend with the other titles) you can use the mouse to control movement, once you press "W" to start walking or "W + right mouse ****on" to run you can go to any direction you want using the mouse, you just need to use the keys A,S,D (the other movement keys on the keyboard, for those who don't know) when you are climbing a building (then you'll use the mouse only for look, but since you only climb in 4 directions this isn't a problem) or during a battle where those keys (at least for me) become better than the mouse for movement...

TB_Jaybird
05-29-2012, 11:31 PM

My problem with this argument is that the controller they are so desperately trying to push has even less input slots than a standard M&K. I believe i can pan around my camera with more control than anybody with a controller on any given day. I run into people in ACB and ACR MP who dont even bother looking behind them so they MUST BE USING a controller and wont bother using it or are lazy.

I have played the AC franchise from DAY ONE with a M&K setup and i WILL NOT get a controller. END of............

I am still pissed off about ACR and all its problems that i am still sure i wont be buying AC whateverthenextreleaseisthatisintendedtopissyouoff aswell 4.0.

This "we dont give a hoot about PC users - who pretty much MADE your franchise" is offensive to the CORE.

EDIT....

Everything about the franchise since day one has been to get the most people playing the game to maximize profit and the way you do that is to lower the age requirement and difficulty of said games. Make it stupidly easy on the back of a PR wave that the game is and you have tons more people that could pay for the games. Whether they work or NOT after release is an entirely different matter that YOU have to take up with UBISOFT.

TB_Jaybird
05-29-2012, 11:40 PM
[QUOTE=Mr_Shade;8209000]The game will be playable with keyboard and mouse.

You mean to say that YOU do not control the movement with mouse and by the sound of it you dont even sound like you have even played any AC game with ANY M&K whatsoever.

I press W ONLY to start the motion forward. Once i am moving i control ANY and ALL movement with the mouse. I turn with the mouse and continue to "move forward" with the W button on the keyboard.

It is your opinion that a controller pad is more precise but i strongly disagree.

ace3001
05-30-2012, 10:04 AM
I have played all the current AC games with Xbox controller, PS3 controller, and Kb/M. And I can easily say that Kb/M feels the best out of the three. It stems from the fact that unlike in games like racing games and fighting games that work best with a controller, in AC, the keyboard is only used for things that don't require the analog feature. Sure, the W key for walk/run is there. But hold W = walk, and hold W in high profile = run. The walk-slower-than-usual effect you get by moving the analog stick halfway is utterly useless. The thing that we need an analog motion is for controlling the camera. And that, a decent gaming mouse handles much better than an analog stick can.
Games like AC and Prince of Persia are rare examples for non-shooter games that work very well on Kb/M, even more so than on controllers. In short, you need to have tried it on Kb/M to judge.
Anyway, I'm not going to be signing this "petition" thing. There's no use of such a thing. I'd love it if Kb/M works just like in the earlier games, but if not, I'll just plug in a controller. No big deal. I don't usually support developers that shun PC as a platform, but Assassin's Creed is an exception. It's a series that I'll probably buy no matter what. I can go back to not getting Ubisoft games once the AC series has run its course.

danielgervide
05-30-2012, 12:44 PM

Not sure if you ever played in PC... Even PES and FIFA are playable with keyboard, yet, i admit i prefer playing them with controller...
Racing games can be played with keyboard, but i prefer controler (never played with wheel).
Shooter can be played with controller but i prefer playing with k+m.

There's no game that can't be played with k+m.. yes, there are many games that are more enjoyable with controllers and others that are more enjoyables for k+m.

I've played all assassin's creed with k+m and then with controller, you would be susprised that now i play with k+m and when i'm at assassin's tombs or at romulus lair's or whatever they are named, i use controller... and all because of the script view.

It's not posible to make a good mapping for assassin's creed, ubisoft doesn't need to keymap it... Ubisoft just need to add support to keyboard+mouse and then each player would go into options and bind the keys they want.... I sure did that in every assassin's creed.. high profile in right mouse key? free hand in shift? Not really ubisoft... And in AcR... i had eagle sense in E as always and bombs at G :D

I remember ubisoft announcing a new game and saying it won't be ported to PC because having 6 guys coding for 2 monthes to port the game to Pc would not be worth the money.... know what? if they don't support k+m then ofc it's not worth -.-'

I did not buy AcR on release because AcB had killed my faith, but i bought it latter on a sale and enjoyed, if ubisoft now treats pc gamers as sh!t, ofc i will repeat that, and many others will...

Grazel69
05-30-2012, 03:42 PM
mouse and keyboard was inferior to a controller anyway for assassins creed so I don't mind this at all, nor do I blame them

danielgervide
05-30-2012, 05:09 PM
mouse and keyboard was inferior to a controller anyway for assassins creed so I don't mind this at all, nor do I blame them

it was either inferior or superior... it was only superior when in scripted cameras inside dungeons and that's why i always hated those cameras...

In city free run k+m was always better for me. But i suspect free run in the trees will be easier for controllers :X

Mr_Shade
05-30-2012, 05:20 PM
[QUOTE=Mr_Shade;8209000]The game will be playable with keyboard and mouse.

You mean to say that YOU do not control the movement with mouse and by the sound of it you dont even sound like you have even played any AC game with ANY M&K whatsoever.

I press W ONLY to start the motion forward. Once i am moving i control ANY and ALL movement with the mouse. I turn with the mouse and continue to "move forward" with the W button on the keyboard.

It is your opinion that a controller pad is more precise but i strongly disagree.
well I'm glad you do.

I have played with KB&M - however since the games are written with Pad in mind, I prefer using the pad..

For first person shooters - mouse will always win, however for AC - I prefer the pad..

Keyboard and mouse will still be supported - so you should be happy since its the same as in ACR etc.

vginside
08-16-2012, 12:14 PM
[QUOTE=TB_Jaybird;8344494]
well I'm glad you do.

I have played with KB&M - however since the games are written with Pad in mind, I prefer using the pad..

For first person shooters - mouse will always win, however for AC - I prefer the pad..

Keyboard and mouse will still be supported - so you should be happy since its the same as in ACR etc.

Just one question Mr.shade... Please teach me to type a message to a friend using on uplay/xfire while gaming on PC with PAD ofcourse... I hope you have the answer...;)

Regards!

NeroInfernoF7
08-16-2012, 12:16 PM
What a bump :D

MT4K
08-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Please don't revive long dead threads :p.

Closed.

Mr_Shade
08-16-2012, 05:38 PM
[QUOTE=Mr_Shade;8346451]

Just one question Mr.shade... Please teach me to type a message to a friend using on uplay/xfire while gaming on PC with PAD ofcourse... I hope you have the answer...;)

Regards!

FYI - since it seems you need an answer.. using a pad to play a game does not mean your keyboard stops working ;) - it's a PC after all - so mouse and keyboard work for external applications.

If your's does stop working, You might like to investigate that ;)