PDA

View Full Version : AC3 Combat

crash3
03-25-2012, 04:42 PM
I know your're all probably sick of seeing combat threads by now, but a quick point I wanted to make was that I read that you could chain combat in AC3. I hope that means chain attacks and NOT chain kills, if killstreaks return then the game will be too easy again. I hope that even basic guards take at least 2 or 3 attempts to defeat, whether its attacking or countering. Combat also needs to be more unpredictable, hopefully there wont be really obvious archetypes or any stupid life bars on top of guards' heads as that enables us to predict what moves to do to defeat them. I dont know how the new combat will work out but I hope its challenging to the extent where the maximum number of guards you can take on any time is about 5, and then once it gets higher than 5, you need to escape or die.

What are your thoughts?

rileypoole1234
03-25-2012, 04:47 PM
I think it'll be like Arkham City. Ubi did say something about having large Scotsmen and Native Americans as enemies as well, so it'll probably be more varied.

De Filosoof
03-25-2012, 04:52 PM
I personally think it would ruin the combat flow if even basic guards would need 3 attempts to defeat. I think it has been confirmed that there won't be any medicine in combat this time around so that should make it a bit harder.
It has also been confirmed that you have an attack/counter b-utton for each hand with 2 different weapons so i guess atleast 2 guys can attack you at the same time now.
It would make it more challenging in a better and more flowing way i think.

crash3
03-25-2012, 04:55 PM
dont know so much about native american or american soldiers but elite british soldiers i would imagine are the Coldstream Guards (modern day buckingham palace guards) or Scots Guards/Grenadiers and then of course the regulars will be red coats. I dont mind having different classes of guards as long as they are physically harder to fight, not just requiring different methods to take them down like in ACR. There better not be a single guard that dies from one counter or one attack like in ACR. I hope the combat takes more of an AC1 approach where to start with the guards have more skills than you but as you progress through the game and learn more new combat moves, you gradually even out the odds between you and the guards

Also I think a big contributor to making combat harder would be to have less HUD features, I know people say that you can remove them but I think the devlopers should remove certain features such as health bars and detection meters all together

LightRey
03-25-2012, 05:13 PM
edit: double post.
You can delete a post from the edit menu.

De Filosoof
03-25-2012, 05:15 PM
You can delete a post from the edit menu.

AdamXEve
03-25-2012, 05:18 PM
I hate Batman Arkham City. I beat it once and traded it in immediately. I really hope this game is nothing like it.

OriginalMiles
03-25-2012, 06:01 PM
I hope the combat is more fluid

rileypoole1234
03-25-2012, 06:02 PM
I hate Batman Arkham City. I beat it once and traded it in immediately. I really hope this game is nothing like it.

Well not saying the game will be the same, just saying that the combat free flowing style may be similar.

Noble6
03-25-2012, 06:17 PM

Well I loved that game and in my opininion Assassins creed should learn from it. It's gameplay was fluid and challenging at the same time.

freddie_1897
03-25-2012, 06:32 PM
With Arkham city I enjoyed the main story but got very bored after, The whole city wasnt very vibrant and I didn't like how it was constantly night

crash3
03-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Ive seen pictures of guards aiming their muskets at Connor while hes in melle combat with other guards I hope this doesnt break up combat like inACR where you get shot and your chain attacks are ruined. Agai though I emphasise my point, I hope its chain ATTACKS and NOT chain KILLS or else we'll end up with 20 bodies lying around us after one fight which is totally unrealistic

I hope the guards can counter and dodge your attacks, fake attacks to catch you off guards and also break your guard

People say two guards can attack you at once so itll be harder but theres also a double counter so it might still feel like one counter for one guard if you get me

I must admit that im concerned that Connors gonna be badass like ezio, massacring everyone in his way which I really dont want, it should be avoiding guards, stealthily killing guards, killing a few in open combat if necessary as a last resort then legging it back into the shadows like a true AC1 style assassin

frigabond
03-25-2012, 06:54 PM
I wouldn't worry too much. Altair was pretty badass too and he was also one sneaky killing machine.

crash3
03-25-2012, 08:53 PM
The problem with ACB/ACR was that even though the combat was based on attacking, if you stopped and fought defensively, then the combat reverted back to waiting around for guards to take turns attacking you. I read that AC3 combat is based on offensive fighting, building up spee and momentum, I hope therefore that a consequence for stopping is that you then get overwhelmed by your opponents if you get me

kriegerdesgottes
03-25-2012, 09:01 PM

You hated Batman Arkham City!? wow. I've literally never heard that before. To each his own I guess. I personally loved it but I think the combat, although awesome and fun, is a bit too unrealistic for AC. If you get hit in the head with a tomahawk it's not going to take two or three hits to kill you. I want this game to be realistic which to me is a lot more fun that way.

crash3
03-25-2012, 09:16 PM
You hated Batman Arkham City!? wow. I've literally never heard that before. To each his own I guess. I personally loved it but I think the combat, although awesome and fun, is a bit too unrealistic for AC. If you get hit in the head with a tomahawk it's not going to take two or three hits to kill you. I want this game to be realistic which to me is a lot more fun that way.

I agree with you, guards should be harder to fight but once they get hit with a tomahawk or sword then they should die. Elite guards should have more skill, not simply a larger health bar so the challenge in combat is not taking off life, but gettin past the opponents' guard to either disarm, injure or kill them.

Id also like to see more chain attacks where you disarm or injure guards and not always kil them, guards arent evil theyre just following orders, only kill them as a last resort. you wont be as notorious for simply knocking a guard's sword out of his hand

Razrback16
03-25-2012, 09:59 PM
I think there should be a variety of missions. I thought Brotherhood was awesome because during certain missions you had to be stealthy and not be detected, and during others, like the Caterina mission when you leave the castle, you have to jump off your horse and basically be the pimp daddy and fight ~30 soldiers by yourself out in the open which I love. I like a variety of missions. Part of being an assassin in these games is being a bada$$, so I like to see variety.

As far as the combat system, I loved the ACB combat system the most. You had to know what you counter what with, and had to dodge, etc. Now, if they could take the ACB system, and make it a little tougher in that you had to have more key combinations like Arkham City in order to fight and not get hit, that would be great -- I also like the idea of things flowing even better, although I thought ACB's system flowed really well anyway. I also like the idea of removing medicine. As a rule I never use medicine when playing any of the games because it's unrealistic. I'm all for realistic. Like some said above, if you get whacked in the throat with an axe, you're probably down for the count, so let's keep it realistic.

notafanboy
03-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Arkham city´s combat is awesomesauce ! how could someone hate that game ?

Animuses
03-26-2012, 12:41 AM
Well I loved that game and in my opininion Assassins creed should learn from it. It's gameplay was fluid and challenging at the same time.I loved Arkham City too, but I don't think it should have any influence on Assassin's Creed. They aren't similar and AC should stay away from execution streaks... forever. It should learn from its previous games.

UrDeviant1
03-26-2012, 12:49 AM
I hope standard guards don't take 2-3 attempts to kill. The Janissaries from ACR were a pain In my arse. I don't need that for EVERY guard. There being no medicine might bump up the difficulty anyways.

crash3
03-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Ok in some of the new articles released, I read that connor is really deadly and takes down his enemies with ease and can chain kills, hmmm.....this makes me fear a little for combat, yes theres no more instant healing medicine and AI is said to be revamped, but how much harder is this really gonna make combat? I hope that to start off with, the soldiers are better trained than you then you learn new skills to match them and overcome them, all the while, new more challenging opponents are introduced that dont get killed by one chain kill move but take at least 2 or 3 attempts, by this I mean more than one attack, more than one counter and I want to see soldiers dodging and lethally countering your attacks. I really hope we arent let lose on an all out rampage like we were with Ezio. We should be able to take on 5 or 6 soldiers tops at any one point then run for it or else we get overwhelmed.

This said, I hope the Desmond gameplay matches everything weve seen and heard about Connor, after all he is suffering from the bleeding effect, also does anyone know anything about Eagle Vision/Sense in AC3? does connor have it despite not being born as an assassin?