PDA

View Full Version : Solar Flares..

Assassin_M
03-25-2012, 12:21 PM
As you all may know there has been a string of solar flares hitting the earth repeatedly, with each being stronger than the one preceding it..
But the latest one, as reported, had electricity that can power every house in NYC for 2 years, approximately 24 billion kilo-watts..

This seems to be going very well into the direction of AC...
Now im not saying "AHHHH WTF WE GON DIE !!!"
No, im just saying that this is interesting..

infamous_ezio
03-25-2012, 12:23 PM
don't worry, i'm an assassin, i'll fix everything

frogger504
03-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Wait, you thought Ubisoft was making it up? No. This has been happening for a while and it's known that at that particular day the Flares will be stronger than ever, Jupiter and Saturn will be lined up and will affect Earth somehow, and Earth will [for the first time in millions of years], be on the south side of the gravitational pull. All on that one day.

As with the past Ubi is taking everything directly from reality.

Epsilonyx
03-25-2012, 12:30 PM
The people at Ubi most likely new about this, and chose to use it as their doomsday scenario since its one of the most plausible

infamous_ezio
03-25-2012, 12:34 PM
This is just a natural thing that happens with the earth.. the poles shift every 25,000 years or so i'm not to sure. But appaerntly where over-due for one.

POP1Fan
03-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Time to relive the memories of my ancestors !
Joking aside, this is really intresting indeed.

Lonesoldier2012
03-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Now, i'm not saying Ubisoft tell's the future but...

frogger504
03-25-2012, 01:14 PM
This is just a natural thing that happens with the earth.. the poles shift every 25,000 years or so i'm not to sure. But appaerntly where over-due for one.

That's due to happen on the 21st too.

not trying to imply anything but many potentially dangerous events are converging at one poiint, one date. Which corresponds to a certain prediction...

Sukramo
03-25-2012, 01:19 PM
The sun will be the final boss of the AC universe. You must assasinate this evil monster for giving people skin cancer.

Lonesoldier2012
03-25-2012, 01:20 PM

not trying to imply anything but many potentially dangerous events are converging at one poiint, one date. Which corresponds to a certain prediction...

This may seem different then anything else and not on topic. but Israel and other countries are supposed to have peace talks in December this year... just sayin something big is gonna happen soon.

frogger504
03-25-2012, 01:23 PM
The sun will be the final boss of the AC universe. You must assasinate this evil monster for giving people skin cancer.

Now it makes sense! Desmond will take all of his counter abilities he has learned from all 3 Master Assassins and Counter the Solar Flare!

Seriously though, I want some type of wacky ending like Portal 2 had with it's alternate ending. Don't make it so serious for his ending. Let him go out with some dignity... Have the Templars snipe him at the last second then it turns out he was actually a double the whole time or when he gets shot suddenly the screen goes red and it says "Synchronization Lost" and then some other person gets out of the Animus 9.98

brick177
03-25-2012, 01:30 PM
he gets shot suddenly the screen goes red and it says "Synchronization Lost" and then some other person gets out of the Animus 9.98

This...would blow my mind.

LightRey
03-25-2012, 01:31 PM
don't worry, i'm an assassin, i'll fix everything
Do worry, I'm the sun. I'll ruin everything.

infamous_ezio
03-25-2012, 01:49 PM

well you got me their. haha :P

GeneralTrumbo
03-25-2012, 02:03 PM
We are all going to burn in endless agony.

telcontar7
03-25-2012, 02:07 PM

Source?

Lonesoldier2012
03-25-2012, 02:08 PM

You bastard!

playassassins1
03-25-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm not afraid of Solar Flares. or any other thing. Just relax because nothing is going to happen the 21st .

If something is going to happen the 21st....... Well then we're screwed.:D

frogger504
03-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Source?

Really? You need a source for that? Just get on Google, I don't feel like spending my time to search for old, known information.

GeneralTrumbo
03-25-2012, 02:17 PM
Source?
Do your research.

pacmanate
03-25-2012, 02:24 PM

This

Dejan507
03-25-2012, 02:26 PM
I would imagine the end of AC3 to be super awesome.
But now I remembered something, I think Subject 16 and Juno said some very similar things, i think it goes like this;
"Everything you hold dear...it's already gone."
And Juno said something about how it is too late to do something, I don't want to quote because im not exactly sure. But does this mean it can't be stopped? Sure would be cool.,
Fighting Vidic and templars when suddenly everything starts falling to pieces and you have to stop it before it totally demolishes earth

GeneralTrumbo
03-25-2012, 02:27 PM
I think it is actually quite possible we will find more significance in the sun in AC3...

GeneralTrumbo
03-25-2012, 02:28 PM
I would imagine the end of AC3 to be super awesome.
But now I remembered something, I think Subject 16 and Juno said some very similar things, i think it goes like this;
"Everything you hold dear...it's already gone."
And Juno said something about how it is too late to do something, I don't want to quote because im not exactly sure. But does this mean it can't be stopped? Sure would be cool.,
Fighting Vidic and templars when suddenly everything starts falling to pieces and you have to stop it before it totally demolishes earth
Well, it has been confirmed by many sources that Desmond will be getting much more than an hour of gameplay, so he has to do something in that time! ^_^

LightRey
03-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Do your research.
ehm, it's not "due to happen on the 21st". We're nowhere near as technologically advanced that we can pinpoint a date for that. It's due to happen sometime within the coming few centuries. That's about as accurate as it gets.

GeneralTrumbo
03-25-2012, 02:36 PM
ehm, it's not "due to happen on the 21st". We're nowhere near as technologically advanced that we can pinpoint a date for that. It's due to happen sometime within the coming few centuries. That's about as accurate as it gets.
It has been said that we will experience high solar activity around that date. And at the very least, that is the date where the planets are actually said to align.

LightRey
03-25-2012, 02:46 PM
It has been said that we will experience high solar activity around that date. And at the very least, that is the date where the planets are actually said to align.
The first part is true, though that has little to nothing to do with the earth's polar shift and the second part is just false.

frogger504
03-25-2012, 02:49 PM

and for the first time since our recorded lives we will have a Polar Shift. Planets will align with Earth, and Solar Activity will be higher than ever.Nobody is saying they are related, just saying they coincide on the same date.

GeneralTrumbo
03-25-2012, 02:51 PM
The first part is true, though that has little to nothing to do with the earth's polar shift and the second part is just false.
There will be a winter solstice on that date, though. Don't you find it awkward it is occuring EXACTLY on that date?

GeneralTrumbo
03-25-2012, 02:52 PM
and for the first time since our recorded lives we will have a Polar Shift. Planets will align with Earth, and Solar Activity will be higher than ever.Nobody is saying they are related, just saying they coincide on the same date.
I know. It is quite awkward all this is happening on that date.

frogger504
03-25-2012, 02:54 PM
I know. It is quite awkward all this is happening on that date.

And possible *cough* WWIII *cough.
Many more things coincide with the date including many things from other religions that seem irrelevant but coincide on the date.

LightRey
03-25-2012, 03:02 PM
There will be a winter solstice on that date, though. Don't you find it awkward it is occuring EXACTLY on that date?
It likely has to do with the Mayan Calendar. It's where it ends after all. The Mayans were very good at astronomy. To this date their calendar is accurate to 15 minutes if I'm not mistaken (could also have been seconds).

GeneralTrumbo
03-25-2012, 03:08 PM
It likely has to do with the Mayan Calendar. It's where it ends after all. The Mayans were very good at astronomy. To this date their calendar is accurate to 15 minutes if I'm not mistaken (could also have been seconds).
The Mayans were astronomical and mathematical geniuses. Their knowledge of the cosmos was far superior to ours. They, after all, based their lives on the study of them. That date is said to simply signify a New Age, whatever that could mean.

LightRey
03-25-2012, 03:14 PM
The Mayans were astronomical and mathematical geniuses. Their knowledge of the cosmos was far superior to ours. They, after all, based their lives on the study of them. That date is said to simply signify a New Age, whatever that could mean.
Well I wouldn't say their knowledge of the cosmos was superior to ours, but they were far ahead of the rest of the world and could in many ways compete with our knowledge of it today, though likely not on actual physical observations like the physics of stars and stuff like relativity.

brick177
03-25-2012, 03:23 PM
I think we can all agree that their knowledge of astrophysics was no where close to modern society's, however, based purely on unaided observation of the stars, they knew everything they could have, including the precession of the Earth.

LightRey
03-25-2012, 03:24 PM
I think we can all agree that their knowledge of astrophysics was no where close to modern society's, however, based purely on unaided observation of the stars, they knew everything they could have, including the precession of the Earth.
To think that they never used that knowledge to cross the oceans still baffles me.

brick177
03-25-2012, 03:29 PM
To think that they never used that knowledge to cross the oceans still baffles me.

Yeah, considering that ancient Maya society flourished from 2nd century BCE to about the 10th century CE, you would think they would have thought at some point, "I wonder if there's anything across the ocean". They would have known the Earth was a sphere and they knew there were two coasts.

ToniTorsi
03-25-2012, 03:38 PM
You guys are over-analyzing things

Whats the point of worrying about stuff we can't change? God gave us an enormously gorgeous planet to have the power of choice and live a life the way we want to.

Death is a natural part of life after all.

What I would regret is not finding out whats beyond the milky way. Billions of billions galaxies out there...unexplored. Ah...I would have loved to see all that.

GeneralTrumbo
03-25-2012, 03:44 PM

Whats the point of worrying about stuff we can't change? God gave us an enormously gorgeous planet to have the power of choice and live a life the way we want to.

What I would regret is not finding out whats beyond the milky way. Billions of billions galaxies out there...unexplored. Ah...I would have loved to see all that.
I am not worried. I know there is nothing to do if something needs to be stopped. Just worry about the life you have now while you have it.

infamous_ezio
03-25-2012, 04:56 PM

god...? god isn't real, watch zeitgeist, and you will understand..

Planetary allignment will not affect us at all. also, the mayan's didn't say the world was going to end, but the world as we know it will end.

GeneralTrumbo
03-25-2012, 04:58 PM

Planetary allignment will not affect us at all. also, the mayan's didn't say the world was going to end, but the world as we know it will end.
It isn't your place to say "god isn't real".

infamous_ezio
03-25-2012, 05:10 PM
open opinions mate... especially when someone states without any evidence that "god made us".

LightRey
03-25-2012, 05:12 PM

If you have to watch something others have made up for you to understand it, you don't actually understand it.

De Filosoof
03-25-2012, 05:13 PM
If you have to watch something others have made up for you to understand it, you don't actually understand it.
Like the bible?

rileypoole1234
03-25-2012, 05:15 PM
I don't understand the danger. It's happened before right? The Earth's what like 4.6 billion years old? Things like this have certainly happened before. I also don't understand the bloody Mayan calendar crap. How can the Mayan calendar predict the end of the world? Nobody can predict that. They also didn't count leap years, so isn't it like 503 days off or something? They had like 21 day weeks or something. How can that correlate with a Gregorian calendar? Most people that try to convince you that the world will end actually end up showing you a picture of an Aztec sun disk rather than the actual Mayan calendar. People need to stop worrying. They didn't even say the world will end, it's the start of another cycle isn't it? That doesn't mean destruction, that means change. Whatever. I don't think the world will end in 2012.

From infamous_ezio

I just made a Twitter post about annoying atheists...

LightRey
03-25-2012, 05:18 PM
Like the bible?
Basically, yes. I'm not saying they can't help though, it just requires independent thinking to truly understand something. Other people's thoughts can only inspire.

infamous_ezio
03-25-2012, 05:19 PM

very contradicting...considering religions are based off a book written by heaps of authors over a long period, and millions of people are sucking it all in today. Not to mention when you look into it, each religion is based on a prophet born to a virgin on the 25th of December.

i think i understand it, i think religous people are the ones who don't understand a thing.

Basically, yes. I'm not saying they can't help though, it just requires independent thinking to truly understand something. Other people's thoughts can only inspire.

I agree, but their isn't really an argument in saying god is real. These people were the ones that believe earth was created like 6,000 years ago..

rileypoole1234
03-25-2012, 05:20 PM

Let's just stop it here so there isn't some religious war...

LightRey
03-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Very hypocritical considering religions are based off a book written by heaps of authors over a long period, and millions of people are sucking it all in today. Not to mention when you look into it, each religion is based on a prophet born to a virgin on the 25th of December.

i think i understand it, i think religous people are the ones who don't understand a thing.
This is untrue. Christianity already existed for several hundred years before any biblical texts were even written down. Religion isn't even (necessarily) about understanding anyways. It's about faith. Now let's stop this discussion as it is against the rules.

De Filosoof
03-25-2012, 05:22 PM
I don't understand the danger. It's happened before right? The Earth's what like 4.6 billion years old? Things like this have certainly happened before. I also don't understand the bloody Mayan calendar crap. How can the Mayan calendar predict the end of the world? Nobody can predict that. They also didn't count leap years, so isn't it like 503 days off or something? They had like 21 day weeks or something. How can that correlate with a Gregorian calendar? Most people that try to convince you that the world will end actually end up showing you a picture of an Aztec sun disk rather than the actual Mayan calendar. People need to stop worrying. They didn't even say the world will end, it's the start of another cycle isn't it? That doesn't mean destruction, that means change. Whatever. I don't think the world will end in 2012.

True, the word won't end in 2012.
The only thing that's happening is that we're going into the age of aquarius.

infamous_ezio
03-25-2012, 05:25 PM
This is untrue. Christianity already existed for several hundred years before any biblical texts were even written down. Religion isn't even (necessarily) about understanding anyways. It's about faith. Now let's stop this discussion as it is against the rules.

The book is about Christianity though. Yeah a faith.. a bad faith, faith doesn't mean you dictate what others should believe. faith is nothing compared to scientific evidence.

but yes i agree, finished discussion!

AdamXEve
03-25-2012, 05:29 PM
It's very possible that if a certain solar flare hits us and is powerful enough that oxygen itself could be set on fire, causing us to breath fire. This would kill every living thing on Earth.

De Filosoof
03-25-2012, 05:30 PM

Let's party.

rileypoole1234
03-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Let's party.

No. This religious talk is against the rules.

brick177
03-25-2012, 05:39 PM

From infamous_ezio

The Mayan Calendar doesn't end, it resets, it's cyclical. The Mayan's did not predict the end of the world, they believed the world goes through ages and the reset of their calendar is supposed to be the beginning of a new world age. Not the end of the world. And it matches up with the Gregorian calendar just fine. We have leap years because our calendar is heliocentric and it takes the Earth 365.25 days to revolve around the sun. The Mayan calendar doesn't need a leap year because they tied their years to the solstices. Every year there is a shortest and longest day with or without leap days, so if your calendar always restarts on the winter solstice for instance, you don't need a leap year. We, however, tie our year to an arbitrary day in the middle of winter that has no astronomical significance, and because of that we have to have a leap day to keep the start of our year in the same spot.

The Mayan calendar is more accurate than ours.

rileypoole1234
03-25-2012, 05:42 PM
The Mayan Calendar doesn't end, it resets, it's cyclical. The Mayan's did not predict the end of the world, they believed the world goes through ages and the reset of their calendar is supposed to be the beginning of a new world age. Not the end of the world. And it matches up with the Gregorian calendar just fine. We have leap years because our calendar is heliocentric and it takes the Earth 365.25 days to revolve around the sun. The Mayan calendar doesn't need a leap year because they tied their years to the solstices. Every year there is a shortest and longest day with or without leap days, so if your calendar always restarts on the winter solstice for instance, you don't need a leap year. We, however, tie our year to an arbitrary day in the middle of winter that has no astronomical significance, and because of that we have to have a leap day to keep the start of our year in the same spot.

Thanks for the clarification. I really didn't get how the calendar was more accurate, but thanks for the explanation.

brick177
03-25-2012, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I really didn't get how the calendar was more accurate, but thanks for the explanation.

You're welcome. There's a lot of bad info out there about the Maya in the media and Holywood. I read a lot about anthropology and try to set the record straight where I can.

GeneralTrumbo
03-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Like the bible?
Christianity existed long before the bible, my friend.

GeneralTrumbo
03-25-2012, 06:20 PM
The book is about Christianity though. Yeah a faith.. a bad faith, faith doesn't mean you dictate what others should believe. faith is nothing compared to scientific evidence.

but yes i agree, finished discussion!
Faith is what you truly believe. It means a bit more than scientific evidence because it doesn't require evidence of any kind. Faith is faith.

De Filosoof
03-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Christianity existed long before the bible, my friend.
Yep, and also many other religions that share the exact same stories. Did you know that too?

brick177
03-25-2012, 06:32 PM
Faith, by definition, is a belief not proven by fact. If evidence existed for the truth of a faith, it would no longer be a faith but would become fact. So, it is not that faith does not require evidence, it is that faith can only exist in the absence of evidence.

GeneralTrumbo
03-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Yep, and also many other religions that share the exact same stories. Did you know that too?
Maybe that is just evidence that there is TRUTH to these stories.

GeneralTrumbo
03-25-2012, 06:36 PM
Faith, by definition, is a belief not proven by fact. If evidence existed for the truth of a faith, it would no longer be a faith but would become fact. So, it is not that faith does not require evidence, it is that faith can only exist in the absence of evidence.
But all faith is still open to become fact.

De Filosoof
03-25-2012, 06:46 PM
Maybe that is just evidence that there is TRUTH to these stories.
Maybe, but i guess it has other reasons and why are there more than 20.000 "sub-religions" in christianity alone when there is only one word of god?
They all think they have the only true belief. Doesn't make sense, does it?

GeneralTrumbo
03-25-2012, 06:53 PM
Maybe, but i guess it has other reasons and why are there more than 20.000 "sub-religions" in christianity alone when there is only one word of god?
They all think they have the only true belief. Doesn't make sense, does it?
Not really, but not everyone in those religions necessarily thinks the same thing and believes the same.

Assassin_M
03-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Alright, enough is enough..
Religious discussions are over. Now please, lets stay on topic and try not to sunken our dignities..

GeneralTrumbo
03-25-2012, 07:49 PM
Religious discussions are over. Now please, lets stay on topic and try not to sunken our dignities..
Agreed.

Lonesoldier2012
03-25-2012, 08:02 PM

:/ Geeze dude you can't just say that as a fact.

Assassin_M
03-25-2012, 08:11 PM
:/ Geeze dude you can't just say that as a fact.
No more religious discussions please..

De Filosoof
03-25-2012, 08:11 PM

True, let's keep the peace.

Captain Tomatoz
03-25-2012, 08:16 PM
The galactic alignment theory is completely wrong as there was one in 1998 and even then it wasn't a true galactic alignment as it was (and will always) be a few degrees above the centre. Also to have any effect on earth the centre of the galaxy will have to be about 6 million times closer to our solar system.

As with the planets aligning, I don't know where people get this from because there isn't any on that date or near it. In 2000 and again in 2010 there was but there was no effect on earth. Also by the laws of gravity Jupiter only exerts 1% of the force on earth then the moon does every day so the planets aligning will have little (if any) effect.

Also the next solar maximum isn't till 2013 and it won't be a very strong one anyway so that rules out the solar flare theory.

LightRey
03-25-2012, 09:24 PM
The galactic alignment theory is completely wrong as there was one in 1998 and even then it wasn't a true galactic alignment as it was (and will always) be a few degrees above the centre. Also to have any effect on earth the centre of the galaxy will have to be about 6 million times closer to our solar system.

As with the planets aligning, I don't know where people get this from because there isn't any on that date or near it. In 2000 and again in 2010 there was but there was no effect on earth. Also by the laws of gravity Jupiter only exerts 1% of the force on earth then the moon does every day so the planets aligning will have little (if any) effect.

Also the next solar maximum isn't till 2013 and it won't be a very strong one anyway so that rules out the solar flare theory.
Pretty much sums it up except that last point. The sun isn't nearly that predictable that we could predict there won't be an exceptionally strong solar flare flung our way. It's just not something we're really expecting.

Captain Tomatoz
03-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Pretty much sums it up except that last point. The sun isn't nearly that predictable that we could predict there won't be an exceptionally strong solar flare flung our way. It's just not something we're really expecting.

Solar maximums occur every 11 years with an error of about 3 years each way so I suppose it could be this year :)

frogger504
03-25-2012, 09:30 PM

Point is, it's all coincidentally on that day.

frogger504
03-25-2012, 09:31 PM

We've been expecting it for a while dude..

LightRey
03-25-2012, 09:31 PM
Point is, it's all coincidentally on that day.
You mean in the game I presume.

frogger504
03-25-2012, 09:37 PM
You mean in the game I presume.

No, in reality. I know what you are going to say; it's scientifically unlikely. Well, this event (day), goes against science where coincidentally many potentially dangerous things are occurring and a certain world calender ended.

i'm not saying anything of it, just saying.

LightRey
03-25-2012, 09:38 PM
No, in reality. I know what you are going to say, it's scientifically unlikely, well this event (day), goes against science where coincidentally many potentially dangerous are occurring and a certain world calender ended.

No, I just have no idea what event other than the solstice you think is on that day in reality.

playassassins1
03-25-2012, 09:45 PM
No, in reality. I know what you are going to say; it's scientifically unlikely. Well, this event (day), goes against science where coincidentally many potentially dangerous things are occurring and a certain world calender ended.

So are you saying that you really think the world is going to end?

brick177
03-25-2012, 09:45 PM
If there were to be a solar flare flung in our direction on Dec 21, 2012, it would be a coincidence, yes. The Maya didn't know about solar flares and therefore had no predictions as far as that goes. They didn't predict a galactic alignment either, their observation is that from the point of view of someone standing along a near equatorial latitude, the Sun would appear to rise in the center of the dark rift of the milkyway on the morning of Dec 21, 2012. It isn't a physical alignment, just an observational alignment, ie. two distant objects aligning with our own viewpoint. The solar system is actually off center from the galactic plane but does pass through the plane every 65 million years or so. We last passed through it many millenia ago and continue to drift away from the plane and will eventually drift back towards it and cross it again many millions of years in the future.

LightRey
03-25-2012, 09:52 PM
If there were to be a solar flare flung in our direction on Dec 21, 2012, it would be a coincidence, yes. The Maya didn't know about solar flares and therefore had no predictions as far as that goes. They didn't predict a galactic alignment either, their observation is that from the point of view of someone standing along a near equatorial latitude, the Sun would appear to rise in the center of the dark rift of the milkyway on the morning of Dec 21, 2012. It isn't a physical alignment, just an observational alignment, ie. two distant objects aligning with our own viewpoint. The solar system is actually off center from the galactic plane but does pass through the plane every 65 million years or so. We last passed through it many millenia ago and continue to drift away from the plane and will eventually drift back towards it and cross it again many millions of years in the future.
Correct. With the amount of solar flares flung at the earth it's not even unlikely that we'll be hit by one on that day. It's what causes the Aurora Borealis and I think most of us know how common it is to see those (in the northern regions).

As for the amount of the possible disasters on that day, it's not more than on any other, trust me.

Captain Tomatoz
03-25-2012, 10:00 PM

So you think the planets, the solar system, and the galaxy are all going to suddenly start moving really fast so they can line up together, which isn't physically possible as they would require something to 'push' them.

And as someone else said, the mayan calendar doesn't end, it just restarts.

playassassins1
03-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Correct. With the amount of solar flares flung at the earth it's not even unlikely that we'll be hit by one on that day. It's what causes the Aurora Borealis and I think most of us know how common it is to see those (in the northern regions).

As for the amount of the possible disasters on that day, it's not more than on any other, trust me.

Finally someone who makes sense! nothing is going to happen this year. Some *******, took the story of mayan calendar and turned the whole story around, added a few things. And then they made a movie about 2012 in 2009. And from then there have been allot of predictions of the world ending before 2012. And guess what? the world didn't end.If the world doesn't end in 2012, i wouldn't be surprised.

Assassin_M
03-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Finally someone who makes sense! nothing is going to happen this year. Some *******, took the story of mayan calendar and turned the whole story around, added a few things. And then they made a movie about 2012 in 2009. And from then there have been allot of predictions of the world ending before 2012. And guess what? the world didn't end.If the world doesn't end in 2012, i wouldn't be surprised.
People who believe that the world will end during 2012 are either religious paranoids or plain idiots..
The Mayan calendar`s "End" is a restart to a new Cycle, its popularly believed to be an end but its not..

frogger504
03-25-2012, 10:05 PM
So are you saying that you really think the world is going to end?

Whether I do or do not is irrelevant to the discussion. I am simply sharing info, I'll let you form your own opinion around them.

Also, alignment of 3+ planets will do something to the gravity on Earth and the rise of the tide (it's been a while since I read up on this, the exact results I don't know)
Polar Shift for first time since our existence.
Solstice
Solar Flare will reach capacity in terms of power

Not saying anything about it, just saying it's there.

On a completely unrelated side note, the end of humanity isn't the end of the world.

Moultonborough
03-25-2012, 10:08 PM
There was a solar flare a few weeks ago. It is very real. Is it pathetic the first thing I thought of was Assassins Creed?

LightRey
03-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Whether I do or do not is irrelevant to the discussion. I am simply sharing info, I'll let you form your own opinion around them.

Also, alignment of 3+ planets will do something to the gravity on Earth and the rise of the tide (it's been a while since I read up on this, the exact results I don't know)
Solstice

On a completely unrelated side note, the end of humanity isn't the end of the world.

The tides are only minimally affected by the other planets, even if they're in alignment and not at all as much as the Moon and the Sun do. Any effect in alignment they do have has been greater on other dates.
Polar shift could just as easily happen today or in 400 years, so that is irrelevant to the date. Not to mention that under normal circvmtances polar reversal takes centuries or even millenia, not one day.
The solstice is part of how the calendar was designed and it happens every year, there's also one in the summer.
Completely false. Solar flares are not predicted to be any more significant than usual.

Captain Tomatoz
03-25-2012, 10:30 PM

Solstice

The alignment of all 8 planets wouldn't cause anything on earth because they are so far away. The force of gravity decreases but 1 over the distance squared (1/r^2) so the further way the planet is, the much less of an effect it has. The alignment will not focus this or make it stronger. (also no planets are aligning this year at all)

Polar shift is just a hypothesis, there is little to no evidence saying it will happen let alone on the 21st of december

Solstice happens every year

Solar flare will not reach capacity because the solar maximum this year/ next year is a very weak, as shown by the decreased amount of sunspots

frogger504
03-25-2012, 10:43 PM
What are you trying to prove? I am simply stating what is, as I said. I'm not saying anything of it so I don't need any explanation.

I knowi t happens over miillenia but for the first time in our existence we will be on the South starting on that day for another 25 thouusand years or however much it is.

How about you take a quick trip to Google? Here's a shrotcut: http://www,google.com

Captain Tomatoz
03-25-2012, 10:49 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/131/351/eb6.jpg?1307463786

rileypoole1234
03-25-2012, 10:49 PM
So basically we can say that there is absolutely no more danger in 2012 than any other year, so everybody who's worried about something happening should stop worrying.

LightRey
03-25-2012, 10:54 PM
What are you trying to prove? I am simply stating what is, as I said. I'm not saying anything of it so I don't need any explanation.

I knowi t happens over miillenia but for the first time in our existence we will be on the South starting on that day for another 25 thouusand years or however much it is.

How about you take a quick trip to Google? Here's a shrotcut: http://www,google.com
The magnetic north pole will still be at (around) geometric north on December 21 and it will be for quite a few more centuries.

Captain Tomatoz
03-25-2012, 10:55 PM
So basically we can say that there is absolutely no more danger in 2012 than any other year, so everybody who's worried about something happening should stop worrying.

You hit the nail on the head there :D No worrying required

rileypoole1234
03-25-2012, 10:56 PM
The magnetic north pole will still be at (around) geometric north on December 21 and it will be for quite a few more centuries.

This is true. Basically every theory for the world ending can be proven wrong. There's nothing to worry about.

frogger504
03-25-2012, 10:56 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/131/351/eb6.jpg?1307463786

Or reasonable..

Captain Tomatoz
03-25-2012, 11:01 PM
Or reasonable..

How can you be being reasonable, we have shown you that the ideas that you stated (I'm not saying they are yours) can be proven to be false. (especially the planetary alignment one) But then you still act like we don't know what we are talking about by directing us to google. I'm doing a degree in astrophysics. It's not like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Also I'd like to see your scientific evidence to back up the theories.

rileypoole1234
03-25-2012, 11:03 PM
How can you be being reasonable, we have shown you that the ideas that you stated (I'm not saying they are yours) can be proven to be false. (especially the planetary alignment one) But then you still act like we don't know what we are talking about by directing us to google. I'm doing a degree in astrophysics. It's not like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Also I'd like to see your scientific evidence to back up the theories.

Exactly. Every single theory can be proven wrong. Why he chooses not to see that... I don't know.

Assassin_M
03-25-2012, 11:05 PM
I think we`re moving a little Off-topic here..
This is about Solar flares not planetary alignments..
As the unlike-ability of that happening is extremely high as mentioned by Rey and Tony..

LightRey
03-25-2012, 11:06 PM
You hit the nail on the head there :D No worrying required
Hell, there's more reason to worry about the asteroid that is (relatively) nearly going to miss the earth in February (don't worry, its trajectory was calculated very precisely, it'll miss).

frogger504
03-25-2012, 11:23 PM
Unlikely, not impossible.

LightRey
03-25-2012, 11:27 PM
Anything is possible, that doesn't mean everything will happen.

Captain Tomatoz
03-25-2012, 11:40 PM

The laws of physics disagree ;)

LightRey
03-25-2012, 11:46 PM
The laws of physics disagree ;)
Actually, they don't. Quantum Mechanics pretty much allows for anything to happen. It's just incredibly unlikely.

Captain Tomatoz
03-25-2012, 11:51 PM
Actually, they don't. Quantum Mechanics pretty much allows for anything to happen. It's just incredibly unlikely.

That is at quantum level though. When things like planets and the sun are concerned you can use the classical laws of physics.

LightRey
03-26-2012, 12:02 AM
That is at quantum level though. When things like planets and the sun are concerned you can use the classical laws of physics.
Of course, but technically anything really is possible. In fact, given enough time even black holes should "evaporate" because of Hawking radiation.

tH3PatRi0Tx1776
03-26-2012, 12:06 AM

You are incorrect about it ending on that date. The Mayan Calendar does not have an end date, it's circular. It's a 3 part calendar (360 days, 265 days, and 72 years), all round, so it never ends, it just keeps on turning. And yeah, it's seconds.

Tetsou88
03-26-2012, 12:10 AM
The alignment of all 8 planets wouldn't cause anything on earth because they are so far away.

Back in my day, we had 9 planets. 9! Imagine that. :D

Technically, we have 13 planets, it's just that 5 of those are dwarves.

UrDeviant1
03-26-2012, 12:14 AM
Wait, so If the Sun Is having an off day and decides It wants to chuck a load of super heated, electrically-charged particles our way on a monumental scale not like any witnessed before, there's nothing we can do to stop them? WE ARE DOOMED I TELL THEE!

LightRey
03-26-2012, 12:17 AM
You are incorrect about it ending on that date. The Mayan Calendar does not have an end date, it's circular. It's a 3 part calendar (360 days, 265 days, and 72 years), all round, so it never ends, it just keeps on turning. And yeah, it's seconds.
I meant it "ends" in the same way our calendar "ends" on December 31st.

Captain Tomatoz
03-26-2012, 12:17 AM
Back in my day, we had 9 planets. 9! Imagine that. :D

Technically, we have 13 planets, it's just that 5 of those are dwarves.

I did right 9 at first then changed it to 8 when I remembered that Pluto was demoted. Poor Pluto.

http://i.imgur.com/LDEtU.jpg

LightRey
03-26-2012, 12:21 AM
I did right 9 at first then changed it to 8 when I remembered that Pluto was demoted. Poor Pluto.

http://i.imgur.com/LDEtU.jpg

I still don't get why people care about that.

tH3PatRi0Tx1776
03-26-2012, 12:25 AM
I meant it "ends" in the same way our calendar "ends" on December 31st.

Incorrect again. (oh and I messed up, the last one is 52 years). December 21st is just the end of the Long Count, which will complete another bak'tun and go on to the next bak'tun. A bak'tun is 394 years.

LightRey
03-26-2012, 12:37 AM
Incorrect again. (oh and I messed up, the last one is 52 years). December 21st is just the end of the Long Count, which will complete another bak'tun and go on to the next bak'tun. A bak'tun is 394 years.
I wasn't referring to it being a yearly cycle. Stop jumping to conclusions of what I say. -__-
I was just saying it's the end of the current cycle. Just like December 31st is the end of our main cycle (the year).
Had you been paying closer attention to the previous posts in this thread, you'd have already known I knew that.

Tetsou88
03-26-2012, 12:39 AM
I still don't get why people care about that.

Nostalgia and fear of change? It's like when people found out the world was round, or not the center of the universe. You've been told one thing for years, it kind of sticks.

No, he is saying "our" (the Gregorian calendar) ends on the 31st, and restarts on January 1st. He's not saying the Mayan Calendar ends on the 31st.

LightRey
03-26-2012, 12:43 AM
Nostalgia and fear of change? It's like when people found out the world was round, or not the center of the universe. You've been told one thing for years, it kind of sticks.
Yeah, but this wasn't something like a discovery that disproved previous theories. It was just a change, or rather refining of a definition.

Tetsou88
03-26-2012, 12:56 AM
Yeah, but this wasn't something like a discovery that disproved previous theories. It was just a change, or rather refining of a definition.

While it's not a huge change, it's still one of those things you have to remember is different. While it may not come up that often, you don't want to look like an idiot if you say there are 9 planets, and someone corrects you. Also, the only reason they changed the definition was so that they wouldn't have to name the new "planets" as planets.
I personally say it jokingly. Kind of like how my parents, and grand parents use to say "In my day I worked 5 jobs, and went to college" or the like.

LightRey
03-26-2012, 01:37 AM
While it's not a huge change, it's still one of those things you have to remember is different. While it may not come up that often, you don't want to look like an idiot if you say there are 9 planets, and someone corrects you. Also, the only reason they changed the definition was so that they wouldn't have to name the new "planets" as planets.
I personally say it jokingly. Kind of like how my parents, and grand parents use to say "In my day I worked 5 jobs, and went to college" or the like.
Not entirely. They changed the definition because it was vague and calling Pluto a planet would basically mean calling all large objects in the Kuyper Belt planets as well. It really came down to the part where a planet needs to be of such a size that it was able to clear its orbit of debris, which did not apply to Pluto.

brick177
03-26-2012, 01:48 AM
The Earth was proven to be a sphere by the Greeks in the 3rd century BCE. All educated Europeans knew the Earth was spherical prior to the explorations of the 15th century CE. The explorations were to find out if sailing around the world was a quicker way to Asia than sailing around south Africa. They weren't trying to settle some argument about a flat Earth vs. a spherical Earth.

LightRey
03-26-2012, 01:49 AM
The Earth was proven to be a sphere by the Greeks in the 3rd century BCE. All educated Europeans knew the Earth was spherical prior to the explorations of the 15th century CE.
True. There weren't that many educated Europeans around though.

brick177
03-26-2012, 01:52 AM
True. There weren't that many educated Europeans around though.

True.