PDA

View Full Version : AC Revelations versus other AC games

Groofert
03-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Am I the only one that thinks AC Revelations is the best AC game after AC II?

I think we can all agree on the fact that AC II was the best. Not only did it have the most changes, it was also the most polished game in my opinion. The first AC game was great, but did not really feel complete. I loved Altair way more than Ezio though. I know the story about Ezio is much, much better, and that you get to know a lot more about Ezio than you get to know about Altair, but I liked the mystery around Altair. You are an assassin. You are supposed to be mysterious.

After the first AC, I feel like the series went more and more away from the stealth-based gameplay. It also got easier and easier. I don't want to know exactly where my target is. I just want a green square/circle on the map, an indication of where he's walking around. AC Revelations brought this back a little with the new Eagle Sense (identifying targets), but still, with the SSI system there's not point to even follow him. You can just stand on the roof and follow the icon with your eyes.

In my opinion, AC Brotherhood was the worst. Okay, maybe the first AC game was the worst. But I see it more as an experiment. AC Brotherhood was very glitchy, and least on the Xbox 360. It felt like a step back from AC II. Also, Rome sucked... The countryside was way too big. And what the hell am I going to do with a horse? AC Brotherhood didn't feel like a stealth-based game at all.

And I didn't even mind the recruiting system. I would rather take orders than give them (in games at least), but that's just me. The idea was good. It was something new. And I didn't feel forced to manage my assassins. The game got much easier with the recruits, to the point where you didn't have to do anything yourself, but like I said: you didn't have to manage assassins.

Constantinople was a BIG improvement over Rome in my opinion. The city felt much more alive, and it also made the game feel more fresh. You were still Ezio, an italian, but with the colors and the clothes and everything, it felt like it was a new setting, kind of Arabian. And I like the idea of an Arabian setting. Constantinople wasn't as good as Venice though, but in my opinion it is the best city after Venice.

The hookblade was also a nice addition. Combat with the hookblade felt kind of glitchy, but I liked the new ziplines spread throughout the city. I felt like there were a little too many ziplines though. I would rather have less ziplines and more lifts (you know, the Brotherhood lifts), or at least more lifts. I didn't like how easy it is to climb building with the hookblade. Like I said, AC seems to get easier and easier.

The bomb-crafting system was fun. At first it didn't really feel "assassin-like" for me. But it got better when I stopped using lethal bombs. The other bombs are great.

The tower defence system is AMAZING!!!11!! Lol, no... it was the worst addition to an AC game EVER. Please, remove it in the next AC game.

But overall, AC Revelations was a lot of fun. More fun than Brotherhood. Maybe the story wasn't as good, but overall the game was better in my opinion.

AntiChrist7
03-23-2012, 12:41 PM
In gameplay terms it was indeed pretty good: the hookblade and bombs were a nice addition, while keeping all the other stuff (den defense was bad however)

the biggest point of criticism is however the lengt of the game, which i agree on: there had to be more side-missions, just like brotherhood had

kosmoscreed
03-23-2012, 02:32 PM
No, it's worst than ACII and ACB, most of the new gameplay adittions are usless, they promised revelations and the failed at that, and the game is short among other things. The only thing that live to the hype in my opinion was the environments.

misterB2001
03-23-2012, 02:35 PM
I preffered it to brotherhood, I just feel the pacing is way too slow in the first half of the game.

LightRey
03-23-2012, 02:47 PM
It was a great game. I've replayed it 3 times already and I will do so at least once more before ACIII is released.

Assassin_M
03-23-2012, 02:57 PM
In my opinion ACR is the best game in the series if the length is overlooked..
ACR improved on a lot from ACB.. The writing, The story, The dialogue, The scenery, The graphics and The Game play..

SixKeys
03-23-2012, 04:24 PM
In preparing for AC3, I'm planning on replaying all the previous games. Looking forward to visiting all of them again, except ACR. I'm trying to think of one memorable sequence from that game that I really want to replay and can't really come up with one. Individual missions, sure, but no story moments that really stick out. I'm usually a completionist, even on replays, but I think with ACR I'll probably just play through the main campaign and not bother too much with 100% sync.

SleezeRocker
03-23-2012, 04:31 PM
Well I like all my AC games (of course my personal fav is still AC2 and when AC3 comes it,I just may like like AC2 possibly .1% more than AC3 just because AC2 is in RenaissancE Italy, my fav time period from back in mid/high school days lol) just fine ;)

But let's see:
ACB: I thought the story was pretty cool, more interpersonal communication with Bartolomeo, Volpe and Claudia. Cesare I do agree, he wasn't really so much as a 'Templar' just a bully in my view, you know the typical ,"Hahaha The World is mine freakers lolZ!!"
-Great side missions! I liked the side mission alot more in ACB than in AC2 I'll say, like the Templar Agents, Leo's Machines (dam the Tank full sync requirment to heck! lol), Christina memories
-Training ground room was pretty fun, I was honestly hoping to see it again in ACR :(
-Graphic-wise was greatly improved from AC2. I love AC2, but the cutscenes looked like shined PS2/xbox graphics. slight off topic: I remember for the near-release trailer of AC2 where you see Ezio on the Palazzo Signoria talking to Giovanni and I saw the cutscene and Isaid "Please..tell me that cutscnes won't look like that?" but eh no matter, graphics don't make the game ;)

ACR:
-I thought the story was pretty neat, talking with Yusuf, Suleiman and Sofia. Finding the Altair (memory) keys..even though I was dissapointed in length when we were pormised at least 1/2 hr mission for each altair memory and I finished them in max 10 minutes. (though my gripe is that the intro was kind of..'off' to me if you understand what i mean? I kinda like what happened in the ACR novel before the intro of ACR game (won't say sinceI doubt not many people have read ACR novel)
-Graphic it was a big leap! You can see the shine in characters eyes, (for me) the game ran very smooth, and definatley surpassed ACB. I just didn't reallly like that most of the male NPC's faces looked like Desmond (to me that's what it looks, some may say different). Idk if it's just me but, does loading seem faster in ACR than past games?
-Brotherhood Interaction: I like how you can do side-missions with your top 10 Assassin to make them Masters and select recruitment missions for some charcaters (would-be Assassins). Bad part, these were the only side missions I enjoyed...(I was not a big fan of den defense)
-Hookblade was fun! I like going on the ziplines, tossing guards from roofs and on to the floor below
-Bombs were fairly fun, they were cool but I hardly ever use every combination like pyrite bomb or blood bomb. I mostly stuck to basic smoke bomb and inlcude the Thunder bomb and Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry bomb! (< who knows that song? lol)

Multiplayer I doubt i'll explain since I don't think it's what 'makes' the game good ;)

All in all, for me, I like them equally since I just really love em :)
But if I HAD to choose which AC2 expansions I liked, my edge would be Brotherhood just because of the side missions since I sure I put in more time to ACB than ACR ;)
ps- My Assassin recruit cousin (the one I gave my Ac1 copy to him for christmas) just got Brotherood and he's digging alot! Hahaha!

oliacr
03-23-2012, 04:36 PM
AC Revelations was good but the city was hm... , Rome ,and the other cities are better than Constantinople in my opinion!

rain89c
03-23-2012, 07:52 PM
AC1 was the best, then AC2, and from ACB onwards, the series just kept going down hill in terms of atmospheric realism, and visuals.
I played AC1 over 5 times, AC2 1.5 times, ACB once and ACR once (rushed).
Hopefully, AC3 revitalizes the AC series...

POP1Fan
03-23-2012, 08:05 PM
For me AC2 is still the best, but Revelations is a close second ;) It was kinda short and didin't had to many side missions like Brotherhood. I would have liked some repressed memories (of Altair optionaly) but at least it focused on answering questions while telling a very good story.The Master Assassin missions where great because they where kinda like AC1 because of the investigations.Constantinople was great but it felt samll.The hookblade was great for speeding up the climbing and the bombs gave more ways of distracting/killing guards.
Unlike others I liked Den Defence, the different weapons didin't let it get repetitive and trying to get higher scores was good.
Desmond's segements where a nice change of pace after two games where the side story was told through the Glyph Puzzles..maybe they where a little to easy but that's how they should be, if not a little bland also (something that got "fixed" in the DLC). All in all it had it's cons, because it can't be a perfect game but definitley a better game in the series.

rileypoole1234
03-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Revelations was the best after AC2 for me. I've replayed it a couple times already. I'm hoping to do a full playthrough of everything before AC3.

JumpInTheFire13
03-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Revelations was the worst one for me so far. It just didn't grab me and say "I AM AN AWESOME GAME" like the other ones did.

pacmanate
03-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Yeha i love revelations! However I replayed all my AC games and am now on Revelations and its still only march....................

Sukramo
03-23-2012, 08:33 PM
I have replayed ACB 4 times and collected/rebuild Rome fully twice. I love that game.

I have tried to replay ACR 3 times. Every time I get to "On the attack" my intrest in the game completly dies.

I think it has to do with that ACR has no real big bad guy like Rodrigo, Cesare and De Sable, without good enemies my immersion just dies. The Byzantines makes no sence, how can they get MASSIVE armies into Constantinopel and no one cares?

playassassins1
03-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Revelations was the best after AC2 for me. I've replayed it a couple times already. I'm hoping to do a full playthrough of everything before AC3.

I'm doing it right now, i just finished AC II and when i finish all games, i'm gonna start all over again until AC III.........( with Mass Effect 3 ofcourse)

YuurHeen
03-23-2012, 08:39 PM
my humble opinion:

ac1>acr>acb>ac2

Sukramo
03-23-2012, 08:42 PM
my humble opinion:

ac1>acr>acb>ac2

Explain.

AC1 is extremly repetetive, has no subtitles, you have to sit through very long unskippable dialoges when replaying a mission and the combat system is broken.

If it was challenge you wanted, than AC2 should be higher up your list.

pacmanate
03-23-2012, 09:05 PM
AC was never about the challenge, which is why I loved brotherhood combat. Just looked awesome chain killing people, this was broken in revelations because of the jannesiraries and no i cba to spell that right

Animuses
03-23-2012, 09:32 PM
Revelations was BY FAR the worst game in the Assassin's Creed series. It was a bad game. At least I can say Brotherhood was a bad AC game, but a good game overall. The story doesn't flow well from sequence to sequence. Some sequences are totally useless and it's uninteresting. Yeah, Ezio and Sofia have chemistry, but they aren't making me give a ****. The other games didn't tie in serious relationships throughout the main story, which was a good idea because it didn't derail you from the story (Does Revelations actually have one?). Also, it seems like you're doing absolutely nothing the entire game and you're not even given some incite on the Templars. It wasn't until the 7th sequence of things to FINALLY start. The anti-climatic ending (Altair's library) was also a major let down.

The gameplay wasn't all that great either. The combat wasn't fluid due to the unnecessarily long animations, the slow-mo, and the lack of complex archetypes.The climbing was clunky(hook blade) and totally threw away the great feel of the parkour from the previous games. A bunch of bs was thrown at us like the parachuting missions, the horse carriages, sliding downs slopes... duh ****?!
Who could possibly find that to be in any way good? We have other FANTASTIC features like the very fitting Den Defense and the oh so creative Desmond missions in which you spam blocks. Renovating the city was even more ridiculous than it was in Brotherhood. First off, there wasn't any reason to renovate it. Secondly, there weren't any changes once I renovated. Lastly, you get notoriety for it... If I already took over the district, then how would I get notoriety? MAKES SENSE!

The Altair missions were almost as awesome as the Desmond missions. You get really short missions that you get to do nothing in and has absolutely no relevance to Ezio. The only decent mission was the first because you actually did something and Abbas wasn't in it... hardly in it. The best thing about the Altair missions was the inclusion of Malik. It's great that a character most AC fans liked actually got to make an appearance.

I rate this game a SOLID 6/10; on a bad day I'd give it a 5.5 or even a 5. As much as Brotherhood annoys me, Revelations makes me like it a lot more and I can actually understand why people like it.

AC2>>AC1>>>>>>>>ACB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ACR

Ansatsushas
03-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Personally in rating ACR, my judgement was also affected by other releases that came out during the year (even though they are not of the same genre).

Skyrim, Batman: AC all felt new and refreshing - the same feeling I got when i first played AC2.
ACR just felt like it was a good game, but nothing spectacular to note. Unlike AC2 and ACB, I felt it had too many flaws (forum has been through this too many times to list), though I really liked the addition of the hook blade, which doesn't look like making a re-appearance in AC3.

So the rating for me would be AC2 >> ACB >> ACR.

SixKeys
03-24-2012, 01:44 AM
My personal rating of the games:

AC1 > AC2 > ACB >>>>>> ACR

AC1 may be repetitive but in terms of atmosphere, it's still unbeatable. It's the game I pop in when I feel like acting like a true assassin, planning my attacks beforehand, trying different approaches and just strolling through the streets listening to the city's sounds. The soundscape in this game is so fantastic, it's surprising how much they ignored it in the sequels. Just by listening to your surroundings, you can get an estimate of where you are even without the mini-map. You can find missions (by listening to the cries of citizens in distress or heralds whose scripts deviate from the standard) and avoid danger (duck behind a corner when you hear a nearby German/French/Turkish patrol approaching, or one of the crazy people rambling). If your AC experience is more about badass kill moves and lots of distracting side missions, then sure, any of the sequels have more to offer than the first game. But none of them come close to the sense of realism and grittiness of AC1. AC1 is more about immersion than collecting every flag or flashy cinematics.

AC2 and ACB are actually pretty close to each other. I picked AC2 over ACB by a margin because the story of AC2 flows better, the tutorial systems are better integrated into the overall experience and there's more variety in the locations. However, from a gameplay and graphics point of view, I enjoy ACB more. There are more things to do, the graphics are much improved and while combat isn't quite as challenging because of the chain kill system, it's more fast-paced and fun. I also enjoyed delving deeper into some of the characters we met in AC2, like Claudia and Machiavelli.

ACR... While I wouldn't call it a bad game, it was definitely a bad AC game. It could have been a great Nintendo DS title as it was originally planned to be. But for a full-blown console game the story was too thin and there wasn't nearly enough to do. ACB took me longest out of all the games to finish because of all the side missions and collectables. With ACR, I tried to stretch the playtime as much as possible and it still took me less than a week to complete. The cities and tombs were beautiful and had probably the best atmosphere since AC1. I even enjoyed the Desmond missions because of the art style, although they did feel out of place in an AC game. The story was absolutely the worst in all the games so far. Badly written characters, bad dialogue, some missions that felt silly even by AC standards (the parachute ride). There were poor design choices like the blink-and-you'll-miss-it tutorials and fast travel stations being scattered too far apart. There were some good ideas that were poorly executed (good: making Notoriety matter, bad: having to do Den Defense once it's full). The hookblade didn't make freerunning better, it actually made it worse with the clunky animations and the controls sometimes being unresponsive. Combat was slowed down to a crawl with the annoyingly long kill animations. The "random events" were a joke. The worst aspects to me were the characters and lack of replay value, things I find absolutely essential to the franchise. ACR single-handedly nearly killed my enthusiasm for the franchise, I just hope AC3 will restore my faith again.

YuurHeen
03-24-2012, 07:48 AM
Personally in rating ACR, my judgement was also affected by other releases that came out during the year (even though they are not of the same genre).

Skyrim, Batman: AC all felt new and refreshing - the same feeling I got when i first played AC2.
ACR just felt like it was a good game, but nothing spectacular to note. Unlike AC2 and ACB, I felt it had too many flaws (forum has been through this too many times to list), though I really liked the addition of the hook blade, which doesn't look like making a re-appearance in AC3.

So the rating for me would be AC2 >> ACB >> ACR.

wow you felt skyrim and batman were refreshing? must be new to games.

YuurHeen
03-24-2012, 08:00 AM
Explain.

AC1 is extremly repetetive, has no subtitles, you have to sit through very long unskippable dialoges when replaying a mission and the combat system is broken.

well whatever i can say does not reall mather that much it will still depend on personal preferences.

ac1 is the most serious assassin game of the 4. With the assassins bureas, the medidations before each kill, the setting, no stupid accents, altiar, that you had to regain respect, the mystery around desmond. it was new and looked great. i also prefered animus 1 over animus 2 UI.
in ac2 they just added a lot of stuff only because fans said they had to. A lot of it did not really feel it belonged in a assassin stoy.
at least in acb most got polished but that one had to worst cliche story.
then acr. it added again a lot of stuff that did not really belong in a assassin story but at least it had a great story and was more serious.

pirate1802
03-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Am I the only one that thinks AC Revelations is the best AC game after AC II?.

Your not alone, I think just the same. played it 5 times already xD

The Byzantines makes no sence, how can they get MASSIVE armies into Constantinopel and no one cares?

I must have missed the part where they showed MASSIVE Byzantine armies in Constantinople...

NoirEvil
03-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Explain.

AC1 had the most balanced combat out of all the games so far.......

Ansatsushas
03-24-2012, 12:57 PM
wow you felt skyrim and batman were refreshing? must be new to games.

It has been a long time between drinks for me since playing the previous title of both games mentioned, compared to the annual AC releases.

OriginalMiles
03-24-2012, 01:06 PM
To me, it's AC2>ACB>AC>ACR

I liked Revelations, but it had pointless things (like den defence) and I don't think the bombs fit in with Hiding in Plain Site, and
the story, good, but not great, and the dialogue, It sounded so emotionless and plain!

Noble6
03-24-2012, 02:32 PM
For me it is AC2>>ACR>>AC1>ACB.

AC2 was better than ACR/ACB because it was fresh and unique experience by then. Technically I think AC1 was the worst but since it was first game it was maybe more fun to play than ACB. ACR felt first bad but it grow better and better as I played it more. None of the games were "perfect" so it is very possible that AC3 will be the best game in the series.

Jexx21
03-24-2012, 02:38 PM
So far, going by which game grabbed me and whispered sweet nothings in my ear the most (and I haven't played ACR yet, so :/).

AC1>>>AC2>ACB

For AC1, I actually had to think over whether it was one of my favorite games. For AC2 and ACB, they both went to my top 10 games without thinking. So, there we go.

LightRey
03-24-2012, 05:09 PM
ACI =~ ACII =~ ACB =~ ACR =~ ACI
(second notation of ACI used to denote lack of significant decline over long periods of time)