PDA

View Full Version : Why America

The8bitAsian
03-23-2012, 09:54 AM
So I was finally able to read Assassin's Creed Wiki, and I read the Revelations plot article. Supposedly, Desmond finds out the location of the central vault by Jupiter. At the end of Revalations, Desmond is accordingly in America. My question is why and where would the central vault most likely be in America?

D.I.D.
03-23-2012, 10:05 AM
The end of the Da Vinci Disappearance in ACB set it up, revealing coordinates which turned out to be in the countryside of New York State. Desmond is already being transported to the location when he receives Jupiter's message.

It makes sense for this part of the story to be in the US since Desmond is a US-born character whose family seems to be heavily entrenched in the US Order. There has been no mention about Desmond's family being immigrants to the US. You would expect he would have important ancestors much closer to him in his family tree than Altair and Ezio were.

Calvarok
03-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Probably because the history of america makes sense with it. It was largely populated only by natives for a long time, and before they came over it was untouched. prefect place for the remnants of the greatest city of a lost civilization to stay hidden. And then fast-forward to the founding of america, with the secrecy involving the founding fathers and various secret societies. It just makes sense.

n00bfi_97
03-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Itīs a publicity stunt. But that does not mean itīs a bad setting, because itīs not.

Calvarok
03-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Itīs a publicity stunt. But that does not mean itīs a bad setting, because itīs not.
They have all of history and the world to choose from, ignoring an event that shaped the next few centuries just because you don't want to look like you're appealing to the largest amount of consumers is stupid. And anyways, Ubisoft always shows things exactly the way they were, so some Americans might learn that their history is not as clean and perfect as it seems in their history textbooks. And maybe the rest of the world will see how American history was actually quite intricate and interesting.

Calling it a publicity stunt is kinda silly. Ubisoft has so much creative control. I doubt that it was a marketing decision that forced them down this route.

frogger504
03-23-2012, 10:46 AM
They have all of history and the world to choose from, ignoring an event that shaped the next few centuries just because you don't want to look like you're appealing to the largest amount of consumers is stupid. And anyways, Ubisoft always shows things exactly the way they were, so some Americans might learn that their history is not as clean and perfect as it seems in their history textbooks. And maybe the rest of the world will see how American history was actually quite intricate and interesting.

Calling it a publicity stunt is kinda silly. Ubisoft has so much creative control. I doubt that it was a marketing decision that forced them down this route.

In other words...

Ubi Montreal knows what the people want which in turn will get them what they want, money. It isn't a bad thing, or surprising in the least that a company just so happens to want money. I see it as a good thing, listen to what people want, stunt or not, and appeal to the masses and get money you need from them. Everyone wins, well not everyone.

Let it be called a publicity stunt, it shall be epic nonetheless.

JCearlyyears
03-23-2012, 11:38 AM
ACR SPOILER___________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

Maybe they get to the grand temple. but it is locked and it was locked by Connor, but this time, there is no clue to the answer but the memories so he has to go into Connor's memories and get to the temple and find out the password. I'm probably so wrong.

Edit: It's an ACR spoiler because of the grand temple.

freddie_1897
03-23-2012, 04:51 PM
ACR SPOILER___________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

Maybe they get to the grand temple. but it is locked and it was locked by Connor, but this time, there is no clue to the answer but the memories so he has to go into Connor's memories and get to the temple and find out the password. I'm probably so wrong.
why is that an ACR spoiler?

p.s. love your signature btw!

kriegerdesgottes
03-23-2012, 05:03 PM
It's not a publicity stunt. Ubisoft just knows and has known the final location for a long long time. I'm American and the American Revolution was not my first choice at all but I'm ok with it because it makes perfect sense. This is also not the typical version of America that most people see which I am excited about. They started in a middle eastern setting then moved into Europe and now they are moving onto the American continent in order to totally change things. They wanted to give fans something totally new and if they had gone to France like I wanted them too then it wouldn't have been such a huge significant change even though it would have been awesome and slightly different.

freddie_1897
03-23-2012, 05:40 PM
im a bit annoyed that the grand temple has to be in the US, i mean lets face it, the US is way to overused and its just so annoying that the largest part of the franchise is in new york, the capital city of practically every single game ever made.
i mean, it doesn't seem like a bad setting, but i was hoping they'd use it in another, future AC game where the main prize of the series isn't located in that area, like italy, or turkey, or israel, or Syria.
out of 196 countries and 2,469,501 cities, it has to be in the most overused city in video game, and movie history.
why couldn't it have been in india? or Egypt? or Burma? or England? or Brazil? or Peru? or France? or any other country in the ENTIRE WORLD?
the world is full of incredible places and things to see, but to me the American Revolution setting is a bit of a disappointment.

don't think I'm not looking forward to it, I'm sure it will be an amazing game, but I'm sick of America being depicted as the best country on the planet

deskpe
03-23-2012, 06:23 PM
I find it abit stupid that people complain about new york simply because its new york, its not like it looks the same at all.

why Desmond is in american is because connor is, makes sense. He'd want to use the information gathered from his ancestor.

"but I'm sick of American being depicted as the best contry on the planet" They've been to the middle east and italy, they werent exactly being depicted as that good, what make you think they will do that to America? the ac team usualy tries to bring out the grime.

I just hope they never take it to Japan as everyone is hoping for .

Why the valut is in american doesent really matter I think wasnt the continets arranged all diferenty before the EVENT with TWHCB.

freddie_1897
03-23-2012, 06:34 PM
I find it abit stupid that people complain about new york simply because its new york, its not like it looks the same at all.

why Desmond is in american is because connor is, makes sense. He'd want to use the information gathered from his ancestor.

"but I'm sick of American being depicted as the best contry on the planet" They've been to the middle east and italy, they werent exactly being depicted as that good, what make you think they will do that to America? the ac team usualy tries to bring out the grime.

I just hope they never take it to Japan as everyone is hoping for .

Why the valut is in american doesent really matter I think wasnt the continets arranged all diferenty before the EVENT with TWHCB.

It kind of does look the same, Desmond is in new york in the modern era looking for a way into the grand temple, he is in the modern day so New york will look the same, and I'm annoyed at the way its overused in loads of games, not in the actual city itself. and It doesn't matter if the continents were arranged differently when TWHCB built the grand temple, they aren't real, Ubisoft could easily have decided that they build it somewhere else, somewhere which isn't being constantly used

in terms of when i said that i was sick of america being depicted as the best country on the planet, i didn't mean just in AC, (although from what i have seen they have, like most games, made the british evil and the americans good) I'm talking about all games that use america, its always got an american protagonist who somehow manages to save the entire human race/america. its never usually a group of multi-cultural individuals who are all exactly the same in terms of skill.

take Homefront for example, i haven't actually played it but i know its about north korea taking over the US. the north koreans are stylised as the bad guys, now, imagine if that were flipped, and you were playing a game where america had taken over north korea, who are considered the bad guys? north korea, again, because no matter what, games will always stick to appealing to there mass market, there mass market is the US, and so they are considered the good guys in almost every game. even if it turns out that the north koreans took over america after america tried to invade them in homefront, the US would still remain the good guys.

Apocolaypse now? about the vietnam war, its got some american rambo like character who kills everything that moves, americans lost vietnam war, vietnam are considered bad guys, MW2? america against russia, russians considered evil.

peepsz
03-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Most games are in America, because most entertainment come from there, and most of the top games have nothing to do with America. And MW2 showed the Russians as average. If anything it showed America as bad guys when they betrayed the soldiers.

freddie_1897
03-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Most games are in America, because most entertainment come from there, and most of the top games have nothing to do with America. And MW2 showed the Russians as average. If anything it showed America as bad guys when they betrayed the soldiers.
please understand, I'm only annoyed by the fact it is overdone, that fact nobody can deny, and i know that its to appeal to the mass audience, but maybe that mass audience should actually go and play games that aren't set in america because I'm sure that they'll find much better games.

I'm just really pissed of that the final epic conclusion to Desmonds story has to be in the most overused country on earth in terms of video games, i'd prefer it if instead of trying to draw in consumers on the final desmond game, they tried to draw them in on the next trilogy with an american revolution setting, and focus more on there long term fans for AC3.

LightRey
03-23-2012, 08:49 PM
please understand, I'm only annoyed by the fact it is overdone, that fact nobody can deny, and i know that its to appeal to the mass audience, but maybe that mass audience should actually go and play games that aren't set in america because I'm sure that they'll find much better games.

I'm just really pissed of that the final epic conclusion to Desmonds story has to be in the most overused country on earth in terms of video games, i'd prefer it if instead of trying to draw in consumers on the final desmond game, they tried to draw them in on the next trilogy with an american revolution setting, and focus more on there long term fans for AC3.
If it were any other time period, I'd agree, but the American Revolution is something completely new to me, so I have nothing to complain about.

freddie_1897
03-23-2012, 08:53 PM
If it were any other time period, I'd agree, but the American Revolution is something completely new to me, so I have nothing to complain about.
i would like to make one thing VERY clear, i have ABSOLUTELY no problem with the American revolution setting, i am annoyed and disappointed that the grand temple is in new york because we are there as Desmond, in the modern Era, the modern era new york has been way to overdone, not the past new york, thats not a problem, its the modern day New york and the grand temple being there that is annoying to me. not the past at all as that has not been overdone

playassassins1
03-23-2012, 09:10 PM
To be honest, I had never thought that AC III would go to The American Revolution, because I thought that that time period had to much guns in it. But i was wrong and i obviously didn't know much about the American Revolution, because i was more interested in the Middle ages and The Renaissance. But suddenly i'm allot more interested in this period than i was before.

masterfenix2009
03-23-2012, 09:24 PM
America seems like a fine and interesting place. I didn't like it at first. But the more I see it, the more I love it.

LightRey
03-23-2012, 09:25 PM
i would like to make one thing VERY clear, i have ABSOLUTELY no problem with the American revolution setting, i am annoyed and disappointed that the grand temple is in new york because we are there as Desmond, in the modern Era, the modern era new york has been way to overdone, not the past new york, thats not a problem, its the modern day New york and the grand temple being there that is annoying to me. not the past at all as that has not been overdone
Well it's not like he's in New York City.

tH3PatRi0Tx1776
03-23-2012, 09:26 PM
It kind of does look the same, Desmond is in new york in the modern era looking for a way into the grand temple, he is in the modern day so New york will look the same, and I'm annoyed at the way its overused in loads of games, not in the actual city itself. and It doesn't matter if the continents were arranged differently when TWHCB built the grand temple, they aren't real, Ubisoft could easily have decided that they build it somewhere else, somewhere which isn't being constantly used

in terms of when i said that i was sick of america being depicted as the best country on the planet, i didn't mean just in AC, (although from what i have seen they have, like most games, made the british evil and the americans good) I'm talking about all games that use america, its always got an american protagonist who somehow manages to save the entire human race/america. its never usually a group of multi-cultural individuals who are all exactly the same in terms of skill.

take Homefront for example, i haven't actually played it but i know its about north korea taking over the US. the north koreans are stylised as the bad guys, now, imagine if that were flipped, and you were playing a game where america had taken over north korea, who are considered the bad guys? north korea, again, because no matter what, games will always stick to appealing to there mass market, there mass market is the US, and so they are considered the good guys in almost every game. even if it turns out that the north koreans took over america after america tried to invade them in homefront, the US would still remain the good guys.

Apocolaypse now? about the vietnam war, its got some american rambo like character who kills everything that moves, americans lost vietnam war, vietnam are considered bad guys, MW2? america against russia, russians considered evil.

It probably won't be the same New York in the modern day. If you remember in AC1, in one of the emails, it talks about how the U.S. had fallen from being a major power in the world and American Citizens are trying to get into Mexico and Canada and they shut down the borders. America is in complete ruin in the AC series at this time, so I'm pretty sure New York City won't be the New York City we know. Also, the New York City in the past is completely different, also most of the city burned down during that time too.

America being depicted as the best country on the planet? Even in U.S. history classes here in the United States we learn that that is not the case. We Americans do learn our history just the way it was, we know that America has done a lot of stupid stuff, from the Trail of Tears, to the Mexican-American War, even in Vietnam. We know our history. We know that George Washington wasn't a perfect man, he was a secretive man, who enjoyed espionage and deception. He owned slaves, even though he treated them fairly, he still owned them. He did grant them their freedom though. The American Revolution wasn't won through honesty and gentlemenship and by following the rules of war. We fought dirty, very, very dirty. We used spies, assassins, and guerrilla tactics to win the Revolution. Even the events leading up to the Revolution were grimy. We would cover taxers with oil and feathers and we would run them out of town. The Boston Tea Party was a fun little get together either. We know our history. But even knowing our history, we know that we are blessed to live in this country, this country that is composed of immigrants. That helps other countries as much as possible and who see no help back and no gratitude either, do we complain? No. So stop complaining about America and it being overused or whatever. I'm glad Ubi is making this game set in the Revolution, so that people can finally see how the Revolution actually was.

Also, the North Koreans are the bad guys in the world. That won't change until they agree to get rid of their nukes and break away from communism. Also, Vietnam wasn't the bad guy in the Vietnam war, we weren't at war with Vietnam. We were helping out the Vietnamese. We were trying to prevent the fall of Vietnam to communism, which we failed. The enemy was the Vietcong, the communist. MW2? Bad example, the Russians weren't portrayed as the bad guys, only the Terrorist organization was portrayed as the bad guys, the Russians were portrayed as the tricked country and so was the U.S. The Americans were portrayed as the bad guys too, since Shepherd was the bad guy also.

I don't see that as a publicity stunt at all. Ubi is a French-Canadian company, they have no need to make a Pro-America game. They aren't Americans, they're Canadian. Ubi has already said that not all the British would be seen as bad and that not all the Colonists will be seen as good, as it clearly was back then. There were many British people who were opposed to going to war with the Americans because they were they're "cousins". Many colonists saw themselves as British Citizens, as Benjamin Franklin did. But things changed when the British Parliament saw them as second-class citizens and denied them rightful representation. Even then, the perception was mixed. Just as not all Germans were Nazis, not all British were tyrants. Remember, most Colonists at this time still viewed themselves as British.

Calvarok
03-23-2012, 09:35 PM
A lot of the info about the US and the world in general from AC1 emails has been retconned. For instance, they said that the movie industry went out of business, but a recent email on the James morse account on the abstergo website mentioned hollywood as something that was still in business.

D.I.D.
03-23-2012, 09:37 PM
It kind of does look the same, Desmond is in new york in the modern era looking for a way into the grand temple, he is in the modern day so New york will look the same, and I'm annoyed at the way its overused in loads of games, not in the actual city itself.

He's in New York State, not NYC. Big difference. It's mostly forests, countryside and really tiny towns over that area.

We don't know if he'll be in the city, but I strongly doubt it because the modelling job involved would be enormous.

D.I.D.
03-23-2012, 09:38 PM
A lot of the info about the US and the world in general from AC1 emails has been retconned. For instance, they said that the movie industry went out of business, but a recent email on the James morse account on the abstergo website mentioned hollywood as something that was still in business.

That would be a continuity error, not a retcon. People throw that word around too much.

LightRey
03-23-2012, 09:39 PM
That would be a continuity error, not a retcon. People throw that word around too much.
It's not even a word.

D.I.D.
03-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Those in doubt, watch this if you didn't already, and set your minds at rest:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/03/21/assassin-39-s-creed-iii-39-s-historical-secrets.aspx

They were on this problem long ago.

freddie_1897
03-25-2012, 09:43 AM
It probably won't be the same New York in the modern day. If you remember in AC1, in one of the emails, it talks about how the U.S. had fallen from being a major power in the world and American Citizens are trying to get into Mexico and Canada and they shut down the borders. America is in complete ruin in the AC series at this time, so I'm pretty sure New York City won't be the New York City we know. Also, the New York City in the past is completely different, also most of the city burned down during that time too.

America being depicted as the best country on the planet? Even in U.S. history classes here in the United States we learn that that is not the case. We Americans do learn our history just the way it was, we know that America has done a lot of stupid stuff, from the Trail of Tears, to the Mexican-American War, even in Vietnam. We know our history. We know that George Washington wasn't a perfect man, he was a secretive man, who enjoyed espionage and deception. He owned slaves, even though he treated them fairly, he still owned them. He did grant them their freedom though.
The American Revolution wasn't won through honesty and gentlemenship and by following the rules of war. We fought dirty, very, very dirty. We used spies, assassins, and guerrilla tactics to win the Revolution. Even the events leading up to the Revolution were grimy. We would cover taxers with oil and feathers and we would run them out of town. The Boston Tea Party was a fun little get together either. We know our history. But even knowing our history, we know that we are blessed to live in this country, this country that is composed of immigrants. That helps other countries as much as possible and who see no help back and no gratitude either, do we complain? No. So stop complaining about America and it being overused or whatever. I'm glad Ubi is making this game set in the Revolution, so that people can finally see how the Revolution actually was.

Also, the North Koreans are the bad guys in the world. That won't change until they agree to get rid of their nukes and break away from communism. Also, Vietnam wasn't the bad guy in the Vietnam war, we weren't at war with Vietnam. We were helping out the Vietnamese. We were trying to prevent the fall of Vietnam to communism, which we failed. The enemy was the Vietcong, the communist. MW2? Bad example, the Russians weren't portrayed as the bad guys, only the Terrorist organization was portrayed as the bad guys, the Russians were portrayed as the tricked country and so was the U.S. The Americans were portrayed as the bad guys too, since Shepherd was the bad guy also.

I don't see that as a publicity stunt at all. Ubi is a French-Canadian company, they have no need to make a Pro-America game. They aren't Americans, they're Canadian. Ubi has already said that not all the British would be seen as bad and that not all the Colonists will be seen as good, as it clearly was back then. There were many British people who were opposed to going to war with the Americans because they were they're "cousins". Many colonists saw themselves as British Citizens, as Benjamin Franklin did. But things changed when the British Parliament saw them as second-class citizens and denied them rightful representation. Even then, the perception was mixed. Just as not all Germans were Nazis, not all British were tyrants. Remember, most Colonists at this time
still viewed themselves as British.
Look, it is overdone in games, I have no problem with America, or Americans, but if you are saying that I'm not allowed to argue my opinion about it being overdone (which it is, don't try and deny that) because you have a lot of immigrants then you are sadly mis-guided. I would sooner see this thread locked than see it become an pro-America argument so I'm not going to go there.

So he's not in new York city, but in upstate? Thats good news actually, however, you do not work for ubi, and the chances are we will go into the real new York at some point.

I was not talking about America being viewed as the best country on earth in real life, I know a lot of Americans don't think this, but in films and movies, most of the time they are, only to appeal to their mass Market in America. This is what I'm most annoyed about, I have been to America and I've loved it, it is an awesome place, but I wish the games industry wouldn't always try to appeal to their mass Market because it gets boring for the rest of us, and I'm sure for some Americans too.

hotgal187
03-25-2012, 10:15 AM
tahy shud do assassincret in holywod so i can play agsent ladyg aga

freddie_1897
03-25-2012, 10:30 AM

This is an English forum, please don't use any other language

ShaneO7K
03-25-2012, 01:51 PM

Wait....was that an attempt of saying you want to play as Lady Gaga in AC? Dear God...

LightRey
03-25-2012, 01:54 PM
Is it just me or is this "hotgal" getting even less understandable?

brick177
03-25-2012, 01:55 PM

This.

So, who's going to start the thread "Is Lady GaGa and Assassin?"

ShaneO7K
03-25-2012, 01:59 PM

I'd actually be scared if english was his/her first language.

brick177
03-25-2012, 02:01 PM
I'd actually be scared if english was his/her first language.

Lol, "his/her"... Anyone named "hotgal" is going to be a dude. It's one of those unwritten rules of trolling.

ShaneO7K
03-25-2012, 02:02 PM
This.

So, who's going to start the thread "Is Lady GaGa and Assassin?"

She's the final boss in AC3.

ShaneO7K
03-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Lol, "his/her"... Anyone named "hotgal" is going to be a dude. It's one of those unwritten rules of trolling.

That's what I was thinking, it was either a girl with a really poor choice of a username or really sad guy looking for attention on the internet.

GeneralTrumbo
03-25-2012, 02:45 PM
Assassins Creed in Hollywood? What?

De Filosoof
03-25-2012, 03:52 PM
we know that we are blessed to live in this country, this country that is composed of immigrants. That helps other countries as much as possible and who see no help back and no gratitude either, do we complain? No. So stop complaining about America and it being overused or whatever.

It's great that you know the history of your country but you should also know how modern day America opperates.
This is something you won't learn in your schoolbooks or on television because it questions the actions of your own country with the possibily of you getting unloyal to your country and government.
If there's one thing the makers from assassin's creed want gamers to learn, it's that history repeats itself.
Helping other countries? By doing what...bomb them?or making whole countries bankrupt through loans by the federal reserve system or corrupt banking corporations like Goldman Sachs?
I'm not anti American, i like most of the American people and i know most of you are good people and you are also a good guy for sure. I just don't like your government just like i don't like my government here at home.

Here's an awesome edited video with the great speech by dr. Dahlia Wasfi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsrMzfhdmkU

Warning: This video could be shocking to some people and change the way the mainstream media formed your vision of the world.

De Filosoof
03-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Assassins Creed in Hollywood? What?

It's a troll for sure, just look at her profile.

freddie_1897
03-25-2012, 04:12 PM
She even spelt girl wrong