PDA

View Full Version : About the size of Boston

deskpe
03-22-2012, 08:37 PM
This is just what I have calculated from diferent reports about the game. It might all be wrong!

http://i39.tinypic.com/34g6ioi.png

SixKeys
03-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Interesting. That would be awesome if it were true but I'll wait until more official news before getting too excited.

pacmanate
03-22-2012, 08:45 PM
Seems legit woo!

tarrero
03-22-2012, 08:49 PM
Interesting, AC have always used a "scale" about 1:6.

deskpe
03-22-2012, 08:59 PM
Interesting, AC have always used a "scale" about 1:6.

I got the info about the scale here LINK (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/663618-New-AC3-Details-Here!)
info about fontrier size compared to Rome here LINK (http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/03/19/exploring-the-assassin-39-s-creed-iii-frontier.aspx) (I'm assuming 1.5 times larger means 50% more not 150% more,, that way of saying it confuses me)
Info about the size of fontier i found here LINK (http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/893633-assassins-creed-iii-interview-fighting-the-revolution) but for whatever reason its not there anymore.....

If they did scale 1:6 on boston it might have been abit too small?
btw: it propably should say 1:3 Not 3:1 whatever makes it smaller than real life i assume ;)

Picture of Rome:
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110524172111/assassinscreed/images/thumb/8/88/Rome_Bird's_eye_view.jpg/729px-Rome_Bird's_eye_view.jpg

Calvarok
03-22-2012, 09:23 PM
Add another half to that and you've got our frontier. Holy crap. That's an intimidating amount of space.

freddie_1897
03-22-2012, 09:25 PM
i know its big, but it dosnt seem big enough to hold the frontier imo

oliacr
03-22-2012, 09:47 PM
hm nice screenshot from Rome , post with another city:D:D , and I will think Boston's size will be larger than Rome.

rileypoole1234
03-22-2012, 10:07 PM
I thought it said 1:3 not 3:1. There is a new picture of Boston on another thread. It looks amazing.

twenty_glyphs
03-22-2012, 10:25 PM
The 1km x 1km size of Rome sounds about right from what I measured from it a while back using the in game custom map markers. The interesting thing about making the dimensions of the Frontier 1.5 times bigger is that it actually increases the area of the map by 2.25 instead of 1.5 (1km x 1km = 1 square kilometer, 1.5km x 1.5km = 2.25 square kilometers). And that's definitely nowhere big enough to encompass the real area between Boston and New York, but it's obviously just a hyper-stylized, compressed representation of it.

The new screenshot of Boston looks amazing, by the way. It actually looks like the average height of buildings is taller than past games. It seems like each story of a building is taller than a story in past games. I don't know if that was just a decision to build them to that scale in this game, or if the architecture in the colonies at the time simply had taller floors.

Calvarok
03-22-2012, 10:31 PM
The 1km x 1km size of Rome sounds about right from what I measured from it a while back using the in game custom map markers. The interesting thing about making the dimensions of the Frontier 1.5 times bigger is that it actually increases the area of the map by 2.25 instead of 1.5 (1km x 1km = 1 square kilometer, 1.5km x 1.5km = 2.25 square kilometers). And that's definitely nowhere big enough to encompass the real area between Boston and New York, but it's obviously just a hyper-stylized, compressed representation of it.

The new screenshot of Boston looks amazing, by the way. It actually looks like the average height of buildings is taller than past games. It seems like each story of a building is taller than a story in past games. I don't know if that was just a decision to build them to that scale in this game, or if the architecture in the colonies at the time simply had taller floors.

Remember also that it's not the full distance. The point where there's a loading screen and you appear outside of boston could very well take up a mile of space that you can't visit. It's not as if Boston is right on the frontier's border.

deskpe
03-22-2012, 11:03 PM
Remember also that it's not the full distance. The point where there's a loading screen and you appear outside of boston could very well take up a mile of space that you can't visit. It's not as if Boston is right on the frontier's border.

its quite close, charlestown wich is said to be part of the frontier is jsut across the water from Boston.

ButIi get what you mean, I'm sure this will be the case with atleast New York.

By the way my math on romes size is all messed up, cause I kinda forgot about it. so I'm glad it still kinda adds up with twenthy_glyphs' calculations x]

SixKeys
03-22-2012, 11:33 PM

In past games they've always had to scale things down somewhat. I believe Hagia Sophia in ACR was the first time they actually stayed true to the actual measurements. It could be that because the buildings in America weren't as tall as those in Europe at the time, they simply didn't have to scale things down in this game. So the buildings look taller when in actuality they're probably just closer to the actual measurements than buildings in the past games have been.

gp2razor
03-22-2012, 11:39 PM
I wonder if we'll be able to run/ride to other citys without the loading inbetween.

deskpe
03-22-2012, 11:52 PM
loading btween New york and fortier and btween frontier and Boston. no loading in the frontier and the settlements inside it.

FreshGroundFX
03-23-2012, 12:03 AM
Man I really didn't like how big Rome was. Pain in the **** to travel anywhere, even with quick travel cus you had to go around the WHOLE city unlocking quick travel posts in the first place.

Constantinople was just the right size. I hope they stick with that format.

dex3108BL
03-23-2012, 12:46 AM
As i have read scale of Boston is really 3:1, Ubisoft has made city bigger than it was in that time period.

frogger504
03-23-2012, 01:58 AM
Irrelevant to the topic but I noticed something while searching the actual size.

Early colonists believed that Boston was a community with a special covenant with God, as captured in Winthrop's "City upon a Hill" metaphor. This influenced every facet of Boston life, and made it imperative that colonists legislate morality as well as enforce marriage, church attendance, education in the Word of God, and the persecution of sinners

I wonder if we will see something reflective of this in AC3.

deskpe
03-23-2012, 02:24 AM
As i have read scale of Boston is really 3:1, Ubisoft has made city bigger than it was in that time period.

No way, that would mean its like 9,9 kilometers wich would be insane and anoying, not to mention how small the frontier would be in comparison ;)

3 meters in real place will be 1 in the game.

brick177
03-23-2012, 02:40 PM
No way, that would mean its like 9,9 kilometers wich would be insane and anoying, not to mention how small the frontier would be in comparison ;)

3 meters in real place will be 1 in the game.

Except for the frontier, which covers a real life area of roughly 100,000 square kilometers.

brick177
03-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Also just read this article (http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/5725/article/new-assassin-s-creed-iii-details-reveal-new-weapon-gameplay-changes-and-more/) that seems to confirm it is 3:1 not 1:3.

"But will the cities of Assassin's Creed III even be big enough to make freerunning fun? It's a common worry, and a well founded one given that New York and Boston weren't that impressive during the war, but Ubisoft has come up with a novel solution to that problem. Their recreation of Boston is actually three times larger than the real city was at the time. It's a bit of a departure for the series, sure, but if it gives us more to climb, that's all right by me."

tarrero
03-23-2012, 05:07 PM
http://www.geo.umass.edu/faculty/wilkie/Wilkie/hist_mass_p23.jpg

According to that map, Boston was about about three miles at that time, therefore AC3īs rendition is 9 miles?????? :O I am 99% sure there is typo error, instead of 3:1, they meant 1:3, which resizes the city to 1 mile, or even a little shorter than that, which, if you ask me, is pretty cool by the way,

freddie_1897
03-23-2012, 05:17 PM

According to that map, Boston was about about three miles at that time, therefore AC3īs rendition is 9 miles?????? :O I am 99% sure there is typo error, instead of 3:1, they meant 1:3, which resizes the city to 1 mile, or even a little shorter than that, which, if you ask me, is pretty cool by the way,
do you think that boston in game will have that countryside area called the common included?

deskpe
03-23-2012, 05:27 PM
christ, that article spells it out quite clearly, Unless somewhere along the chain of information the numbers got switched up and one source got it wrong and the rest just followed.

10 roughly 10km x 10km IF my baisc things are right, not only is it much much larger than the frontier its also 10 times the size of rome?

Just know that all this info seem to be coming for one place and copied onto alot of sites, the chanse of it being ture isn't any smaller or larger by seeing it more places.

Why I doubt this: In reality Boston was large enough for a huge city, if they did it 1:1 it would still be 3 times bigger than ACB's Rome, wich was huge!

freddie_1897
03-23-2012, 05:28 PM
yeah, 3:1 must be a typo

twenty_glyphs
03-23-2012, 05:29 PM

Yeah, and judging from Google Maps the island of Boston appears to be just over a mile wide as well, which would be 1.6 kilometers, which would be bigger than the 1.5 kilometers of the Frontier map size they've said. It wouldn't make sense for the city to be as big as the frontier, and would just be way too big to be fun to play in. Three times bigger than life must be a complete misunderstanding. Even the colonial cities at actual size would be plenty big enough for a map in the AC game, and likely too big.

deskpe
03-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Just to be clear, that artice takes its information from HERE (http://gremiodelassombras.com/) and I already took this to be a typo.

Btw that site has also taken down the article it seems.

Yeah, and judging from Google Maps the island of Boston appears to be just over a mile wide as well, which would be 1.6 kilometers.
Keep in mind the island has grown since 1775.

freddie_1897
03-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Yeah, and judging from Google Maps the island of Boston appears to be just over a mile wide as well, which would be 1.6 kilometers, which would be bigger than the 1.5 kilometers of the Frontier map size they've said. It wouldn't make sense for the city to be as big as the frontier, and would just be way too big to be fun to play in. Three times bigger than life must be a complete misunderstanding. Even the colonial cities at actual size would be plenty big enough for a map in the AC game, and likely too big.
the frontier isn't 1.5 km, its 1.5 times bigger than the brotherhood map

deskpe
03-23-2012, 05:54 PM
the frontier isn't 1.5 km, its 1.5 times bigger than the brotherhood map

A recent article said its 1,5 km x 1,5 km

it is can be both 1,5km and 1,5 times larger.

oliacr
03-23-2012, 05:55 PM
I hope all maps will bigger than Rome! Frontier - Boston - New York etc.

deskpe
03-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Larger usualy means less detailed. its is Very confirmed fontier will be bigger than Rome.

And considering something like 30% of the game will happen in each location NY, Boston, frontier, the chanses are no city will be larger than the frontier. They propably wouldnt be bragging about its size if another part of the game was larger.

Bigger doesent make it gameplay flow better, Rome was fun for the msot part but traveling about got abit tedius after a while (including the anoying fast travel system.)

I would much rather have another city than have the current cities be larger!!

LightRey
03-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Let's not go overboard.

freddie_1897
03-23-2012, 06:53 PM
i hope philladelphia is included, it would also be nice if there was one mission where you assassinated someone in london

dex3108BL
03-23-2012, 07:21 PM
I think that they made it 3 times bigger in scale. For example if city is in scale 0.3X0.3 kilometers, they made it 0.9X0.9 kilometers :D

or 0.5X0.5 if we are looking in square kilometers because 0.9X0.9 is more than 3 times bigger :D

oliacr
03-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Larger usualy means less detailed. its is Very confirmed fontier will be bigger than Rome.

And considering something like 30% of the game will happen in each location NY, Boston, frontier, the chanses are no city will be larger than the frontier. They propably wouldnt be bragging about its size if another part of the game was larger.

Bigger doesent make it gameplay flow better, Rome was fun for the msot part but traveling about got abit tedius after a while (including the anoying fast travel system.)

I would much rather have another city than have the current cities be larger!!
You're right!

pacmanate
03-23-2012, 08:04 PM
Let's not go overboard.

High hopes normally lead to disappointment, especially ones that high!

brick177
03-24-2012, 04:49 PM
It would be awesome if the Boston map included the surrounding towns and forts.

http://home.comcast.net/~fredra/SeigeBoston.jpg

GeneralTrumbo
03-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Has anyone realized that near Boston, there is a town called "Eden, New York"? Anyone think it might be of significance?

JarodRussel2012
09-29-2012, 10:02 PM
I had some spare time and measured the maps in AC2, ACB and ACR by using the position marker. The measured rectangles are overlayed in red.

http://oi50.tinypic.com/b989ow.jpg (http://oi45.tinypic.com/14pwlc.jpg)

That game is going to be massive.

ACfan443
09-29-2012, 10:13 PM
I had some spare time and measured the maps in AC2, ACB and ACR by using the position marker. The measured rectangles are overlayed in red.

Wow, they weren't joking when they said both New York and Boston will be 80% the size of Rome.

Evenesque
09-29-2012, 10:16 PM
That's not even including the ocean maps.

Assassin_M
09-29-2012, 10:17 PM
That's not even including the ocean maps.
Nor the Homestead

rileypoole1234
09-29-2012, 10:22 PM
It would be awesome if the Boston map included the surrounding towns and forts.

I bet it will. The actual "city" of Boston back then wasn't that big so I bet that there'll be some surrounding land.

Has anyone realized that near Boston, there is a town called "Eden, New York"? Anyone think it might be of significance?

You mean near New York City right?

Wow that's actually really cool. Nice job, that makes the size look enormous.

Assassin_M
09-29-2012, 10:27 PM
Im still not convinced that Boston and New York are 80% Rome...

Nope..

JarodRussel2012
09-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Will the Homestead be part of the Frontier or is it an extra map like Monteriggioni was in AC2?

Assassin_M
09-29-2012, 10:33 PM
Will the Homestead be part of the Frontier or is it an extra map like Monteriggioni was in AC2?
Most Probably an Extra map..

Seeing as Connor only removes his Hood there...

ACfan443
09-29-2012, 10:38 PM
Im still not convinced that Boston and New York are 80% Rome...

Nope..

But why? The scaling above looks pretty convincing.

SteelCity999
09-29-2012, 10:43 PM
In past games they've always had to scale things down somewhat. I believe Hagia Sophia in ACR was the first time they actually stayed true to the actual measurements. It could be that because the buildings in America weren't as tall as those in Europe at the time, they simply didn't have to scale things down in this game. So the buildings look taller when in actuality they're probably just closer to the actual measurements than buildings in the past games have been.

Galata Tower in AC:R has been the only landmark, up until AC3, that has been rendered the same as in real life.

The cities are: three units of measure in real-life to one in the game.

The Frontier is not actually connected to Boston and New York, if I remember correctly from an interview. Alex said he didn't you to be able to run from Boston to New York in a few minutes so a loading screen separates them.

Assassin_M
09-29-2012, 10:45 PM
But why? The scaling above looks pretty convincing.
He`s based the scaling on what was told by some of the Devs.

These are not Official Measurements. They`re his..

ACfan443
09-29-2012, 10:48 PM
He`s based the scaling on what was told by some of the Devs.

These are not Official Measurements. They`re his..

But why would you think the devs would lie about the size? They've stressed many times that this game will be huge, so I have no reason to believe Boston and New York won't be 80% the size of Rome

Assassin_M
09-29-2012, 10:51 PM
But why would you think the devs would lie about the size? They've stressed many times that this game will be huge, so I have no reason to believe Boston and New York won't be 80% the size of Rome
Not lie, just Exaggerate..

They said Masyaf was Free roam in ACR and that there will be Many random missions like a Thief stealing from a Merchant and you have to stop him, but what did we get ?? No Free roam and only 2 random Missions..

SteelCity999
09-29-2012, 10:56 PM

That would me my guess as well. No one from Ubi has said anything about exact dimensions and 1.5x or 80% are rough estimates. They could be a bit smaller or larger in reality. For marketing, 1.5x and 80% sounds much better than 1.3x or 76%.

As long as the areas are full of stuff to do, I could care less about the exact size. Between Boston, New York, the Frontier, the Homestead and the water, there will be plenty of area to do stuff.

ACfan443
09-29-2012, 10:56 PM

They said Masyaf was Free roam in ACR and that there will be Many random missions like a Thief stealing from a Merchant and you have to stop him, but what did we get ?? No Free roam and only 2 random Missions..

True say. I'm actually worried about what's been removed from AC3 in the 'cut process'

Assassin_M
09-29-2012, 10:57 PM
That would me my guess as well. No one from Ubi has said anything about exact dimensions and 1.5x or 80% are rough estimates. They could be a bit smaller or larger in reality. For marketing, 1.5x and 80% sounds much better than 1.3x or 76%.

As long as the areas are full of stuff to do, I could care less about the exact size. Between Boston, New York, the Frontier, the Homestead and the water, there will be plenty of area to do stuff.
Nah, I think 1.5 times Rome is about right..

And Yes, I agree.. I could care less about the size, really..

Evenesque
09-29-2012, 10:59 PM
As long as it's about the size of RDR or bigger with about equal the amount of stuff to do, i don't care how big it is after that. It's already larger than any other AC game, let's take it at that.

Assassin_M
09-29-2012, 11:01 PM
As long as it's about the size of RDR or bigger with about equal the amount of stuff to do, i don't care how big it is after that. It's already larger than any other AC game, let's take it at that.
Oh Ho No No No..

RDR`s size is in another league...One of its own..

As a Map on its own... Its a B***

ACfan443
09-29-2012, 11:01 PM

No way will it be bigger than RDR (I'm assuming you're comparing it to AC3's frontier), that map is huge!

EDIT: But to be honest, RDR's map was made bigger than it needed to be, a lot of it was empty. (I remember riding from A to B and it being so tedious)

projectpat06
09-29-2012, 11:15 PM
^^^Yeah seriously doubt it will be bigger than Red Dead, but then again we haven't seen how big they are making the battle fields (which could be huge but possibly just used for those missions) nor know if there will actually be free roam in the Naval portion. From the picture above with the maps, I honestly didn't realize Florence and Venice were that small in comparison to Rome. I would be satisfied if Boston and Ny were just the same size as those two cities bc i seriously doubt they were bigger than those cities at the time. As long as the atmosphere and content is immersive and intriguing, the size isn't much of an issue. The frontier on the other hand gets better the bigger it is.

Assassin_M
09-29-2012, 11:17 PM
^^^Yeah seriously doubt it will be bigger than Red Dead, but then again we haven't seen how big they are making the battle fields (which could be huge but possibly just used for those missions) nor know if there will actually be free roam in the Naval portion. From the picture above with the maps, I honestly didn't realize Florence and Venice were that small in comparison to Rome. I would be satisfied if Boston and Ny were just the same size as those two cities bc i seriously doubt they were bigger than those cities at the time. As long as the atmosphere and content is immersive and intriguing, the size isn't much of an issue. The frontier on the other hand gets better the bigger it is.
The sea is free roamable. That is pretty much Confirmed..

JarodRussel2012
09-29-2012, 11:40 PM
How big is the RDR map anyways, compared to Rome in ACB for example? I was trying to find that out but couldn't find any useful info for a comparison.

Assassin_M
09-29-2012, 11:42 PM
How big is the RDR map anyways, compared to Rome in ACB for example? I was trying to find that out but couldn't find any useful info for a comparison.
RDR is about 4 Romes...

Escappa
09-29-2012, 11:47 PM
In one way AC3 will be bigger than RDR: In RDR you are on the ground all the time, but in AC3 you'll travel on ground, low branches, high branches and very high branches ... so you can say that the frontier will have a playable space that is 4 times bigger than the map shows. ;)

Jexx21
09-29-2012, 11:57 PM
I wonder how big the naval free-roam area is.

I'm guessing that the naval free-roam area will be about the size of Rome, maybe a little less.

If that's true, then AC3 will be about the same size as RDR.

JarodRussel2012
09-30-2012, 12:03 AM
Escappa made a great point. And if RDR is really "only" 4 Romes (I would have guessed it's a lot bigger), then AC3 as a whole is going to feel a lot bigger than RDR.
And then RDR's character could only run, shoot and ride a horse. He couldn't swim, jump, climb or fight. I played RDR and ACB in turns and it always annoyed me that I couldn't do anything in RDR. But the horse riding was a lot better in RDR than in ACB.

Couldn't the naval area be theoretically infinite? A fixed map the size of maybe the Rome map, and then infinite water and perhaps some randomly created stuff? No "the memory ends here" walls.

Escappa
09-30-2012, 12:19 AM
Couldn't the naval area be theoretically infinite? A fixed map the size of maybe the Rome map, and then infinite water and perhaps some randomly created stuff? No "the memory ends here" walls.

It would be cool but...why? I mean it would be kind of pointless AND I would get lost pretty quick.

NOLA_Assassin
09-30-2012, 02:30 AM
The frontier is 2k by 2k according to Steve Masters.

Assassin_M
09-30-2012, 03:10 AM
The frontier is 2k by 2k according to Steve Masters.
So it may actually be bigger than JarodRussel2012 (http://forums.ubi.com/member.php/1335438-JarodRussel2012)`s comparison ?

NOLA_Assassin
09-30-2012, 03:15 AM
So it may actually be bigger than JarodRussel2012 (http://forums.ubi.com/member.php/1335438-JarodRussel2012)`s comparison ?

Watch the second "Making of" ign series, at the end, Steve says it's 2kx2k

Assassin_M
09-30-2012, 03:17 AM
Watch the second "Making of" ign series, at the end, Steve says it's 2kx2k
Heh ? Wow... Never payed attention to that xD

Was too busy watching the Gameplay :p

Assuming he is not Exaggerating... Nice

Thanks, mate:D

Shaxy
09-30-2012, 03:21 AM
Uhm not sure if posted already but the size of both Boston and Newyork was actually confirmed to be 'about' 80% the size of Rome months ago. So yeah...

16:20 - 16:35

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/podcasts/archive/2012/04/05/special-edition-podcast-assassins-creed-3.aspx

Assassin_M
09-30-2012, 03:23 AM
Uhm not sure if posted already but the size of both Boston and Newyork was actually confirmed to be 'about' 80% the size of Rome months ago. So yeah...

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/podcasts/archive/2012/04/05/special-edition-podcast-assassins-creed-3.aspx
We know...

We are arguing if they were exaggerating or not, as they have in the past..

Shaxy
09-30-2012, 03:27 AM
We know...

We are arguing if they were exaggerating or not, as they have in the past..

Yes but it is a podcast. Not only that but it's clear Alex had a clear think about it before answering. I'd say it's correct, not THAT hard to believe. That would put both city's around the size of Constantinople.

Also, when have they exaggerated about the size in the past? Not calling you a liar, i just have not heard anything like that.

Assassin_M
09-30-2012, 03:28 AM
Yes but it is a podcast. Not only that but it's clear Alex had a clear think about it before answering. I'd say it's correct, not THAT hard to believe. That would put both city's around the size of Constantinople.

Also, when have they exaggerated about the size in the past? Not calling you a liar, i just have not heard anything like that.
Rome was said to be 4 times Vencie, but then that was gone and they said that its 3 times Florence...

Also, They said that Masyaf was Free roam in ACR.. So

Also keep in mind that the real Boston and NY were A LOT smaller than Rome at that time, so I expected some Deviation, but 80% times Rome ? Not Buying till I play it..

LoyalACFan
09-30-2012, 03:44 AM
Also keep in mind that the real Boston and NY were A LOT smaller than Rome at that time, so I expected some Deviation, but 80% times Rome ? Not Buying till I play it..

The in-game Rome was a LOT smaller than real Rome too, though. If the in-game Rome was scaled down and the in-game Boston was scaled up, I could buy the numbers they're giving.

Shaxy
09-30-2012, 03:45 AM
Rome was said to be 4 times Vencie, but then that was gone and they said that its 3 times Florence...

4x Venice? I'm pretty sure it was always confirmed to be 3x Florence. Oh well i'll take your word for it, but what you need to grasp is there is the key difference between that situation and this. They actually came out and said it was 3x Florence AFTER they said it was 4x Venice. So it's not like they lied about the size, they probably just changed it. The only way comparing this situation to AC3s would be justified is if they did not actually come out and say it's '3X the size of Florence' - But they did...

However, AC3 is different. They have only ever said the size of the city's is 'about' 80 percent the size of Rome. Multiple times. And that has not changed as far as i know. So why not believe it if only one size has been mentioned from the horses mouth itself?

The Masayaf thing i have heard about actually. However that's basically eradicated from this discussion because we are talking about the size of individual city's, not if they are free-roam-able or not. And Boston and New York is.

And Yes i'm aware that at the time the city's were smaller =) - I hope i clarified. There's not much else i can say to back up my argument other then: Wait - Like you have already suggested :)
The game world will be huge.

deskp
09-30-2012, 03:46 AM
The in-game Rome was a LOT smaller than real Rome too, though. If the in-game Rome was scaled down and the in-game Boston was scaled up, I could buy the numbers they're giving.

boston was scaled down. it is one third of the real size

Assassin_M
09-30-2012, 03:47 AM
Its okay to make something smaller, but its never right when they say something is THAT big when it actually was A LOT smaller..

Mafia II, GTA IV.. Just to name a few..

LoyalACFan
09-30-2012, 04:01 AM
boston was scaled down. it is one third of the real size

I don't think that's true, it would be absolutely tiny if so. I've heard the 3:1 scale number in numerous interviews, including a recent one with Steven Masters. That might be an exaggeration, but there's no way it's actually smaller than real life.

roostersrule2
09-30-2012, 04:15 AM

Also keep in mind that the real Boston and NY were A LOT smaller than Rome at that time, so I expected some Deviation, but 80% times Rome ? Not Buying till I play it..Masyaf is free roam, for me at least. Also there's no way Boston is bigger in the game then real life.

Assassin_M
09-30-2012, 04:16 AM
Masyaf is free roam, for me at least. Also there's no way Boston is bigger in the game then real life.
Masyaf is free roam ? What ?

projectpat06
09-30-2012, 04:44 AM

Off topic but int the podcast at 21:50ish Alex mentions how he is a fan of new game plus. I hope he was able to get this pulled off.

Jexx21
09-30-2012, 05:21 AM
I don't think that's true, it would be absolutely tiny if so. I've heard the 3:1 scale number in numerous interviews, including a recent one with Steven Masters. That might be an exaggeration, but there's no way it's actually smaller than real life.

No, Boston and New York were bigger than you think they were. >.>

They are both 1/3 the size of their real-life counterparts in the late 18th century.

Calvarok
09-30-2012, 07:22 AM
Why is it hard to believe it would be smaller than real life? They've done that for every city in AC... none of them have been totally accurate to scale.

LoyalACFan
09-30-2012, 07:29 AM
Why is it hard to believe it would be smaller than real life? They've done that for every city in AC... none of them have been totally accurate to scale.

Because we were told it was on a 3:1 scale. I'm just going off of what they told us. And yes, they scaled down each previous city in the series, but up until now, they were all pretty major urban centers. I mean, for God's sake... Rome. At this point in time, Boston wasn't even CLOSE to that size. To even make it comparable to the size of Rome, it would have to be enlarged somewhat.

NOLA_Assassin
09-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Heh ? Wow... Never payed attention to that xD

Was too busy watching the Gameplay :p

Assuming he is not Exaggerating... Nice

Thanks, mate:D

I aim to please;)

And on the whole Boston vs Rome, I think Boston is being scaled down but not as much as scaled down as Rome was.

pacmanate
09-30-2012, 10:44 AM
This is why I think it is a 1:3 scale. Have you seen the boston maps? There doesnt seem to be that many buildings... making it bigger sounds more realistic to me,

lothario-da-be
09-30-2012, 10:51 AM
This thread is confusing me are boston and new york now both 80% of rome? Or 1/3 of 80%?

ACfan443
09-30-2012, 11:27 AM
This thread is confusing me are boston and new york now both 80% of rome? Or 1/3 of 80%?

They are said to be around 80% the size of Rome
They are built at 1:3 scale based on real historic maps

KrYpToNiC95
09-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Masyaf is free roam ? What ?

Not sure if you know M but I think he's referring to the bug in ACR where you can quit the game and re-enter and play through all of Masyaf free roam. It works with outside Constantinople aswell.

JarodRussel2012
09-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Woah, a 2k x 2k Frontier could almost hold 4 Rome maps, and it would take you 8-10 minutes running from one end to the next in a straight line without any obstacles.

What will the boundaries of the Frontier be? "memory ends here" walls or natural obstacles (which would be kinda annoying now since he can climb anything and everything).

ACfan443
09-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Woah, a 2k x 2k Frontier could almost hold 4 Rome maps, and it would take you 8-10 minutes running from one end to the next in a straight line without any obstacles.

What will the boundaries of the Frontier be? "memory ends here" walls or natural obstacles (which would be kinda annoying now since he can climb anything and everything).

I remember Steve saying it'll be 2k x 2k but I didn't think anything of it because I didn't know the measurements of the Rome map, so I couldn't make a clear comparison. But you're saying it can hold 4 Rome maps, that can't be possible since they've said it's 1.5 times bigger than Rome, not 4 times?

NOLA_Assassin
09-30-2012, 02:09 PM

I think you mean twice the size of Rome as it was 1k by 1k and it would probably be "memory ends here" as the past AC's were like that.

Jexx21
09-30-2012, 03:13 PM
Because we were told it was on a 3:1 scale. I'm just going off of what they told us. And yes, they scaled down each previous city in the series, but up until now, they were all pretty major urban centers. I mean, for God's sake... Rome. At this point in time, Boston wasn't even CLOSE to that size. To even make it comparable to the size of Rome, it would have to be enlarged somewhat.

In game Rome was no where close to it's real size. Boston and New York are 1/3 of their real life counterparts. Rome was probably somewhere around 1/10th.

And yes, they told us it was a 3:1 scale. 3 being in real life, 1 being in the game.

Also, I think it would be rather stupid to make the areas bigger than they were in real-life. You can remove buildings, but you sure as hell shouldn't add any.

JarodRussel2012
09-30-2012, 03:56 PM
I remember Steve saying it'll be 2k x 2k but I didn't think anything of it because I didn't know the measurements of the Rome map, so I couldn't make a clear comparison. But you're saying it can hold 4 Rome maps, that can't be possible since they've said it's 1.5 times bigger than Rome, not 4 times?

Rome is roughly a 1000 x 1000 square. That fits 4 times into a 2000 x 2000 square, meaning it would be "four times larger".

Actually I made a mistake when I made the comparison maps. An area 1.5 times larger than Rome would be 1000x1500, because one and a half Romes fit into it. An area of 1500x1500 would be 2.25 times bigger than Rome.

ACfan443
09-30-2012, 03:58 PM
Rome is roughly a 1k x 1k square. That fits 4 times into a 2k x 2k square.

But that doesn't make the frontier 1.5 times bigger, that's 4 times bigger, which can't be right

ACfan443
09-30-2012, 04:07 PM
Rome is roughly a 1000 x 1000 square. That fits 4 times into a 2000 x 2000 square, meaning it would be "four times larger".

Actually I made a mistake when I made the comparison maps. An area 1.5 times larger than Rome would be 1000x1500, because one and a half Romes fit into it. An area of 1500x1500 would be 2.25 times bigger than Rome.

I know the math, it's just that I'm confused as to why Steve would say 2k by 2k, when, like you've pointed out, Rome would fit 4 times into that..doesn't make sense. They've specifically been saying that the Frontier will be 1.5 times the size of Rome

pacmanate
09-30-2012, 04:26 PM
I wish a dev or mod would tell us! All I see is numbers.

ACfan443
09-30-2012, 05:00 PM
I wish a dev or mod would tell us! All I see is numbers.

Yes!!

Jexx21
10-04-2012, 01:09 AM
K, I asked the Assassin's Creed facebook page, Boston and New York ARE 1/3 the size of their real-life counterparts, not 3 times the size.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/JoshTheDude/Stuff/asscreed.png

rileypoole1234
10-04-2012, 01:16 AM
K, I asked the Assassin's Creed facebook page, Boston and New York ARE 1/3 the size of their real-life counterparts, not 3 times the size.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/JoshTheDude/Stuff/asscreed.png

Now that clears some things up. 1/3 is still actually huge though, I'm pleased.

Jexx21
10-04-2012, 01:29 AM
Someone was saying that they were too small to even be compared to Rome, but I guess they forgot that Rome was probably a lot smaller in the game than what it was in the Renaissance.

PaCmAn0894
10-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Alex said that Boston and new york will be 80% big as rome but we dont know which one it can be rome from AC brotherhood or the real life rome.

JarodRussel2012
10-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Alex said that Boston and new york will be 80% big as rome but we dont know which one it can be rome from AC brotherhood or the real life rome.

The game Rome of course.