PDA

View Full Version : Brotherhood dialogue

Dejan507
03-22-2012, 04:23 PM
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I just had to see if more people agree
I've been replaying Brotherhood and the dialogue is driving me nuts, it's incredible how awful is it!
I'll list a few awkward conversations down here:

Desmond - "When are we going to get some food down here?"
Lucy - "People who don't work, don't eat." "I was kidding." "You knew I was kidding, right?"
Shaun - "Right, just smile and nod"

Lucy - "I pulled the last leaver"
Desmond - "And I'm sure that will be your last one"
Lucy - "Ha ha, very funny."

Lucy - "If I pulled all the leavers, then what would be left for you?"
Desmond - "Noothing?"
Lucy - "Nice try."

Maria - "Go and destroy them, my son, but remember for whom it is we Assassins fight for"

That was just few I could recall, but you get the idea.
Does anyone else find dialogue very awkward and weird and bad as I do?

OriginalMiles
03-22-2012, 04:37 PM
I thought Lucy and Desmond's dialogue in the sanctuary and crypt was funny... but the Maria line sucked, and Revelations dialogue was worse, it seemed so, emotionless!

pacmanate
03-22-2012, 04:40 PM
It did have some pretty awesome ones

"A hole so deep it goes into the underworld" Or something like that..

LightRey
03-22-2012, 05:07 PM
It did have some pretty awesome ones

"A hole so deep it goes into the underworld" Or something like that..
"Nothing hangs between your thighs. In fact, there is a hole there so deep it reaches into the maledetto inferno!" - Bartolomeo d'Alviano

GeneralTrumbo
03-22-2012, 05:30 PM
I thought the Desmond-Lucy conversation was funny...and it fit what was going on.

Poodle_of_Doom
03-22-2012, 05:43 PM
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I just had to see if more people agree
I've been replaying Brotherhood and the dialogue is driving me nuts, it's incredible how awful is it!
I'll list a few awkward conversations down here:

Desmond - "When are we going to get some food down here?"
Lucy - "People who don't work, don't eat." "I was kidding." "You knew I was kidding, right?"
Shaun - "Right, just smile and nod"

Lucy - "I pulled the last leaver"
Desmond - "And I'm sure that will be your last one"
Lucy - "Ha ha, very funny."

Lucy - "If I pulled all the leavers, then what would be left for you?"
Desmond - "Noothing?"
Lucy - "Nice try."

Maria - "Go and destroy them, my son, but remember for whom it is we Assassins fight for"

That was just few I could recall, but you get the idea.
Does anyone else find dialogue very awkward and weird and bad as I do?

I guess I don't understand what you find weird about it.

Animuses
03-22-2012, 05:53 PM
I really liked the dialogue between Desmond and Lucy. It showed they had chemistry. I found what Maria said to be totally funny the first time I heard it, but I'm guessing it was meant to be serious, so...

I really can't speak for the dialogue between Ezio and the other Assassins since I really don't remember any of it, but they all just annoyed me. La Volpe was awesome and mysterious in AC2, then he just became a ********* who loved to jump to conclusions. Bartolomeo was actually shown to have some brain behind that brawn in AC2, but in Brotherhood, they made him all brawn. To top it off, he wasn't funny.

GeneralTrumbo
03-22-2012, 06:09 PM
I thought what Maria said was really cheesy...

LightRey
03-22-2012, 06:11 PM
I thought what Maria said was really cheesy...
The thing is, people say cheesy things. Not everybody is original and clever.

ACSineQuaNon
03-22-2012, 06:52 PM
The thing is, people say cheesy things. Not everybody is original and clever.

Do you really believe the writer(s) intentionally made the line cheesy, unoriginal, and not clever?

souNdwAve89
03-22-2012, 07:00 PM
I didn't find Maria's line cheesy at all. The reason why she said it made sense to me.

Dejan507
03-22-2012, 07:19 PM
I guess they don't sound as weird when you write them like that. But you all played it, you know how it sounds when they talk in the sanctuary, weird silences and constant shouting

LightRey
03-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Do you really believe the writer(s) intentionally made the line cheesy, unoriginal, and not clever?
I think they intentionally didn't think of making it original or clever. They just made her say what they'd think his mother might say at such a time, regardless of how unoriginal or cheesy it was. At such times she wouldn't have worried about it, so neither should the writers.

Poodle_of_Doom
03-22-2012, 07:58 PM
I think they intentionally didn't think of making it original or clever. They just made her say what they'd think his mother might say at such a time, regardless of how unoriginal or cheesy it was. At such times she wouldn't have worried about it, so neither should the writers.

Let us remember that we're all in the animus too... Remember, sometimes the animus has trouble translating?

Dejan507
03-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Ah come on why are you trying to explain the obviously bad writing with something else... you sound like ubisoft when they accuse animus of every glitch in the game

Calvarok
03-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Brotherhood's animus Dialogue was a bit dramatic, brotherhood's modern day dialogue was PERFECT. Revelations had a darker tone, but better all-around writing, for both modern and animus. Though technically we hear all the modern stuff FROM the animus.

Jexx21
03-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Those lines are good lines...

suppose you think that 'With great power, comes great responsibility' is cheesy also.

SixKeys
03-22-2012, 09:52 PM
I liked the Desmond/Lucy stuff. Sure, some of it was a bit corny, but they did a nice job giving those two some chemistry so it came off as believable that Desmond was a little smitten with her (possibly the other way around as well but I guess we'll never know). Most games would have just put in a lot of sexual innuendo which would have been far cheesier or just had them talk about the technical stuff all the time ("Go pull that lever, now stand over there").

Maria's line never really bothered me, it kinda felt like a throwback to the Godfather movies. There was one female character in one of them that said something similar but I can't remember who. It felt fitting with the whole Italian revenge plot.

Calvarok
03-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Those lines are good lines...

suppose you think that 'With great power, comes great responsibility' is cheesy also.
Exactly. Sometimes things ARE dramatic, and require dramatic wording. Go get 'em son would have seemed stranger, no?

FreshGroundFX
03-23-2012, 12:15 AM
I think it's culture differences. Dejan507, maybe you are outside the US, but that's how people talk over here. Lol, it's half-assed sarcasm and everyone tries to one up everyone else. So to a foreigner it may seem strange, but that's what American conversation sounds like.