PDA

View Full Version : new article on two-handed combat system

ION_05
03-21-2012, 12:16 AM
http://www.nintendo-universe.co.uk/2012/03/20/assassins-creed-iii-to-feature-new-two-handed-combat-system/

Now I really want to know more about this chain dart weapon

bighouse_761
03-21-2012, 12:59 AM
I think i found a chain dart if you dont know what it is but i could also be wrong (and thanks for the artical)http://divinitas-crew.com/images/statii/rope/ropeDart1.jpg

Jexx21
03-21-2012, 01:21 AM
I think that the rope rumor could be true now.

Splinter_Cel575
03-21-2012, 01:23 AM
new things only 2.3 AC3 otherwise go and beat them all

Jexx21
03-21-2012, 01:27 AM
...what the hell are you talking about dude?

Splinter_Cel575
03-21-2012, 01:28 AM
not be anything new

Jexx21
03-21-2012, 01:33 AM
yes, because ya know.. being able to freerun through trees, up mountains, dual wield, use a bow + arrow, tomahawk, flintlock pistols, hunting, and a bunch of other new things aren't new.

Calvarok
03-21-2012, 01:36 AM
The new hidden blade seems like it might be that dart thing. it's new design looks kinda like a harpoon spike or something.

bighouse_761
03-21-2012, 01:43 AM
With that fact that this could possible be an attachment or upgrade to your hidden blade could it integrate with climbing.

(Example) your running threw the dense trees and a branch or tree is too far and u have to spider swing sort of over to it

personly i would not want that but it could always factor into climbing just the the hook blade

Moultonborough
03-21-2012, 02:23 AM
Kinda reminds me of Scorpion when they mentioned this "A further confirmed addition to your assassin’s arsenal is the Chain Dart, which can be used to pierce the necks of your opponents." While I like MK I don't want it in AC.

Poodle_of_Doom
03-21-2012, 03:16 AM
With that fact that this could possible be an attachment or upgrade to your hidden blade could it integrate with climbing.

(Example) your running threw the dense trees and a branch or tree is too far and u have to spider swing sort of over to it

personly i would not want that but it could always factor into climbing just the the hook blade

The new hidden blade seems like it might be that dart thing. it's new design looks kinda like a harpoon spike or something.

Nope. It's been confirmed. The hidden blade is still just a hidden blade.

ION_05
03-21-2012, 03:26 AM
Ya hopefully we won't have to wait until release to find out what it its. Also I wonder how countering will work will this revamped combat system.

Calvarok
03-21-2012, 03:33 AM
The way it sounds, if you press attack when an attack is incoming, it will counter instead of attacking. and you have two counter/attack ****ons, one for each weapon.

GeneralTrumbo
03-21-2012, 03:39 AM
Do you think the weapon wheel will even be in the game? Do you think they will have 2 like Revelations?

ION_05
03-21-2012, 03:41 AM
Ya thats what I though, or you can still go into high profile and you just hold it and press which weapon/hand you want to counter with.

Calvarok
03-21-2012, 03:48 AM
there's no high profile any more.

GeneralTrumbo
03-21-2012, 03:50 AM
there's no high profile any more.
How does it work now? Do you go into high profile without doing anything?

Calvarok
03-21-2012, 03:57 AM
No, the controls just work differently. Th whole concept of having two different modes is gone. Now you can do everything in one mode, which adapts depending on what you're doing (combat, climbing, flat surface)

DavisP92
03-21-2012, 04:09 AM
lol if the rope rumor is true then i'm gonna laugh so hard because so many people said it wasn't true even though a site i put on the forum said they saw it

AnthonyA85
03-21-2012, 04:16 AM
Hm, this dart chain thing reminds me of the Harpoon Chain from Bloodrayne 1 and 2, in bloodrayne 1, it was like a fishing line (using it to pull enemies in and feed on them), and in the second game, it was used as a catch-and-throw weapon.

It's gonna be interesting to see how it's used here.

Poodle_of_Doom
03-21-2012, 04:27 AM
No, the controls just work differently. Th whole concept of having two different modes is gone. Now you can do everything in one mode, which adapts depending on what you're doing (combat, climbing, flat surface)

I actually think this is a very bad idea... You may end up doing something you didn't intend on doing simply because of how you expect to interact with something.

GeneralTrumbo
03-21-2012, 04:33 AM
I actually think this is a very bad idea... You may end up doing something you didn't intend on doing simply because of how you expect to interact with something.
I'm sure that they have worked out all the kinks/problems with that.

Poodle_of_Doom
03-21-2012, 05:02 AM
I doubt it.

frogger504
03-21-2012, 05:33 AM
Nope. It's been confirmed. The hidden blade is still just a hidden blade.

Really? Where?

It seems likely for it to be the Duel wielded dagger. Also, from closer examination of the reveal trailer you can actually see Conner using a Chain Dagger, not the regular Dagger

Also, they said they wanted it to be more of a challenge.

Poodle_of_Doom
03-21-2012, 05:41 AM
Really? Where?

It seems likely for it to be the Duel wielded dagger. Also, from closer examination of the reveal trailer you can actually see Conner using a Chain Dagger, not the regular Dagger

Also, they said they wanted it to be more of a challenge.

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/893633-assassins-creed-iii-interview-fighting-the-revolution

Calvarok
03-21-2012, 06:03 AM
Dude, it's not like they haven't done it in previous AC games. Your controls change when in combat, normal, or climbing. It's just that now it's more simplified because you don't have to switch between two arbitrary states.

GLHS
03-21-2012, 06:16 AM
I thought of Scorpion too when I read that, so this will be very interesting to see how it works. Could be pretty sweet. And considering the new fluidity of the combat system, I can only imagine the possibilities. You're fighting a few guys and one goes to attack you. You counter with the chain blade, pulling him towards you. Wheel him around to face the other guys, just as one goes to attack and use him as a shield. Take your dagger and stab the dude from behind the first guy. Spin around, releasing first guy and counter the incoming attack from the guy behind you. They already confirmed we're gonna be human shielding anyway. I could totally see this working.

edzilla_551
03-21-2012, 06:50 AM
get over here!

morpheusPrime08
03-21-2012, 07:43 AM

How can you complain about something you havent even seen yet? All it means is that instead of having to,( pause fight a group of bad guys, pause, start running), its now one fluid motion. Idk it just bugs me that you can right off something without even seeing it O_o.

Epsilonyx
03-21-2012, 08:01 AM
If its a dart, that implies that you throw it at people or objects. Piercing someone's neck would kill them someone instantly. Maybe its an adaptation of the ziplines, though that defies physics.

frogger504
03-21-2012, 10:32 AM
How can you complain about something you havent even seen yet? All it means is that instead of having to,( pause fight a group of bad guys, pause, start running), its now one fluid motion. Idk it just bugs me that you can right off something without even seeing it O_o.

How can you be praising something you haven't even seen yet?

Same concept applies...

Anyways...

http://www.knife-depot.com/images/product/1d/43324.jpg

This is what I got from Chain Dart. Seems awesome, I saw something like this in the trailer. Hopefully it will work as a sort of grapple or something of the like. It makes me think of Just Cause 2

Splinter_Cel575
03-21-2012, 12:28 PM
but we need and memorable missions

Poodle_of_Doom
03-21-2012, 03:13 PM

Same concept applies...

Anyways...

This is what I got from Chain Dart. Seems awesome, I saw something like this in the trailer. Hopefully it will work as a sort of grapple or something of the like. It makes me think of Just Cause 2

That. And the only critique that I am presenting, that no one seems to understand, is that automated combat on my behalf is a bad thing.

LightRey
03-21-2012, 03:14 PM

Same concept applies...

Anyways...

Who's praising it?

pacmanate
03-21-2012, 04:39 PM
Guess this confirms the rope travelling thing? The article said you could shoot it at peoples necks but does anyone else find that is totally unnecessary? Why would you shoot something with a massive piece of rope at the end of it at a guards neck, it means you would have to follow the rope and then pull the spear head out of his neck and it seems like a waste of time.

HOWEVER

I can see this being useful for the Frontier, It should be propelled with enough force to pierce a tree. BUT THEN, there is a problem with when you get to the otherside, how do you get the rope down :P

Calvarok
03-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Dude, the answer to both of those questions is you just yank it out. That's why it's on a chain or rope or whatever.. You don't throw it out of your hands, you use it like a whip.

pacmanate
03-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Dude, the answer to both of those questions is you just yank it out. That's why it's on a chain or rope or whatever.. You don't throw it out of your hands, you use it like a whip.

How? You would have a spear at a tree here ------> | |<---- and the other end here. The left side would have the spear in but the right side where you started off would have to be wrapped around the tree. You're telling me you could just yank the rope and the knot would be undone?

Calvarok
03-21-2012, 05:10 PM
It's not a spear. It's a dart. That doesn't sound big enough to go through an entire tree. Why would you assume the blade has to stay in whatever you threw it in? Anyways, it doesn't sound like it'll be used for swinging through trees or anything, it's not a grappling hook.

freddie_1897
03-21-2012, 06:46 PM
i was just wondering, if they bring back this templar control thing, how do you think it will work in the frontier?

De Filosoof
03-21-2012, 09:27 PM
i was just wondering, if they bring back this templar control thing, how do you think it will work in the frontier?

Maybe something like this?

http://concreteplayground.com.au/_snacks/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/o2-Treehouse-4.jpg

lol

Calvarok
03-21-2012, 11:32 PM
Game informer asked if they were bringing it back, and they said no.

rob.davies2014
03-21-2012, 11:47 PM
It would be really cool if there was a Treehouse Network which served as a base for Assassins. Maybe not the main one but like an outpost in the Frontier where they stock supplies and weapons and where Assassins could escape to.

Poodle_of_Doom
03-21-2012, 11:56 PM
Who's praising it?

I don't know....

I thought of Scorpion too when I read that, so this will be very interesting to see how it works. Could be pretty sweet. And considering the new fluidity of the combat system, I can only imagine the possibilities. You're fighting a few guys and one goes to attack you. You counter with the chain blade, pulling him towards you. Wheel him around to face the other guys, just as one goes to attack and use him as a shield. Take your dagger and stab the dude from behind the first guy. Spin around, releasing first guy and counter the incoming attack from the guy behind you. They already confirmed we're gonna be human shielding anyway. I could totally see this working.

frogger504
03-22-2012, 05:12 AM

well it is going to have the Lairs/Dens but in a different way.

I would actually like a series of Tree houses and they would make sense. Not sure about quick traveling, although they did say it would be in the game, in some way.

Calvarok
03-22-2012, 05:13 AM
They aren't bringing back the den feature, though we do know there will be encampments of soldiesrs and stuff in the wilds

frogger504
03-22-2012, 05:16 AM
They aren't bringing back the den feature, though we do know there will be encampments of soldiesrs and stuff in the wilds

In the Game Informer Article they said they would bring back the Den/Lair Concept back, re-imagined as everything else. What won't return is the Den Defense.

Calvarok
03-22-2012, 05:18 AM
Oh, whoops. I forgot they only said no den defense. I don't think they explicitly said Den-like things would exist.

frogger504
03-22-2012, 05:44 AM
Oh, whoops. I forgot they only said no den defense. I don't think they explicitly said Den-like things would exist.

Yeah, I think they said this:

Platforming Levels
Whether called Dens or Lairs, the platforming focused levels remain something of a mystery in this new installment. Even so, we know they will be back in some capacity. "People liked those. We liked those. It's not something we'd remove." May says.

Calvarok
03-22-2012, 05:51 AM
Ohhh, those are talking about the tombs and lair "ultimate armor" missions. So they weren't talking about borgia tower styled stuff at all.

SleezeRocker
03-22-2012, 05:58 AM

I totally support this! I wish I knew which thread/post I said it ( might buried somewhere in my past posts) but I remember I said something like "What if we got like a chain/spear blade and go swing around?". If this what will be featured than AC3 my somewhat wish has been fulfilled :D

frogger504
03-22-2012, 06:51 AM
Ohhh, those are talking about the tombs and lair "ultimate armor" missions. So they weren't talking about borgia tower styled stuff at all.

It confused me actually. The section is entitled Platforming but they spoke about Lairs and Dens, could they have mixed up what Platforming was? Could dens be considerend platforming? Since you have to climb the tower and such. Also, the Den Defense was a different section, that's still gone.

LightRey
03-22-2012, 01:20 PM
It confused me actually. The section is entitled Platforming but they spoke about Lairs and Dens, could they have mixed up what Platforming was? Could dens be considerend platforming? Since you have to climb the tower and such. Also, the Den Defense was a different section, that's still gone.
"Lairs and Dens" is referring to stuff like the Assassin Tombs, Templar Lairs and Romulus Lairs.

Poodle_of_Doom
03-22-2012, 03:54 PM
I totally support this! I wish I knew which thread/post I said it ( might buried somewhere in my past posts) but I remember I said something like "What if we got like a chain/spear blade and go swing around?". If this what will be featured than AC3 my somewhat wish has been fulfilled :D

Nope. The hidden blade is simply a standard hidden blade. This has been confirmed. There is nothing special about it.

frogger504
03-22-2012, 04:12 PM
Nope. The hidden blade is simply a standard hidden blade. This has been confirmed. There is nothing special about it.

Unless you have seen something I haven't, no they haven't. They have mentioned the Hidden Blade is in the game but not anything about it only being a Hidden Blade just like those from before.

I think that it is the Dagger doubling as the Blade.

pacmanate
03-22-2012, 04:41 PM
There is a picture that shows that the hidden blade shape does look like his dagger

LightRey
03-22-2012, 05:15 PM
There is a picture that shows that the hidden blade shape does look like his dagger
You can't see whether that's the hidden blade. It could very well be him just holding his dagger that way. Besides, as I said before in the trailer he was using a different dagger.

Poodle_of_Doom
03-22-2012, 05:38 PM
Unless you have seen something I haven't, no they haven't. They have mentioned the Hidden Blade is in the game but not anything about it only being a Hidden Blade just like those from before.

I think that it is the Dagger doubling as the Blade.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/663460-new-interview-(if-already-posted-i-apologize)

The article posted in the above thread had something on it. The article has since been taken down though...

oliacr
03-22-2012, 07:16 PM
the hidden blade's shape is standard! .

Poodle_of_Doom
03-22-2012, 08:00 PM
the hidden blade's shape is standard! .

How the heck does that contribute anything?