PDA

View Full Version : Reliving Desmond memories- Why can't we?

JCearlyyears
03-18-2012, 08:29 PM
I suppose it is better said as remembering Desmond's memories
Why can we only relive the ancestor memories? I'd like to remember Desmond memories.
I mean any Desmond memories, 3rd or 1st person. ANY Desmond stuff, missions, memories, whatever. He likely remembers everything, it would be nice to replay it.
You know how you can remember stuff, you don't need an animus to remember things. It's the same for Desmond. Wouldn't it be cool to see all of the stuff Desmond does in AC3 again w/o having to replay the entire game? I'm not talking about really old stuff in the Farm, and the escape. I''m not talking about the stuff he does in AC1,2,BH, Revelations. I'm talking about the stuff he will do in AC3. If it's supposed to be really good, I'd like to be able to replay everything.
I don't mean relive it in the animus, I'm talking about in his head like we can without an animus.
To those who say no, please say why.
Ok, it seems like I'm not saying this clearly enough. You know Desmond does stuff(Ex: Stab Lucy, kill templars in AC2, he'll do more in AC3-Just examples, I don't expect to replay stuff he did in all of the other games) So you can do that, then after, you can do it again, by remembering it, well you can't, but you should be able to. It is really annoying re playing through the entire game to do it again. It's basically the same situation as reliving ancestor memories, but instead, it's without an animus, and you it's Desmond's memories.

Assuming there is an exit animus option, you exit the animus, press pause, and then you go down to memories, select it, there is a timeline, but you cant play the stuff from the other games, but as you go through the game, you get more and more memories obviously, and then you can replay them. It's organized into sequences and memories just like in the animus, except it's without an animus.

And if you can't exit the animus, you pause the game while in the animus obviously, go down to memories, select it, there is a timeline, but you can't replay the stuff from the other games, and as you go through the game and get more memories, you can replay them. It's organized into sequences and memories, but you aren't actually using the animus to relive the memories. Think of it as sitting in a high tech chair while remembering things.

LightRey
03-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Sure, why not? We already kinda did in ACR. If there's anything interesting still in there I certainly wouldn't mind reliving it.

naran6142
03-18-2012, 08:31 PM
thats kinda what the pillars in ACR were for... tho i guess you mean actual third person stuff

OriginalMiles
03-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Do you mean replay Desmond missions or His actually memories?

JCearlyyears
03-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Do you mean replay Desmond missions or His actually memories?

Any Desmond stuff. Inside or outside the Animus if he does have any stuff in the Animus.

frogger504
03-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Sure, why not? We already kinda did in ACR. If there's anything interesting still in there I certainly wouldn't mind reliving it.

I always thought there was some type of limit where it couldn't beso close to the person? Otherwise they could just check out William's memories and all others? Or am I wrong?

I wouldn't mind either, although from what we know from ACR the only significant thing that happened before AC1 was him escaping the Farm through the Woods.

LightRey
03-18-2012, 08:43 PM
I always thought there was some type of limit where it couldn't beso close to the person? Otherwise they could just check out William's memories and all others? Or am I wrong?

I wouldn't mind either, although from what we know from ACR the only significant thing that happened before AC1 was him escaping the Farm through the Woods.
Theoretically they could, but we don't know who William is related to and we also don't know if Desmond's mom is even alive. Besides, Desmond was the only person related to these important people that was near the Animus at the time and he still needed to train to become an Assassin.

naran6142
03-18-2012, 10:12 PM
why dont we go back to the desmond's theory? 16 did say "your son" in the sub title in ACB :D

JCearlyyears
03-19-2012, 12:49 AM
why dont we go back to the desmond's theory? 16 did say "your son" in the sub title in ACB :D

Do you mean Desmond's son? What's the Desmond's theory?

frogger504
03-19-2012, 12:52 AM
Do you mean Desmond's son? What's the Desmond's theory?

I think it has something to do with Desmond's Son having to save everyone? Or sacrificing the son for the world?

kriegerdesgottes
03-19-2012, 01:30 AM
I thought I remember hearing Darby say that Desmond would be unable to relive memories of his grandparents or maybe it was his parents for some reason that I can't remember so I would think that also implies he can't relive his own but if it wasn't for that narrative reason, I would def have no problem with reliving his memories. In fact I was hoping that would be the case in Revelations but it didn't quite work out that way.

frogger504
03-19-2012, 01:39 AM
Thinking about it though, Vidic knew about Clay's origins and was suspicious of something, why wouldn't he force Clay to relive his own life and figure it out. This is pure speculation but I think it isn't possible to relive direct DNA, only older DNA.

JCearlyyears
03-19-2012, 02:14 AM
Maybe he didn't have time to make him relive things.

Farlander1991
03-19-2012, 05:57 AM
This is all unscientific techno-babble, obviously, but maybe the reason why you can't relive your own memories in the Animus (at least the normal third-person way, not the scrambled first-person way) is because your own memories aren't actually a part of your DNA, but your brain. They're not ingrained in any DNA yet.

Maybe that's why the first-person things are so surreal, because when you're going through them - you're going through your own mind/brain, and Desmond with Subject 16 had pretty messed up minds with all the Bleeding Effect and all that stuff that happened to them.

JumpInTheFire13
03-19-2012, 06:19 AM
This is all unscientific techno-babble, obviously, but maybe the reason why you can't relive your own memories in the Animus (at least the normal third-person way, not the scrambled first-person way) is because your own memories aren't actually a part of your DNA, but your brain. They're not ingrained in any DNA yet.

Maybe that's why the first-person things are so surreal, because when you're going through them - you're going through your own mind/brain, and Desmond with Subject 16 had pretty messed up minds with all the Bleeding Effect and all that stuff that happened to them.
Interesting... I'm going with this reason.

JCearlyyears
03-19-2012, 01:07 PM
That's interesting. Desmond wouldn't need an animus to remember things though.

I edited the original post for extra clarity...

GeneralTrumbo
03-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Sacrificing his son to save the world? Sounds a lot like a story we all know.-God sacrificing Jesus to save us all.

dxsxhxcx
03-19-2012, 02:27 PM

It's Ubisoft who decides how the animus will work, they could have done those memories in 3rd person if they wanted, there's no reason to find a scientific reason to answer why they're in 1st person because the only reason is because Ubisoft wanted them to be that way, probably due to the time they had to make the game (that's the price we pay for yearly releases)... we already saw Desmond's "memories" in ACR and I doubt they would waste their time showing us the same events again in 3rd person, this should have been done in ACR...

LightRey
03-19-2012, 04:36 PM
It's Ubisoft who decides how the animus will work, they could have done those memories in 3rd person if they wanted, there's no reason to find a scientific reason to answer why they're in 1st person because the only reason is because Ubisoft wanted them to be that way, probably due to the time they had to make the game (that's the price we pay for yearly releases)... we already saw Desmond's "memories" in ACR and I doubt they would waste their time showing us the same events again in 3rd person, this should have been done in ACR...
This. Also, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be encoded in their DNA already. The only way it could work in a way that would not permit someone to relive their own genetic memories would be if it was all encoded in sperm/egg cells, which seems unlikely as that would mean that you can't relive the genetic memories of women unless the egg cell DNA was constantly being rewritten.

JCearlyyears
03-19-2012, 08:51 PM
Yet sill, you do not need an animus to relive your own memories.

LightRey
03-19-2012, 08:58 PM
Yet sill, you do not need an animus to relive your own memories.
True, but it could make it more immersive (for the subject I mean). Reliving a memory in the animus is closer to dreaming a memory than just regularly imagining it. Also, genetic memories are probably a lot less vulnerable to corruption as our minds tend to change them sometimes when we think about them.

JCearlyyears
03-19-2012, 09:12 PM
This is a video game. Maybe he has really good memory... or maybe he documents everything that happens right after it happens and pays attention so he wont accidentally forget anything. He's in a very important situation and shouldn't leave things to chance.

LightRey
03-19-2012, 09:49 PM
This is a video game. Maybe he has really good memory... or maybe he documents everything that happens right after it happens and pays attention so he wont accidentally forget anything. He's in a very important situation and shouldn't leave things to chance.
That all sounds very unlikely. I'm not even sure why we're discussing this anyways. Vidic knew S16 was an Assassin the entire time he was an Animus subject.

JCearlyyears
03-19-2012, 11:11 PM
That all sounds very unlikely. I'm not even sure why we're discussing this anyways. Vidic knew S16 was an Assassin the entire time he was an Animus subject.

Uh... what?

LightRey
03-20-2012, 02:23 AM
Uh... what?
Well the primary reasoning behind this point seems to be that Vidic would have wanted to search S16's own life memories, which he wouldn't since he really already knew all he needed to know about him.

JCearlyyears
03-21-2012, 02:22 AM
I felt like you meant to quote someone else when replying. I wasn't talking about S16 when you quoted me, and then I said Uh... what? I was talking about Desmond recording everything in a journal after it happens so he can remember everything., so he can relive memories with accuracy.

And to the people saying no, again I say WHY?!