PDA

View Full Version : should i... first 4 ACs

Phenom2321
03-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Should i buy 1, 2, B, and R.

I have played the first a little and im really liking 3 so should i play them and try to get the story down

Acrimonious_Nin
03-18-2012, 04:33 PM
yes you should, the story is gonna be very hard to grasp in AC3 so you better get all the games now and play before you buy AC3 or the experience will be >_> confusing and horrible and zeus will smite thee with his THUNDERBOLT..>_>

Vex_Assassin
03-18-2012, 04:42 PM
In my opinion, you should definitely play the first 4 installments before playing AC3.

blazefp
03-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Should i buy 1, 2, B, and R.

I have played the first a little and im really liking 3 so should i play them and try to get the story down

You won't get any answer other than "Yes" here

rileypoole1234
03-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Yeah you really should. At least play AC2.

freddie_1897
03-18-2012, 04:56 PM
i would buy AC2 and ACB, ACR was good, but unless you really want it, it wasn't really as good a standard as AC2 and ACB as it had a shorter storyline and side missions, so i'd just watch a lets play of it, hannah from the yogscast did a good play through

D.I.D.
03-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Essential: AC2, ACB
Worth playing: AC1
Skippable: ACR

GLHS
03-18-2012, 05:22 PM
No AC fan will tell you not to at least play them all for the story. There is no possible way you won't be lost going into AC3 without playing them or at least doing extensive research. But they're all amazing and I promise you will have fun playing them, so I suggest you do it anyway.

AdamXEve
03-18-2012, 05:24 PM
I got AC1 when it came out, AC2 when it came out and skipped Brotherhood and Revelations up until yesterday when I bought Revelations.

Honestly, I watched the story for both Brotherhood and Revelations online and got the jist of everything I missed, so you could reasonably watch the games (playthroughs and/or cut-scenes) on YouTube over the next months and pretty much know the story of the games if you don't feel like spending the money on all of these games. Eventually though, you should buy them all. Like Brotherhood, I doubt I get it before I get AC3, but eventually down the line I plan on getting it for a few bucks just so I can go back and play through them all in marathons.

So yeah, the guy above me isn't correct; if you don't feel like dropping the cash you can YouTube all of the games and know just as much as anyone else. Although picking up AC1 and AC2 probably wouldn't be too very expensive anyway, but yeah, do it anyway you want.

I also find it funny how people say AB is essential. I watched that game and it's far from essential, so far from essential that I skipped playing it all together for the time being, but this is probably an issue of taste. There is ONE vital event that happens in Brotherhood and you can watch it on YouTube. Basically, the two ACII expansions do not do the first two games justice and please do not buy into this "you don't need to play AC1' **** that has been spreading around the net like a virus. The game is easily the best in the series.

Phenom2321
03-18-2012, 05:27 PM
I might do it since ive been in the hospital for the last week qnd will be home for a week or more, with nothing to do really. It should cost me about 100 though, so we will see. Thanks guys

Another thing, the story seems really deep and interesting. Do you guys agree or have a difficult time understanding it or anything. Do i need to play the mobiles to get a full understanding or anything

GLHS
03-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Well AC2 is pretty big and takes a while to get through, so maybe you could just get and play that for now and get the other games later. It will take you at least a week to play it if you don't just rush straight through the story and do nothing else.

AdamXEve
03-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Also, Revelations has really good multiplayer with a lot of players. I wasn't going to buy either B or R, but the multiplayer is a lot of fun. So take that into account as well.

Vex_Assassin
03-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Well AC2 is pretty big and takes a while to get through, so maybe you could just get and play that for now and get the other games later. It will take you at least a week to play it if you don't just rush straight through the story and do nothing else.
You're right, AC2 is a long game if you do everything (feathers, glyphs, assassination contracts, etc.). The first time I played it, it took me around 35-40 hours (without guides) to achieve 100% if I recall. AC2 is the best installment in the series if you ask me.

AdamXEve
03-18-2012, 05:37 PM
AC2 in terms of story, gameplay and everything is the most complete experience. So yes, get it if you want all of that minus multiplayer. However, if you want a very rich and unique experience, play the first Assassin's

Phenom2321
03-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Another thing, the story seems really deep and interesting. Do you guys agree or have a difficult time understanding it or anything. Do i need to play the mobiles to get a full understanding or anything

Just bumping this over

AdamXEve
03-18-2012, 05:48 PM
I have no troubles understand it.

Vex_Assassin
03-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Just bumping this over
I find it hard for me to assimilate everything we learn in a game from one playthrough because there's a lot of information. I usually play the games twice to fully understand what's going on. I played AC1 twice, AC2 4 times (I really like this game), Brotherhood twice and I played Revelations only once (I don't even want to play it again). The story is not difficult to understand but you have to pay attention when you play the games. Also, I didn't play any AC mobile games, if you're talking about Recollection and those ones. I played the 4 consoles games and Project Legacy on Facebook, which was really interesting.

peepsz
03-18-2012, 06:30 PM
I would play/rent them all. Just get GameFly for a month and play them.

You could grasp the story off of play throughs, but you won't feel anything emotion to the characters and personally I hate that.

It's like watching Harry Potter/Star Wars/ or even the Batmam series, if you don't watch the previous movies, the last one won't be very good when you watch it .

oliacr
03-18-2012, 06:32 PM
You must buy all!

D.I.D.
03-18-2012, 06:36 PM
I also find it funny how people say AB is essential. I watched that game and it's far from essential, so far from essential that I skipped playing it all together for the time being

Well exactly, you didn't play it. It's got the best gameplay of the entire series so far, and the greatest replay value because of the different approaches you can come up with to play the missions.

The extra information in the puzzles in Brotherhood is very important, and you probably didn't see that on YouTube.

LightRey
03-18-2012, 06:45 PM
I advise you to play through all the games. People often claim they understand the story after playing through one of them without playing through the previous ones, but then they come up with stuff like SPOILER saying Ubi F-ed up on the apple, saying that it couldn't be at 2 places at the same time, while there is actually more than one (which really should have been more than obvious after AC1).

brick177
03-18-2012, 06:54 PM
As a fan, I'd say play them all if you can. However, here's the thing. AC2 was a masterpiece and I'm thinking AC3 will be even more so. If you are going to play any game before AC3 you should play AC2. After you play AC2, if you really want more explanation to the story, get Brotherhood and Revelations, they will not disappoint you.

If you are getting AC3 for the historic story and not Desmond's story, the developers have said that AC3 will be easy enough for new players to jump in on while still giving series fans all the answers they've been looking for. You will be confused about the higher level story arc that spans all the games, but the main, historical story, will be there in its entirety.

Phenom2321
03-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Yeah thats what i was thinking brick. Ill understand conners, but not deamonds or references of the others.

JumpInTheFire13
03-18-2012, 07:15 PM
AC1 explains the war between the modern day Assassins and Templars best, and it also explains how the animus works. Just play all of them. You can get AC1, AC2, and ACB all together in the "Master Assassin Pack" for only $40. You could skip ACR without missing much of the modern day story, but I would still recommend playing them all. If you just watch videos on youtube, you won't become emotionally attached to the characters and you won't really get a sense for the amazing landscapes that you get to explore when you play the games, as well as the awesome soundtrack.

Black_Widow9
03-18-2012, 07:34 PM
Yes. If you want the full scope of the story. ;)

Phenom2321
03-18-2012, 07:34 PM
I cant find that pack for xbox on gamestop. I might just puck up 1 and 2 then B and R when the price drops

Assassin_M
03-18-2012, 09:24 PM
I might do it since ive been in the hospital for the last week qnd will be home for a week or more, with nothing to do really. It should cost me about 100 though, so we will see. Thanks guys

No, you only need t play the Main Installments to have a good grasp on the Story of Desmond..
As for the comprehension of the story... well, thats solely up to your level of intellect..

abbitha7
03-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Definitely. At least play AC2, ACB, and ACR. I never finished the first game, but I was able to look up the details that I needed to understand. I am going to go back and finish the first one at some point.

SaintPerkele
03-18-2012, 10:28 PM
I got AC1 when it came out, AC2 when it came out and skipped Brotherhood and Revelations up until yesterday when I bought Revelations.

Honestly, I watched the story for both Brotherhood and Revelations online and got the jist of everything I missed, so you could reasonably watch the games (playthroughs and/or cut-scenes) on YouTube over the next months and pretty much know the story of the games if you don't feel like spending the money on all of these games. Eventually though, you should buy them all. Like Brotherhood, I doubt I get it before I get AC3, but eventually down the line I plan on getting it for a few bucks just so I can go back and play through them all in marathons.

So yeah, the guy above me isn't correct; if you don't feel like dropping the cash you can YouTube all of the games and know just as much as anyone else. Although picking up AC1 and AC2 probably wouldn't be too very expensive anyway, but yeah, do it anyway you want.

I also find it funny how people say AB is essential. I watched that game and it's far from essential, so far from essential that I skipped playing it all together for the time being, but this is probably an issue of taste. There is ONE vital event that happens in Brotherhood and you can watch it on YouTube. Basically, the two ACII expansions do not do the first two games justice and please do not buy into this "you don't need to play AC1' **** that has been spreading around the net like a virus. The game is easily the best in the series.
This man right there. Listen to him, for he is wise.

I don't know why people always say that ACB is essential (or at least more essential than AC1 and ACR). ACB had a rather weak storyline, forgot completely about things such as the Creed as well as the Templars' believes (as a matter of fact, it was not mentioned even once in the game, who actually was a Templar and who you simply wanted to get rid of; ACR's multiplayer files tried to clean up that mess). Some of the story missions were even oddly attached to the previous ones. While there were some well designed places (Colosseo, Pantheon and Castello Sant'Angelo to be precise, as well as some side mission locations), the city itself was rather boring and noteably small compared to the two previous installments, considering how much countryside there was. Gameplay mechanics in ACB and ACR became too much at a certain point too.
Now don't get me wrong - ACB was not a bad game, not at all. But if you really want to say which AC games are the most essential ones - this one certainly isn't.

Start with AC1, if you are actually interested in the story, the ideology and the philosophical aspects. Also, with AC1 you will have a unique experience, as the gameplay mechanics are quite different (I assume that AC3 will be more similar to AC1 in terms of that).
Continue with AC2, as it is one of the most compact games you'll ever play. Not only great story and well designed places like in AC1, but also a ton of side missions, good gameplay mechanics and - unlike the first part - it does not feel like you're doing the same thing over and over again.

After having played these two games, you will know for yourself wether you want to skip the Ezio expansions or not. They don't offer much for the main storyline, you can easily sum that up in five minutes or so. The expansions to Ezio's and Altair's storylines are not absolutely neccessary if you want to play AC3. Don't listen to people who say ACR is not worth playing - that's just not true. It's depending on what you're looking for. I for example was looking for a beatifully reconstructed city with a great atmosphere as well as a good story - I got what I hoped for. Other people just want a huge amount of side missions - you won't get that in ACR.

Just a personal note. If you're American and got interested in AC3 because of the setting, however stopped playing AC1 because you found it boring or whatever - just read a summary of the storyline and don't play any of the previous games at all. Or start playing AC1 again and find out whether you're interested in the whole franchise, that should help you in making your decision.

playassassins1
03-18-2012, 10:30 PM
If you want to understand the whole story, play AC I , II B and R, or you can just Watch walkthroughs on Youtube. But thats your choice

JumpInTheFire13
03-18-2012, 11:15 PM
I cant find that pack for xbox on gamestop. I might just puck up 1 and 2 then B and R when the price drops
I think it's only available from Futureshop.

Phenom2321
03-19-2012, 01:20 AM
@Saint

Yeah i.will probably buy 1 and 2 and if i really like that ill pick up B and R.

I had 1 for ps3 but i rarely play it so thats why i never finished.

Now i just need to get the hell outof this hospital

JumpInTheFire13
03-19-2012, 01:28 AM
@Saint

Yeah i.will probably buy 1 and 2 and if i really like that ill pick up B and R.

I had 1 for ps3 but i rarely play it so thats why i never finished.

Now i just need to get the hell outof this hospital
If you don't mind me asking, what did you do to get tin the hospital?

Phenom2321
03-19-2012, 02:22 AM
If you don't mind me asking, what did you do to get tin the hospital?

Spontaneous pneumothorax. In lay mans terms, collapsed lung. Second one in a month. Happened last monday so ive been for a week.

Had i side tube put in. Then surgery on friday got off the side tube suction ob sunday morning then.had to go on tonight because i still have a little air in there. Hopefully out on tuesday.

Sorry for.the spelling and grammar, cellphone and pain meds dont mix.

smengler
03-19-2012, 02:44 AM
I've got a friend who had his lung collapse twice in one week. We call him one-lung now. Don't tell anyone that name, you don't want it to stick.

The summer before Revelations came out, I decided that I wanted to buy it, but had never played the previous games. I asked on this forum what I should do, and got the same response that you're getting. I played AC1, then AC2, then ACB before ACR came out. Sure you can read about the stories on the internet, but they are some of the best games made that you really don't want to miss. I think all of us here wish we were in the same boat as you. We've got nothing to do but wait for AC3. You've got months to have the whole AC experience. You don't want to play AC3, then decide to replay the older ones, since they won't be very exciting then. You should definitely play them, and if you only play through the story, it won't take very long at all.

JumpInTheFire13
03-19-2012, 05:13 AM
Spontaneous pneumothorax. In lay mans terms, collapsed lung. Second one in a month. Happened last monday so ive been for a week.

Had i side tube put in. Then surgery on friday got off the side tube suction ob sunday morning then.had to go on tonight because i still have a little air in there. Hopefully out on tuesday.

Sorry for.the spelling and grammar, cellphone and pain meds dont mix.

That sucks man. I hope you have a quick and successful recovery! And I lol'd at the last part.

edzilla_551
03-19-2012, 05:21 AM
I recommend you play all of them just in case you ask stupid questions about the story on the forums.:)

JumpInTheFire13
03-19-2012, 05:25 AM
I recommend you play all of them just in case you ask stupid questions about the story on the forums.:)
True that

pirate1802
03-19-2012, 10:09 AM
I advise you to play through all the games. People often claim they understand the story after playing through one of them without playing through the previous ones, but then they come up with stuff like SPOILER saying Ubi F-ed up on the apple, saying that it couldn't be at 2 places at the same time, while there is actually more than one (which really should have been more than obvious after AC1).

LOL I remember that guy :P

frogger504
03-19-2012, 10:10 AM
If you have a PC wait for the next sale, just a few weeks ago you could get all AC games including all DLC and Extra Bonuses for under 60 dollars.

LightRey
03-19-2012, 11:08 AM
LOL I remember that guy :P
Sadly he wasn't the only one though. -__-

frigabond
03-19-2012, 12:53 PM
I remember that too...

A pack circling to beat the guy with his mistaken ignorance.

A proud day for the forum was it not?

LightRey
03-19-2012, 12:56 PM
I remember that too...

A pack circling to beat the guy with his mistaken ignorance.

A proud day for the forum was it not?
Wth is "mistaken" ignorance?

frigabond
03-19-2012, 01:05 PM
His ignorance was taken for granted by some, mistakenly in my opinion. As a result his treatment was harsh as I saw it.
The forum is better than that. That's all I am saying.

LightRey
03-19-2012, 01:09 PM
His ignorance was taken for granted by some, mistakenly in my opinion. As a result his treatment was harsh as I saw it.
The forum is better than that. That's all I am saying.
"His ignorance was taken for granted"? What? You're saying we should appreciate people's ignorance more?

frigabond
03-19-2012, 01:23 PM
I think I was clear enough and I have no intention of derailing a thread. Back on topic.

I'm not certain but haven't the developers said something along the lines of ' they want you to be able to play this without having previous ac experience'?
Of course the experience would be better for it though. There are an awful lot of twists in the series.

D.I.D.
03-19-2012, 03:33 PM
If you have a PC wait for the next sale, just a few weeks ago you could get all AC games including all DLC and Extra Bonuses for under 60 dollars.

No need to wait, depending on where people live and whether they really need to have every scrap of DLC.

Amazon UK prices (new, free postage):

AC1 - 4.79
AC2 - 4.97 (GOTY version inc. all DLC - very good extras)
ACB - 7.99 (with The Da Vinci Disappearance as standard but without all DLC unlocks. The extra DLC - one hidden tomb, one mining colony - was barely playable with mouse/keyboard anyway due to directional issues, and it is all on the disc IF YOU GET MY DRIFT)
ACR - 14.99 (without DLC, but since that was MP and 1 hour of the largely unpopular FP memories you won't necessarily miss it)

I'm guessing quite a few other countries would have similar prices too.

Phenom2321
03-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Thanks guys, i had a minor setback so im looking at a wednesday discharge.

Any recommendations of the dlc? Is it good, is there a lot or any that i should really get?

SixKeys
03-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Thanks guys, i had a minor setback so im looking at a wednesday discharge.

Any recommendations of the dlc? Is it good, is there a lot or any that i should really get?

ACB's DLC is pretty good (The Da Vinci Disappearance). On PC you get it for free on Uplay, not sure about consoles. It's a nice expansion for the single player campaign (1-2 hours) and comes with some extra characters and maps for the multiplayer if I'm not mistaken.

The DLC on Revelations is skippable. All of it. Unless you really enjoy the Desmond platforming missions in the main campaign, you're better off just watching The Lost Archive on YouTube. The other ones are just multiplayer add-ons and the MP on Revelations is so glitchy it's almost unplayable, so it's not really worth the money IMO.

Phenom2321
03-19-2012, 09:54 PM
ACB's DLC is pretty good (The Da Vinci Disappearance). On PC you get it for free on Uplay, not sure about consoles. It's a nice expansion for the single player campaign (1-2 hours) and comes with some extra characters and maps for the multiplayer if I'm not mistaken.

The DLC on Revelations is skippable. All of it. Unless you really enjoy the Desmond platforming missions in the main campaign, you're better off just watching The Lost Archive on YouTube. The other ones are just multiplayer add-ons and the MP on Revelations is so glitchy it's almost unplayable, so it's not really worth the money IMO.

So any for 1 and 2?

LightRey
03-19-2012, 09:57 PM
So any for 1 and 2?
ACII has sequences 12 and 13 as DLC's, but I'm pretty sure they come with the game if you buy the PC version.

JumpInTheFire13
03-19-2012, 11:26 PM
And AC1 has no DLC.

SixKeys
03-19-2012, 11:34 PM
And AC1 has no DLC.

...Although there is a "Director's Cut" of the game which includes 3 types of extra missions (rooftop race, archer assassination and merchant stand destruction, I think) that weren't in the original game. Not exactly DLC but if you want more bang for your buck, I would recommend buying this version to lengthen the playtime. It shouldn't be (much) more expensive than the original since both games are already from 2007, I got mine for 10 euros.

JumpInTheFire13
03-21-2012, 11:15 PM
...Although there is a "Director's Cut" of the game which includes 3 types of extra missions (rooftop race, archer assassination and merchant stand destruction, I think) that weren't in the original game. Not exactly DLC but if you want more bang for your buck, I would recommend buying this version to lengthen the playtime. It shouldn't be (much) more expensive than the original since both games are already from 2007, I got mine for 10 euros.
I'll see if I can find it then.

*EDIT* I think it's only available on PC.