View Full Version : Voice Actor Recycling

JumpInTheFire13
03-17-2012, 06:03 PM
An interesting video I found on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=N1KU6wLlEFA
Is Ubisoft being a tad lazy?

D.I.D.
03-17-2012, 06:08 PM
I can't tell if all of them are cases of the same voice actors or not. If they are, can't say I've noticed, or that it matters to me.

Sometimes the reuse of faces gets a bit weird, like that thief in Brotherhood who Ezio recognises from the siege at the beginning of the game. You see that same bald man with his scars and eye patch all the way through Brotherhood, even after that important scene. I can understand reusing other faces, but his should have been unique.

Jexx21
03-17-2012, 06:10 PM
That's not being lazy, that's saving money.

pacmanate
03-17-2012, 06:27 PM
Its hardly laziness. Its like saying COD got lazy with using the same voice actor for Gaz and Ghost... oh wait bad example

Tetsou88
03-17-2012, 07:09 PM
It's alot better than Bethesda games. In Assassin's Creed, I hardly notice it, in Skyrim, Fall Out 3, and Oblivion I hear the same voices everywhere.

Dejan507
03-17-2012, 07:20 PM
I noitice the same actors ALL the time in 2 and brotherhood. They especially over done Cesare voice actor, he gave the voice to Francesco de Pazzi, someone who made that video was wrong about him (the guy who was about to jump of a building)

kriegerdesgottes
03-17-2012, 07:23 PM
That's not laziness at all. Almost every medium does that including pretty much every single animated show. You know how many voices Billy West and John Demaggio do on Futurama or how many voices Dan Castellanetta does on the Simpsons?

frogger504
03-17-2012, 07:29 PM
That's not being lazy, that's saving money.

This.
Also, what's wrong with being lazy?

As for the main topic, many things that involve voice acting use the same person for like 3-5 roles

Heck, there are hundreds if not thousands of characters in the AC series, do you really think they'd get thousands of people and spend all that money on voice actors?

SixKeys
03-17-2012, 07:38 PM
I was recently replaying AC2 and noticed for the first time that Francesco de Pazzi and Cesare Borgia had the same voice. Prince Suleiman is voiced by the voice actor of Malik and Leonardo da Vinci by the same guy who voices the bureau leader in Damascus. In ACR some of your female recruits are voiced by the actress who voiced the beggars in Acre in AC1. It's the only recycled voice that bugs me because it just reminds me of those horrid, annoying hags. :|

JumpInTheFire13
03-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Anybody watch Family Guy?

rileypoole1234
03-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Nolan North played the Penguin and like 50 thugs in Batman Arkham city. Every game does it.

deskpe
03-17-2012, 08:37 PM
I hadnt notice so its fine by me. id want mroe variety in the random crowd chatter.

animated shows like simpsons and family guy is a diferent case in my opinion, yes same actors on multiple voices but they are always quite exagerated and ...cartoony

The case with assassins creed is that the voice actor is so.. forgettable and bland that u dont notice its the same. in fallout and skyrim the voices are too unique so eharign them over and over is very obvious

notafanboy
03-17-2012, 09:41 PM
fun fact: the guy who does the voice of Ezio´s brother and Ugo(Hugo?) in ACII also voices Adam in deus ex:HR

Tetsou88
03-17-2012, 09:50 PM
Steve Blum from Cowboy Bebop plays several voices in several games.

pacmanate
03-17-2012, 11:53 PM
It's alot better than Bethesda games. In Assassin's Creed, I hardly notice it, in Skyrim, Fall Out 3, and Oblivion I hear the same voices everywhere.

Hahaha omg thats so true. Skyrim had bloomin loads of recycling! Its like they had 3 voice actors for the whole game!

Ayush_S92
03-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Well, that's the point of being a voice 'actor' you know. So that they can act out different voices for different roles. That's what they get paid for.

If every voice actor used the same voice for every role they played, then the companies might as well use any random person to do it.

Kit572
03-18-2012, 07:36 AM
If you think Ubisoft is being lazy then you obviously haven't heard about bethesda...

JumpInTheFire13
03-18-2012, 07:38 AM
I never stated that Ubisoft is being lazy. Look at my post. There is definitely a question mark there.

Kit572
03-18-2012, 07:41 AM
I never stated that Ubisoft is being lazy. Look at my post. There is definitely a question mark there.

true,

but bethesda does have a history of recycling voice actors all the time.

InfectedNation
03-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Bethesda was just taking the P*ss with Skyrim.
However I would love it if they used Roger Craig Smith (Ezio) for a brief cameo in AC3, would be funny if he played a very minor italian role.

JCearlyyears
03-18-2012, 03:15 PM
The guy who plays Leonardo, Carlos Ferro I think, is also Dom Santiago in gears of war. I only hate when I kill someone, and three girls, all with the same VA yell out the same thing, creating an annoying echo.

jmk1999
03-18-2012, 04:32 PM
not uncommon in games and animated media. it's just that it's more noticeable in some stuff. for example, i'm playing EA's reckoning: kingdoms of amalur... greg ellis plays like 20 million different characters. on the other hand, bioware's dragon age series (another EA game) does this, but they're a bit more diverse so it's less noticeable... oh and they also have greg ellis... that's how i recognized him so easily in reckoning.:rolleyes:

LightRey
03-18-2012, 06:19 PM
It's completely normal and to be expected, especially in a game series that has that much voice acting to begin with.

JumpInTheFire13
03-18-2012, 07:32 PM
However I would love it if they used Roger Craig Smith (Ezio) for a brief cameo in AC3, would be funny if he played a very minor italian role.
Or if Connor has a sister who has an Italian boyfriend with the same voice as Douchio.

Farlander1991
03-18-2012, 11:24 PM
Or if Connor has a sister who has an Italian boyfriend with the same voice as Douchio.

... And we beat the **** out of him :D The dynasty of bastards who got the **** out of them beaten.

There should be a spin-off. Duccio's Legacy. We go around and beat up Duccio's descendants in different time periods.

JumpInTheFire13
03-19-2012, 05:23 AM
... And we beat the **** out of him :D The dynasty of bastards who got the **** out of them beaten.

There should be a spin-off. Duccio's Legacy. We go around and beat up Duccio's descendants in different time periods.
Hahaha yes!

frogger504
03-19-2012, 05:43 AM

YES!

I loved that you could beat him up in every city xD

JumpInTheFire13
03-19-2012, 06:23 AM
I wonder what ever happened to that bastardo

frogger504
03-19-2012, 07:08 AM

Apparently, if you didn't already kill him, he dies like a year after Ezio leaves Constantinople. Not a dollar to his name, Ezio stole his last Acke.

playassassins1
03-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Duccio got bitten by a dog and later died because that dog infected him.

pirate1802
03-19-2012, 10:30 AM
We go around and beat up Duccio's descendants in different time periods.

ROFLMAO! What I wouldn't give to do that! Had so much fun in finding and beating him in ACR.

Apparently, if you didn't already kill him, he dies like a year after Ezio leaves Constantinople. Not a dollar to his name, Ezio stole his last Acke.

Thats what I did, bastardo was stumbling around a well, drunk. I beat the hell out of him, stole all his money and donated them to the beggars. i also tried throwing him in the well, but it didn't work out :/ xD

LightRey
03-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Duccio got bitten by a dog and later died because that dog infected him.

No he (most likely) died of rabies. It is not specified how he got it.

SixKeys
03-19-2012, 05:10 PM
ROFLMAO! What I wouldn't give to do that! Had so much fun in finding and beating him in ACR.

Thats what I did, bastardo was stumbling around a well, drunk. I beat the hell out of him, stole all his money and donated them to the beggars. i also tried throwing him in the well, but it didn't work out :/ xD

Wow, I never even thought about doing all that. I just beat him up and left him there. (After the first time when I accidentally killed him because I didn't realize who he was. Then he mysteriously resurrected 10 minutes later.) I'm definitely going to do that on my next playthrough of ACR. :D

Jexx21
03-19-2012, 09:16 PM

Oblivion was a lot worse than Skyrim regarding VAs..