PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed

Cadleigh
03-15-2012, 02:33 PM
I was really hoping the new AC wouldn't be set at the time of the American Revolution. I have Native American blood in my family. Our Cherokee ancestors were ethnically cleansed from their farms and villages as a direct result of the outcome of the American War of Independence, which had a little to do with democracy and a lot more to do with the desire of the colonists to expand westwards into Native American territory against the wishes of the colonial administration. I know Native Americans fought on both sides in that conflict, but in the end they lost out big time; I am not looking forward to seeing the new assassin going round slaughtering Redcoats and betraying his own people in the process. Ubisoft did such an amazing job with the first two Ezio outings, which were astonishingly faithful to real history. It went badly wrong with the last episode, which portrayed another people who'd recently been ethnically cleansed (the Greeks of Byzantium) as villains with secret armies in Capadoccia and control of whole districts of Istanbul 50 years after they'd been expelled from all but a few remnants of the city they'd built and lived in for two thousand years. I know you have to bend the facts sometimes to tell a good story, but this is two false turns in a row. I do hope the new AC finds baddies on both sides and my fears turn out to be misplaced.

misterB2001
03-15-2012, 03:05 PM
How do you know the details of the story. How do you know he betrays anyone?

Cadleigh
03-15-2012, 03:16 PM
I don't know anything about the story - but going by the ad and the pre-publicity it looks safe to assume that the Redcoats are the Templars (no doubt there will be Colonial Militia who will also need killing at some point, and a Benedict Arnold style senior Templar in the Revolutionary ranks, but mostly gameplayers will be executing Redcoats). We are also promised first hand sight of events like Paul Revere's ride and the Battle of Bunker Hill, so unless these things are going to happen in the background while our assassin gets his groceries, I am assuming that he will be helping the Revolutionaries to achieve their objectives. Which, knowing how things turned out, means he will not be acting in the long-term interests of his Native American cousins.

pacmanate
03-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Well don't play the game then?

misterB2001
03-15-2012, 03:23 PM
......or you saw a tiny portion of a huge game and formed an opinion without all the facts. There has already been confimation that he will be assassinating targets on both sides.

AdamXEve
03-15-2012, 04:55 PM
I was really hoping the new AC wouldn't be set at the time of the American Revolution. I have Native American blood in my family. Our Cherokee ancestors were ethnically cleansed from their farms and villages as a direct result of the outcome of the American War of Independence, which had a little to do with democracy and a lot more to do with the desire of the colonists to expand westwards into Native American territory against the wishes of the colonial administration. I know Native Americans fought on both sides in that conflict, but in the end they lost out big time; I am not looking forward to seeing the new assassin going round slaughtering Redcoats and betraying his own people in the process. Ubisoft did such an amazing job with the first two Ezio outings, which were astonishingly faithful to real history. It went badly wrong with the last episode, which portrayed another people who'd recently been ethnically cleansed (the Greeks of Byzantium) as villains with secret armies in Capadoccia and control of whole districts of Istanbul 50 years after they'd been expelled from all but a few remnants of the city they'd built and lived in for two thousand years. I know you have to bend the facts sometimes to tell a good story, but this is two false turns in a row. I do hope the new AC finds baddies on both sides and my fears turn out to be misplaced.

I really don't understand where this idea that Connor and the Assassins are automatically going to be loyal to the colonists is coming from. I think of AC1 where Altair killed both Christian and Saracen depending on if they were or not involved with the Knights Templar.

What's great about Ubisoft is that being Canadian really gives them the ability to be neutral. LOL. - Obviously, I'm being slightly facetious, but honestly, Ubisoft has never once in these games taken the side of one ideology over the other and I doubt they'd start now.

pirate1802
03-15-2012, 05:05 PM

Wasn't the main antagonist of ACR an Ottoman or am I hallucinating?

freddie_1897
03-15-2012, 05:18 PM
just to clear up any problems you might have with them over doing the stereotypes of native american people...http://www.inentertainment.co.uk/20120315/assassins-creed-3-reaching-goals-not-mistakes/ look at the fourth paragraph down

notafanboy
03-15-2012, 05:31 PM
How do you know the details of the story. How do you know he betrays anyone?

i dunno, maybe we can ask him if we can borrow his time machine

Poodle_of_Doom
03-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Anyone else getting tired of these uber zealouts crying foul before they even have a clue?

TheSpong
03-15-2012, 06:00 PM
^And you have more of a clue to be able to call them out, do you? Any discussion, positive or negative, is all valid at the moment until the facts are known.

On a sidenote, seeing as Cadleigh is a new member, how do you think you make this board and its community appear when you act like that?

frogger504
03-15-2012, 06:11 PM
......or you saw a tiny portion of a huge game and formed an opinion without all the facts. There has already been confimation that he will be assassinating targets on both sides.

Why is it that people that compliment the game can have opinions about it from advertisements, which is what shows how the game will [likely] be, but people that don't like it, can't form their opinions or form criticisms without being pelted with negative comments.

The advertisements at this point are the only things that actually show how a game is going to be, while Ubi has said what they have, what they have shown, shows otherwise. I agree with the OP on that. It does seem to be heading in a nearly one sided direction at this point. I personally hope it won't be lopsided like 19 Templars on the British side, and 1 on the American side, I'm personally keeping my hopes up but honestly, each advertisement turns me away a bit as they keep making it seem like if that's how it would be.

Also, the GI article talked about the story and it makes it seem as that's how it will be. It's true, we don't know anything for sure yet, but from we do know, is what we can speculate from. Why can't someone form a negative opinion/speculation on it? OP has as much right to speculate it's going to go wrong as anyone else has to say it is going to go good.

FilipinoNinja67
03-15-2012, 06:27 PM
Because people compliment the parts that they actually see in the trailer, Oh look, there will be new awesome fighting! Oh look, free running on trees! Oh look, animals! Oh look, America!

Negative feedback thus far: oh look, we will only be killing british people. Oh look, we will betray the native americans. Oh look, we will be killing flying unicorns that spray mayonaise out of their unihorns.

I think that people dont like the negative comments because it seems like people are just pulling it straight out of their arses.

FilipinoNinja67
03-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Anyone else getting tired of these uber zealouts crying foul before they even have a clue?

*reads uk trailer comments on youtube* Nope! :D *posts america is awesome* im not a youtube troll...

frogger504
03-15-2012, 06:38 PM
Because people compliment the parts that they actually see in the trailer, Oh look, there will be new awesome fighting! Oh look, free running on trees! Oh look, animals! Oh look, America!

Negative feedback thus far: oh look, we will only be killing british people. Oh look, we will betray the native americans. Oh look, we will be killing flying unicorns that spray mayonaise out of their unihorns.

I think that people dont like the negative comments because it seems like people are just pulling it straight out of their arses.

Well yes, those are the complaints, before I continue, I will have to ask you elaborate on: "pulling it out of their arses". What do you mean by that?

FilipinoNinja67
03-15-2012, 06:48 PM
I mean making **** up. Arse is another word for **** oops i mean *** because thats the polite way to say it...

People just presume random things that they have no information on. Where does it say that connor will never help the natives? ( i believe it says that he is a freedom fighter that helps those that have been wronged) Or kill redcoats only? Well the redcoats i could kind of understand why they would think that from the trailer.

Edit: the making **** up is just part of the joke, pulling whatever out of their arses so please dont take that offensively.

Assassin_M
03-15-2012, 06:51 PM
This complaint has no base what so ever, other than a well over 30 second commercial...
before you people start ranting about America, read the Game Informer article which explicitly says "There will be Templars on both sides of this conflict"
The Revolution is just another cover for the war between the Assassins and Templars
Just like the Third Crusade, Altair didnt take sides, there were Templars on both sides of the Conflict..

frogger504
03-15-2012, 06:52 PM
I mean making **** up. Arse is another word for **** oops i mean *** because thats the polite way to say it...

People just presume random things that they have no information on. Where does it say that connor will never help the natives? ( i believe it says that he is a freedom fighter that helps those that have been wronged) Or kill redcoats only? Well the redcoats i could kind of understand why they would think that from the trailer.

It's called speculation based on the evidence we have been shown. Why is it so bad fr someone to speculate negatively? It is OPs speculation and as much truth as any other speculation about AC3.

Everybody is making stuff up, until we get the gam in October that's all there will be, speculation.

LightRey
03-15-2012, 06:59 PM
It's called speculation based on the evidence we have been shown. Why is it so bad fr someone to speculate negatively? It is OPs speculation and as much truth as any other speculation about AC3.

Everybody is making stuff up, until we get the gam in October that's all there will be, speculation.
Please don't compare this crap to our theories.

Assassin_M
03-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Indeed..

frogger504
03-15-2012, 07:05 PM

Why not?
Based on what we have seen, this theory is every bit as possible as your own. Just because it isn't praising the game and it's makers doesn't mean it doesn't have a leg to stand on.

i personally trust Ubi. Montreal to be honest to history but from what we have seen, it indicates otherwise, thereofore the OPs theory.

Assassin_M
03-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Why not?
Based on what we have seen, this theory is every bit as possible as your own. Just because it isn't praising the game and it's makers doesn't mean it doesn't have a leg to stand on.

i personally trust Ubi. Montreal to be honest to history but from what we have seen, it indicates otherwise, thereofore the OPs theory.
Whats his theory exactly ?

LightRey
03-15-2012, 07:08 PM
Why not?

Unlike this entire thread my theory is actually constructive and allows for open discussion on what may come. It helps people, including myself, understand what's going on in the story. Also, my theory isn't a giant repost.

Assassin_M
03-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Unlike this entire thread my theory is actually constructive and allows for open discussion on what may come. It helps people, including myself, understand what's going on in the story. Also, my theory isn't a giant repost.
Come on, can this thread be considered a Theory ? no..
A theory is basically this..
"There is this and there is that and that mixed with some of those, so I think .. this"
See ? This, that and those..
not only a 30 second commercial that has a song called "America"

frogger504
03-15-2012, 07:18 PM
"Everyone has a right to free speech... unless they disagree with you"

That's the vibe you two are giving off.

Assassin_M
03-15-2012, 07:21 PM

I dont Disagree with him..
This "Theory" is not making sense, thats all..

Poodle_of_Doom
03-15-2012, 07:30 PM
^And you have more of a clue to be able to call them out, do you? Any discussion, positive or negative, is all valid at the moment until the facts are known.

On a sidenote, seeing as Cadleigh is a new member, how do you think you make this board and its community appear when you act like that?

Um,... yeah I actually do. I don't speculate on crap, and more importantly, not on crap that won't actually be in the game (because what you see in the trailers rarely does). Not to mention that when I critique something, I base my opinions of fact, and not speculation, which automatically gives my opinions more validity than yours. As for how he feels about the forum, I'd guess probably the same as me when I first joined. Either conform to the norm, or get out.

Why is it that people that compliment the game can have opinions about it from advertisements, which is what shows how the game will [likely] be, but people that don't like it, can't form their opinions or form criticisms without being pelted with negative comments.

The advertisements at this point are the only things that actually show how a game is going to be, while Ubi has said what they have, what they have shown, shows otherwise. I agree with the OP on that. It does seem to be heading in a nearly one sided direction at this point. I personally hope it won't be lopsided like 19 Templars on the British side, and 1 on the American side, I'm personally keeping my hopes up but honestly, each advertisement turns me away a bit as they keep making it seem like if that's how it would be.

Also, the GI article talked about the story and it makes it seem as that's how it will be. It's true, we don't know anything for sure yet, but from we do know, is what we can speculate from. Why can't someone form a negative opinion/speculation on it? OP has as much right to speculate it's going to go wrong as anyone else has to say it is going to go good.

Elaborating on what Assassin_M and LightRey said, it basically amounts to something contructive based on previous knowledge encounterd first hand, instead of 30 seconds of complete bull**** that probably won't make it into the game.

pacmanate
03-15-2012, 07:32 PM
AMERICA

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/u/us.gif

frogger504
03-15-2012, 07:38 PM
I dont Disagree with him..
This "Theory" is not making sense, thats all..

It does make sense based on what we have seen. While I personally think that Ubisoft will not make it one sided, here is what we have seen.

Conner is allied with Washington and will take part in many Revolutionary Events
Despite his people being killed and his village being destroyed by the Colonists, he will be at the very least, an ally to them.
The American Flag is all over the cover and things related to him
He is only seen killing Redcoats
The game's slogan is "Ignite a Revolution"
We hear Washington's Conquer or Die speech in the official trailer
We hear America the Beautiful in another trailer

There are many things pointing to the game being one sided, while I don't think it will be, by what we have seen, it isn't a far-fetched idea that it will be. Based on that, it could be figured that he would "betray" the Natives, by siding with their enemy.

Lonesoldier2012
03-15-2012, 07:38 PM

Yeah. why are all these 12 year olds allowed to go into their basements?

LightRey
03-15-2012, 07:54 PM

We have the right to dislike what he's saying and the fact that he's saying it. Especially if he's breaking forum rules in doing so.

FilipinoNinja67
03-15-2012, 08:15 PM
H
Why not?

A theory needs supporting evidence to be considered a theory. I cant go around saying i found out how to make gold from bellyasston lint without having evidence. Now with the positive feedbacks again, the awesome fighting system being there is a theory (weapons however since we dont know all of them are mostly speculation). Making a theory saying we will be killing only redcoats (then raging) from a video is stupid. We will be able to kill redcoats but its never said or shown that we will kill ONLY redcoats or that the redcoats are the ONLY templars. Now where does it say that Connor specificaly will betray natives by helping a side?

pacmanate
03-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Oh **** I forgot this game was supposed to be really accurate historical and I forgot that it can give people bad names and I ALSO FORGOT

no one cares.

LightRey
03-15-2012, 08:42 PM
H

A theory needs supporting evidence to be considered a theory. I cant go around saying i found out how to make gold from bellyasston lint without having evidence. Now with the positive feedbacks again, the awesome fighting system being there is a theory (weapons however since we dont know all of them are mostly speculation). Making a theory saying we will be killing only redcoats (then raging) from a video is stupid. We will be able to kill redcoats but its never said or shown that we will kill ONLY redcoats or that the redcoats are the ONLY templars. Now where does it say that Connor specificaly will betray natives by helping a side?
Well technically a theory doesn't need supporting evidence to be a valid theory, but if it has little or nothing of it then it's not exactly the best theory out there. For example, I could present the theory that the universe is completely random and that everything that happens or even just is, is pure coincidence. It is a valid theory, but it is also quite a worthless one as it can neither be proven nor disproved.

The OP is obviously making ridiculous claims based on what little information has become available to us. Moreover, I would say the previous installments suggest for the story to develop in quite a different way than the OP predicts.

insult
speculation
false
other

I would also like to point out that in ACR the Byzantines weren't "the Greeks" of Constantinople in general. As you should have noticed by playing the game, the Byzantines were Templars who favored the previous regime of the Byzantine Empire. They were not all Greek and there were more than enough Greeks in Constantinople in the game that did not favor the Byzantines. Also, though it was not actually carried out by people who favored the Byzantine regime, the Shahkulu Rebellion was an actual historical event.

Jexx21
03-15-2012, 09:06 PM
To be honest, I trust the words of the developers more than the videos of the marketing department.

So... yea.

rileypoole1234
03-15-2012, 09:12 PM

Yes. Extremely. Just trust Ubi, and all will be well.

Brownsnakeeyes
03-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Yes. Extremely. Just trust Ubi, and all will be well.

Not to agree with anyone but I think the setting is a great one. I just hope the finished product will be as good as what I'm being told. That is all.

LightRey
03-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Not to agree with anyone but I think the setting is a great one. I just hope the finished product will be as good as what I'm being told. That is all.
You're not being told anything other than what will actually be in there. Everything else is just your imagination running wild, which is usually what leads to disappointment.

ElusiveShadow78
03-15-2012, 10:23 PM
So let me get this right...a lot of you are upset that this is in America, and it shows colonists fighting a war to become independent of the British empire. Thing is? This actually happened. You might not like it. You might not like America. You will however, have to deal with this though because this is where the game takes place, and this is how it all went down.

I wonder though, if you people are so anti-American or whatnot, does crying about this fact make you any better? You don't like the setting, so you claim it's propaganda and jingoism. Or that Assassins don't choose sides. You can say anything you want to spin your argument. You complaining about something you don't like doesn't make it right though. You guys are also the minority. The vast many of us are eagerly awaiting this game.

Funny though, never heard one complaint when it was an Italian character carving up all sorts of people and cultures for 3 games, while the first game had Christians and Saracens being put down. Nope, not a peep then.

Assassin_M
03-15-2012, 11:46 PM
So let me get this right...a lot of you are upset that this is in America, and it shows colonists fighting a war to become independent of the British empire. Thing is? This actually happened. You might not like it. You might not like America. You will however, have to deal with this though because this is where the game takes place, and this is how it all went down.

I wonder though, if you people are so anti-American or whatnot, does crying about this fact make you any better? You don't like the setting, so you claim it's propaganda and jingoism. Or that Assassins don't choose sides. You can say anything you want to spin your argument. You complaining about something you don't like doesn't make it right though. You guys are also the minority. The vast many of us are eagerly awaiting this game.

Funny though, never heard one complaint when it was an Italian character carving up all sorts of people and cultures for 3 games, while the first game had Christians and Saracens being put down. Nope, not a peep then.
Not to mention Red Dead Redemption that had an American kill hundreds of Mexicans..
No one complained either..

Tetsou88
03-16-2012, 01:19 AM
I really don't understand where this idea that Connor and the Assassins are automatically going to be loyal to the colonists is coming from. I think of AC1 where Altair killed both Christian and Saracen depending on if they were or not involved with the Knights Templar.

What's great about Ubisoft is that being Canadian really gives them the ability to be neutral. LOL. - Obviously, I'm being slightly facetious, but honestly, Ubisoft has never once in these games taken the side of one ideology over the other and I doubt they'd start now.

Ubisoft as a whole is French, Ubisoft Montreal is Canadian. It's nitpicking but, so what :P.

Calvarok
03-16-2012, 01:28 AM
Everyone he ever knew was killed by American colonists when he was a kid. Remember that.

Assassin_M
03-16-2012, 01:39 AM
Everyone he ever knew was killed by American colonists when he was a kid. Remember that.
Perhaps, but lets not forget that its been stated that he`s not out for personal revenge per say, but rather justice..
so its revenge against Injustice..

Poodle_of_Doom
03-16-2012, 01:47 AM

So let me get this right,.. it's just a game, and anyone who gets pissed off at a virtual world is welcome to blow it out their ears? Right... seems like I have enough backing on that fact.

LightRey
03-16-2012, 02:00 AM
Perhaps, but lets not forget that its been stated that he`s not out for personal revenge per say, but rather justice..
so its revenge against Injustice..
Still. The fact that he's motivated by a sense of justice should be a comforting thought for those that fear US favoritism.

Tetsou88
03-16-2012, 02:37 AM
Here is a quote from the Game Informer article:

"I think there's an over-idealized notion of the founding fathers and the American side of the war, in general. It's more nuanced, These were not super-perfect divine beings,' says writer Corey may. "They were very human. A lot of them had rather fundamental flaws, and I think when we whitewash our history we do a disservice to everyone."

Assassin_M
03-16-2012, 02:39 AM
OHHHHHH Thank you !!!

Tetsou88
03-16-2012, 02:52 AM
OHHHHHH Thank you !!!

There is also a picture of Charles Lee in a blue coat grabbing a young Connor by the throat, which proves that some of the blue coats will be bad guys.

This issue of Game Informer is really good and has me excited.

Poodle_of_Doom
03-16-2012, 03:12 AM

Well,.. that just settles it then. No one has any right to get all sorts of pissy like they have been.

rileypoole1234
03-16-2012, 03:15 AM
OHHHHHH Thank you !!!

Everything in that GI article is great. If you don't have it, you should try and find a copy.

ElusiveShadow78
03-16-2012, 04:30 AM
Yes, thanks for that GI article link. Hopefully that opens some people's eyes about all of this.

Is it just that some people are resistant to change? As in, no matter where the series shifted to, there'd be naysayers. I say this because I really find it interesting that people would be that up in arms about an American themed AC game. For me personally, I'm a fan of the game, so I'd play it no matter where we end up going. It's an engaging story, and one that's sort of unique in the video game world. Also, to think that Ubi would somehow now go against everything they've previously released is sort of ridiculous and short-sighted.

It's only March.

More details will come, as the game isn't coming until October. Please try to remember this. We've had one trailer, and one commercial. There will be more info, folks. ;)

iNEEDSmeINSIDES
03-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Cadleigh, like a lot of people have formed an opinion of ACIII based on the imagery they have seen which does currently paint the good/evil balance a little one sided:, they might not have read the articles. So instead of jumping down people's throats why not be more constructive and welcoming and point them to articles where it elaborates on the details/information in order to better inform.

I do realise not everyone in this thread has acted like an idiot.

Mr_Shade
03-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Guys,

We do have a few threads about this subject, so please attempt to at least find a ongoing thread before starting new ones on the same subject.

Locking thread.