PDA

View Full Version : Gun burst duration timing

gothkrieger
03-14-2012, 12:43 AM
As we all know no matter how fast we pull the trigger there is an interval of MG or Cannon fire. Does anyone know what length of time is modeled into the sim?

x6BL_Brando
03-15-2012, 02:26 AM
As we all know no matter how fast we pull the trigger there is an interval of MG or Cannon fire. Does anyone know what length of time is modeled into the sim?

Good question. No more than half-a-second's worth would be my guess. A light touch on the tit will fire a single round from the nose-mounted cannon in the P39, whereas it would elicit two from each Hispano Suiza in a cannon-mounted Hurri or Spit. A tad more from a Browning or a Vickers.

Choctaw111
03-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Here is something I thought of that may get you the answer you are looking for.
Start a mission on an airfield. Without even running your engine, see how many times you can do a "quick burst" till you run out of ammo.
Divide the number of bullets in the belt by the number of quick bursts. I am guessing that your findings will be very accurate.

Luno13
03-17-2012, 07:39 PM
That might take a while. Instead, do what Choctaw mentioned, but only once. Then look at the stats pages (it will show how many rounds were fired). Repeat a few times to see if you get the same number each time.

gothkrieger
03-18-2012, 05:40 AM
Luno13 good idea and this is the results.

After a short series of tests I have interesting results.
Did the Quick Mission Builder, chose Bf109 F-4, 1941 with the MG151-20mm cannon for the press test.
Using the backspace key to fire cannon, so I could be quick and fire cannon only I got my results by going to the stats screen afterwards. As quick a press as I could accomplish resulted in the in game sound of several rounds fired but a 1 round count. 2 quick taps resulted in a consistent 3 round count. A one-one thousand count press resulted in a consistent 6 round count. So you can’t go by the sound of the gunfire to determine the volume of fire, it is not matched to the actual round count in flight. This affects my game play because I was going by what sounded like a volume of fire exiting the guns when in fact only a very few rounds left the gun. This will now result in longer trigger presses in the future considering the Germans determined that it took four 20mm rounds to bring down a fighter and at least eighteen rounds to bring down a bomber. More if it was a larger solid bomber like a B17. So with that a one-one thousand, two-one thousand, three-one thousand, count of continuous fire should be needed to down a B17 (assuming your rounds hit the target) Now it does not mean that we have not seen wings fall off with shorter bursts but that should be the exception rather than the rule I would hope.

Tully__
03-18-2012, 06:30 AM
... considering the Germans determined that it took four 20mm rounds to bring down a fighter and at least eighteen rounds to bring down a bomber. More if it was a larger solid bomber like a B17...
Was that rounds fired or actual hits?

gothkrieger
03-18-2012, 07:26 AM
Here is the quote from the article, it was on the MG151-20 cannon:

"The new 20 mm shell was relatively effective against enemy aircraft, with the possible exception of heavily built bombers such as the B-17 Flying Fortress or Avro Lancaster. German statistics data showed that on average the 151/20 required an average of 25 hits to down a B-17, while 18-20 hits were required to down other 4-engine bomber types, and only four hits were required to down a single-engine fighter."

So it is HITS.

Luno13
03-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Interesting results, thanks for doing this! :) This probably stems from the fact that Il-2 (and all games) loops a sound file, and it can't just terminate that before the loop has finished.

An average of 4 rounds seems reasonable. I imagine lucky shots could bring this to one, of course.

gothkrieger
03-18-2012, 07:57 PM
The “loops a sound file” makes perfect sense and I never considered that.

Choctaw111
03-19-2012, 08:54 PM
That might take a while. Instead, do what Choctaw mentioned, but only once. Then look at the stats pages (it will show how many rounds were fired). Repeat a few times to see if you get the same number each time.

That's a great idea. It's been so long since I've flown Il2 seriously that I forgot all about the stats. Aren't the stats for online play only though?

Luno13
03-19-2012, 10:43 PM
DT configured a stats page in the QMB for offline use. :cool: It's useful to check your firing accuracy mostly, and isn't really good for bragging rights. However, I will say that I do shoot much better offline than online. ;)

Tully__
03-19-2012, 11:38 PM
Also, some of the 3rd party utilities allowed you to check stats. Sturmolog was one, until support was discontinued. They've always been there but you had to trawl through log files to find them in game versions that didn't have a 3rd party utility available. Good on DT for building it in :)

Erkki_M
03-30-2012, 06:53 AM
You could... Use the >user username STAT command to check how many rounds you've fired.

OR

Simply view your plane from exterior views and count the falling cases. ;)