PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 3 will be affected by changing seasons

JamieSI
03-13-2012, 09:25 AM
http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/17031/assassins-creed-3-will-be-affected-by-changing-seasons

n Assassin's Creed 3 players will have to deal with the changing of the seasons, as regions will have to deal with the heat of summer and the bitter cold of 1770's Colonial America, UbiSoft has revealed.

eagleforlife1
03-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Here's the original article:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/03/12/the-world-of-assassin-s-creed-iii.aspx

freddie_1897
03-13-2012, 06:34 PM
yes, I'm really looking forward to seasons, I'm hoping they'll have festivals as well
P.S. does anyone know how long the seasons are around that area?

TorQue1988
03-13-2012, 07:13 PM
yes, I'm really looking forward to seasons, I'm hoping they'll have festivals as well
P.S. does anyone know how long the seasons are around that area?
The seasons are most likely scripted and change with the progression of the main story.

Steww-
03-13-2012, 07:17 PM
What about after you complete the main story? Will it be a random season each time you load the game?

TorQue1988
03-13-2012, 07:22 PM
What about after you complete the main story? Will it be a random season each time you load the game?
I'm really curious about this as well, but i'm confident they will give us some sort of option to change the seasons at will after the main story, just like in Mafia 2.

Poodle_of_Doom
03-13-2012, 07:49 PM
I haven't read the articles, and probibly should have. Do you know if the seasons will affect the game play? I.E., Branches are covered in ice, and slippery, in the winter?

TorQue1988
03-13-2012, 08:05 PM
I haven't read the articles, and probibly should have. Do you know if the seasons will affect the game play? I.E., Branches are covered in ice, and slippery, in the winter?
Yes they will. Enemies will have difficulty traversing snow covered terrains, lakes will freeze giving the player new ways of traversing the world. Don't know about the frozen branches though.

pacmanate
03-13-2012, 08:14 PM
Yes they will. Enemies will have difficulty traversing snow covered terrains, lakes will freeze giving the player new ways of traversing the world. Don't know about the frozen branches though.

I don't think they will be frozen as for something to freeze there will need to be water. I think like in the trailer it will just be snow covered branches.

Keighvin
03-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Yes but if there is a thaw and then a freeze you've got icy branches.

pacmanate
03-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Yes but if there is a thaw and then a freeze you've got icy branches.

Don't think that will happen considering its summer/winter months not shortly after winter months

twenty_glyphs
03-13-2012, 10:25 PM

I wonder about this too. Also with the fact that the world is supposed to change over time as you play, such as a fourth of New York City being destroyed by the Great Fire of 1776, and I'm hoping they're going to come up with an even more robust memory replay feature. You can see a tad of this in the replay feature of Revelations, where the lighthouse in Constantinople is present when replaying a memory before the end of Sequence 6, and destroyed afterwards. The Revelations system lets you load up the city as it exists at the time of a memory (including guard presence, like more or fewer Janissaries being around) and then ignore the memory start marker and roam around the city.

AC3 might also feature a guard presence that changes over time, such as Boston being occupied by the British during 1775 and 1776 before being driven out. It's possible that AC3 will do more of this, so if you want to visit New York City before the Great Fire, you'd fire up a memory that takes place there from an earlier chapter. Want to visit Boston while it's occupied, you load a memory from that time period. I hope the system is a little more robust than that, letting us load up the locations and time periods/seasons we want a little more conveniently than trying to remember what those places were like during different DNA sequences. I'm interested in how they handle this, but I would think it will keep the rules of the Animus in mind somehow.

JumpInTheFire13
03-13-2012, 10:50 PM
I wonder about this too. Also with the fact that the world is supposed to change over time as you play, such as a fourth of New York City being destroyed by the Great Fire of 1776, and I'm hoping they're going to come up with an even more robust memory replay feature. You can see a tad of this in the replay feature of Revelations, where the lighthouse in Constantinople is present when replaying a memory before the end of Sequence 6, and destroyed afterwards. The Revelations system lets you load up the city as it exists at the time of a memory (including guard presence, like more or fewer Janissaries being around) and then ignore the memory start marker and roam around the city.

AC3 might also feature a guard presence that changes over time, such as Boston being occupied by the British during 1775 and 1776 before being driven out. It's possible that AC3 will do more of this, so if you want to visit New York City before the Great Fire, you'd fire up a memory that takes place there from an earlier chapter. Want to visit Boston while it's occupied, you load a memory from that time period. I hope the system is a little more robust than that, letting us load up the locations and time periods/seasons we want a little more conveniently than trying to remember what those places were like during different DNA sequences. I'm interested in how they handle this, but I would think it will keep the rules of the Animus in mind somehow.

I think they will find an easier way to let us go to different time periods throughout the game. Like you said, having to replay a certain memory is inconvenient, and I think there'd be many people who would never even figure that you can do this.

Revelations seems like it was sort of a testing ground for certain features of AC3.

Keighvin
03-13-2012, 11:32 PM
pacmanate, who said anything about after winter? I don't know where you live, but many places don't have unrelenting cold the entire winter from start to finish. Many places, especially during early winter, have a freeze/thaw cycle before a more constant temperature sets in.

JumpInTheFire13
03-14-2012, 12:03 AM
pacmanate, who said anything about after winter? I don't know where you live, but many places don't have unrelenting cold the entire winter from start to finish. Many places, especially during early winter, have a freeze/thaw cycle before a more constant temperature sets in.
I live in western Canada and it's like this.

pacmanate
03-14-2012, 09:31 AM
Yeah but they said Summer and Winter cycles which I think just means two variations of the whole world. If they had an "ice" version of the world that would be 3 variations of the world they would have to make, just for the sake of Ice

Keighvin
03-14-2012, 09:38 AM
O.O
This conversation stemmed from a comment about the possibility of there being ice on branches in winter. I am just saying that, since the transitions are likely to be story based, there is no reason there wouldn't be ice on branches due to a common process found during wintertime.

Poodle_of_Doom
03-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Yeah but they said Summer and Winter cycles which I think just means two variations of the whole world. If they had an "ice" version of the world that would be 3 variations of the world they would have to make, just for the sake of Ice

You realize they don't have to recreate the entire world right? They just have to code a script for it,...