PDA

View Full Version : Hutchinson has the right ideas, makes me optimistic!

Sushiglutton
03-12-2012, 08:42 PM
I must say after reading and listening to interviews the last couple of weeks I'm very pleased with what the creative director for AC3, Alex Hutchinson, has said. First in this interview (http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/03/05/meet-the-new-creative-director-for-assassin-39-s-creed-iii.aspx) he says the two main things he wanted to focus on improving are 1) a more open game structure and 2) the combat mechanics.

I think that's really spot on. I love to explore in AC games. Just parkouring around these beautiful worlds is awesome. But after a while you notice that there are not a whole lot of meaningful things to do outside the missions. Adding interesting gameplay that you can just sort of discover sounds great to me. It will make the world come alive and add quality game time.

Secondly the combat. It has been the weak part of the franchise since the beginning. For each game they have just kept adding stuff to an allready broken system. Rebuiling it from scratch is the only way at this point. It sound to me like they have taken inspiration from the Arkham franchise (what is called "momentum" in AC is called "freeflow" in Arkham. Also AC3 introduces the same ****on for counter and blocking, just as Arkham is designed). I think that's a great place to start and then of course Ubi should put their own twist on it.

In his speech at GDC Hutchinson (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-09-assassins-creed-3-will-be-back-to-basics) said that "the game aims to strip back the ballooning complexity of the series' mechanics and story.".

Once again I think he's putting his finger on one of AC's biggest problems. Ubi has just kept adding stuff, without proper quality control. Revelations had a ton of different systems and you barely had time to use them before the game was all over. And many of the mechanics were real weak (tower defense, FPPuzzles etc). Re-focusing the franchise and improving the core mechanics is really the way to go and I much appreciate that's the route Hutchinson seems to be taking.

Of course it's one thing to figure out the weaknesses and a more difficult task to actually solve them. But so far the direction and focus that Hutchinson has makes me real optimistic for this to be one of the greatest games of all times :cool:!

Sushiglutton
03-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Lol I can't write b-u-t-t-o-n without being censored :).

eagleforlife1
03-12-2012, 08:44 PM
I agree with you. I have been very impressed with him.

freddie_1897
03-12-2012, 09:16 PM
i think he seems not only able, but like a nice person as well, the kind of person who has some really good ideas. I also heard that he reads the forums, so if so ... Alex, please may i 'test' Ac3 for you? just to make sure its working well! pretty please?:rolleyes:

JCearlyyears
03-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Less complex story?! it's already not complex enough!

ToniTorsi
03-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Ubisoft Montreal has always got the right ideas eversince AC1.

They started off with a loud bang in AC2...but after Brotherhhod had its retail release....everything began to be questionable.

The Call of Duty rehash effect, started becoming more noticeable. And everything would have continued to go downhill after Revelations if they hadn't been developing ACIII for 3 years to sharpen up their skills and fix what went wrong.

Like I said, they've always had the right core ideas....but bad execution.

All they had to do was take inspiration from successful Open World / Free Roam games and they were set.

For example......Red Dead Redemption, my goodness :eek: . This game speaks for itself. Basically everyone in the Ubisoft Forums worships this game extraordinarily because Rockstar hit the nail with that IP. They got so many things right. The terrain, the realism, the characters, the animal ecosystem, the random NPC encounters, the blatant HUGE MAPS, the horses, the physiscs, the fantastic animations, etc.

I dare say RDR was a head of its time....for a 2010 game.

And SKYRIM!?!? You don't want to me to get started on that. Another benchmark achievement for Open World games. (despite its flaws)

The Assassins Creed franchise has always had the most potential out of RDR and Skyrim, because it has the gameplay mechanics to fall back on. And among many other things that I can't think of right now, Im sure makes them special from the competition, but more importantly its gameplay mechanics is a huge highlight as it is the one thing Rockstar and Bethesda mainly forgot to implement to their games to make it engaging and incredibly satisfactory. Instead they relied on other factors.

Thats why like, 99% of AC fans are hoping Montreal takes legit inspiration from these guys because if they do...if they open Pandora's box with ACIII....we will be treated with the perfect Open World game to date, that Bethesda and Rockstar failed to deliver.

Either way, somebody is going to get it right eventually. Especially with new consoles coming out soon. But I rather Montreal do it, because they are the closest developers that can achieve that level superiority at the moment. They only have to add the right lethal factors to make this IP blossom. And voila.

They are so close, perhaps they don't even know it.

But thats why we fans are here. :o

Jexx21
03-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Red Dead Redemption won't be a great game for me until the release it for the PC.

notafanboy
03-12-2012, 11:35 PM
Red Dead Redemption won't be a great game for me until the release it for the PC.

you havenīt played RDR ?, i ... wtf... i donīt even...

LightRey
03-12-2012, 11:37 PM
He's a PC gamer.

Not that I've played it.

matheus_737
03-12-2012, 11:57 PM
I feel he's a good guy want to change somethings, add other elements and with the help of Corey May i'm sure an good game is coming

Apirka
03-13-2012, 12:51 AM

Eh, I never played it either. Never sounded interesting enough to get it :|

I agree that Hutchinson has some good ideas and most of what I've heard about AC3 sounds pretty good. I do hope the new controls and the new battle system are better than the old ones. Especially the controls, I hate AC's controls. If they want combat to be fluid they better make fluid controls.

JumpInTheFire13
03-13-2012, 05:10 AM
The first time I ever played Arkham Asylum I thought to myself "this type of combat in AC would be absolutely incredible." Hopefully...

RDR is one of the best games I have ever played. Loved every minute of it.

pirate1802
03-13-2012, 05:30 AM

I haven't played it too. Don't have a console.. >_>

JumpInTheFire13
03-13-2012, 05:36 AM
So you haven't played Uncharted or inFamous either?!

Jamison_J_B
03-13-2012, 05:39 AM
So you haven't played Uncharted or inFamous either?!

I agree RDR is a good game, I also love uncharted. I never cared for infamous though.

pirate1802
03-13-2012, 05:53 AM
Nope, didn't play any console exclusive :l