PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the Mentor of the Assassins in AC3?

eagleforlife1
03-12-2012, 08:55 AM
My guess is Joseph Brant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Brant

LightRey
03-12-2012, 09:03 AM
I doubt the Mentor will be Native American. Connor is not born into the order and the GI articles speak of the Assassin Order as an order from across the ocean (from Connor's perspective obviously).

Calvarok
03-12-2012, 09:19 AM
I think it's been clarified that in the times when communication was still pretty slow, the Assassin order did not have on single all-ruling Mentor. Mentor means master of your region, not the whole order. So there would be a mentor for America, or perhaps even separate parts of it. I see no reason that mentor couldn't be Native American. The Assassins have made it a point to send agents to the new world since Ezio's time, so for all we know, the first native assassin could have been welcomed into the order as far back as the 1600s. This game takes place several hundred years later. Don't be surprised if there are significant amounts of natives within the Assassin ranks.

LightRey
03-12-2012, 09:43 AM
I think it's been clarified that in the times when communication was still pretty slow, the Assassin order did not have on single all-ruling Mentor. Mentor means master of your region, not the whole order. So there would be a mentor for America, or perhaps even separate parts of it. I see no reason that mentor couldn't be Native American. The Assassins have made it a point to send agents to the new world since Ezio's time, so for all we know, the first native assassin could have been welcomed into the order as far back as the 1600s. This game takes place several hundred years later. Don't be surprised if there are significant amounts of natives within the Assassin ranks.
Calvarok, that's the title of Grand Master you're talking about. The title of Mentor was still (sortof) unique. According to your logic Yusuf was a Mentor, which he wasn't.

Calvarok
03-12-2012, 09:59 AM
You're right, technically Yusuf would have been the defacto leader, because he was only a master assassin. But actually, in Ezio's order, there could be more than one mentor. We just don't have any knowledge of people who attained that rank in that time. But really, the person managing a region is supposed to be the mentor, and it's only if they don't have a mentor in that region that a non mentor would take that spot. But yeah, not until more modern times did both the Templars and Assassins operate under the guidance of only one main leader.

frogger504
03-12-2012, 10:19 AM
I say Benjamin Franklin or Thomas Jefferson

LightRey
03-12-2012, 12:05 PM
You're right, technically Yusuf would have been the defacto leader, because he was only a master assassin. But actually, in Ezio's order, there could be more than one mentor. We just don't have any knowledge of people who attained that rank in that time. But really, the person managing a region is supposed to be the mentor, and it's only if they don't have a mentor in that region that a non mentor would take that spot. But yeah, not until more modern times did both the Templars and Assassins operate under the guidance of only one main leader.
No he's not. A mentor isn't a manager of a region. A mentor is someone who recruits and trains a large following of Assassins. Yusuf was just the Grand Master of the order in Constantinople, but certainly more than a de facto leader.

blazefp
03-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Is "de facto" an english word? Cuz it shows those red dashes in word but google translator says it exists. I'm confused cuz that's a portuguese word.

Now on topic, I don't think we're gonna meet the Mentor. Either Connor will become the Mentor or we won't get to know him, after all there's just 1 Mentor.

LightRey
03-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Is "de facto" an english word? Cuz it shows those red dashes in word but google translator says it exists. I'm confused cuz that's a portuguese word.

Now on topic, I don't think we're gonna meet the Mentor. Either Connor will become the Mentor or we won't get to know him, after all there's just 1 Mentor.

De facto is taken from Latin.

blazefp
03-12-2012, 01:50 PM
De facto is taken from Latin.

I know, actually the expression "in fact" is directly taken form the expression "de facto". But is it a "natural" (sort of since it's taken from Latin) English word?

LightRey
03-12-2012, 01:54 PM
I know, actually the expression "in fact" is directly taken form the expression "de facto". But is it a "natural" (sort of since it's taken from Latin) English word?

well it's obviously not one word, but it's basically part of the English language, yes.

blazefp
03-12-2012, 01:57 PM
well it's obviously not one word, but it's basically part of the English language, yes.

Didn't know it. I'm always learning with AC xD

Acrimonious_Nin
03-12-2012, 02:54 PM
the mentor is obviously great grampa shakhulu the 4th who turned assassins in the early 18th century to get payback on the templars for betraying his people....

LightRey
03-12-2012, 05:05 PM
the mentor is obviously great grampa shakhulu the 4th who turned assassins in the early 18th century to get payback on the templars for betraying his people....

*zombie great grampa shakhulu

brick177
03-12-2012, 06:08 PM
I'm guessing it might one or many of the notable members of the Sons of Liberty. The organization that did the Boston Tea Party and other notable acts against the East India Company.

John Adams -lawyer, Massachusetts
Samuel Adams -political writer, tax collector/ fire warden, Boston
Benedict Arnold -businessman, Norwich
Benjamin Edes -journalist/publisher Boston Gazette, Boston
John Han**** -merchant/smuggler/fire warden, Boston
Patrick Henry -lawyer/fire warden Virginia
John Lamb -trader, New York City
William Mackay -merchant, Boston
Alexander McDougall -captain of privateers, New York City
James Otis -lawyer, Massachusetts
Paul Revere -silversmith, Boston
Benjamin Rush -physician, Philadelphia
Isaac Sears -captain of privateers, New York City
Haym Solomon -financial broker, New York and Philadelphia
Charles Thomson -tutor/secretary, Kentucky
Joseph Warren -doctor/soldier, Boston
Thomas Young -doctor, Boston
Marinus Willett -cabinetmaker/soldier, New York
Oliver Wolcott -lawyer, Connecticut

eagleforlife1
03-12-2012, 06:16 PM
^Do you not think that we will be assassinating Joseph Warren then?

brick177
03-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Who knows. Just saying the Sons of Liberty make a good front for the Assassins in America, just like the East India Trading Company makes a good front for the Templars.

I would guess Paul Revere or Sam Adams might be the leader.

Or, Patrick Henry, who I believe went on to Paris after the American Revolution and stirred things up for the French Revolution too. He was a career rabble rouser.

freddie_1897
03-12-2012, 09:20 PM
isn't it more likely to be someone no-one's heard of? i mean benajamin franklin and people could be assassins but wouldn't it be more likely that the mentor will be less well known?

sticks165
03-12-2012, 09:30 PM
i was gonna say uncle sam

LightRey
03-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Chuck Norris.

GunnarGunderson
03-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Hopefully a completely original character, I'm tired of every supporting character being real

Acrimonious_Nin
03-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Arnold swartzenheimah

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnGRF2_9f_awj-6h1aSO030R_-U7lgUdaMTJ5zU5amrdUv-0utOQ
after graduating from college :D

brick177
03-13-2012, 01:00 AM
Hopefully a completely original character, I'm tired of every supporting character being real

The point of the franchise is to nestle into the historical record, I think you'll be disappointed.

LightRey
03-13-2012, 01:12 AM
The point of the franchise is to nestle into the historical record, I think you'll be disappointed.
Indeed.