PDA

View Full Version : Do you want an AC set in Federation Sydney?

Jayden26
03-10-2012, 03:23 AM
Hey guys let me know if you would want to play an assassin in Sydney during Federation?

Vex_Assassin
03-10-2012, 03:28 AM
In my opinion, they are other locations that are much more appealing like the French Revolution, Victorian London or Ancient Egypt.

Jayden26
03-10-2012, 03:32 AM
Yes they are all good. But the game developers also stated they don't want to do an era or city that has been overdone. Which in my opinion there are plenty of games and movies set in Victorian England, and i think the mummies of Egypt is a little over done as well.
French revolution would be fun and I can't recall many games or movies being set there.
But the same can be said for Sydney.

tarrero
03-10-2012, 03:53 AM
In my opinion, they are other locations that are much more appealing like the French Revolution, Victorian London or Ancient Egypt.
This

And as told you before, Sidney is a beautiful city, and Australia the same, BUT I think there are more "strong" options in terms of historical "fame"

I do apologize for this, but I dont see what point are trying to prove, imagine, since there are people here from literally ALL the world, if all of us post why our country could host a AC game....
It wont NEVER end......

Jayden26
03-10-2012, 03:58 AM
I understand what you're saying, but tell me one game that is set in Sydney?
There aren't any which is what I'm getting at. It's underused and since the game developers have told us they want fresh settings. Why not??

SixKeys
03-10-2012, 04:04 AM
I understand what you're saying, but tell me one game that is set in Sydney?
There aren't any which is what I'm getting at. It's underused and since the game developers have told us they want fresh settings. Why not??

Not sure about Sydney specifically, there are a few set in Australia though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_games_set_in_Australia

The point isn't to simply go to locations that haven't been used that much, they also need to be intriguing and immersive historically and gameplay-wise. There aren't that many games set in Iceland either and there's a reason for that. Not that I have anything against Iceland, mind you, it's just not as exciting as a historical location as a few others.

Jayden26
03-10-2012, 04:11 AM
Not sure about Sydney specifically, there are a few set in Australia though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_games_set_in_Australia

The point isn't to simply go to locations that haven't been used that much, they also need to be intriguing and immersive historically and gameplay-wise. There aren't that many games set in Iceland either and there's a reason for that. Not that I have anything against Iceland, mind you, it's just not as exciting as a historical location as a few others.

This is a post I sent to someone earlier.

So does that mean Australia can have its own AC set there?
1. The Federation Period (1890 - 1910) was a period of great social, industrial, and cultural change.
2.Either Sydney or Melbourne both have their unique feel, and different styles.
3.Some Australian secret societies include; Ordo Templi Orientis
Australian Freemasons
The Active Service Brigade
As well as some Chinese secret societies
4. During the Federation Period, several states such as WA attempted to remain seperate from the Federation movement which led to considerable conflict. As well as in Queensland, where civil war was virtually being fought by armed unions against government forces.
5. Firearms (such as Bayonets) were most definately owned by a large majority of the Australian population at the time.
6. The cities of Australia during the Federation Period definately had some beautiful buildings that could rival those in London.
http://www.dictionaryofsydney.org/item/18515
http://www.flickr.com/photos/flying_cloud/600793148/
http://www.dictionaryofsydney.org/item/21072
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vi..._Melbourne.jpg
http://www.onlymelbourne.com.au/melb...ils.php?id=774
http://changyang1230.blogspot.com.au...-building.html
By the time the Federation Period began, Sydney already had a vast underground of tunnels and fortifications.
7. Before the Federation Period, cities such as Sydney and Melbourne already had a history dating back over 120+ years, as well as having been occupied by local Aboriginal people for thousands of years prior to the first fleet.
8.It also fogs regularly.

tarrero
03-10-2012, 04:24 AM
WW2 is overused, cold war is overused, Edo period and its ninjas are oveused, Australia DEFINITELY NOT falls into that category, I dont know why you insist on this, I never said Sidney is such thing as "overused".

I said, even though I told you, because thats what I think, that Sidney is a pretty cool city ,but I do believe there are other locations whose history is more "attractive" to the general public, because they have a little bit more knowledge about it, such as American, French, or Russian Revolution, Victorian England, or some of these locations http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-28-ubisoft-survey-public-on-future-assassins-creed-locations

Imagine if all us try to convince others why our country or city, could host an AC.......

You have posted those links several times already.....

kiaski07
03-10-2012, 04:30 AM
It won't happen... The average consumer has no idea wtf Federation Sydney is. Also Desmond is an American; the story can't just splinter off into Australia just for the hell of it

SixKeys
03-10-2012, 04:34 AM
So does that mean Australia can have its own AC set there?
1. The Federation Period (1890 - 1910) was a period of great social, industrial, and cultural change.

Every country has had its share of great social, industrial and cultural changes. It still doesn't mean it'll necessary be interesting to a large enough audience to market a game like AC.

5. Firearms (such as Bayonets) were most definately owned by a large majority of the Australian population at the time.

That's not exactly an advantage. Most people are already worried about the American revolution as a setting precisely because they don't like the idea of guns taking over in an AC game.

6. The cities of Australia during the Federation Period definately had some beautiful buildings that could rival those in London.

Location should be secondary, story comes first. It's no use telling me you have lots of beautiful buildings because, again, every country has its share of those. What matters is whether you can give our hero a good reason to visit those locations. Iceland has volcanoes, that's something fairly unique. I still wouldn't set AC there unless there was a compelling plot that required our assassin to climb up some volcanoes.

7. Before the Federation Period, cities such as Sydney and Melbourne already had a history dating back over 120+ years, as well as having been occupied by local Aboriginal people for thousands of years prior to the first fleet.

120 years really isn't very long. It's just enough to span the lives of two grandfathers, or more like one and a half actually. And nothing against the aboriginals, but I don't really see how an AC game would work with just aboriginals. No large, sprawling cities to play in and none of the political intrigue and bloodshed that unfortunately follows wherever the white man goes.

8.It also fogs regularly.

So what? :confused:

Jayden26
03-10-2012, 04:35 AM
I'm talking about a future AC, not one with Desmond as his last game will be AC 3.
Not everyone knows about the American revolution, or the events of other past AC games either yet they all played them. So why would it be so hard for non-Australians to play in a Australian setting?
This doesn't even seem like a real forum. Everyone just says how bad it would be in Sydney, and that Australia has no history.
It's okay if its set anywhere in the world it seems, just not Australia. No game is set in Australia, it's like you have something against us.

tarrero
03-10-2012, 04:52 AM
Dude!

Sidney is a PRETTY cool city, in fact, I dont think that an AC game there would be bad game, it is just that outside Australia, it was NOT very much of a big deal, just like alot of things that happened to the many different countries from which MANY of us are, and that NONE besides you, at least right now, is trying to prove, or whinning about.....

The Crusades lasted for centuries, but mostly, both Renassaince and American revolution, in fact CHANGED the world.......

BTW AC/DC, although repetitive, is one of my favorite bands EVER, and Heath Ledger is the best joker, Are you happy now?

I dont hate Australia,I think is a pretty cool country with tons of exotic stuff, but facts, are facts.....

SixKeys
03-10-2012, 05:02 AM
I'm talking about a future AC, not one with Desmond as his last game will be AC 3.
Not everyone knows about the American revolution, or the events of other past AC games either yet they all played them. So why would it be so hard for non-Australians to play in a Australian setting?
This doesn't even seem like a real forum. Everyone just says how bad it would be in Sydney, and that Australia has no history.
It's okay if its set anywhere in the world it seems, just not Australia. No game is set in Australia, it's like you have something against us.

I just posted a link earlier detailing several games that take place in Australia. Nobody has said they hate Australia or that Australia has no history, just that there are lots of other locations whose history is better known, appealing to a larger audience and more fascinating from a political standpoint. At this point I think you're either trolling or simply not bothering to read any of our replies.

Ultim4teSurviv4
03-10-2012, 05:09 AM
I don't see the point in arguing with you as there is already a post made by you earlier in which several people have explained why it would not be a realistic goal. If you don't want to listen or even try to understand other peoples opinion then don't ask and stop making this so personal.

Jayden26
03-10-2012, 05:24 AM
I just posted a link earlier detailing several games that take place in Australia. Nobody has said they hate Australia or that Australia has no history, just that there are lots of other locations whose history is better known, appealing to a larger audience and more fascinating from a political standpoint. At this point I think you're either trolling or simply not bothering to read any of our replies.

Nothing.
I just don't understand why Australia is ignored by everyone else.
I mean people still think we are all like crocdile dundee. NO Australian is like that, it seems the only time the world gives us any attention is when they want to bag us out.
All i suggested was a city where an AC could take place. But nooo, everyone would rather play as Spanish conquistadors in America? I mean come on?

Jayden26
03-10-2012, 05:25 AM
I never said YOU hated Australia, I said there is a stigma about anything Australian with the rest of the world. A negative stigma at that.

Jexx21
03-10-2012, 05:28 AM
I would like it.

Jayden26
03-10-2012, 05:29 AM
Thankyou Jexx at least someone will agree with me.

Jexx21
03-10-2012, 05:33 AM
I think we should have an AC for every major area.

We have North America with AC3, we have Europe and the Middle east covered with the other 4 games. Now we just need Far East Asia (China or Japan), India, Africa (Egypt), Australia (Sydney), Russia (Moscow!), and South America (Aztec/Maya?).

If we return to Europe, I wouldn't mind Greece though.

Ultim4teSurviv4
03-10-2012, 05:34 AM
It's not that no one agrees with you, I mean yes Sydney is a great looking place to set an AC game. I just think what people are trying to tell you is that there is also a lot of nice places around the world that also have historic significance. And as many people pointed out there are hundreds of other places that don't have games set in their country

Jexx21
03-10-2012, 05:39 AM
To be honest, I would rather not go to Victorian London, or Egypt, or Japan at the moment, as they seem very very popular, too popular in fact. I would rather touch on a place like Moscow. The French revolution would be fine though, as while it may be popular among these boards, it doesn't seem to be something the hoi polloi are interested in.

But I think that the French Revolution will be the setting for the PS Vita game, where the protagonist will be Connor and it'll continue his adventures.

tarrero
03-10-2012, 05:47 AM
Nothing.
I just don't understand why Australia is ignored by everyone else.
I mean people still think we are all like crocdile dundee. NO Australian is like that, it seems the only time the world gives us any attention is when they want to bag us out.
All i suggested was a city where an AC could take place. But nooo, everyone would rather play as Spanish conquistadors in America? I mean come on?

If that game ever happens, I dont think see the Spanish to being the "good guys", I am from that country, I know how much did the natives suffered because the lust for GOLD of Pizarro and CortÚs, in the name of the Kings and God,just like many other "conquers" in history: Roman Empire, Spanish Empireetc etc. In fact, I would completely understard it, unlike some british troll who was crying about AC3 trailer....

And being honest, withoug having anything against Australia as I said, that is one of the most "important" events in history, the one that to many scholars, ended the middle ages. Which if you ask me, is much more known that Federation Sydney for instance, or to ANY other Spanish period as well.....

Jayden26
03-10-2012, 01:14 PM
If that game ever happens, I dont think see the Spanish to being the "good guys", I am from that country, I know how much did the natives suffered because the lust for GOLD of Pizarro and CortÚs, in the name of the Kings and God,just like many other "conquers" in history: Roman Empire, Spanish Empireetc etc. In fact, I would completely understard it, unlike some british troll who was crying about AC3 trailer....

And being honest, withoug having anything against Australia as I said, that is one of the most "important" events in history, the one that to many scholars, ended the middle ages. Which if you ask me, is much more known that Federation Sydney for instance, or to ANY other Spanish period as well.....

Okay I agree with you there.
To be honest the place I want the series to go more than anywhere else is the Russian Revolution in 1917 (i think), that would be an amazing era especially since there were so many assassinations back then.
I only wanted an Australian version because I feel we're not represented at all compared to other countries of our stature. Even in Vietnam war games, as the only ally who fought with the US there we still aren't even worth a mention.

GeneralTrumbo
03-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Here is Sydney in the 1700s. If we were to get a game with this, it would involve a lot of use of trees it seems like.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3245/3028968403_430e8ba17f.jpg

LightRey
03-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Here is Sydney in the 1700s. If we were to get a game with this, it would involve a lot of use of trees it seems like.

Which may not be a bad thing. Though I'd like to see at least some relatively densely populated areas.

TheSpectator
03-10-2012, 02:37 PM

By 1900 Sydney began looking a lot more like London at the time with larger buildings like the QVB http://www.qvb.com.au/History-of-QVB (http://www.qvb.com.au/History-of-QVB) having finished construction in the late 19th century. It'd make for a cool synchronization :)

Jayden26
03-10-2012, 02:50 PM
Just remember that was in the 1700s.
The Federation Period is between 1890 - 1910 well after the 18th Century so you could imagine how much it would have developed in that time.
This should give you an idea of how far it came.
http://www.dictionaryofsydney.org/item/21072

KrYpToNiC95
03-10-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm from Sydney myself, and I'm glad they are steering clear of here. The architecture and history is plain boring besides some buildings. Stick to other locations.

GeneralTrumbo
03-10-2012, 05:39 PM
By 1900 Sydney began looking a lot more like London at the time with larger buildings like the QVBhttp://www.qvb.com.au/History-of-QVB having finished construction in the late 19th century. It'd make for a cool synchronization :)
Yes, but entering the 19th century would mean they would have to include cars, etc. for an accurate depiction of the place at that time period.

GeneralTrumbo
03-10-2012, 05:40 PM
I'm from Sydney myself, and I'm glad they are steering clear of here. The architecture and history is plain boring besides some buildings. Stick to other locations.
That is what people said about America, but we are coming to find out that isn't true.

GeneralTrumbo
03-10-2012, 05:50 PM

Not many significant games, though. Even the significant ones aren't accurately depicted. I mean, who in their right mind would say Crash Bandicoot accurately depicts Australia? Command and Conquer doesn't put you right down in the action and gives you the creative freedom to explore the places close-up, either.

KrYpToNiC95
03-11-2012, 01:12 AM
That is what people said about America, but we are coming to find out that isn't true.

There's a big difference with America though. Im not a racist but It is much more fun to learn about American Indians than it i to learn about Aboriginals. They had great battles which the Aboriginals and English didn't have in Australia. There were larger cities and more of them in America. Also you had the war of Independence where you actually had 2 proper enemies fighting each other. The American Indians at least had some sort of technology, the Aboriginals were still predominantly in the Stone Age. And besides the landscape in America is far more vast and interesting, Australia has mostly boring and arid landscape.

Jayden26
03-11-2012, 02:46 AM
There's a big difference with America though. Im not a racist but It is much more fun to learn about American Indians than it i to learn about Aboriginals. They had great battles which the Aboriginals and English didn't have in Australia. There were larger cities and more of them in America. Also you had the war of Independence where you actually had 2 proper enemies fighting each other. The American Indians at least had some sort of technology, the Aboriginals were still predominantly in the Stone Age. And besides the landscape in America is far more vast and interesting, Australia has mostly boring and arid landscape.

The Federation Period has nothing to do with Aboriginals. Majority if not all of the Australian Frontier Wars were over by 1890.
An AC set in Australia would most likely be placed around the time of Federation (1890 - 1910), which has plenty of historical figures to play with from Edmund Barton, all the way to Mary Mackillop. You also realise Australia had its own conflicts at that time as well? Queensland was in perpetual civil war fighting off an armed band of unions, whilst the federative council was desperately trying to unite the fledgling colonies. WA attempted to remain seperate, as well as issues between Queen Victoria and the constitution. There were without a doubt assassinations during this time, Sir Henry Parkes (mysteriously) died just a few years before Federation on 1st of January 1901.
You might think the Australian landscape is uninspiring, but to many people around the world it is very attractive.

frogger504
03-11-2012, 02:55 AM
How about one in my City?! I would love to climb my own house in game and then climb up there in real life and squeal about how im there as the Assassin and in real life.

I'm sure I can find an Essay worth of history to make it eligible.

pirate1802
03-11-2012, 03:45 AM
How about one in my City?! I would love to climb my own house in game and then climb up there in real life and squeal about how im there as the Assassin and in real life.

I'm sure I can find an Essay worth of history to make it eligible.

Yeah I'd like that too, my house is an awesome setting for an AC.

xsatanicjokerx
03-11-2012, 04:52 AM
Sydney? as in Australia? Other that Ned Kelly who is there worth having?

Jayden26
03-11-2012, 05:19 AM
Sydney? as in Australia? Other that Ned Kelly who is there worth having?

Ned Kelly died in 1888.
He lived during the Bushranger Era.

We're talking about the Federation Period which was in 1890 - 1910.
Some people from this time include;
Mary Mackillop
Sir Edmund Barton
Sir Henry Parkes
Banjo Patterson
Alfred Deakin
Andrew Clark
And many more.

Jayden26
03-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Actually I don't live in Sydney.

cooperm002
11-21-2012, 07:08 AM
Hey guys let me know if you would want to play an assassin in Sydney during Federation?

Are you talking about Air Conditioning Sydney (http://www.northernbeachesair.com.au/) ? :confused:

Jayden26
11-21-2012, 09:09 AM
Are you talking about Air Conditioning Sydney (http://www.northernbeachesair.com.au/) ? :confused:

Do you know how long ago this thread ended?

pirate1802
11-21-2012, 09:14 AM
lol