PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft may have missed a great opportunity...

Mr_Stunner
03-09-2012, 11:38 PM
I think Ubisoft lost a great opportunity to tell a more detailed subject 16's story in a game.
After Desmond's story is finished on AC III, they could realease in 2013 or 2014 an entire AC game about subject 16, where we would get more in depth on his story, and using the Animus to relive Adam's life, in order to get new details about the origin of humanity and about TWCB...
Even after this DLC would you buy a game like this one?

pacmanate
03-09-2012, 11:42 PM
I kinda agree with you, all of the mystery that I had in AC1 about who is subject sixteen got more exciting in AC2, then dropped for brotherhood, and then he kinda just came out of nowhere in revelations and didnt even have a big impact on me

GeneralTrumbo
03-09-2012, 11:46 PM
I think they will miss a great opportunity with this game. I don't have much hope that they will end Desmond's last game right. They are going to listen to the people complaining about Desmond gameplay and end up giving him less ​gameplay than before.

pacmanate
03-09-2012, 11:49 PM
Well if its Desmond gameplay in desmonds last game then we should play as 3rd person Desmond! I just remembered the only time we got to play as him properly was in AC2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jexx21
03-09-2012, 11:51 PM
I kinda agree with you, all of the mystery that I had in AC1 about who is subject sixteen got more exciting in AC2, then dropped for brotherhood, and then he kinda just came out of nowhere in revelations and didnt even have a big impact on me

How'd it drop for Brotherhood? if anything I was more excited because of the shadow copy.

GeneralTrumbo
03-09-2012, 11:51 PM
Well if its Desmond gameplay in desmonds last game then we should play as 3rd person Desmond! I just remembered the only time we got to play as him properly was in AC2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Exactly. Instead of taking away his gameplay, they should refine and add upon it.

pacmanate
03-09-2012, 11:54 PM
How'd it drop for Brotherhood? if anything I was more excited because of the shadow copy.

It just didn't feel as exciting for me :\. Actually using the hidden blade, fist fighting guards when breaking out of abstergo, parkouring around the warehouse. I found that stuff more entertaining than just constantly platforming around putting batteries into stuff. The Colosseum thing was cool but I still liked AC2's variation

Mr_Stunner
03-10-2012, 12:49 AM
Would be very well played an Assassin's Creed: Subject 16 and even a Assassin's Creed: Subject 4. I would definetly buy those two spin offs, playing with Adam and Nikolai Orelov would be interesting

dxsxhxcx
03-10-2012, 01:04 AM
well, he has different ancestors than Desmond that we could explore, without count with the fact that if they make a game about him, play that memory of the (AC2) truth video is a must, I wouldn't mind a game about him, even knowing a little (I didn't watched the entire Lost Archive gameplay yet) about what happened to him at Abstergo and knowing how his story will end, see all that in 3rd person would be really cool... :)

Epsilonyx
03-10-2012, 02:10 AM
I don't see how you could do much with Subject 16. He infiltrated Abstergo, that was his only notable mission. Then he went in to the animus for too long, went mad and killed himself. The point of the Lost Archive was to wrap up his story, and answer our questions about him. They've done that, why make an entire game centred on him?

Jexx21
03-10-2012, 02:13 AM
It just didn't feel as exciting for me :\. Actually using the hidden blade, fist fighting guards when breaking out of abstergo, parkouring around the warehouse. I found that stuff more entertaining than just constantly platforming around putting batteries into stuff. The Colosseum thing was cool but I still liked AC2's variation

That has nothing to do with Subject 16 though...

pacmanate
03-10-2012, 02:53 PM
That has nothing to do with Subject 16 though...

Sorry hahaha I honestly don't even know why i started talking about Desmond

stefman6987
03-10-2012, 03:17 PM
i have actually been thinking about this for a while, i want them to make another game like a spin off for subject 16, theres just so much we haven't learnt about him and his sessions in the animus, contact with twcb, adam and all them. But all that is pretty much related to desmond's story, they said theres gonna be more puzzles in ac3, so maybe subject 16 left more clues for desmond, or maybe by TWCB who told clay the same information.. just a thought, but i'm kind of disappointed with how they finished off clays story, we learnt quite bit through TLA but i still have so many questions, in AC1 when i passed the game i saw the symbols and was like ... wtf? didn't really care but in AC2 after seeing the truth i started loving the subject 16 story ahah, brotherhood made it even better, revelations didn't really kill it but i still have so many questions

pacmanate
03-10-2012, 04:30 PM
I dont understand how they would do it though, unless Clay had a kid? And the information wouldnt be relevant would it because they would have stopped the solar flare?

twenty_glyphs
03-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Subject 16 is interesting, but I don't think there's enough there to sustain an entire game. His story is pretty much just part of Desmond's story, and showing what happened to him in detail would probably feel too familiar to be that interesting. It's kind of like the Star Wars prequels — sure there was some interest to see how Darth Vader became that way, but there wasn't enough story there to warrant 3 movies. We're probably better off seeing the bits and pieces that we have of Subject 16, including The Lost Archive, than seeing his story get stretched out for an entire game. I think moving on to an entirely new modern-day protagonist will provide the spark that the story needs to stay interesting, rather than just re-visiting events that are really just part*of Desmond's story.

dxsxhxcx
03-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Subject 16 is interesting, but I don't think there's enough there to sustain an entire game. His story is pretty much just part of Desmond's story, and showing what happened to him in detail would probably feel too familiar to be that interesting. It's kind of like the Star Wars prequels — sure there was some interest to see how Darth Vader became that way, but there wasn't enough story there to warrant 3 movies. We're probably better off seeing the bits and pieces that we have of Subject 16, including The Lost Archive, than seeing his story get stretched out for an entire game. I think moving on to an entirely new modern-day protagonist will provide the spark that the story needs to stay interesting, rather than just re-visiting events that are really just part*of Desmond's story.

what would be the reason this new protagonist would have to use the animus?! Save the world is getting old...

GeneralTrumbo
03-10-2012, 05:28 PM
NO. What if the world does end in Desmond's time? What then? If it does, they CAN NOT do another modern-day protagonist!

SleezeRocker
03-10-2012, 05:30 PM
I'd love to play as Sub16 an Sub 4(Nikolai was Daniel's ancestor right?).

Also i'll still hope to play as Latino/Spanish Assassin in the future (with voiceplay by antonio Banderas, it work right?) lol :D

LieutenantJojo
03-10-2012, 07:33 PM
If they ever make a S16 game, I'd prefer it to be on PSVita, but not the main consoles, like PS3 or 360.

They should concentrate on making a new set of games with new protagonists, in stead of concentrating on S16.

JumpInTheFire13
03-10-2012, 07:44 PM
I agree that my interest in S16 really died in ACR. At the end of AC1 I was thinking "holy crap, this guy's psycho." Then I became really interested with the Glyphs/Rifts in AC2 and ACB. His voice made him sound like he was always tripping out and I thought he was an extremely interesting character. But ACR... no. Just no.

GeneralTrumbo
03-10-2012, 08:11 PM
If they ever make a S16 game, I'd prefer it to be on PSVita, but not the main consoles, like PS3 or 360.

They should concentrate on making a new set of games with new protagonists, in stead of concentrating on S16.
They shouldn't have another modern-day protagonist at all. Desmond needs to go down in history as a legend. That feeling wouldn't be the same if there were another modern-day protagonist.

notafanboy
03-10-2012, 08:22 PM
They shouldn't have another modern-day protagonist at all. Desmond needs to go down in history as a legend. That feeling wouldn't be the same if there were another modern-day protagonist.

it won´t be hard making a better character than Desmond because they set the bar so goddang low.

GeneralTrumbo
03-10-2012, 08:30 PM
it won´t be hard making a better character than Desmond because they set the bar so goddang low.
Okay, now you're trolling sooo much.

notafanboy
03-10-2012, 08:34 PM

for expressing my opinion ? well in that case pretty much everyone on these forums are trolls. and you´re a double supreme troll with extra sauce

GeneralTrumbo
03-10-2012, 10:15 PM
for expressing my opinion ? well in that case pretty much everyone on these forums are trolls. and you´re a double supreme troll with extra sauce
The way you are going at it so angrily with hate towards a fictional character shows signs of you being a troll.

GeneralTrumbo
03-10-2012, 10:18 PM
And what does everyone expect Desmond to be? The game is supposed to be as close to real-life as possible. Desmond is the most relatable character in the Assassins Creed universe. He grew up on the farm, ran away from his parents, then became a bartender. What is so wrong about all that? People want him to be this bad-*** character, but he has a relatable attitude that makes him likable. He is confused and is the role the player plays, the role of a confused person. It is almost like us, the gamers, are ​Desmond. That is amazing.

GeneralTrumbo
03-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Not everyone is careless about the story...actually most of the people interested in the franchise love the story...

GeneralTrumbo
03-10-2012, 11:09 PM
Sorry hahaha I honestly don't even know why i started talking about Desmond
Because thats the thing concerning us all.

LieutenantJojo
03-10-2012, 11:12 PM
Why not? Everything is connected through the modern-day protagonist. Removing the modern-day hero, would also mean removing the Animus, which is practically the core of the entire Assassin's Creed-universe.

GeneralTrumbo
03-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Why not? Everything is connected through the modern-day protagonist. Removing the modern-day hero, would also mean removing the Animus, which is practically the core of the entire Assassin's Creed-universe.
Because. If anything, they should do games on the other subjects. You see, they shouldn't because that would be milking it. We have worked up to this point in the 2012 plotline and to just stray away from it and do something completely different would be wrong. Desmond needs to be seen as more significant than just "first modern-day protagonist we ever used" type guy.

Mr_Stunner
03-11-2012, 12:57 AM
Even a Subject 16's triology would be reliable, first game you play as Adam, I don't see any interest on playing with Ezio again, so you can scratch Ezio, that leaves us with 2 new ancestors and a super detailed S16's story and even Lucy's background...
Then they should advance to another triology with Daniel Cross, because having a new modern protagonist would be a little pointless, I don't see where to get a good and sensefull story for this new protagonist

notafanboy
03-11-2012, 11:29 AM
And what does everyone expect Desmond to be? The game is supposed to beas close to real-life as possible . Desmond is the most relatable character in the Assassins Creed universe. He grew up on the farm, ran away from his parents, then became a bartender. What is so wrong about all that? People want him to be this bad-*** character, but he has a relatable attitude that makes him likable. He is confused and is the role the player plays, the role of a confused person. It is almost like us, the gamers, are ​Desmond. That is amazing.

i dislike him because he is basically a nathan drake clone with his witty comments and smartass attitude. And stop calling me a troll, it hurts my feelings and i might get a heartattack

freddie_1897
03-11-2012, 11:41 AM
jesus christ, you call him a troll and then post 4 messages right after each other, just edit your posts for god sake, and while i don't agree with notafanboy, he's not trolling, he is stating his opinion and he has every right to

GeneralTrumbo
03-11-2012, 11:53 AM
i dislike him because he is basically a nathan drake clone with his witty comments and smartass attitude. And stop calling me a troll, it hurts my feelings and i might get a heartattack
That might be because the guy who voices Nathan Drake also voices Desmond.

GeneralTrumbo
03-11-2012, 11:54 AM
jesus christ, you call him a troll and then post 4 messages right after each other, just edit your posts for god sake, and while i don't agree with notafanboy, he's not trolling, he is stating his opinion and he has every right to
I only did that to keep this post up towards the top of the page, while not straight-out saying "Bump".

LightRey
03-11-2012, 11:55 AM
What smartass attitude? Shaun's the smartass.

I only did that to keep this post up towards the top of the page, while not straight-out saying "Bump".
That's still considered bumping I'm afraid.

GeneralTrumbo
03-11-2012, 11:57 AM
That's still considered bumping I'm afraid.

=/

notafanboy
03-11-2012, 12:00 PM
That might be because the guy who voices Nathan Drake also voices Desmond.

i meant personality wise

GeneralTrumbo
03-11-2012, 12:14 PM
i meant personality wise
Desmond doesn't even have a smartass attitude, though. Shaun is the one with that.

Gil_217
03-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Desmond doesn't even have a smartass attitude, though. Shaun is the one with that.

Just because someone (Shaun) already has that kind of personality, that doesn't necessarily mean that Desmond can't have that personality too.

With this said, I'm not saying Desmond has that kind of personality.

LightRey
03-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Just because someone (Shaun) already has that kind of personality, that doesn't necessarily mean that Desmond can't have that personality too.

With this said, I'm not saying Desmond has that kind of personality.
It can be an indication though. It's often the case in stories that each character has a different personality. One guy is the smartass, one the one making the witty jokes, one serious guy, etc.

Gil_217
03-11-2012, 12:50 PM
It can be an indication though. It's often the case in stories that each character has a different personality. One guy is the smartass, one the one making the witty jokes, one serious guy, etc.

Yeah, I know, I was only trying to bring some logic and sense to a conversation about a fictional world. LOL

thekarlone
03-11-2012, 12:55 PM
I disagree. AC saga is all about Desmond, not about Subject 16. When Desmond's Saga ends, then the franchise should rest and be restarted with another different saga.

notafanboy
03-11-2012, 01:05 PM
I disagree. AC saga is all about Desmond´s ancestors, not about Subject 16. When Desmond's Saga ends, then the franchise should rest and be restarted with another different saga.

fixed :)

Assassin_M
03-11-2012, 01:12 PM
I disagree. AC saga is all about Desmond, not about Subject 16. When Desmond's Saga ends, then the franchise should rest and be restarted with another different saga.
In a very recent Interview Corey May, the lead writer of AC III, has already said that AC is bigger than just Desmond..
But if thats your opinion..

freddie_1897
03-11-2012, 02:33 PM

Hypocrite

Mr_Stunner
03-11-2012, 03:14 PM
In a very recent Interview Corey May, the lead writer of AC III, has already said that AC is bigger than just Desmond..

Yep, some spin off sagas with Subject 16 and especially Subject 4 would fit very well in the AC Universe, because after saving the world I don't see any reason for Desmond to hook back in the Animus...

GeneralTrumbo
03-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Bigger than just Desmond, yes, but from the beginning they have said Desmond is the main character and this is his story. Desmond is not the only important one, but he does play a huge role.

GeneralTrumbo
03-11-2012, 03:27 PM
fixed :)
=_= The vision of the Assassins Creed franchise was started by the writers of the games, not you. They know what the games are about, not you. It amazes me how many people don't even pay any attention to such a complex story. Hopefully the writers of AC3 didn't listen to the nay-sayers and get rid of the story I love.

LightRey
03-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I know, I was only trying to bring some logic and sense to a conversation about a fictional world. LOL

As are we all. Well, most of us anyways.

GeneralTrumbo
03-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Sigh...

notafanboy
03-11-2012, 03:36 PM
=_= The vision of the Assassins Creed franchise was started by the writers of the games, not you. They know what the games are about, not you. .

how do you know ? maybe im one of the writers ! dun dun dun ....

GeneralTrumbo
03-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Lol...Why U be trollin?

notafanboy
03-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Lol...Why U be trollin?

im just sayin´

LightRey
03-11-2012, 03:44 PM

http://en.memgenerator.pl/mem-image/yeah-sure-en-ffffff

POP1Fan
03-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Desmond can't be a Nathan Drake clone because he came up first. :p Or at the very last, at the same time, so if anything Nathan is the clone.

notafanboy
03-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Desmond can't be a Nathan Drake clone because he came up first. :p Or at the very last, at the same time, so if anything Nathan is the clone.
my point is that i dislike both of them

POP1Fan
03-11-2012, 05:06 PM
my point is that i dislike both of them

Oh...my apologise xDDD I agree Drake sucks, but i like Desmond:p

Apirka
03-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Admittedly, Desmond is hardly a particularly interesting character. It's his story that is interesting, not his personality. (And i do like him, at least since ACR, but that doesn't change that he's a bit dull, especially compared to his ancestors or characters like Clay.)

Mr_Stunner
03-11-2012, 08:06 PM
admittedly, desmond is hardly a particularly interesting character. It's his story that is interesting, not his personality. (and i do like him, at least since acr, but that doesn't change that he's a bit dull, especially compared to his ancestors or characters like clay.)

qft

SolidSage
03-11-2012, 09:36 PM
So I'm not down for a 16 game, I too think retreading old ground holds less interest.

In regard to the intresting Desmond/new protagonist debate, how about if they do away withh ALL modern era story play altogether? And instead just utilize the Animus as OUR interface with the past? So we still have DNA strands, animus loading screens etf, but it is no longer tied to another character, and instead WE are the character, like in the MP with some well scripted purpose for our ancestral memory missions. This would of course require some sort of character generator so we could feel reasonably related to the ancestor, and a somewhat generic story arc I suppose. Hmmm, maybe we wage war on Templars in the new Animus somehow, being able to dispatch modern enemies in the historic memory landscape somehow. So it's actually having direct effect on the present rather than being an intel gathering mission for a modern day treasure hunt.

Wow, I really oversimplified a five game story arc there didn't I? Many apologies.

SixKeys
03-11-2012, 09:57 PM
In regard to the intresting Desmond/new protagonist debate, how about if they do away withh ALL modern era story play altogether? And instead just utilize the Animus as OUR interface with the past? So we still have DNA strands, animus loading screens etf, but it is no longer tied to another character, and instead WE are the character, like in the MP with some well scripted purpose for our ancestral memory missions. This would of course require some sort of character generator so we could feel reasonably related to the ancestor, and a somewhat generic story arc I suppose. Hmmm, maybe we wage war on Templars in the new Animus somehow, being able to dispatch modern enemies in the historic memory landscape somehow. So it's actually having direct effect on the present rather than being an intel gathering mission for a modern day treasure hunt.

I don't see how that would work. The Animus is basically a complex virtual reality simulator. It digs into your ancestor's memories and recreates the environment in which they lived, making it easier to sync with their memories. It doesn't allow you to kill someone by manipulating their mind like in The Matrix.

SolidSage
03-11-2012, 10:03 PM
^ Yes thats true but they do keep updating the Animus and if you are cerebrally connected to a machine surely they can find a way to have the connection cerebrally turn you off. It is very Matrix but I have always thought the Animus approach borrowed heavily from that fiction anyway.

I'm less after cerebral assassination though and more for a departure from a modern protagonist. I don't really need to do the whole Desmond thing again.

tarrero
03-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Not Necessarily, I know it might be far fetched, but I suppose there are records of sixten´s sessions out there.....

Apirka
03-11-2012, 10:13 PM
I think a modern day plotline can work if it's different enough from Desmond's. No more searching for the locations of PoE's or having to save the world from the new solar flare of doom. Though I'm not sure what the modern day plot would be about instead if you'd still want to tie it in with the war against the Templars. (Unless maybe it's used purely for training, similar to how the Templars did it in the multiplayer and every now and then you have a modern day mission, culminating in some devastating blow against Abstergo? All depends on how ACIII ends, of course.)

...As for the actual topic of the thread, I wouldn't mind a game about Clay if it's well executed. I love TLA and I'd hate for it to be screwed up somehow because they decided to make a new game. (Considering that with TLA's timeline he has to be some kind of Assassin prodigy it does have the potential to be awesome though.)

liamisic911
03-12-2012, 12:12 AM
I think subject 16's part in TLA was done way better then Desmond's "Journey" it was far more in depth and emotional than Desmond's. While I'm not one for the tetris style game play the running commentary kept me intrigued and fascinated with the whole story aspect of the dlc. I liked the fact they left clues in the dlc for us to find and try and work, out adds a bit more depth to it. The graphics and the scenery was also what I expected Desmond's missions to look like. I really think they should have done more with 16 though he was the most mysterious character in the game to me anyway and I think it was quite a bad move on ubi's part to make TLA a dlc, it should have been on everyone's disc from the start otherwise we just have a character who has bout 10 minutes screen time then he's cut from the game... bit of shame.

Mr_Stunner
03-12-2012, 12:29 AM
I think after ACIII only prequels would work on the modern day, I guess after ACIII Desmond will defeat the templars... So there's nothing more to do really...

mattahleen
03-24-2012, 08:44 PM
psv maybe?

GeneralTrumbo
03-24-2012, 08:47 PM
End the story in AC3, while on a high note.