PDA

View Full Version : Adam, Eve and their DNA

LightRey
03-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Ok, I don't necessarily agree with this theory, but I cannot deny that it's interesting and I think it's most certainly worth discussing, so here goes:

First to explain this theory we have to look at two different elements in our genetic makeup. The first being the Y-chromosome and the second being mitochondrial DNA. The Y-chromosome, as most of you most likely already know, is the chromosome that determines the gender of a person. If someone has one Y- and one X-chromosome, said person is male and if they're both X-chromosomes said person is female. Mitochondrial DNA is the DNA in your mitochondria, which can be found in most of the cells in your body. Mitochondria have their own DNA because they're remnants of an organism that at some point "decided" to live in the cell(s) of our ancestors and form a symbiosis with it.

Now what these 2 have in common is the fact that both can be traced to one specific ancestral line. Someone's Y-chromosome comes from their paternal line and someone's mitochondrial DNA comes from their maternal line. This is the case with the Y-chromosome because only men carry it and thus one can only get it from their father, who got it from his father, etc. A person's mitochondrial DNA can only come from his/her mother, because the mother is the one whose body constructs their cells and therefore it are her mitochondria that will be part of his/her cells.

Note: there is one significant difference between the two, and that is that both men and women have mitochondria, while only men carry the Y-chromosome.

Now you might ask why this would be significant. It is because if we presume that there is something unique about Eve's mitochondrial DNA and Adam's Y-chromosome, it would both signify the importance of her DNA and could explain (in part) why Desmond has to look for some woman (that Juno still doesn't know). Normal descendants of Adam and Eve would have been all too common, but that does not apply to direct paternal descendants of Adam or direct maternal descendants of Eve. In fact, the most recent universally common ancestors (called Y-chromosomal Adam and Mitochondrial Eve) lived around 200,000 years ago, which is 100,000 years earlier than when the Adam and Eve in Assassin's Creed supposedly lived.

This would mean that, if there really was something special about Adam's Y-chromosome and Eve's mitochondrial DNA (which is not all that unlikely considering they were hybrids) and if Desmond were to be a direct paternal descendant of Adam, then it would make a lot of sense for him to have to find a direct maternal descendant of Eve.

Well that's the theory. Please share your thoughts on the matter. :P

Assassin_M
03-09-2012, 04:54 PM
So this is what ? your third thread ? :P
Anyways, the theory seems about right, im more curious about the difference between Y-chromosomal Adam and Mitochondrial Eve and Adam and Eve of the AC universe..
Maybe each doesnt exist in the others` universe, but its still a possibility because it is heavily implied in the Truth that not everyone is a Descendant of Adam and Eve..

LightRey
03-09-2012, 05:08 PM
So this is what ? your third thread ? :P
Anyways, the theory seems about right, im more curious about the difference between Y-chromosomal Adam and Mitochondrial Eve and Adam and Eve of the AC universe..
Maybe each doesnt exist in the others` universe, but its still a possibility because it is heavily implied in the Truth that not everyone is a Descendant of Adam and Eve..

10th actually. :P
And yes, it's quite an interesting idea. If Y-chromosomal Adam and Mitochondrial Eve did exist in the AC universe, that would mean that humanity endured at least 100,000 years of slavery.

Assassin_M
03-09-2012, 05:11 PM
10th actually. :P
And yes, it's quite an interesting idea. If Y-chromosomal Adam and Mitochondrial Eve did exist in the AC universe, that would mean that humanity endured at least 100,000 years of slavery.
Not only that but it would also open ALOT of more doors of Mystery, perhaps pertaining to Minerva, Juno and Jupiter having numerous names..

LightRey
03-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Not only that but it would also open ALOT of more doors of Mystery, perhaps pertaining to Minerva, Juno and Jupiter having numerous names..

True. I also just realized it could also mean that Y-chromosomal Adam and Mitochondrial Eve are part of TWCB.

Assassin_M
03-09-2012, 05:14 PM
True. I also just realized it could also mean that Y-chromosomal Adam and Mitochondrial Eve are part of TWCB.
Ancestors of the AC Universe`s Adam and Eve ?

LightRey
03-09-2012, 05:15 PM
Ancestors of the AC Universe`s Adam and Eve ?

Most likely. They were hybrids after all.

Assassin_M
03-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Most likely. They were hybrids after all.
Perhaps the first Hybrids ?
and thats how they became resistant to Pieces of Eden ? or Maybe its Eve alone and not Adam, who is a Hybrid ?

LightRey
03-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Perhaps the first Hybrids ?
and thats how they became resistant to Pieces of Eden ? or Maybe its Eve alone and not Adam, who is a Hybrid ?

I think it's both, considering the fact that they both have the same kinds of markings on their skin as those that you can see glowing on Desmond's arm at the end of ACR.

CreedVision
03-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Very detailed and interesting theory. I see it's possible. Thanks for the biology lesson too :D

LightRey
03-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Very detailed and interesting theory. I see it's possible. Thanks for the biology lesson too :D

Thanks. I actually thought of it while discussing the concept in a different thread.
Glad to have taught you something. :P

YuurHeen
03-09-2012, 06:17 PM
you do know you can go too scientific. the whole assassins creed universe kinda deals with a different scientific world.

LightRey
03-09-2012, 06:23 PM
you do know you can go too scientific. the whole assassins creed universe kinda deals with a different scientific world.

Only to a limited extent and this is basic genetics. I learned all of this in school.

InfectedNation
03-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Only to a limited extent and this is basic genetics. I learned all of this in school.

I'm doing A level biology at the moment but I still WTF'd more than the end of Brotherhood when you said Mitochondria orignate from lifeforms which lived inside human cells.

LightRey
03-09-2012, 06:40 PM
I'm doing A level biology at the moment but I still WTF'd more than the end of Brotherhood when you said Mitochondria orignate from lifeforms which lived inside human cells.

xD
Well it's true that I didn't have to learn that part. My biology teacher was quite enthusiastic, so he always taught us a little more about stuff like that.

Poodle_of_Doom
03-09-2012, 06:53 PM

Actually, I wanted to throw my two cents in here. I do have a bit of medical knowledge, some of which you may find very helpful here. There are reasons that I won't go into right now as to why I think the Y Chromosome shouldn't have as much emphasis as you place on it, but I will save that for another time. However, I do have a bit of knowledge that may expand on your theory regarding Eve's mitochandrial DNA. It revolves around the function of the mitochandria in the cells.

You see, the mitochandria are actually the power houses of the cell. They are responsible for a lot of biological functions, mainly involve energy production, and the ATP Chain in the cell. (If anyone wants a good explination of an ATP Chain, please ask. A small amount of knowledge of this will help with what I'm getting at, but I'll assume some knowledge on your part until someone asks.) This ATP chain, on the most basic of levels, helps move bad stuff out of the cell, and good stuff in. But it also helps with metabolic functions, and energy production.

That said, when you presented this, my mind somehow jumped on over to Star Wars. There was an exchange between Obi Wan and young Anikan Skywalker in Episode I about mitichloriene (I don't think I spelled that right, and am to lazy to look it up). That said, it got me to thinking about the mitochandria in the cells, and that the mitichloriene might somehow be related. Considering the functions of the mitochandria in the cells, as it relates to "The Force", I figured mitochandria may be related to how it works. If you had enough mitochandria, and enough energy production, could you transfer that energy to other objects?

For sake of example, I imagine that it would be similar to a hot frying pan. You heat it up (read: add energy), and heat is given off by it as it cools down (read: energy is given off (read really deep into that: energy transference)). The Force would exist similarly to this in my mind. You have a build up of mitochandria, and an excess of energy, which builds up in your system, and you can munipulate.

Now, I'm sure many of you may be asking how exactly The Force relates to Assassin's Creed. To take a line from Juno: "Remember the Sixth!" I do believe this to be the sixth sense, which would be similar to a telepathic ability. Kind of like what The Force is. I imagine that the DNA coding for mitochandria is related to it's formation within the cells. What if the DNA from Eve, one of TWCB, coded for extra mitochandira? Would there be a build up within the cells? Would this build up of mitochandria be what causes "The Sixth" to exist?

As for going to scientific, I doubt you'd say that about LightRey's original post now. At that, lets remember that the AC series has always maintained some level of basis within the real world. As for you LightRey, I like this thread, and am curious to see how it develops. And I do believe that in my short time on this forum, this is the first time I've ever seen you make a thread, though I notice you said you've made ten. Making them when they count, right? ;)

LightRey
03-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Actually, I wanted to throw my two cents in here. I do have a bit of medical knowledge, some of which you may find very helpful here. There are reasons that I won't go into right now as to why I think the Y Chromosome shouldn't have as much emphasis as you place on it, but I will save that for another time. However, I do have a bit of knowledge that may expand on your theory regarding Eve's mitochandrial DNA. It revolves around the function of the mitochandria in the cells.

You see, the mitochandria are actually the power houses of the cell. They are responsible for a lot of biological functions, mainly involve energy production, and the ATP Chain in the cell. (If anyone wants a good explination of an ATP Chain, please ask. A small amount of knowledge of this will help with what I'm getting at, but I'll assume some knowledge on your part until someone asks.) This ATP chain, on the most basic of levels, helps move bad stuff out of the cell, and good stuff in. But it also helps with metabolic functions, and energy production.

That said, when you presented this, my mind somehow jumped on over to Star Wars. There was an exchange between Obi Wan and young Anikan Skywalker in Episode I about mitichloriene (I don't think I spelled that right, and am to lazy to look it up). That said, it got me to thinking about the mitochandria in the cells, and that the mitichloriene might somehow be related. Considering the functions of the mitochandria in the cells, as it relates to "The Force", I figured mitochandria may be related to how it works. If you had enough mitochandria, and enough energy production, could you transfer that energy to other objects?

For sake of example, I imagine that it would be similar to a hot frying pan. You heat it up (read: add energy), and heat is given off by it as it cools down (read: energy is given off (read really deep into that: energy transference)). The Force would exist similarly to this in my mind. You have a build up of mitochandria, and an excess of energy, which builds up in your system, and you can munipulate.

Now, I'm sure many of you may be asking how exactly The Force relates to Assassin's Creed. To take a line from Juno: "Remember the Sixth!" I do believe this to be the sixth sense, which would be similar to a telepathic ability. Kind of like what The Force is. I imagine that the DNA coding for mitochandria is related to it's formation within the cells. What if the DNA from Eve, one of TWCB, coded for extra mitochandira? Would there be a build up within the cells? Would this build up of mitochandria be what causes "The Sixth" to exist?

As for going to scientific, I doubt you'd say that about LightRey's original post now. At that, lets remember that the AC series has always maintained some level of basis within the real world. As for you LightRey, I like this thread, and am curious to see how it develops. And I do believe that in my short time on this forum, this is the first time I've ever seen you make a thread, though I notice you said you've made ten. Making them when they count, right? ;)

I do, I do. xD
That's certainly an interesting take on all this. It's highly speculative of course, but the whole theory on its own already was quite speculative to begin with. The analogy with The Force is very intriguing as well.

We also know that the apple seems to drain energy from its user, so it could be that in order to be able to use the apple, you need to be able to produce the necessary chemical energy. This would explain how using it (effectively) is only possible for certain people.

As for the Y-chromosome. Yeah, all it really is, is a little leftover of what used to be a slightly mutated X-chromosome. Still, I think it's possible that there could be something significant encoded in it. I do think it's worth noting at this point that up till now we've only seen male users of Eagle Vision/Sense.

Acrimonious_Nin
03-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Ok, I don't necessarily agree with this theory, but I cannot deny that it's interesting and I think it's most certainly worth discussing, so here goes:

First to explain this theory we have to look at two different elements in our genetic makeup. The first being the Y-chromosome and the second being mitochondrial DNA. The Y-chromosome, as most of you most likely already know, is the chromosome that determines the gender of a person. If someone has one Y- and one X-chromosome, said person is male and if they're both X-chromosomes said person is female. Mitochondrial DNA is the DNA in your mitochondria, which can be found in most of the cells in your body. Mitochondria have their own DNA because they're remnants of an organism that at some point "decided" to live in the cell(s) of our ancestors and form a symbiosis with it.

Now what these 2 have in common is the fact that both can be traced to one specific ancestral line. Someone's Y-chromosome comes from their paternal line and someone's mitochondrial DNA comes from their maternal line. This is the case with the Y-chromosome because only men carry it and thus one can only get it from their father, who got it from his father, etc. A person's mitochondrial DNA can only come from his/her mother, because the mother is the one whose body constructs their cells and therefore it are her mitochondria that will be part of his/her cells.

Note: there is one significant difference between the two, and that is that both men and women have mitochondria, while only men carry the Y-chromosome.

Now you might ask why this would be significant. It is because if we presume that there is something unique about Eve's mitochondrial DNA and Adam's Y-chromosome, it would both signify the importance of her DNA and could explain (in part) why Desmond has to look for some woman (that Juno still doesn't know). Normal descendants of Adam and Eve would have been all too common, but that does not apply to direct paternal descendants of Adam or direct maternal descendants of Eve. In fact, the most recent universally common ancestors (called Y-chromosomal Adam and Mitochondrial Eve) lived around 200,000 years ago, which is 100,000 years earlier than when the Adam and Eve in Assassin's Creed supposedly lived.

This would mean that, if there really was something special about Adam's Y-chromosome and Eve's mitochondrial DNA (which is not all that unlikely considering they were hybrids) and if Desmond were to be a direct paternal descendant of Adam, then it would make a lot of sense for him to have to find a direct maternal descendant of Eve.

Well that's the theory. Please share your thoughts on the matter. :P

This is great :D its solid and I can see how things tie together with the AC universe and it makes sense when you look back in to the games story plot. Especially when you add Clay's ramblings of Eve and the session video of Adam and Eve running around, in what is currently believed to be Eden, but I have to ask where is the theory? you stated facts gathered by scientific research, then you directly stated that Desmond is a direct descendant of Adam and Eve (assuming noone already knew that). All I can deduce from this knowledge of DNA and genetics, as basic as it is, is the fact that Desmond is special. According to this, ANY female must contain some level of mitochondria Eve's DNA on some level. Which on a tacit note says that Desmond is free to mate as he may please. Since all that is really important is that, determining factor of gender, the Y chromosome that continues Adams lineage and any knowledge he might have that is important only so that a direct paternal descendant, Desmond, will be able to relive Adam's memory do to the Y chromosome.

Off- topic : This leads me to believe that with my 'overies' theory ,where this dna stuff derailed my topic, the gate that leads to the 'overies' and the female symbol(which looks like the gates Clay walks through in TLA) is in fact a probability closer to presume that Desmond will have to go through that special Y chromosome([a genetic memory]or the gate made of light at the end or AC:R) of his and see what Eve showed Adam in Eden. Hence s16's rambling in brotherhood: "Find Eve.In Eden.Her DNA....Key...."and hence juno in TLA saying ''Remember..in eden'' and Eve tells Adam to touch the apple and that ''he would know...'' so what ever he knows is in Adam's Y chromosome and Desmonding being male and clearly having the Y-chromosome will have access to whatever relavence Eve may have in this story. :D

P.S this makes Assassins Creed a very (and I say this with an exstatic tone) a GREAT patriarcal system much enphasisis the relevance of the infamous, but VERY POWERFULL Y- chromosome --- which shows the potency of the male gender and proves that size does not necessarily mean its more prominant ;) ------ that one's for poodle of doom <3 I love your comment :D

EscoBlades
03-09-2012, 08:04 PM
As for the Y-chromosome. Yeah, all it really is, is a little leftover of what used to be a slightly mutated X-chromosome. Still, I think it's possible that there could be something significant encoded in it. I do think it's worth noting at this point that up till now we've only seen male users of Eagle Vision/Sense.

I agree wholeheartedly, especially with the quoted part of your exchange.

playassassins1
03-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Wow, its really cool that people come up with theories like these. And to be honest i can't come with that, at least not as big and detailed like that. And i didn't get a quarter of that theory, but i guess thats just me.

So well done Lightrey! :D

LightRey
03-09-2012, 10:55 PM
This is great :D its solid and I can see how things tie together with the AC universe and it makes sense when you look back in to the games story plot. Especially when you add Clay's ramblings of Eve and the session video of Adam and Eve running around, in what is currently believed to be Eden, but I have to ask where is the theory? you stated facts gathered by scientific research, then you directly stated that Desmond is a direct descendant of Adam and Eve (assuming noone already knew that). All I can deduce from this knowledge of DNA and genetics, as basic as it is, is the fact that Desmond is special. According to this, ANY female must contain some level of mitochondria Eve's DNA on some level. Which on a tacit note says that Desmond is free to mate as he may please. Since all that is really important is that, determining factor of gender, the Y chromosome that continues Adams lineage and any knowledge he might have that is important only so that a direct paternal descendant, Desmond, will be able to relive Adam's memory do to the Y chromosome.

Off- topic : This leads me to believe that with my 'overies' theory ,where this dna stuff derailed my topic, the gate that leads to the 'overies' and the female symbol(which looks like the gates Clay walks through in TLA) is in fact a probability closer to presume that Desmond will have to go through that special Y chromosome([a genetic memory]or the gate made of light at the end or AC:R) of his and see what Eve showed Adam in Eden. Hence s16's rambling in brotherhood: "Find Eve.In Eden.Her DNA....Key...."and hence juno in TLA saying ''Remember..in eden'' and Eve tells Adam to touch the apple and that ''he would know...'' so what ever he knows is in Adam's Y chromosome and Desmonding being male and clearly having the Y-chromosome will have access to whatever relavence Eve may have in this story. :D

P.S this makes Assassins Creed a very (and I say this with an exstatic tone) a GREAT patriarcal system much enphasisis the relevance of the infamous, but VERY POWERFULL Y- chromosome --- which shows the potency of the male gender and proves that size does not necessarily mean its more prominant ;) ------ that one's for poodle of doom <3 I love your comment :D

The theory doesn't just assume that Desmond is a direct descendant of Adam, but that he's a direct paternal descendant (i.e. the son of the son of the son... etc. of Adam) and the woman he would need to find would be a direct maternal descendant. Direct paternal and maternal descendants would me much harder to find and those would be the only ones carrying these (assumed to be) special and unique bits of genetic information. I'm not sure if the Y-chromosome will be a (major) factor in reliving Adam's memories though. Though it could be, it could not be the only chromosome on which memories would be "stored" (assuming that's how it's done), since else he wouldn't be able to relive both Ezio's and Alta´r's memories, as they're not directly related and thus cannot both be part of Desmond's paternal ancestral line.

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I do try my best especially when I make a thread. :P

Alabama Love
03-10-2012, 03:04 AM
I agree wholeheartedly, especially with the quoted part of your exchange.

Wait, isn't Templar Vision supposed to be the same thing as Eagle Vision, just named differently. If so, then we played as women with it.

Epsilonyx
03-10-2012, 03:36 AM
Why are we assuming only men are born with Eagle Sense ?

Acrimonious_Nin
03-10-2012, 03:56 AM

who's assuming?

@lightrey...we are assuming that according to your theory that Y chromosome Adam and mito. Eve is a metaphor for the 'hybrids' of their time yeah ?

because thinking that desmond needs to find a close(as close as 100,000- 200,000 years ago) relative to mate with is..well... weird.... >_> don't you think?

incest much? cousins mating...thats gross lol, but if the theory is assuming that the bio-talk(Y's and X's) is relating to all hybrids then it would make more sense no ?

Poodle_of_Doom
03-10-2012, 04:14 AM
The only thing I can say at this point LightRey is that you can't be so insistant on the importance of the Y Chromosome.The truth of the matter is, when people reproduce they pass along various atributes of their DNA, which includes contrabutions from both Mother and Father. As this string of RNA contributed during reproduction, it usually contains a random assortment of genes from your DNA sequence. You will have genetic information from both your parents in there. This, to me, trivializes the Y Chromosome in your theory. The only thing that will not change in this process is the mitochandrial DNA. That will always be consistant with the Mother. That said, the Animus reads cellular DNA, which is why you typically follow the Fathers Lineage. I think if you were to switch the Animus to mitochondrial DNA, that you could follow the Mothers lineage instead.

xsatanicjokerx
03-10-2012, 04:51 AM
The reason you don't get mitochondrial DNA from your father is because in sperm it is located in the base of the tail ( the mitochondria powers its movement) which falls off at the point of fertilization. Not because your body cells are made of your mothers (which is false, your cells are a combination of your mother and father). Sorry had to say it as a Biology student.

Poodle_of_Doom
03-10-2012, 06:08 AM
The reason you don't get mitochondrial DNA from your father is because in sperm it is located in the base of the tail ( the mitochondria powers its movement) which falls off at the point of fertilization. Not because your body cells are made of your mothers (which is false, your cells are a combination of your mother and father). Sorry had to say it as a Biology student.

Let's um.... watch how we convey the points we wish to make, should a younger, less informed, audience be listening in. You never know how appropriate this is for those viewing the thread.

Assassin_M
03-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Let's um.... watch how we convey the points we wish to make, should a younger, less informed, audience be listening in. You never know how appropriate this is for those viewing the thread.
I dont think a Younger Audience may be listening in on a thread called "Adam, Eve, and their DNA"

orionsrise
03-10-2012, 09:06 AM
I like this thread, big nerd here, Would like to add one possible theory about Y chromosone. Assuming some basic knowledge still, the Y chromosone(here out Y for short) is by comparison with the X chromosone(here out X) is smaller or shorter. The fundamental differences between TWCB and humans might be missing genetic material off the Y (assuming that TWCB created the human race as slaves using thier own DNA as a base to work off of, I can't remember now clearly enough to site this in game if someone could I'd appreciate it, believe it"s in AC2) Though on the surface it dosn't appear to explain the difference between woman and TWCB for they have no Y only two X's, but nice little thought.

LightRey
03-10-2012, 11:49 AM
The only thing I can say at this point LightRey is that you can't be so insistant on the importance of the Y Chromosome.The truth of the matter is, when people reproduce they pass along various atributes of their DNA, which includes contrabutions from both Mother and Father. As this string of RNA contributed during reproduction, it usually contains a random assortment of genes from your DNA sequence. You will have genetic information from both your parents in there. This, to me, trivializes the Y Chromosome in your theory. The only thing that will not change in this process is the mitochandrial DNA. That will always be consistant with the Mother. That said, the Animus reads cellular DNA, which is why you typically follow the Fathers Lineage. I think if you were to switch the Animus to mitochondrial DNA, that you could follow the Mothers lineage instead.

I'm sorry, what? Only the father carries the Y-chromosome. Ignoring mutations, you have your father's Y-chromosome, who had his father's, who had his father's, etc. Aside from slight mutations your Y-Chromosome is that of Y-chromosomal Adam. The same goes for every other man, but with different (slight) mutations.

who's assuming?

@lightrey...we are assuming that according to your theory that Y chromosome Adam and mito. Eve is a metaphor for the 'hybrids' of their time yeah ?

because thinking that desmond needs to find a close(as close as 100,000- 200,000 years ago) relative to mate with is..well... weird.... >_> don't you think?

incest much? cousins mating...thats gross lol, but if the theory is assuming that the bio-talk(Y's and X's) is relating to all hybrids then it would make more sense no ?

Eh, dude. You're not really getting it. It's not a metaphor for them being hybrids. The Adam and Eve of Assassin's Creed are not Y-chromosomal Adam and Mitochondrial Eve. Y-chromosomal Adam and Mitochondrial Eve are the most recent universally common human paternal and maternal ancestors. You and I are both related to Y-chromosomal Adam and Mitochondrial Eve, who lived 200,000 years ago. That's not incest anymore, that's just bloodline recombination.
I'm using the Y-chromosome and mitochondrial DNA to explain a possible unique genetic makeup that both Desmond and the woman he would need to find would have. I'm also not suggesting that they need to have an offspring together (though it is a possibility), so I really don't see why you're bringing that up in the first place.

We're not, but up until now we've only seen men use it, which could suggest that the Y-chromosome plays a factor in having the ability to unlock it.

GeneralTrumbo
03-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Interesting theory. But, its 5:00AM where I am, so I don't feel like thinking about this right now.

LightRey
03-10-2012, 12:14 PM
I like this thread, big nerd here, Would like to add one possible theory about Y chromosone. Assuming some basic knowledge still, the Y chromosone(here out Y for short) is by comparison with the X chromosone(here out X) is smaller or shorter. The fundamental differences between TWCB and humans might be missing genetic material off the Y (assuming that TWCB created the human race as slaves using thier own DNA as a base to work off of, I can't remember now clearly enough to site this in game if someone could I'd appreciate it, believe it"s in AC2) Though on the surface it dosn't appear to explain the difference between woman and TWCB for they have no Y only two X's, but nice little thought.

That is an interesting take. Since we can (to an extent at least) take evolution out of the equation it's not hard to imagine that TWCB had a more sizable Y-chromosome (i.e. one that is basically identical to the X-chromosome, except for the "male-gene"). If that is the case and Adam had that Y-chromosome, then Desmond, assuming he's a direct paternal descendant of Adam, should have basically that same Y-chromosome.

Oh, and yes, TWCB do seem to be the ones to have created the human race. We're not descendant of apes in the AC universe and Minerva herself said that "[they] created us in [their] image".

Acrimonious_Nin
03-10-2012, 04:23 PM
ok, so maybe like a distant cousin only needed to walk through a gate ? it makes more sense thanks. I am just trying to understand your theory if I bring it up in the first place its to better understand my position of understanding and what your saying since we are different people lol ;p

rileypoole1234
03-10-2012, 04:53 PM
I'm not sure if this has to do with you're theory but, I think that Desmond has to find another biological descendant of Adam and Eve. This may be completely wrong but I thought Desmond was a biological descendant of Adam and Eve . I don't know if that made any sense, but I think Desmond has the Y chromosome of Adam, and the woman he needs to find has the mitochondria DNA of Eve. I'm no Biologist, so that may not make any sense at all, but that's what I first thought.

LightRey
03-10-2012, 05:48 PM
I'm not sure if this has to do with you're theory but, I think that Desmond has to find another biological descendant of Adam and Eve. This may be completely wrong but I thought Desmond was a biological descendant of Adam and Eve . I don't know if that made any sense, but I think Desmond has the Y chromosome of Adam, and the woman he needs to find has the mitochondria DNA of Eve. I'm no Biologist, so that may not make any sense at all, but that's what I first thought.

Like most people by that time, he's most likely a descendant of Adam and Eve, yes. What you're suggesting is exactly the basis of this theory. :P
If Desmond is a direct paternal descendant of Adam (meaning he's the son of the son of the son... etc. of the son of Adam) then he'll have his Y-chromosome (with some slight mutations of course, but those are unlikely to be very significant) and if the woman he needs to find is a direct maternal descendant of Eve (meaning she's the daughter of the daughter of the daughter... etc. of the daughter of Eve), then she would have Eve's (also most likely with slight mutations) mitochondrial DNA. Now if we presume that there's something special about those bits of DNA, then this whole thing is starting to make sense since direct maternal and paternal descendants would be much more rare than regular direct descendants and it would explain their significance.

ok, so maybe like a distant cousin only needed to walk through a gate ? it makes more sense thanks. I am just trying to understand your theory if I bring it up in the first place its to better understand my position of understanding and what your saying since we are different people lol ;p

Sortof. It'd be about as distant a cousin as half the people you'll meet in your life though. Their genetic similarities would be insignificant regarding procreation.

I've also thought a little more about this and I realized that maybe Adam's Y-chromosome and Eve's mitochondria could be significant because they would hold the last few bits of TWCB genetic information only a few people carry (because they can only be handed down a paternal or maternal line respectively). Thus only people who are both paternal descendants of Adam and maternal Descendants of Eve would have all the necessary genetic information (assuming the genetic information in the rest of their chromosomes has reached most, if not all humans by then).

Poodle_of_Doom
03-12-2012, 01:38 AM
I'm sorry, what? Only the father carries the Y-chromosome. Ignoring mutations, you have your father's Y-chromosome, who had his father's, who had his father's, etc. Aside from slight mutations your Y-Chromosome is that of Y-chromosomal Adam. The same goes for every other man, but with different (slight) mutations.

Which explains why you have only 25% of your DNA in common with your grandfather instead of 50%. By your theory, you couldn't use alleals (genetic markers where one set of genes start, and another ends) to differentiate between grandfather and father.

LightRey
03-12-2012, 08:32 AM
Which explains why you have only 25% of your DNA in common with your grandfather instead of 50%. By your theory, you couldn't use alleals (genetic markers where one set of genes start, and another ends) to differentiate between grandfather and father.
That doesn't matter. We're talking about the Y-chromosome here. Your point would only make sense if the Y-chromosome were the only chromosome people had or if women could have it too.

Poodle_of_Doom
03-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Acutally, it does. Your talking about tracing lineage, and are making the argument that it never changes, when in fact it does change. The truth of the matter is that the only genetic constant in the human body is the mitochondrial DNA.

I hope you understand, I'm not saying that there isn't a relationship to Adam and Eve here. What I am saying is that there's been a select group of people conisisting of this lineage this entire time.

LightRey
03-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Acutally, it does. Your talking about tracing lineage, and are making the argument that it never changes, when in fact it does change. The truth of the matter is that the only genetic constant in the human body is the mitochondrial DNA.

I hope you understand, I'm not saying that there isn't a relationship to Adam and Eve here. What I am saying is that there's been a select group of people conisisting of this lineage this entire time.

You do realize that the Y-chromosome itself doesn't change except for mutations right? If I were wrong Y-chromosomal Adam wouldn't exist.

JCearlyyears
03-12-2012, 07:20 PM
I recall hearing somewhere that eagle sense is a possibility for everyone, but you have to have a large concentration of the DNA.
If Desmond were to mate with this Eve and have a child, assuming Eve has Eagle sense too, would that not meant their child(ren) would have a large concentration of the DNA and have an even stronger Eagle sense, or maybe even be quite similar to TOWCB?

Poodle_of_Doom
03-12-2012, 07:24 PM
You do realize that the Y-chromosome itself doesn't change except for mutations right? If I were wrong Y-chromosomal Adam wouldn't exist.

You know what, I was thinking about something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_recombination

But still, the argument can be made that you are 50% genetically identical to your grandfather, which is really kind of scary, and weird at the same time.

LightRey
03-12-2012, 07:54 PM
You know what, I was thinking about something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_recombination

But still, the argument can be made that you are 50% genetically identical to your grandfather, which is really kind of scary, and weird at the same time.
Again, that doesn't matter. Genetic recombination is really just a form of mutation and it takes hundreds of millions of years before it actually changes a significant portion of the molecule. Your Y-chromosome is already almost identical to that of a male cat. The chances that whatever theoretical "special" part of Adam's Y-chromosome would be changed in any way within a mere 100,000 years, especially considering the evolutionary advantage of having said property, is extremely slim.

That is beside the point. We're speaking solely about the Y-chromosome here. Not the entire genetic makeup.

Poodle_of_Doom
03-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Yeah, I realize that now.

Gil_217
03-12-2012, 09:12 PM
If Desmond is a direct paternal descendant of Adam (meaning he's the son of the son of the son... etc. of the son of Adam) then he'll have his Y-chromosome (with some slight mutations of course, but those are unlikely to be very significant) and if the woman he needs to find is a direct maternal descendant of Eve (meaning she's the daughter of the daughter of the daughter... etc. of the daughter of Eve), then she would have Eve's (also most likely with slight mutations) mitochondrial DNA. Now if we presume that there's something special about those bits of DNA, then this whole thing is starting to make sense since direct maternal and paternal descendants would be much more rare than regular direct descendants and it would explain their significance.

This has to be one of the rarest things I have ever heard. But I guess that's the fun of it.

LightRey
03-12-2012, 10:25 PM
This has to be one of the rarest things I have ever heard. But I guess that's the fun of it.

Yep. Do keep in mind that at this point I'm far from convinced that this theory is true. It still requires too many assumptions at this point. However, it does seem to fit well and it's really the only well fitting theory that I've been able to come up with.