PDA

View Full Version : AC3: To Scalp, Or Not To Scalp?

KJGPlay
03-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Bit of a dark topic. Given the setting for AC3 and Connor's background, who thinks he could scalp fallen enemies (as proof he's assassinated them for a bureau, like the feather dipped in blood in AC1)?

Or is it something only a Templar Agent would do, that you'd have to hunt down and ultimately unlock in multiplayer?

:D

Lonesoldier2012
03-07-2012, 10:27 PM
0_o

LightRey
03-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Maybe, but I doubt it. I doubt there will be stations similar to the Assassin Bureaus and even if there will be, I don't think scalping is a very "discreet" way of proving you assassinated your target. It'd also further complicate matters considering that most if not all targets would have to have been scalped.

Knowing the Assassins, they'll only scalp targets to make it seem like regular Native Americans were responsible.

Mutley_Rulz
03-07-2012, 10:36 PM
Nah, if scalping was in the game they'd probably have to raise the rating to 18 for gore.

JumpInTheFire13
03-07-2012, 10:42 PM
It depends if Connor will actually need to prove to somebody that he has killed his target. But if he's just doing it for himself (sort of like Ezio) then he doesn't need to prove it to anybody but himself.

Jexx21
03-07-2012, 10:47 PM
Nah, if scalping was in the game they'd probably have to raise the rating to 18 for gore.

The rating is already 18..

Rycay
03-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Wow, scalping. I can't even stand skinning animals in RDR. That's why I cheat and put the horse over it. Saves time and I don't have to look at a gory mess. I'm not sure I'd really like scalping, but if it's in-game, oh well.

dxsxhxcx
03-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Assassins don't take pride in taking the life of another person, they do it because is necessary, Mario taught Ezio after he killed Vieri that he should respect the dead, I believe the Assassins will do the same with Connor in AC3

eagleforlife1
03-07-2012, 11:00 PM
Mario taught Ezio after he killed Vieri that he should respect the dead, I believe the Assassins will do the same with Connor in AC3

Ah nostalgia. I miss playing through AC2 for the first time.

JumpInTheFire13
03-07-2012, 11:02 PM
Indeed

notafanboy
03-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Wow, scalping. I can't even stand skinning animals in RDR. That's why I cheat and put the horse over it. Saves time and I don't have to look at a gory mess. I'm not sure I'd really like scalping, but if it's in-game, oh well.

haha, i guess you liked the master hunter challenges then ?

freddie_1897
03-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Oh come on guys, I want to be able to make a disguise

pacmanate
03-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Actually thats a good point, isnt this the first AC game that is an 18?

KJGPlay
03-08-2012, 03:00 AM
Ezio became quite a jerk and did things for his girly instead of the Creed in Revelations.

Evenesque
03-08-2012, 03:12 AM
Use your head. Ubi doesn't want that kind of PR nightmare. It's not happening.

rileypoole1234
03-08-2012, 03:13 AM
The rating is already 18..

They're 16 in England. At least I think they are.

SleezeRocker
03-08-2012, 06:45 AM
I don't see it happenning since Assassin's don't resolve to dismemberment really, just shank and run lol

UNLESS he is required to, I really don't see this happening in AC3, that's what I think.

Moultonborough
03-08-2012, 06:57 AM
No, they would not even come close to putting something like that in their flagship franchise. Way too graphic, they don't need to push the envelope to an AO rating which would kill their sales. Even GTA does not do that. No reason AC has to.

pirate1802
03-08-2012, 07:14 AM

Aww man, me too :'|

Poodle_of_Doom
03-08-2012, 08:18 AM
Assassins don't take pride in taking the life of another person, they do it because is necessary, Mario taught Ezio after he killed Vieri that he should respect the dead, I believe the Assassins will do the same with Connor in AC3

Those who scalped people did so while they were still alive, and allowed them to die through this process.

KJGPlay
03-09-2012, 12:19 AM
What about a Templar Agent, only you don't see him / her do it, just find their victims.

LightRey
03-09-2012, 12:21 AM
What about a Templar Agent, only you don't see him / her do it, just find their victims.
That's a possibility I suppose. He could be similar to the MP characters you get to kill in ACB and ACR.

notafanboy
03-09-2012, 12:28 AM
im sorry but what does "scalp" mean ? (im not from the UK or north america so be nice)

JumpInTheFire13
03-09-2012, 12:36 AM
im sorry but what does "scalp" mean ? (im not from the UK or north america so be nice)
Google it ;)

UrDeviant1
03-09-2012, 12:43 AM
Jeez man, this Isn't Mortal Kombat, way too gruesome! The Redcoats attire Is pretty well renowned and symbolic, how about just a ****on from the jacket? lol

Kit572
03-09-2012, 12:45 AM

This is what i found

scalp

noun /skalp/ 
scalps, plural

The skin covering the head, excluding the face

The scalp with the hair belonging to it cut or torn away from an enemy's head as a battle trophy, esp. by an American Indian

verb /skalp/ 
scalped, past participle; scalped, past tense; scalping, present participle; scalps, 3rd person singular present

Take the scalp of (an enemy)

Punish severely

- if I ever heard anybody doing that, I'd scalp them

Sell (a ticket) for a popular event at a price higher than the official one

- tickets were scalped for forty times their face value

I'm probably wrong :D

JumpInTheFire13
03-09-2012, 12:54 AM
This is what i found

scalp

noun /skalp/ 
scalps, plural
The scalp with the hair belonging to it cut or torn away from an enemy's head as a battle trophy, esp. by an American Indian
verb /skalp/ 
scalped, past participle; scalped, past tense; scalping, present participle; scalps, 3rd person singular present
Punish severely

Why would you even think you're wrong? The second noun definition and the first verb definition are exactly what we're talking about.

LightRey
03-09-2012, 01:21 AM
This is what i found

scalp

noun /skalp/ 
scalps, plural
verb /skalp/ 
Punish severely

Nope, you're right. It's the verb (1st one).

mattscat16
03-09-2012, 01:35 AM
It depends if Connor will actually need to prove to somebody that he has killed his target. But if he's just doing it for himself (sort of like Ezio) then he doesn't need to prove it to anybody but himself.

ya i agree i dont think that connor will have a mentor, he's probably just fighting for his land

JumpInTheFire13
03-09-2012, 01:35 AM
Thanks LightRey, I totally did not just say that myself ;)

LightRey
03-09-2012, 02:09 AM
Thanks LightRey, I totally did not just say that myself ;)

D:
You're welcome. ;)

Sevenofnine-st
03-09-2012, 02:52 AM
I don't think Ubisoft will do it because, as Sabiox said, it would only turn into a real PR nightmare. But if they ever do put it in the game, it better be in a very optional, obscure mission lying somewhere deep inside the game. :) I would never, ever have Connor do it or even watch him do it as part of a cut-scene.

Lonesoldier2012
03-09-2012, 05:19 AM
If it is included i'm sure we could turn it off like we can blood.

gamertam
03-09-2012, 07:30 AM
Read it in a book, it said a pro****ation of the Legislature of Massachusetts of Nov. 3 1755 declared the Penobscot Indians "rebel, enemies and traitors" so for every scalp of a male Indian brought in is forty pound and for women and children brought in is twenty pounds.

So maybe, i imagine Connor would do a side mission and do some head scalping to return the favor.

True_Assassin92
03-09-2012, 11:30 AM
I think it could work out, because native americans were not afraid for taking the scalps of their invaders, neither would they be afraid if they would be in service to take some scalps of the british or there will still be tribes that fight against the colonials. So I think it's possible, it would hide the true killer, Connor, and this will cause them to be less suspicious about it. They might think some 'real' native americans killed their fellow soldiers and not an awesomesauce Assassin who serves the light! :rolleyes:

"And I want my scalps!"

LightRey
03-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Why are we obsessed with scalping anyways? It's not like it was standard practice among Native Americans.

notafanboy
03-09-2012, 01:34 PM
why would we scalp people ?, sounds pointless.

LightRey
03-09-2012, 01:36 PM
why would we scalp people ?, sound pointless.

Well they could apparently be sold for quite a lot of money.

EscoBlades
03-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Would never happen. Even in an 18 game, which AC III is currently provisionally rated at.

LightRey
03-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Would never happen. Even in an 18 game, which AC III is currently provisionally rated at.

yeah, that's what I figured. Regular blood and gore is one thing, but disfigurement? Not a chance.

AnthonyA85
03-09-2012, 05:42 PM
If we haven't got dismemberment and decapitation in this game series (and i've played games that have both of those - bloodrayne and stubbs the zombie - then we won't ever see scalping in this game. I doubt we'll actually even see connor skinning his animal kills, he'll probably just kneel down and pat them down, as if he's looting them, or pick them up and you have to carry them to a drop off piont.

So know, i'm 99.9% sure we won't ever see scalping in this game.

gamertam
03-10-2012, 04:38 AM
Oh for the love of.... in the gaming industry so far. We, i mean (me) at least have seen and heard things in video games that were much, Much worse than a scene like scalping someone for ACIII. For example; i've played game(s) with playmates pictures full breasts were on the displayed, i've seen game like Modern Warfare 2 is it? with the scene at the airport, and games where the f-bombs were dropping like no others. Ultra-violence, over-the-top blood and gory. Then there were games where the points of how brutally fatalities your opponents was the prized of the day.

I'm not saying there should be a gruesome in your face style head scalping scene, just--maybe at least hints that they were taking place. Afterall, isn't it ACIII an M=mature rating game anyway.
Okay, that's enough out of me for today.

SixKeys
03-10-2012, 04:55 AM
Oh for the love of.... in the gaming industry so far. We, i mean (me) at least have seen and heard things in video games that were much, Much worse than a scene like scalping someone for ACIII. For example; i've played game(s) with playmates pictures full breasts were on the displayed,

LOL, you think naked breasts are worse than a scalping?

kudos17
03-10-2012, 05:33 AM
LOL, you think naked breasts are worse than a scalping?

Welcome to western society...

Sure, show all the blood, gore, intestines, beheading, shooting, and axe-murdering all ya want. But God forbid you show some breasts or let a swear word loose! Think of the children!

gamertam
03-10-2012, 08:23 AM
Thank You Kudos17.

...in summary my thinking is that here in America, we and i uses the term loosely--are a bit desensitize to the violence giving the options what would be more to tolerate. Nudity, foul language and violence. It's just my opinion.

BeCk41
03-10-2012, 10:38 AM
I don't think the scalping will happen as this is a uneasy subject to casually put in a game. Not to say that this type of thing never happened, but it might shed Native American people in a not so good light, not to mention would be discomforting to do that to a character in the game. The skinning of animals is alright to sell the hides in the game, but when it comes to people that's just a no no, even though some people might or might not have done that back then. http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/sick/sick0003.gif

De Filosoof
03-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Oh for the love of.... in the gaming industry so far. We, i mean (me) at least have seen and heard things in video games that were much, Much worse than a scene like scalping someone for ACIII. For example; i've played game(s) with playmates pictures full breasts were on the displayed.
Hahaha! I lol'd so hard;).

De Filosoof
03-10-2012, 11:05 AM
I don't think the scalping will happen as this is a uneasy subject to casually put in a game. Not to say that this type of thing never happened, but it might shed Native American people in a not so good light, not to mention would be discomforting to do that to a character in the game. The skinning of animals is alright to sell the hides in the game, but when it comes to people that's just a no no, even though some people might or might not have done that back then. http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/sick/sick0003.gif

Why? They needed food and clothes. They always respected nature and were one with nature, Unlike western civilization today.
You think scalping an already dead animal is sick? I mean they used the whole animal so he didn't die for nothing.
You have probably no idea what happens with animals in western civilization today. Now that's SICK.

pacmanate
03-10-2012, 04:31 PM
This isnt dead island!

SixKeys
03-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Why? They needed food and clothes. They always respected nature and were one with nature, Unlike western civilization today.
You think scalping an already dead animal is sick? I mean they used the whole animal so he didn't die for nothing.

I think you're confusing "scalping" and "skinning". Skinning an animal is where you use the whole hide. Scalping was only done on (live) humans, as a means of brutal punishment. In this game skins are used for making clothes and trading for goods so it makes sense. Scalping enemy soldiers just seems cruel and unusual and I don't see what the point of it would be other than to revel in meaningless gore. I already felt some of Ezio's kill animations were starting to go overboard in ACR. The point of the assassins isn't to take delight in your enemy's suffering, it's to deal death swiftly and vanish into the crowd.

SleezeRocker
03-10-2012, 04:53 PM
Hahaha! I lol'd so hard;).

Hahaha same here! Yeah if anything movies are worse or downtown areas :P
http://images.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/10376498.jpg

gamertam
03-13-2012, 05:06 AM
Maybe i haven't been clear about my previous post. I don't expected to be in your face style cinematic cut-scene or do the "actual deed" as Connor in the game. Cool?

second; in my view the American Revolutionary War is dirty and dark. What hadn't been taught or mentioned are the women, slaves and Natives caught in the cross fire. Afterall this land belong to the Natives and they treated the foreigners with nothing but the utmost warmth hospitality. Common sense in me guesses that they did no wrong unless been provoked upon. Resulted? That they were provoked upon. I don't know the very details about the War. However, what i'm bother is the fact that there was a Pro****ation put out for every Natives male, female and children scalped. There's a reward. Evidences suggested it did happened and exist. One example would be an English officer named Edward Cornwallis.

if Ubisoft concerning what this might do to the Natives' reputation. I'm certainly believes that if Ubisoft can tell the true story about the Natives in the War and not just the American Rev. War story and what took placed. It's all good. No, i'm not crazy, i'm not an extremist either. It is History.

all i'm suggesting is, let have scalping in-game a way that truly respecting the Natives and at the same time. Let's not turn the British into some savages either.

that's all i'm saying.