PDA

View Full Version : George Washington's Speech in AC3 Trailer

brick177
03-06-2012, 06:30 PM
The time is now near at hand which must probably determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves; whether they are to have any property they can call their own; whether their houses and farms are to be pillaged and destroyed, and themselves consigned to a state of wretchedness from which no human efforts will deliver them. The fate of unborn millions will now depend, under God, on the courage and conduct of this army. Our cruel and unrelenting enemy leaves us only the choice of brave resistance, or the most abject submission. We have, therefore, to resolve to conquer or die.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, address to the Continental Army before the battle of Long Island, Aug. 27, 1776

-------------------------

The parts in bold are the parts he says in the trailer. I'm wondering, since it was winter in the trailer, if they just have him giving the same speech at multiple times? Or if there really was snow on Long Island in August that year? I have no problem with him giving the same speech at different locations. I've posted before how historically George Washington was never in the Mohawk Valley. So, what can we figure out about the battle displayed in the trailer? Was it part of the New Jersey/Pennsylvania Campaign which would include Valley Forge? Was there snow on Long Island in August? Or, did they break historical continuity and put George Washington in the Saratoga Campaign of the Mohawk Valley?

Rycay
03-06-2012, 06:38 PM
According to wikipedia Long Island can apparently get snow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Island

I wouldn't really know. I've never been to NY.

brick177
03-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Yeah, I know it does snow there, I meant in August when the battle took place.

jmk1999
03-06-2012, 06:48 PM
historical fiction meant to feel more dramatic. clearly it never snows in august... particularly when i know from experience that it's hot and humid in new york during month of august... the most you'll probably get is rain, which happened as well... ridiculously sticky, wet, humid rain... :rolleyes:

UrDeviant1
03-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Did anyone else think he had an English accent In the trailer? Is there a reason for this?

brick177
03-06-2012, 06:54 PM
They were English colonies, so they would have had at least mild English accents.

Radman500
03-06-2012, 06:56 PM
They were English colonies, so they would have had at least mild English accents.

I thought by that time early Americans and colonial Americans had a completely different accent then the british

D.I.D.
03-06-2012, 07:00 PM
I thought by that time early Americans and colonial Americans had a completely different accent then the british

I don't know, but many upper class accents on the East Coast of the USA still sound more or less like a kind of English accent today.

jmk1999
not necessarily... they still dealt with the british fairly regularly during import and export of traded goods. obviously there will be a fair amount of british occupation which is the primary reason why the revolution started. if the british occupation wasn't there, considering there's an entire ocean between the two continents, i find it hard to believe the colonists would lash out in the way they did. it's fairly unlikely that there would be very few brits there to let the colonists run around unchecked. for example, the boston massacre was supposedly started by some kids throwing snowballs or rocks... can't remember... at british soldiers occupying the area. this was one of the events that triggered the american revolution.

EnXess
No. All the way up to Lincoln's time American accents were very similar to English, or at least his was. As a point of reference for any Brits out there most accents were more from the Midlands (Norfolk, Cambridgeshire) than other parts of the country. It's actually quite funny to imagine these great American figures of history with what we would think of as quite humourous accents.

UrDeviant1
03-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Ok so the Americans still spent a lot of time conversing with the British folk and that's why he sounds English? I think I get It.

UrDeviant1
03-06-2012, 07:05 PM
No. All the way up to Lincoln's time American accents were very similar to English, or at least his was. As a point of reference for any Brits out there most accents were more from the Midlands (Norfolk, Cambridgeshire) than other parts of the country. It's actually quite funny to imagine these great American figures of history with what we would think of as quite humourous accents.

Lol true, Imagine If he had a full on brummy accent. Yam Yams wanna' go to woooor?

brick177
03-06-2012, 07:06 PM
I just saw a show on different accents in the United States and it talked about how it takes 2.5 generations to create a completely distinct accent. During this time they were still well within 2.5 generations for many immigrants and new immigrants were always arriving.

A really accurate series done by HBO called "John Adams" will give you a good indication of American Accents at the time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nrvpZxMfKaU

EnXess
03-06-2012, 07:08 PM
not necessarily... they still dealt with the british fairly regularly during import and export of traded goods. obviously there will be a fair amount of british occupation which is the primary reason why the revolution started. if the british occupation wasn't there, considering there's an entire ocean between the two continents, i find it hard to believe the colonists would lash out in the way they did. it's fairly unlikely that there would be very few brits there to let the colonists run around unchecked.
Well the reason America really wanted to have sovereignty is because of wealth and power (not represented in Parliament) and so I don't believe it'd be difficult to coerce British overseers to sympathise with the Colonists. Saying that, we do know at least 20% of the colonists were loyalist anyway so it's hard to even imagine the cause gathering that much momentum against the will of 20% of the country.

That may not sound like much but it's the equivalent in modern America of ignoring the wishes of every Jew, Muslim, Hindu. Buddhist and even every Atheist.

Radman500
03-06-2012, 07:09 PM
not necessarily... they still dealt with the british fairly regularly during import and export of traded goods. obviously there will be a fair amount of british occupation which is the primary reason why the revolution started. if the british occupation wasn't there, considering there's an entire ocean between the two continents, i find it hard to believe the colonists would lash out in the way they did. it's fairly unlikely that there would be very few brits there to let the colonists run around unchecked. for example, the boston massacre was supposedly started by some kids throwing snowballs or rocks... can't remember... at british soldiers occupying the area. this was one of the events that triggered the american revolution.
So in essense British occupation of the colonies was exaggerated the brats were not that tyrannical to the American colonists

CanterburyTales
03-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Did anyone else think he had an English accent In the trailer? Is there a reason for this?

I think he had a touch of an English accent, or perhaps a bit of French. In fact, to me, it sounded like the voice of Marcel Jeannin (the guy who voiced King Richard in Assassin's Creed I), who is French-Canadian.

Rycay
03-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Yeah, I know it does snow there, I meant in August when the battle took place.

Oh, I completely missed where you said August. Sorry.

Captain Tomatoz
03-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Does anyone find it ironic that Washington calls Americans slaves to the British. Yet he kept and made money from lots of slaves

Rycay
03-07-2012, 12:31 AM
I just saw a show on different accents in the United States and it talked about how it takes 2.5 generations to create a completely distinct accent. During this time they were still well within 2.5 generations for many immigrants and new immigrants were always arriving.

A really accurate series done by HBO called "John Adams" will give you a good indication of American Accents at the time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nrvpZxMfKaU

OMG, I remember watching this in my US History class. Now I regret not paying more attention.

Lonesoldier2012
03-07-2012, 12:32 AM
Connor starts off in Mohawk Valley. then he runs through the forest to the battlefield.

kriegerdesgottes
03-07-2012, 12:40 AM

No the truth is no one is 100% certain how they sounded at the time or how similar the accents were but they must have still been fairly similar if not exactly the same. It's interesting because the English didn't start coming to the New World to settle until 1607 unless you count Roanoke so the English had been there about 150 years or so but still had very strong ties with England and they were referred to by even the normal people of England as "our subjects in the New World" which is not something they enjoyed being called by average British people at the time.

The13Doctors
03-07-2012, 02:04 AM
But... the trailer took place in 1777, I wonder why they felt they had to alter it.